OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

[size=1][color=darkred] I totally agree with you Dagger(for like the hundreth time, maybe I should change my name to shadowofdagger :animeswea) But the visuals for the episode where by far the best I've seen for the series, and most anime. Both Ed's and Armstrongs fight scene just had a natural flow. In Ed's fight, I was like I wanna be Ed............But ii's weird thinking about the scene trips me out, it was almost too good to be true. It was very aestetically pleasing.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred][spoiler]I am going to miss Greed as well. Though is it just me or did he not seem that greedy, like look at Lust and Gluttony, they like fit their names to the T. Then there is Envy and I have no idea where to start, too many Homunculi :animestun [/spoiler][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred]Oh ya and just for the record, Dante creeped me out too, but then again I find most evil old people and children creepy.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have a question about the Homuculi...

Considering their named after the [spoiler]Seven Sins...what does Sloth[/spoiler] do? I get the others (not really Wrath or Greed, but... :animeswea ) I recall it doing something and being totally confused...

Help. :animedepr [/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=dark kitsune]I'm wondering if any of you watch it. I just finished watching episode 7 and damned if it didn't make me cry....

So anybody into this particular anime as much as me? From what I've seen so far this anime is incredible. The character development, plot and artwork are great.

If you haven't seen it yet...then get busy![/QUOTE]
I agree with you all the way....I am so into this anime that i have gone insane :animestun But damn it! it is so sad but still among the best :cool:

Wow. Who knew that [spoiler]Lust could be so sympathetic?[/spoiler] For that reason alone, this episode was very necessary and well-timed. If anything, the way the writers [spoiler]suddenly plunged in to show her side of things[/spoiler] was a little abrupt, compared to the image that's been built up for her over so many previous episodes, but it was so well executed that I can't honestly complain.

Fullmetal Alchemist gets a lot of praise for its dub acting, but I think the casting also deserves mention. The variety and number of voice actors involved is actually incredible. FUNimation has gotten into the practice of borrowing ADV regulars, but for FMA they brought in actors from multiple other regions--ones who rarely, if ever, appear in Funi or ADV productions. The diversity shown in this episode alone was staggering (with Johnny Yong Bosch voicing [spoiler]the man in love with Lust[/spoiler] and Carrie Savage as his fiancee, in addition to all the regular players).

It's as if FMA's creators keep thinking of new ways to be brutal, haha. The [spoiler]disease[/spoiler] was suitably horrific. And three cheers for Bones, for how the show's artwork and animation continue improving.

~Dagger~

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][quote name='Dagger']Fullmetal Alchemist gets a lot of praise for its dub acting, but I think the casting also deserves mention. The variety and number of voice actors involved is actually incredible.[/quote] I agree. Has anyone bothered to actually look at the credits after the show is over? I was somewhat surprised to see one of the more recent episodes that had such a large cast. Funi does a good job with dubbing. [That's just my opinion though.]

I know that one of my friends, who is light years beyond me in anime would kill me for saying that. We [argue] debate over which seems better: Japanese or English.

She's obsessed with Japanese and to be honest, sometimes the monotony in their voices just gets to me. I need variety! And so far, Funi has not let me down. I think that they do quite well, and I'm glad that there are companies out there that are trying to give American viewers a bang for their buck.

For instance, Laura Bailey, the voice of Lust in FMA, has a pretty good voice range. Listen to her as Tohru Honda in Furuba, then go back and listen to her as Lust. I give her a lot of credit for being able to be so...flexible with her voice.

I mean, could you imagine voice actors with similar voices trying to do Ed and Armstong? How horrible would that sound? An adolescent with a 36 year old's voice. Blegh...[/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Okay, the rant's over. :animesigh [/SIZE]

[quote name='Sinistra][FONT=Palatino Linotype']For instance, Laura Bailey, the voice of Lust in FMA, has a pretty good voice range. Listen to her as Tohru Honda in Furuba, then go back and listen to her as Lust. I give her a lot of credit for being able to be so...flexible with her voice.[/font][/quote]
Slightly off-topic, but she also does an amazing job of playing a hyperactive, singing, rapping eleven-year-old in Kodocha. :animesmil

Talk about good timing--the second FMA tin came in a little early for me. It looks a lot better in person, I think. The logo is silver, and since the tin is narrower (sized for four DVDs rather than five), it's smaller and raised a little to be centered. But from an aesthetic standpoint, it looks fine, even when lined up next to the first tin. I hope the third tin showcases the Homunculi, since this one just has the State alchemists plus some other main characters.

The second OST's cover is awesome. I'm looking forward to listening to it.

~Dagger~

I've recently gotten into FMA.
Seriously good stuff, It's got an excellent plot line, beautiful animation, strong characters, comedy and intellect.

I've bought the first manga and i'm on the 3rd episode while watching CN's episodes on saturday night IE I'm on Episode 34.

I love the theme song! L'Arc en Ciel all the way!!

[QUOTE=Tatsubei Yagyu][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have a question about the Homuculi...

Considering their named after the [spoiler]Seven Sins...what does Sloth[/spoiler] do? I get the others (not really Wrath or Greed, but... :animeswea ) I recall it doing something and being totally confused...

Help. :animedepr [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE][SIZE=1]Sloth is when someone is unwilling to do things by moving slow or stopping altogether and don't do tasks that natually occur for some people.

[B]From the Pocket Catholic Catechism: [/B]
[I]Sloth is the desire for ease, even at the expense of doing the known will of God. Whatever we do in life requires effort. Everything we do is to be a means of salvation. The slothful person is unwilling to do what God wants because of the effort it takes to do it. Sloth becomes a sin when it slows down and even brings to a halt the energy we must expend in using the means to salvation. [/I]

Bleh, that's sloth's whole point. In a way she does kind of show it, but it's not really shown that well. You get it though.[/SIZE]

I believe that at this point in the show, Ed is 15 and Al is 14. Don't quote me on that, though--the only thing I know for sure is that they're one year apart.

I wonder what Winry is going to do, now that she knows [spoiler]Roy killed her parents?[/spoiler] With just tonight's episode to go by, it was hard to gauge her reaction--i.e. whether she thought [spoiler]he was beyond forgiving but didn't say anything about it because the knowledge of Hughes' death weighed on her, or she just felt bad for everyone involved, Roy included.[/spoiler]

Anyway, I like how the show repeatedly weaves in the same secondary characters, such as those two Ishbalan boys.

Something else I took away from this episode was a powerful admiration for Hawkeye. It's very difficult to find anime females who take that kind of supportive role toward a male figure--it's hard to describe, but I guess I'd say that she looks after him in the same way that a male friend/colleague of his (such as Hughes) would. Not quite the same, obviously; she has her own unique way of going about it, and that's probably informed by her being female, as well.

So she doesn't come off as being the typical "relegated to a secondary part for diversity's sake" type of woman. Nor does she come off as being a character who was rigidly shoehorned into a male role. Empowerment can be found in supporting roles, too; women don't have to be leads or more kick-*** than all the men in order to be worthwhile characters who aren't tied back by the bonds of traditional gender roles. I think she represents that ideal extremely well.

I also love her dub voice, haha.

I had always assumed [spoiler]Lust was the de facto leader of the Homunculi, but it appears as though all of them (Lust included, to my vast surprise!) take their orders from Sloth. Who, by the way, gains a greater resemblance to Ed & Al's mother each time I look at her...[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

Ed and Al are 15 and 14 right now because it was three years after Ed got his lisence and in episode 33 Al says he is 14, so that makes Ed 15. I have the episodes on tape, and they're the only things that'll get me up in the morning... And I think I know who made what Homunculi (for the most part)

[spoiler]Sloth= Ed and Al
Envy= Hohehim(sp?)
Greed= Dante
Lust= Scar's brother (what's his name?)
Wrath= Izumi
Pride and Gluttony I have no idea in heck where they came from[/spoiler]

I swear if Winry does anything to my Mustang I will kill her! Not like she's going to do anything anyway. Someone will end up calming her down and telling her how Roy was just following orders, ot that's my guest at least. And the great thing is we're going to get away from all the drama already! Episode 37 is one of the most awesome filler episodes from what I heard. It's going to be really funny!

Here's some answers:

Who created Pride and Gluttony: [spoiler]Dante, now in Lyra's body[/spoiler]

Who's controling the homunculi: [spoiler]Dante, now in Lyra's body[/spoiler]

Who Pride is: [spoiler]Fuhrer Bradley, the only aging homunculus[/spoiler]

Scar's brother: [spoiler]In episode 40 something in the Japanese version, I believe the name was Mahala or something like that.[/spoiler]

Hope these help.

~ Tyler

So I haven't been keeping up with the English dub's run on Adult Swim, but I tuned in last Saturday, and thank goodness! I wasn't aware they were already on episode 36 already @_@ I'm glad I didn't miss episode 37. If you thought 13 was funny, this one is x10 better, and it features my favorite character Havoc! ^o^

Actually, when the series first started airing in the U.S., the main thing I was worried about was how well Havoc's voice actor would pull it off. Here's hoping!

episode 36 kinda reminded me why I wasn't watching the series the second time around. I really don't care for the Ishbal storyline as much as the military drama. Though I'll probably tune in from here on out, because I just want to see the craziness of the last 10 or so episodes again. [spoiler]Plus, there's Selim, who's just adorable. (dunno if a name drop really counts as a spoiler, but just in case![/spoiler] <3

[SIZE=1]I though Al and Ed were 16 and 15?[/SIZE]
[QUOTE][SPOILER]I had always assumed Lust was the de facto leader of the Homunculi, but it appears as though all of them (Lust included, to my vast surprise!) take their orders from Sloth. Who, by the way, gains a greater resemblance to Ed & Al's mother each time I look at her...[/SPOILER][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]I think she's supposed to be.

[SPOILER]I'm pretty sure that all the homunculi were supposed to look like the person who was trying to be brought back to life. That's why Sloth resembles Ed and Al's mother so much and Lust like Scar's brother's girlfriend. Wrath looked the age of Izumi's child and had some of her features from what I can remember. The res of the homunculi, I couldn't tell you.[/SPOILER] That would make sense I guess, wouldn't it?

The episode not too long ago, I can't remember the name, I think Lust was given an entire new description. Before, she was depicted as heartless and completely brutal. After that, she was given a softer side that never really came out before. [SPOILER]No one would think that she could love or have someone fall in love with her. [/SPOILER]Even though she still isn't the most trustworthy character, I think she deserves some credit from that one.[/SIZE]

Yeah, it's just kind of ironic that Ed and Al haven't recognized her yet, even though they've seen her in person more than once...

[quote name='Gentle][SIZE=1][SPOILER]No one would think that she could love or have someone fall in love with her. [/SPOILER']Even though she still isn't the most trustworthy character, I think she deserves some credit from that one.[/SIZE][/quote]
I'm not sure I would say that Lust [spoiler]loved what's-his-face; I think she might have felt some pity or sympathy for him, but it's hard to tell. She was probably also intrigued/concerned by the pseudo-memories he provoked in her.[/spoiler] Even so, I agree--that episode gave her a lot of unexpected depth.

EDIT: Lindus, I [i]love[/i] your banner & avatar. KKM for the win. :animesmil

~Dagger~

I love fullmetal alchemist its awsome but i was woundering if someone would help me.i love anime alot and i mean alot and i dont know what to do or how to work it the site i mean and i need help so could someone help me please? :animestun :animestun :animedepr

[color=darkslateblue] *bang head on desk* I've been trying to keep up with AS's FMA, but I keep on forgetting. And I missed episode 34! V_V I wanted to see how they showed that one. Anywho. I will force myself to watch the last 7 or so, seeing that they are some of my favorites. And episode 37. :D

Now that I look back on it, episode 36 reminds me why I like Winry so much as a female character. It must be stressful for her, seeing as she's usually in Rizenbul waiting for Ed and Al to come home. [/color]

I know I like Winry too but for my favorite female character id have to go with Hawkeye. Shes strong, independent,and great with a gun. I think she shuold get more props then whats shes getting. Plus she always has too take care of Roy Mustang and we all know how tough of a job that is lol of corse i wouldnt know. :D

Guest ChaoticFury
[FONT=Lucida Console][COLOR=Red]Fullmetal Alchemist is one bad *** show. once you get into the newer episodes you'll be dieing to see more. Fullmetal Alchemist has everything that you need to make a good anime show.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][quote name='chobitslover90']the series seemed kool to me but then i played the game then i was turned off to it is the anime really any good[/quote] Note to all who read this since the above mentioned is banned from the OB.

[B]Never ever[/B] judge an anime by the videogames that come from it. They [U]always[/U] turn out bad, and with every try, it becomes more and more true.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Sinistra][SIZE=1] Note to all who read this since the above mentioned is banned from the OB.

[B]Never ever[/B] judge an anime by the videogames that come from it. They [U]always[/U] turn out bad, and with every try, it becomes more and more true.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
I agree, though in the case of FmA, Dream Carnival looks like fun. XD but then again, I probably shouldn't group fight games with the rpgs. I actually haven't played the FmA rpgs yet, nor do I plan to, based on the less than stellar things I've heard about them.

Btw, on the topic of favorite female, my vote goes to Izumi. From her first appearance, I adored her character. She's so strong and protective of others in her own way-- though Hawkeye probably comes in at a close second. :animesmil

[quote name='Dagger'] Lindus, I love your banner & avatar. KKM for the win.[/quote]
ha, you know it!