OtakuBoards

Reputation System: Yes or No?

James

Do you want a reputation system on OB?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a reputation system on OB?

• Yes - allow all members to add rep points.
    • Yes - allow only Moderators to add rep points.
    • No reputation system at all, thanks!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Petie'][COLOR=Blue]Okay, so here's what I've gathered from this thread so far:

[B]Rep Ability[/B]: All options open to all
[B]Rep Format[/B]: Good vs. Evil
[B]Anonymous Rep[/B]: TBA (See note below)
[B]Rep Comments[/B]: No

Are we all in agreement with the above? If so, the only thing we really need to discuss at this point is whether or not you should remain anonymous when you rep someone. Remember that there is no way to make it completely public so the only affect this setting would have would be to allow the person receiving the rep to see who gave it to them.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Perfect. This sounds like a good compromise that everyone can be happy with.

I think it would be great to see who voted you good/evil, but I don't really mind either way.[/font]

In my opinion, anonymous would be better. I know in my personal experience with bad/negative/evil rep, I'd get pissed off and start hounding the person that gave it to me, and I know I'm not the only person like that. I don't think it'd be good for the system or forum if some, or even everyone, was running and trolling and giving revenge bad rep. I just don't see it working out well.

[quote name='Petie'][COLOR=Blue]Okay, so here's what I've gathered from this thread so far:

[B]Rep Ability[/B]: All options open to all
[B]Rep Format[/B]: Good vs. Evil
[B]Anonymous Rep[/B]: TBA (See note below)
[B]Rep Comments[/B]: No
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Okie-dokie!:)

So when is it expected to be up and running?

[quote name='chibi-master']Okie-dokie!:)

So when is it expected to be up and running?[/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]I'm not sure we have a time frame yet. We still need to determine whether we want anonymous rep or not first and then do some back-end work.

[/COLOR][quote name='Citric']In my opinion, anonymous would be better. I know in my personal experience with bad/negative/evil rep, I'd get pissed off and start hounding the person that gave it to me, and I know I'm not the only person like that. I don't think it'd be good for the system or forum if some, or even everyone, was running and trolling and giving revenge bad rep. I just don't see it working out well.[/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]This was a concern with the normal rep system, as seen just about everywhere else, but the more lighthearted Good vs. Evil system should generally prevent that kind of abuse because it's no longer based on the quality of your posts or even on what you're saying.[/COLOR]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][QUOTE=Ace][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Coolio. Now to make sure the ratings skew the way I want, I'm gonna go play football with a live puppy.

As the ball.[/FONT][/QUOTE]I'm not getting the necessary evil vibe here. Maybe it's because you're already the slave of someone who[I] is[/I] an evil overlord... :p[/FONT]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]I'm not particularly picky about anonymity. If people don't wanna know, fine. If people wanna know, well, if they take it too seriously, then that's their own problem. :p

But yeah. I'm neutral on that.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]I agree.

Wait. Who compromised, again? I missed something.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]You definitely missed something. Petie said the following:

[b]Rep Ability:[/b] All options open to all
[b]Rep Format:[/b] Good vs. Evil
[b]Anonymous Rep:[/b] TBA (See note below)
[b]Rep Comments:[/b] No

We've had varying points of view on each of the above items. But by holding a vote and then discussing these options in more detail, we've so far been able to come up with a system that will suit most people. So at this point we've reached a pretty good compromise between those who want a rep system of [i]some[/i] kind and those who don't want one, on the basis of it being a popularity contest (the Good vs. Evil thing addresses that).

The only other thing I'd really like to see - but I'm not sure if it's possible - is the ability for users to disable or "hide" their rep. This could be a good opt-out for people who just aren't interested at all (a bit like displaying post counts).

But again, that may not be too easy to do, because right now I don't think we can control it via the Admin CP.

In terms of when it'll be up and running, I think we need to decide if rep will be anonymous (as Petie said). And then we need to actually implement the system. So it'll spend a bit of time under development, but hopefully not too long.[/font]

[quote name='James'][FONT=franklin gothic medium]The only other thing I'd really like to see - but I'm not sure if it's possible - is the ability for users to disable or "hide" their rep. This could be a good opt-out for people who just aren't interested at all (a bit like displaying post counts).

But again, that may not be too easy to do, because right now I don't think we can control it via the Admin CP.[/FONT][/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]This is not only possible but very easy to do. The reason you're not seeing it is because you're looking in under the main reputation options. The setting that allows users to hide their rep is actually in the usergroup options and I'll definitely go through and enable that for all groups.[/COLOR]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']But by holding a vote and then discussing these options in more detail, we've so far been able to come up with a system that will suit most people.[/font][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]OH OH right, 'cause I totally don't pay attention to any sort of humbug like [I]discussions[/I], no sir. 'Specially not two threads worth of it. Can't be bothered.

I mostly was getting the impression that there was actual opposition, where the worst I was seeing was disinterest, and yeah, the alignment thing pretty well got rid of that. But that's what happens when people bat ideas around and express concerns and reservations, you know.[/FONT]

[size=1]I don't see the point of a rep system, but if I can hide it I guess it's a non-issue. I mean, once I learned I could block certain members I stopped complaining about them pretty much instantly.

-Shy[/size]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Allamorph][FONT=Calibri]OH OH right, 'cause I totally don't pay attention to any sort of humbug like [I]discussions[/I'], no sir. 'Specially not two threads worth of it. Can't be bothered.[/FONT][/quote]Wait, we're supposed to actually read what people post? :confused:

[spoiler]I kid. lol[/spoiler][/FONT]

[quote=Allamorph][font=Calibri]
I mostly was getting the impression that there was actual opposition, where the worst I was seeing was disinterest, and yeah, the alignment thing pretty well got rid of that. But that's what happens when people bat ideas around and express concerns and reservations, you know.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yep. This is why it's pretty cool when people come together and constructively work out a solution. I think the system we've all come up with is pretty good.

And Petie, I'm really happy that people can choose to hide their rep. Wherever it's possible I like to let people opt-out of this sort of stuff, because I can see that it would be annoying for some people.

Also, I've just sent Petie a sample and it looks like we can get this to work the way we're envisioning. Hopefully it won't take too long to put everything together.[/font]

I could go either way on anonymity, but if I had to choose, I'd say I'm for anonymous rep since it might make for more fun forum conversation.

And let's give it up to Petie for making all the gears turn so this can work. Well done, m'boy.

[IMG]http://web.mit.edu/ryangray/Public/Gnus/thumbs_up.jpg[/IMG]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Xyandar']I am surprised this is STILL up for discussion lol...[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]It's not really, we have already decided which way to go with the system. Petie and I are working to implement it, along with a batch of other changes.

I've just left the thread open anyway, in case anyone wants to comment further.[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]I've just left the thread open anyway, in case anyone wants to comment further.[/font][/QUOTE][font=helvetica]Well, [i]I[/i], for one, am outraged by this decision.[/font]

James mentioned this possible rep system a few months back in one of our randomly rare IMs. The notion of a good/evil RPG-like rep system got me wet.

So even though I rarely/never post here anymore, I wholeheartedly support the idea, and lovingly long for the day when Shinmaru can get voted pure evil very quickly.