OtakuBoards

Ethical question

pax et agape

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] bla bla [/font][/QUOTE][font=lucida fax]First of all: Chill. Your caps, "ffs"s and "you COULD just suck it up!"s aren't changing anyone's point.

To say "laws are laws so suck it up" is completely ridiculous. Also, TV always sucked. I don't know how TV was tons better in the past. It's there to keep the masses entertained and it's doing just that.
[/font]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Boo][font=lucida fax']But you're perfectly right, naturally. It's silly though. Up until a bit more than a year ago, downloading was perfectly legal here in the Netherlands. It still would be, if the government had enough say in it, but the high court put a ban on it because it wasn't in line with the general European opinion on the matter.[/font][/quote]I don't really pay attention to it here since I don't download all that much, but I can't recall a time where it was ever legal here. If it wasn't illegal for you until recently, it would certainly explain why you think little over doing it. Kind of hard to feel bad over something that didn't used to be illegal for you.

Anyway, as for the topic, naturally I agree that it's wrong, from the standpoint of it doesn't belong to me so I don't have a right to just take it. But at the same time I can and do get stuff via downloading, even if not very often.

I'll watch something and if I like it, I go out and buy it. Provided it's actually available here. Music is another story, I tend to collect hard copies of the music I like unless I simply can't get one. [/FONT]

[quote name='Boo'][font=lucida fax]That's right. Stealing is bad. Especially if the product is ridiculous and stupid.[/font][/QUOTE]

[font=Arial]Why do you download music/movies you believe to be bad? I'm smelling a troll... shame on you, Boo ;)

For the record, I'm an unrepentant pirate. 50 GB of music and counting.[/font]

So in a particial solution to this problem I recently discover Crunchyroll.com. I have long thought that if more media companies adopted things like crunchyroll and hulu it would drastically cut down on the problem of piracy.

Another place that takes a very interesting and progressive approach with music is [URL="https://www.noisetrade.com/index.aspx"]noisetrade.com[/URL].

[quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial]
For the record, I'm an unrepentant pirate. 50 GB of music and counting.[/font][/QUOTE]

I'm right there with you. I'll also add that I have purchased far more concert tickets and albums since I started downloading then I ever did before hand. I would not have made nearly as many purchases if I hadn't been illegally downloading music. Furthermore, the RIAA has not found a true statistical correlation between music piracy and loss of revenue. Most of their evidence actually points to turns in the economy and the amount of new albums released by major record labels each year as having the greatest effect on their bottom line.

That being said, I don't excuse my actions. When I am pirating I am breaking the law and committing theft.

[quote name='Boo'][font=lucida fax]First of all: Chill. Your caps, "ffs"s and "you COULD just suck it up!"s aren't changing anyone's point.

To say "laws are laws so suck it up" is completely ridiculous. Also, TV always sucked. I don't know how TV was tons better in the past. It's there to keep the masses entertained and it's doing just that.
[/font][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] u hurt my feelings, TV is awesome

[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/xyivn.jpg[/img]

[spoiler]BTW I download everything like a mofo. I just also am not delusional. Also I was talking more about the TV industry, as in like ratings and ad money and stuff. duhhh[/spoiler][/font]

Well, the only ethical question is are you following your own self imposed morals? if you dont think its wrong, then go right ahead. But when you go against your own consionse then you can easily keep on going.

of course you could just call it peer presure, because as for me, "Take what you can, give nothin back."