OtakuBoards

Reputation System: Yes or No?

James

Do you want a reputation system on OB?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a reputation system on OB?

• Yes - allow all members to add rep points.
    • Yes - allow only Moderators to add rep points.
    • No reputation system at all, thanks!

[font=franklin gothic medium]So we've been talking about reputation here a few times at OB and I think it's time to just throw this to a vote again.

If you want to view the latest thread related to this topic, [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?p=846545"][b]click here[/b][/url].

Basically, a reputation system (also known as a "karma" system) allows members to "like" or "dislike" other members' posts. It's a bit similar to what you'd see with Facebook's "like" feature.

Over time, members can accumulate reputation points and this can be used in a variety of ways. Either we can simply display your reputation on the forums or we'd have the option to give you a little trophy or something like that - if we do add rep, I'm sure we can work out a good way to handle it.

In any case, I've put together some poll options for you guys to vote on. You can also use this thread to discuss/debate the proposed feature. Happy voting![/font]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey James im glad you got this going it will be good to see what people think about this idea:) I personally think its good for moderators to be able to have control of this rep system but not people. I can see people posting all over the place with little one liners and getting their friends to rep them or something. Would be better if the mods handled it..however we COULD see how it handled being controlled by public..and if problems arose they could be switched.. just a thought :)

....Woohoo First Vote!

To say that only mods should be able to affect karma is to imply that the karma system was put in place for anything other than fun. However, I think we all agree that we don't really need a system like this, and it wouldn't add much in terms of convenience or functionality to the site; it'd just be for kicks.

And as long as it is, why does it just have to be a "this person rules/sucks" meter? We could easily change it to a system where there's fun times on both ends of the spectrum, such as an RPG-esque "good/evil" meter. People like Boo would probably head to the "good" side very quickly, and others like that corporate tyrant Gavin would be dominating the "evil" side. If someone actually wants to move their meter one way or the other (or if they want to stay as neutral as possible), they might even change the way they post accordingly. Hell, you could conceivably base entire OB events off of a uniquely-themed reputation system.

Oh, and if you did "good/evil", you'd obviously have to change it to "naughty/nice" during the holidays. But do I even have to say that?

[quote name='Xyandar']I personally think its good for moderators to be able to have control of this rep system but not people. I can see people posting all over the place with little one liners and getting their friends to rep them or something. [/QUOTE][font=helvetica]Look, I've been there, and this is the truth: mods are as cliquey as anyone else. If we do this, it should be open for anyone to participate Anything else would take away from the fun of it.

[quote name='John]And as long as it is, why does it just have to be a "this person rules/sucks" meter? We could easily change it to a system where there's fun times on both ends of the spectrum, such as an RPG-esque "good/evil" meter. [ . . . '] Hell, you could conceivably base entire OB events off of a uniquely-themed reputation system.[/quote]
I think this is a really neat idea.[/font]

[quote name='John']And as long as it is, why does it just have to be a "this person rules/sucks" meter? We could easily change it to a system where there's fun times on both ends of the spectrum, such as an RPG-esque "good/evil" meter.[/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]I actually like this idea as well. Changing the descriptions, and maybe the images associated (I'd have to look into this) is definitely possible and would likely make this a little more fun. It might also fix the issue of people abusing the rep system as it would really be in place entirely for fun. This is definitely something I think we should consider.[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=navy]I also like John's idea because I definately can't stand the whole neg rep side of things. People tend to get real shady to neg rep you just for not liking ______. And that definately gets frustrating. So John's idea is definately a good way to be more creative with the neg repping side of things, and if it's done like that then I'm all for it.[/size][/color]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I pretty much agree with John and Sara. I'm not sure exactly how it works in terms of the theme (I wasn't aware that there were any words associated with it...just positive and negative rep - but I haven't yet seen it in action). Very cool idea though.

And if we go ahead with it, I would tend to want to keep it open to everybody personally, [i]especially[/i] if it has that fun theme to it. I tend to agree that opening it only to Moderators kind of defeats the purpose of the thing anyway.

Great ideas, guys. :catgirl:[/font]

[quote name='John']We could easily change it to a system where there's fun times on both ends of the spectrum, such as an RPG-esque "good/evil" meter. People like Boo would probably head to the "good" side very quickly, and others like that corporate tyrant Gavin would be dominating the "evil" side. If someone actually wants to move their meter one way or the other (or if they want to stay as neutral as possible), they might even change the way they post accordingly. [B]Hell, you could conceivably base entire OB events off of a uniquely-themed reputation system.[/B][/quote]

[SIZE=1]You have officially piqued my interest.

Also I'm suing you for libel and defamation of character over the use of the term "tyrant" to describe me. Those socio-economic studies which indicated my business empire gives me a large degree of political control, autonomy and immunity from legal requirements have since been acknowledged by their authors to be grossly inaccurate, at least those by authors who can be found... [/SIZE]

Hmmm I've gone back and forth on this mostly just cuz of what I've seen when it comes to rep points on different forums. Then again Otaku doesn't seem to have the problems we had on said forums so I'm probably just over thinking it. Though it might still be a good idea giving the mods some sort of control over it. And John's idea is also a good one.

@_@ Confusion ahoy!

I dunno I just see it more as if there are any issues that pop up with it the mods are gonna hear about it first. Maybe give em a go at it, however it gets set up, and then introduce it to the rest of the forum?

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Sara][font=helvetica']Look, I've been there, and this is the truth: mods are as cliquey as anyone else. If we do this, it should be open for anyone to participate Anything else would take away from the fun of it.[/font][/quote]Exactly. Being a moderator doesn't instantly make us unbiased.

The way I see it, the only thing we need to worry about, as mods, is making sure it runs well so everyone involved can have fun with it. So I'm for it being open to everyone giving reputation. [quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']Also I'm suing you for libel and defamation of character over the use of the term "tyrant" to describe me. [/SIZE][/quote]Denied. :p[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]Obstruction of justice, I'll see you in court as well.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=navy]Would you actually want to go to court against someone that's in/been in law school? They're trained liars :p[/size][/color]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']I'll see your parent and raise you a Godfather/uncle and two first cousins with a third in training.[/SIZE][/quote]I raise you freshly baked cookies and brownies! :catgirl:

I honestly don't completely understand the reputation system, mainly because I've never used one, but the idea of specific themes sounds like it could be a lot of fun. So I voted yes, with the option that everyone is involved.[/FONT]

I dunno what to think about this anymore i keep agreein with it but now hearing everyone elses comments, I don';t know if its worth it.. I mean it'd be neat for something to do... And no offense im not a fan of that good/evil thing that was brought up. I mean its neat...but i dont wanna be categorized as good or evil. Just my opinion though.