OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

The OVAs have landed! And they are [i]excellent[/i].

One is essentially a short story with a surprise twist at the end. It's very, very sweet and virtually free of dialogue. It's also strangely heart-wrenching; I almost started crying during the final scene.

The second is the much-discussed chibi OVA, which is--as expected--hilarious. I particularly like Envy's grand entrance.

The third is an all-out brawl-fest between the State Alchemists (plus Al, other members of the military, etc.) and all seven Homunculi. It's both amusing and absurdly well-animated: pure, exhilarating action fanservice.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]The OVAs have landed! And they are [i]excellent[/i].

One is essentially a short story with a surprise twist at the end. It's very, very sweet and virtually free of dialogue. It's also strangely heart-wrenching; I almost started crying during the final scene.

The second is the much-discussed chibi OVA, which is--as expected--hilarious. I particularly like Envy's grand entrance.

The third is an all-out brawl-fest between the State Alchemists (plus Al, other members of the military, etc.) and all seven Homunculi. It's both amusing and absurdly well-animated: pure, exhilarating action fanservice.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

:animestun

[size=1]Where did you manage to find the OVAs?

From what you say now, I am waiting and wanting to watch it somehow! :animesmil

Oh Full Metal Alchemist, I cannot wait for you English arrival of the movie![/size]

[color=darkslateblue]FMA OVAs: [spoiler]I actually sort of snickered when I saw Ed in the first OVA. It seems as if he looks exactly like Hoenheim. >:] At the same time it was sort of nostalgic, but it didn't do much for me. The constant laughing between the kids was sort of annoying... little kids don't do that. =_=

Chibi OVA: ... what... happened... .... *cries* (one good thing: chibi!Al=ADORABLE!)

Alchemists vs. Homunculi: I love Ed's drawings of the Homunculi.

All in all... I wasn't amazed or anything by them. They were sort of fun, at most.[/spoiler][/color]

Guest HacknKill
I love Fullmetal Alchemist, I've only seen the first season though, and from what I saw I instantly fell inlove

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I've seen them! I've seen the OVAs!!!

There was something really eerie about the first one. [spoiler]a whole bunch of the main cast were there, and were young, totally confusing me...AND HOW THE HELL OLD IS EDWARD THERE!?!?[/spoiler] Also, did anyone esle notice that when Roy was playing cards with that one dude (forgot his name...), it was totally a referance to the part when he was beating everyone in that one board game and everyone was crowded around? I did. :D

The second one, I was cracking up nearly the whole time, though I have no clue why everyone was together, happily. I loved when Ed and Al were talking all serious, and their faces [spoiler]got unchibified...but they still had the chibi bodies...[/spoiler]<---Don't want to ruin this for anyone...(I guess that's not to big...)
And Winry was realy funny to.

It really got to me when Ed [spoiler]started talking towards the camera, then run with Al in to the Sunset...[/spoiler]<---Not really sure if this is spoiler...but hey...it happened at the end of the last one. :p

I'm kind of heartbroken now that I've seen the OVAs...considering it's the last animated goodness that I may ever get from FMA... :(

I guess I strictly have the manga now til futher notice. :animecry: [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Tatsubei Yagyu][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS][spoiler]AND HOW THE HELL OLD IS EDWARD THERE!?!?[/spoiler] [/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
I didn't bother reading it closely, but the text at the end says something like [spoiler]in 2005, Edward Elric will turn 100.[/spoiler] This fits with the years given in the movie; if [spoiler]he was 18 in 1923, then he would be 100 in 2005, making him the little kids' grandfather.[/spoiler] Kind of cool, and kind of eerie, as you said--BONES totally had this planned. :p

~Dagger~

Yay, I just finished watching this series like five minutes ago, I'm surprised I liked it as I thought it was going to be like DBZ or Naruto yet it turned out to have a very interesting plot with many excellent twists, battles are pretty decent too. Also can someone tell me what the code for spoiler tags are so I can ask some questions I want to know about the series which I don't fully understand. Seeing as everyone's discussing the OVA's, maybe I'll see if I can find them anywhere and watch'em as well, even though I've still got to watch my newly finished Samurai 7.

Guest ~Unichu~
Fullmetal Alchemist is a very developed manga.......and anime :animesigh
its so cool and Ed elric is hot :animeshy: ...,BUT ROY MUSTANG IS HOTTER :animeblus
to the people who have never seen it........you should try to......you don't know what your missing :animesigh

[quote name='Nemphtis']Also can someone tell me what the code for spoiler tags are so I can ask some questions I want to know about the series which I don't fully understand.[/quote]
Spoiler tags are made like so: [spoiler*]text[/spoiler*]. You have to leave out the asterisks for them to work properly. Do so, and it'll look like [spoiler]this.[/spoiler]

[quote]Seeing as everyone's discussing the OVA's, maybe I'll see if I can find them anywhere and watch'em as well, even though I've still got to watch my newly finished Samurai 7.[/QUOTE]
Just make sure you watch the OVAs [i]after[/i] watching the sequel movie (Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shambala). They spoil several aspects of the film's story.

~Dagger~

The bad news is, it's a bit too late for that because I downloaded something!

The good news is, it happened to be FMA: Conqueror of Shambala!

So yeah, I just finished watching the sequel movie and to be honest it was pretty good but the lack of plot twists and the slight originality that the series offered wasn't displayed much in this movie, but still it gave the happy ending that I expected to see at the end of the series [spoiler]which was to see Alphonse and Edward back together in the SAME world living normally instead of being seperated and totally ruining it, glad they 'fixed' that in this sequel movie, haha[/spoiler].

So now that I've watched that, I need to find some place which has the OVA's available for download because I deffinately can't be bothered waiting for it to be released on DVD in the UK when the actual series hasn't even been fully released yet let alone the OVA's and the Movie. Which order should I view the OVA's in anyhow, assuming I can find someplace that has them.

It doesn't really matter which order you watch them in, considering that they're very short and aren't at all related to each other. I guess it would probably be best to see the "kids" OVA first. The other two are made up of chibi crack humor and action, respectively, so just pick your poison.

~Dagger~

Oh yeah, I got a question. Seeing as I usually download my anime, and THEN if I believe it was enjoyable I purchase it on DVD I happened to see the complete series in Japanese with English subs, what I want to know is when Volume1 arrives through the post in a few days am I going to see some horrible voice acting or is the English Dubbing pretty good?

*shrugs* There have been some complaints, as there always are, but the general consensus seems to be quite positive. I really like the dub, personally... and it isn't widely reviled or anything, if that's what you're asking. Give it a fair shake.

~Dagger~

Haha, I'm interested in seeing how well the English voice actor for Ed will fair when it comes to Ed's infamous 'midget tantrums'. The Japanese actors are usually good at raising/lowering their voices suddenly like that for some reason, yet ironically the American actors can't do it as well generally. :animestun

by no means is the dub bad. I don't prefer it, but I think that it has it's merits, especially in the last stretch of the show. The VA's are generally good and at the very least, it shouldn't be painful to listen to.

I did have a hard time initially adjusting to the new voices. I don't think Vic's version of Ed pulled off the spaz attacks over his height that occured more towards the beginning of the series. But I do think he did well with the character overall, like in his relationship to Roy and the rest of the military.

I still have mixed feelings about the dub, although my view on it is generally positive. I'd at least watch more than the first episode or two before getting a proper impression. The first episode alone left a very bad impression on me based almost purely on shock value. >_>

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS][quote name='Lindus']I still have mixed feelings about the dub, although my view on it is generally positive. I'd at least watch more than the first episode or two before getting a proper impression. The first episode alone left a very bad impression on me based almost purely on shock value. >_>[/quote]

Agreed. I watched all the esipodes in English other than the last two (I got impatient....:animeswea ) I thought, "Wow, I should watch all of FMA in ***, too!"

Then when I watched it in English again, because there was still two episode left, and it felt kind of different... I don't know. Maybe because I was watching the original, this the dubbed version didn't have the same feel.

Also, I noticed today that on the episode where Greed [spoiler]kidnaps Al[/spoiler] the japanese version had a whistle before Greed walked up to Ed, but the dub didn't have it. He just looked to the side and knew that the dudes had accomplised their mission. What's up with that?[/FONT][/COLOR]

Guest DrkMagiciansGrl
I'm guilty as anything when it comes to this anime. I've seen every episode, and the movie, and I know probably more than I shouls when it comes to this anime. I love the move....and, yeah, I"m obsessive when it comes to anime characters....and this anime is on exception. I"m in love with one of the characters......if only Al were real...lol.......hopefully other people know what I mean......but, anyways......I'd be happy to help anyone with questions that they might have about the series or the movie!.....

[CENTER]------------------------------------------[/CENTER]

Yay! The FMA movie's suppossed to be comming out soon. I know all Fullmetal Alchemist fans are wanting to see it badly! I can't wait! The good thing is, is that it's suppossed to be out this year.....october 3rd is the exact release date that they put on the english version. Another good thing is that unlike a lot of other anime movies, the FMA movie is going to be dubbed by Funamation...the same company that did the english t.v series dub...so the voices won't be messed up. Maybe that's just a pet pev of mine....but I don't like when the character voices are different in the movie than they are in the t.v show.......So...Look forward to the release of the FMA movie!

[INDENT][SIZE=1][COLOR=Indigo]Welcome to OtakuBoards [B]DrkMagiciansGrl[/B]

I am moving your thread to the existing Full Metal Alchemist thread for the following reason: To avoid confusion we ask that you do not create another thread. Please go ahead and post in the current one no matter how old it is. Before you post any thread, please check the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=38208][COLOR=Indigo][B]Official Threads Directory[/B][/COLOR][/URL] to see if there is already a thread on that topic. It is also a good idea to perform a forum search on that subject to make sure another thread does not already exist.

Please take a moment to review this sticky on [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=37269] [COLOR=Indigo][B]How to Post in Anime Lounge[/B][/COLOR][/URL] . Also please take a moment to review the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?][COLOR=Indigo][B]Rules[/B][/COLOR][/URL] and [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/faq.php?][COLOR=Indigo][B]FAQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL] for further information on posting and creating threads.

If you have any questions feel free to pm myself or another member of the staff.

~indifference[/COLOR][/SIZE][/INDENT]

Well I've also seen all the episodes and the movie, but I do have a question that's bothering me more than I thought it would.

They say human transmutation is the greatest taboo and therefore a high risk. Well, first of all, [spoiler]I remember how easily Ed changed the composition of Greed's body in order to make his shield penetrable and kill him as a result. That's okay since he's a homunculus, so it's easy to change the structure of his molecules and stuff. However! Kimbley comes into the picture. If you notice, he changes the structure of elements into another and creates a bomb, and he can do so with humans too! Isn't that human transmutation? An example is when, at the prison, Kimbley transmutes a prisoner into a bomb. Also, when he transmutes Scar's arm into I don't know what in order to absorb oxygen slowly and explode. I mean, he's easily transmuting humans as if they were nothing but objects, but didn't Ed say that it was easy for him to change Greed's components because he was not human, which means that humans can NOT be transmuted in any way?[/spoiler]

All this might sound odd and maybe these two situations have nothing to do with each other, but you tell me, because it's confusing me somehow, like what's happening there? ^-^u

By "human transmutation," I believe they're referring specifically to attempts to create an entire human body or otherwise duplicate human life. What Kimbley does is almost the exact opposite, so I doubt that it counts.

[quote name='Samurai Mix']Yes what she said. Did people download them ?Or is there a DVD I can buy?[/quote]
You can buy the DVD [url=http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANSB-2005][u]here[/u][/url], but you need an R2 or region-free player, and it's not subtitled. Although subs aren't really necessary to enjoy them.

~Dagger~

Guest DrkMagiciansGrl
Okay, when they refer to human transmutation, they're talking about trying to bring a human back to life, thus, creating a homunculus. Ex: Ed and Al trying to bring their mom back to life, and thus, [spoiler]creating Sloth instead.[/spoiler] When Kimbley uses alchemy, he rearanges the molecules in things (people, animals, and all different objects) to make a bomb. So, no it's not techinaly a "human transmutation".

Guest Stafal-chan
[quote name='DrkMagiciansGrl]Okay, when they refer to human transmutation, they're talking about trying to bring a human back to life, thus, creating a homunculus. Ex: Ed and Al trying to bring their mom back to life, and thus, [spoiler]creating Sloth instead.[/spoiler'] When Kimbley uses alchemy, he rearanges the molecules in things (people, animals, and all different objects) to make a bomb. So, no it's not techinaly a "human transmutation".[/quote]

nope that's really just alcehmy because he doesn't alwyas have to use humans as bombs..he's just twisted and prefers too :animeswea

episode #3...it's basically like the 1st episode...i dun understand why they made the ones about Leor (yeah incase anyone doesn't kno this yet... i can't spell >_<) ...because from the 3rd episode is where u actually kno wat is going on. ^_^ actually i frist started watching FMA from the 3rd i saw a repeat of the 1st 2 later ^_^

[quote name='Stafal-chan']episode #3...it's basically like the 1st episode...i dun understand why they made the ones about Leor (yeah incase anyone doesn't kno this yet... i can't spell >_<) ...because from the 3rd episode is where u actually kno wat is going on. ^_^ actually i frist started watching FMA from the 3rd i saw a repeat of the 1st 2 later ^_^[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkRed]They had the part about Lior first 'cause after that, starting with episode three, it's in a flashback. Said flashback ends somewhere in the third DVD with when Ed-kun and Al-kun are trying to get to Lior and Ed-kun keeps scaring off cab drivers when he asks, "So, you heard about Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist?"
And then the cab driver says, "Yeah. A real prodegy. They say he's an alchemist for the people."
And then Ed-kun's all, "He must be a man of great stature, then." While Al-kun's all, ":animedepr"
And then the cab driver says, "No, actually, he's really short. Like a dwarf or something."
And then Ed-kun attacks.
After that is the part where they go to Xenotime, I think.[/COLOR]