OtakuBoards

The Sleepers Underground

Raiha

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]So, as some of you may have heard, I'm seriously considering opening up a new Sleepers RPG, reminiscent of the one I did in 2007 with input from various excellent players.

I'm here to gauge interest mostly, to see how people would feel about posting in a randomly paced story based largely on your own self interest. Setting is San Francisco, Beijing, Xinjiang, etc in 2076. Chinese mythology, alchemy, other magic, and advanced technology figure heavily into the plot, with the focus being on Chinese style gang wars and political interplay.

Any takers?[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Raiha'][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=darkorchid]posting in a randomly paced story based largely on your own self interest. [/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=indigo]... sounds like something that should normally be avoided. But this, I would think, would be the exception. Having no idea how your previous effort went, I can't say much, but the idea sounds immensely fun. I'm interested to know more about the actual plot, or lack thereof, if that's more the point. What exactly would be going on?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Gang wars, political folderol and treachery, mystical alchemical whatnot, and other such charming delights.

Typically you'd belong to one of the several factions who are either at war with each other or currently experiencing the period between wars. This is known as peacetime, or alternatively;

The time wherein factions lie to each other extravagantly before resuming violence.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
[size=1]

It's been a while, but I'll give it a shot. I could use the writing practice.

I'm a bisexual male prostitute who belongs to the Sisterhood who also acts as an assassin and bodyguard for the Lady of a Hundred Paces.

Hope that's interesting enough.[/size]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]It certainly is original. Granted your nickname isn't, but I'll forgive you purely because your character's pictures were just oh so edible.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[size=1]

Completely alterable, but I can't really think of one that would describe his character any better.

And edible doesn't even begin to describe... [/size]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=DarkRed]Zen[/COLOR], that's gross.

Incidentally, I burgled the zodiac chart from Wikipedia and added a third 60-year cycle to it that runs from 2044-2103, in case anyone wants to double-check their sign with their age. (Although to keep the file size from being stupid I did chop off a bit of the bottom of the chart; if you really want a year earlier than 2044 that got slashed in that second column there, the original chart can be found [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_zodiac#The_years"][COLOR="Blue"]here[/COLOR][/URL].)

I plan on finishing this (or at least mostly finishing it) today. If I don't, I have a load of time tomorrow to work with.

[B]Edit:[/B] Of course, depending on exact dates, is it conceivable that a person might be one year off (on either side) of their 'mathematical' sign.[/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Just something that was bothering me as I was reading over some of the sign ups, where are people getting their element/year combinations from ? It's just the ones I've derived from Wikipedia's article on the Chinese calender [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexagenary_cycle"][B]here[/B][/URL] doesn't seem to support them.

For an example someone who is 18 (born 2058) would be (I think) an Earth Tiger. Crossed references with the Year of the Tiger article, previous Earth Tiger was 1998 and moving ahead sixty years (a 12 Branches and 5 Element rotation) brings you to 2058.

I openly admit here I might be wrong as I've been doing the number crunching in my head.

[B]Edit: [/B]God damn you Al.
[/SIZE]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri][COLOR=DarkRed]Zen[/COLOR], that's gross.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[size=1]

Don't be such a prude.

Also, not to hate, but I totally feel like Inuyasha Fandom is trying to sandbag me.[/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]First, thank you for the spreadsheet. Everyone double check. If you're wrong, secret zombie ninjas will kill you in the opening post.

Secondly, play nice. I'm sure you boys with the killer crazy man hos can figure out a happy medium to avoid overlap. Plus you two look nothing alike, which helps. Of course you two could do the Zoolander equivalent of a showdown. My character would get a big old laugh out of that.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I have to confess, my socks are not thus far rocked. More like graveled.

First off, I thought I was rather clear on the part where this story is a focus on Chinese gang life, and a Japanese character makes no sense. The only reason Gavin is moonlighting the less hot brother of Jason Statham is because he asked me first.

Also, there is a dichotomy between her professions. I seriously doubt, even in the future, that police officers can also be swimsuit models. In fact, it seems ridiculous, even to my thoroughly modern sensibilities.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]This may have already been answered, but I am wondering if you are planning to have a more centralized plot. I mean, will you have chapters or landmarks or anything? Or are you really going to just leave the general plotline open completely?

The Auditions thread sets a scene but it doesn't really establish a plot spine, other than the fact that these different groups are perpetually in competition. I wanted to ask about that because if I sign-up it might help me decide on a character a bit more.[/font]

[FONT=Calibri]As I understand it from personal discussions, the game is a fully collaborative effort, meaning that the storyline will develop and move as the players will it to, and those who are more active and coordinate more with each other will have more say.

I am not sure if m'lady has ulterior motives, however, but I have not asked directly, either.[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"]If anything like the first Sleepers RP, it will start relatively open with general themes being showcased and have aspirations toward a clash on multiple fronts. Politics and personal agendas will probably tie characters together rather quickly. But as Allamorph already said, whatever direction is taken is ultimately in the twisted mind of our hostess.

The RP ended somewhat untimely the first go around so it's difficult to take from that where a more centralized story may come into play, but there is more than enough savvy brain power to go around to make something worthwhile out of the second go.[/FONT]

As for Excel's character, I know her in real life, so she discussed it with me beforehand, because I made that conclusion as well.

My brain: WTF?

Excel: MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

But, she had wanted it to be like an element of her character's past. She is a bouncy bimbo, after all. Excel is really busy with school exams until the end of the week, so her brain is kind of frazzled. Her character will improve, I promise.

Note: The swimsuit model part has been edited out. I checked lol

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Bouncy bimbo is one thing, but such a personality better have a layer of cunning underneath. People that don't have much in the way of higher brain function will be slated to die off very quickly.

But again, the biggest problem remains ethnicity. A Japanese cop in a Chinese neighborhood would be shot and quietly disposed of in the nearest container of lye.[/FONT][/COLOR]