OtakuBoards

[OFFICIAL] The OtakuBoards Nifty Fifty of 2009 - Nominations

Shy

For TheOtaku (because I, too, fail at OB)

[B]What is it?[/B]
Movie Sign

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]
Move Sign has been going on for over a year, and is something that I’ve been attending since March. It is the best way to spend Sunday evening, and even though some of the movies we watch are horrendous (and even make some of us cry), it is something to look forward to every week.

[B]What is it?[/B]
AnimePulse Podcasts

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]
Ichigo and Batou (along with the occasional Weltall and Tim) are the best at spreading around the anime news. Not only are they hilariously funny, they have great stories to share and “it’s a good time” as Ichigo says. I definitely look forward to listening to it every week. It is the best podcast around.

[B]What is it?[/B]
Nightbeck’s Block Busters

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]
When I’m stuck and have nothing to write, I simply look at Becky’s Block Busters and ideas flow through the brain. They provide for great late night fun and great stories, too.
[B]
What is it?[/B]
April Fools '09

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]
We all got Cullen Cancer for one full day. Well, besides Shin, who even to this day still has it. I remember actually believing Adam's story, despite it being April Fools day >>;
[B]
Who is it?[/B]
Desbreko

[B]Why is he nifty?[/B]
He always posts the right image at the exact right time in Chat. He is the Image Shack Master. And because his sparkles are amazing.

[B]Who is it?[/B]
Nehszriah

[B]Why is she nifty?[/B]
For many different reasons. She’s an excellent author, and awesome artist, and makes great jokes. But most of all, she is an awesome friend!

[B]Who is it?[/B]
Katana

[B]Why is she nifty?[/B]
Katana is the reason why I am into MST3k and Doctor Who. She helps run Movie Sign and almost never misses an episode. She is a wonderful artist and also writes great stories. She lets me bother her on Skype all the time. She’s an awesome friend too!

[B]Who is it?[/B]
Redjacketalchemis

[B]Why is he nifty?[/B]
Red may be a little crazy sometimes, but we love him all the same. He does a great job moderating Chat and is always very kind to everyone. He always makes sure I’m watching the best anime series. Red is also the only person that will take my abuse. XD

[B]Staff Member of the Year:[/B] SunfallE. She does a great job keeping the site under control and always works really hard.

[B]Storyteller of the Year:[/B] Wayward Warrior. His TheOtaku fiction “Final Fantasy Otaku” is a huge hit. Wayward is one of the best authors around; all of his stories are great, not just FFO. And with Dueling Souls in the making, many other awesome stories should be coming our way.
[B]
Otaku of the Year:[/B] Well, I guess this doesn’t completely count as Otaku, but it is close. Katana! She is a devoted Mystery Science Theater fan, and also a huge Doctor Who fan. Kat does a lot to spread around the series, which includes making fan art and writing fan fiction.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll probably add more later.

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][B]Who is it?[/B]
SojiRem

[B]Why are they nifty?[/B]
For their endless enthusiasm and friendliness in chat, and their inability to be sneaky is always amusing to watch.

[B]Who is it?[/B]
AnimeArchAngel

They prove time and time again, that no matter what your age, you can be an outstanding member who constantly contributes to the site.

[B]What is it?[/B]
Challenges

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]
It makes it easy for member to host different kinds of contests that anyone can take a part in.

[B]What is it?[/B]
Quiz Saving

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]
Because being able to peek at what others got on quizzes is fun.

[B]What is it?[/B]
Birthday Alerts

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]
It makes it easy for a forgetful person like me to remember that special day for all of my friends.

[B]What is it?[/B]
[URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/sunfalle/view/81383/so_i_herd_u_liek_twilite/"]Cullen Cancer[/URL]

[B]Why is it nifty? [/B]
Because seeing everyone stuck with Edward Cullen avatars at theOtaku on April Fools was fantastically amusing.

[B]Who is it?[/B]
Desbreko

For being the Loli King and master of linking anime screenshots in chat.

[B]Who is it?[/B]
Allamorph

Because he?ll try to tell you he?s not when he?s easily the most direct, honest and amusing person I?ve ever met online.

[B]Member of the Year:[/B] Adam
[B]Male Member of the Year:[/B] Korey
[B]Female Member of the Year:[/B] chibi-master
[B]Staff Member of the Year:[/B] SunfallE
[B]Otaku of the Year: [/B]The ever spazzy MewMew
[B]Funniest Member:[/B] Allamorph
[B]Storyteller of the Year:[/B] Ace
[B]Thread of the Year:[/B] Padded Room Party[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I should do this yes? Just the quickies since I'm exceptionally lazy. D:
[B]
Member of the Year:[/B] Indi
[B]Male Member of the Year:[/B] Kastom
[B]Female Member of the Year: [/B]AngelZakuro
[B]Staff Member of the Year:[/B] SomeGuy
[B]Otaku of the Year: [/B]MewMew
[B]Funniest Member: [/B]Shinmaru
[B]Thread of the Year: [/B]Graphic Worm (because it keeps bringing me back to OB no matter what.) ;]

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[b]What is it?[/b]
Anime Central

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
Because someone needs to love the poor thing. :( And I do love it so.

[b]Who is it?[/b]
Magus

[b]Why is he nifty?[/b]
Just as I love Anime Central, I like people who continue to post in it. I salute you, good sir!

[b]What is it?[/b]
Cullen Cancer

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
Aside from being hilarious, I love that people seem to have resigned themselves to the Edward Cullen avatar I have sported in Chat for nearly a year now.

[b]Who is it?[/b]
Desbreko

[b]Why is he nifty?[/b]
[URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/finalfantasyotaku/view/143007/taco_tropes/2"][b]Because we are apparently heterosexual life partners[/b][/URL] now, and this should be celebrated.

[b]What is it?[/b]
[b][URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=60117"]Anime Club[/URL][/b]

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
Even though the club faded into the sunset, I had a great time watching a bunch of shows I might not have watched otherwise with great people. I salute thee, Anime Club.

[b]Who is it?[/b]
Sara

[b]Why is she nifty?[/b]
Because she showed up again and immediately made the forums more fun. You know a Sara thread will lead to good times.

[b]Who is it?[/b]
Adam

[b]Why is he nifty?[/b]
The guy is a huge goofball and terribly strange, but he also works his *** off for the benefit of the site, and who knows if any of us would have run into each other if he hadn't built theOtaku.

[b]What is it?[/b]
[url=http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/chatlogs][b]Chatlogs of Doom[/b][/url]

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
Even though the logs are sometimes hit and miss, the best posts are absolutely hilarious. We are a bizarre bunch of people.

[b]Who is it?[/b]
SomeGuy

[b]Why is he nifty?[/b]
Not only is he a funny, easygoing guy and a great storyteller, he should also be commended for his [URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/someguy/view/127672/my_way_of_remembering_._._./"][b]yearly Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day/Arimistice Day posts[/b][/URL]. Those are always great, interesting reads.

---

1) Member of the Year: [b]SunfallE[/b]
2) Male Member of the Year: [b]Adam[/b]
3) Female Member of the Year: [b]Indi[/b]
4) Staff Member of the Year: [b]SunfallE[/b]
5) Otaku of the Year: [b]Gavin[/b]
6) Funniest Member: [b]SomeGuy[/b]
7) Storyteller of the Year: [b]SomeGuy[/b]

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Who is it?[/B]
Desbreko & Michiyo Shimizu

They’re like having a real live pair of anime characters around with their antics. Watching Des get maimed for hugging Michi is in chat is terribly amusing. Just as Michi’s choice of maiming from shooting, launching him into space and tossing him into a volcano is. It’s always entertaining.

[B]What is it?[/B]
Threads like ‘What are you listening to?’ and ‘What are you reading?’

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]
It’s more than just seeing what fellow otaku’s are listening to or currently reading. I’ve gotten exposed to some excellent artists just by checking out what others are posting about.

[B]Who is it?[/B]
Members like SojiRem, AnimeArchAngel & somegirl.

They’re among the friendliest and kindest members you’ll ever meet.

[B]Who is it?[/B]
Chat Staff

These members freely devote a part of their time to keep things running smooth for everyone. They make my job all that much easier since I know I can depend on them to take care of things.

[B]What is it?[/B]
Adam’s new site, 100 Things I Learned

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]
Because it shows just how hard Adam is willing to work to improve the site. This was more than just some side project; this was him spending the time to learn even more about setting up a website in order to further benefit the network as a whole. He’s truly dedicated to the growth of the site on a level that few know about or fully understand.

[B]1) Member of the Year:[/B] Newbies. Because without you, we’d be lost.
[B]2) Male Member of the Year:[/B] redjacketalchemis. For his Replica antics in chat.
[B]3) Female Member of the Year:[/B] chibi-master. For her silly antics in the padded room thread.
[B]4) Staff Member of the Year:[/B] Panda.
[B]5) Otaku of the Year:[/B] Our fangirl members like Sangome and Miss Anonymous.
[B]6) Funniest Member:[/B] Allamorph.
[B]7) Storyteller of the Year:[/B] Wayward Warrior
[B]8) RPG of the Year:[/B] Shinigami Dance. For the sheer amount of fun I’ve had with it.
[B]9) Thread of the Year:[/B] Padded Room Party[/COLOR][/FONT]

I hope this isn't too late @_@

What is it? [B]Movie Sign[/B]

Why is it nifty? [B]Because this is the one chat event that has withstood the test of time and lasted for over a year, with no sign (lolpun) of slowing down any time soon.[/B]

What is it? [B]Desbreko's screencaps[/B]

Why is it nifty? [B]Because no matter the situation, Des always has a screencap in his Imageshack.[/B]

[CENTER]-----------------------[/CENTER]

Male Member of the Year: [B]Kastom[/B]
Female Member of the Year: [B]AnimeArchAngel[/B]
Staff Member of the Year: [B]SunfallE [/B]
Otaku of the Year: [B]Miss Anonymous & Sangome[/B]
Funniest Member: [B]Ace[/B]
Storyteller of the Year: [B]Wayward Warrior[/B]
RPG of the Year: [B]The Great Rebellion[/B]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][B]Who is it?[/B]
Kei

She?s Ceiling Cat. What more do you need to know?

[B]What is it?[/B]
[URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/indi/view/100392/magical_girl_adam!/"][U]Magical Girl Adam![/U][/URL]

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]
Because Indi totally pwned Adam with the magical girl avatar she made.

[B]Who is it?[/B]
Chibi-master

They?re like ten members in one with their hyper active posting and spazzing. Tis fun to watch.

[B]1) Member of the Year:[/B] Adam, for his goofy antics in chat.
[B]2) Male Member of the Year:[/B] Gavin, who will politely steal your women and booze when you?re not looking. :p
[B]3) Female Member of the Year:[/B] chibi-master, the spazzy one.
[B]4) Staff Member of the Year:[/B] Retired Staff. Your hard work is why we're still here.
[B]5) Otaku of the Year:[/B] Definitely Sangome.
[B]6) Funniest Member:[/B] Allamorph.
[B]7) Storyteller of the Year: [/B]Ace.
[B]8) RPG of the Year: [/B] Shinigami Dance & Almagest Expedition. Both are great fun.
[B]9) Thread of the Year:[/B] Padded Room Party.[/FONT]

[font=franklin gothic medium][b]Who is it?[/b]
Nerdsy

[b]Why is he nifty?[/b]
He's still here, still cool and still posts in [color=hotpink]pink[/color].

[b]What is it?[/b]
[url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=59994"]The Graphic Worm 2009[/url]

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
The GW is one of the coolest projects the network has ever seen and it's [i]still[/i] going, thanks to heaps of commitment from our fantastic artists.

[b]What is it?[/b]
[url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=60018"]Put Down That Sea Kitten You Monster![/url]

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
2009 kicked off with a bang, with PETA sinking to laughable new depths. Come to think of it, I could really go for some sea kitten right now...

[b]What is it?[/b]
[url="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/otakuboards"]OB World[/url]

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
Well, for better or worse, we've kept this thing going for around a year now. The format has changed a bit recently, which should actually make it worth visiting too. Yay!

[b]What is it?[/b]
[url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=59441"]lolmembers [Game][/url]

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
Gavin really needs kudos for this one. It's a ridiculously simple concept and yet it's extremely unique and fun. 151 posts later and it became one of our biggest games/events in 2009.

[b]Who is it?[/b]
ChibiHorsewoman

[b]Why is she nifty?[/b]
For one thing, quite a few people refer to her via an acronym ("CHW"). This alone is kind of cool and is, interestingly enough, a privilege usually only bestowed on rappers and cult leaders.

Aside from that though, CHW was one of the most prolific thread creators in 2009. Not only did she spur heaps of discussion, but her threads were all different and usually provoked us to think more deeply about everyday things (did you ever think much about what you keep under your bed until the CHW thread? I bet you didn't!)

[b]What is it?[/b]
[url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=60362"]Steps to become a superhero[/url]

[b]Why is it cool?[/b]
This was a very clever thread with some genuinely funny/witty responses. If you ever need a single example of why OB is awesome, this thread should suffice.

[b]What is it?[/b]
[url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=60332"]Actor Mistook Paparazzi for Zombie[/url]

[b]Why is it cool?[/b]
This was one of the many crazy stories that popped up last year. The fun of these threads is not only the hilarious news item, but the equally hilarious (and very OB) commentary.

[b]Who is it?[/b]
Rachmaninoff

[b]Why is he cool?[/b]
Rach has brought so many throught-provoking threads to OB in 2009 that it's a little tough to even remember them all!

[b]What is it?[/b]
[url="http://www.otakuboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85"]The Art by Request Forum[/url]

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
I just think this forum is a really special little corner in our community. I love the fact that members create avatars/banners for others simply to help them and to do a good thing for its own sake. I'm sure it helps newer members to feel welcome if they have an older member actually giving up some time to make something for them. The artists who contribute to this forum deserve much praise.

[b]What is it?[/b]
[url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=60511"]Michael Jackson, Forever 50[/url]

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
It's kind of hard to call this one nifty, but I wanted to nominate it because it was (for me at least) one of the biggest events of 2009. I personally felt like it was the end of an era when Michael Jackson died. When I think about his music, I think about my childhood - he was just such a phenomenon. When he passed away, it almost felt like a piece of my own history passed away too.

[b]Who is he?[/b]
Shinmaru

[b]Why is he nifty?[/b]
Shin is the gift that just keeps on giving. His World posts are always fun to read and, for me, they're also very educational (especially when he discusses films that I may not have seen). This alone makes him very worthy of a nomination.

[b]What is it?[/b]
The Watercooler

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
I think The Watercooler was one of the biggest success stories on theOtaku over the last year. I'm not sure how I'd describe them, except to say that they're pretty random, but they do provide a perspective that you just won't find anywhere else on the network.

[b]What is it?[/b]
theOtaku.com Chat

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
I'm not sure how many people remember our old chat system (the IRC one), but if you do, you'll appreciate how far chat has come since then. The current chat system is one of the best features of theOtaku and it really helps to draw the community together in a unique way.

[b]Who is he?[/b]
Magus

[b]Why is he nifty?[/b]
He's one of those members who solidly contributes all the time. He's always friendly and always adds something worthwhile to any thread.

[b]Who is she?[/b]
chibi-master

[b]Why is she nifty?[/b]
chibi-master always makes people smile. That's really all I need to say, I think.

[b]Who is she?[/b]
Sara

[b]Why is she nifty?[/b]
You know how we have those thread directories in Arcade and such? I almost think we need a Sara Thread Directory. Not only does she never make a bad thread, she never even makes an [i]average[/i] thread. Sara is always full of clever ideas and her threads are among my favourite of all time.

[b]Who is she?[/b]
Raiha

[b]Why is she nifty?[/b]
Raiha is my favourite Republican. She is also something like a pet echidna; generally pretty benign, but painful if you rub her the wrong way.

[b]Member of the Year:[/b] chibi-master

It's so hard to choose just one person for this, but I really have to go with chibi. She's such a great example of a new member coming in and enriching our little community. I know I'm very happy she chose to stick around. :catgirl:

[b]Male Member of the Year:[/b] Shinmaru

Again, a tough one...and I had a few people in mind for this. I really think I have to nominate Shin because of his consistently awesome updates at theO. It helps that he's a genuinely nice guy as well.

[b]Female Member of the Year:[/b] Sara

I'm nominating Sara especially because of her fantastic threads in The Lounge over 2009. She just kept coming up with unique thread ideas, which is quite a feat - it's hard to make threads that haven't been done before in some way.

[b]Staff Member of the Year:[/b] Petie

This one wasn't tough. All our staff work very hard, but I don't think most people actually know how much Petie does behind the scenes. He's been working on a major new site and he has provided a seemingly endless supply of updates and support over the last year.

We definitely owe much to Petie and I really want to recognise him for being a quiet achiever. :catgirl:

[b]Storyteller of the Year:[/b] Ace

Ace O'Turney has almost become as legendary as OtakuBot. For me, that's saying a lot.

[b]RPG of the Year:[/b] The Almagest Expedition

How could I note vote for this? Apart from the fact that I've enjoyed posting in it, I've also really enjoyed [i]reading[/i] everyone else's work. It's just a beautifully-crafted RPG with vivid characters and an incredibly detailed world. The way it dovetails with The Almagest Legacy (its predecessor) also makes it worthy of note.

[b]Thread of the Year:[/b] The Padded Room Party

It's hard not to vote for this one. It's almost swallowed OB whole.[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium][b]What is it?[/b]
[url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=48380"]Things that are fun to do but embarassing when people find out you do it[/url]

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
I think the title of 2010DigitalBoy's thread says it all.[/font][/QUOTE]

[font=lucida fax][b]Who is it?[/b]
James

[b]Why is he Nifty?[/b]
Because he is so fond of thread necromancy that he even nominates a 2005 thread for the Nifty Fifty. And because he's the only Australian with a conscience.

We need more Jameses in the digital world.[/font]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]1) Member of the Year: Allamorph.

Because he was hired and fired and generally went about his business with great strength of character, fortitude, and panache.

3) Female Member of the Year: Indi

Because: She survived pre-wedding, wedding, and post-wedding without falling off of the Otakuboards radar entirely.

4) Staff Member of the Year: Sunfall

Because: I don't know if you've ever been trapped in a small room with many screaming people resisting being banned, but she has, and clearly survived without having to choke a...newbie.

7) Storyteller of the Year: Ace

Because: YOU HAVE SLAIN WILFORD BRIMLEY! [/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]As we're still waiting for Shy to get in his nominations, this thread will remain open until [B]Sunday evening 6pm (GMT)[/B] after which the voting committee will begin to tabulate the votes.

So please take these last few days to get any votes in, by which I mean anyone who's been this late has to vote for me in at least one category. :P
[/SIZE]

[color=darkblue][size=1][b]What is it?[/b]

Not Gavin.

[b]Why Is It Nifty?[/b]

It's not silly Irishman who tries and fails to coerce people into posting in events through half-cocked means. =p

[b]What Is It?[/b]

The Padded Room Party

[b]Why Is It Nifty?[/b]

It's the first piece of solid evidence that OB supports unmedicated insanity since teh silleh circus.

[b]Member of the Year:[/b] SunfallE
[b]Male Member of the Year:[/b] SomeGuy
[b]Female Member of the Year:[/b] Indi-Cat
[b]Staff Member of the Year:[/b] SunfallE
[b]Otaku of the Year:[/b] AnimeArchAngel. Her Fringe freakouts are second to none.
[b]Funniest Member:[/b] Shinmaru
[b]Storyteller of the Year:[/b] Allamorph
[b]RPG of the Year:[/b] Shinigami Dance. It's like Bleach, only tolerable.[/color][/size]

[size=1][b]What is it?[/b]
Zeitgeist

[b]What is it nifty?[/b]
We're cool, deal with it! Whether it's the hottest trends or the most unknown cult classic OB has a resident expert (or two) eager to discuss it. Our nerdiness is not just limited to anime, and we revel in that. We are a motley crew of artists, musicians, politicos, historians and... well.... awesome people.

[b]What is it?[/b]
The Otaku Prose Contest

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
Although OB is home to some amazing writers, it's rare that the site spotlights that outside of RPGs and Suggestions arguments. It was great to go toe-to-toe against some of my online peers, and though I lost I'm glad I participated in it.

[b]What is it?[/b]
Mr. Maul.

[b]Why is he nifty?[/b]
Consistency is key here, and Mr. Maul continues to prove with every post how consistently awesome he is. He's often too smart for the room, but chooses to entertain us with his presence anyway.

[b]What is it?[/b]
OB Meet-Ups

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]
This is a personal one for me, since I've been on the site [i]forever[/i] (and make a point of reminding people that in every post I make.) But through this site I've been able to meet up some of the funniest, kindest and most sincere people on the Interweb. Whenever possible I try to meet up with some of them in real-life, and the results have always been great. There's a level of trust and familiarity with my friends on OtakuBoards that does not extend to other sites: OB is my online home, and by that same sentiment its members are my family.

[B]1) Member of the Year:[/B] SunfallE
[B]2) Male Member of the Year:[/B] Boo
[B]3) Female Member of the Year:[/B] chibi-master
[B]4) Staff Member of the Year:[/B] Sangome
[B]5) Otaku of the Year:[/B] Shinmaroo
[B]6) Funniest Member:[/B] John
[B]7) Storyteller of the Year: [/B]James
[B]8) RPG of the Year: [/B] I Forgot What You People Look Like (Image Heavy)
[B]9) Thread of the Year:[/B] The Padded Room Party.

-Shy[/size]

[SIZE=1]Alright now that Shy has added his list the Nomination period is officially over and we'll be moving on to tabulate and select the winners.

Winners thread should be up in a week or two, what with all the graphics we have to design.[/SIZE]