OtakuBoards

The Padded Room Party Problem(?)

Shy

It was created for topics that weren't in-depth enough to have their own thread. What's so bad about that? And truly, I adore that there's a thread where members from all parts of OB to come together and be whimsical. Otherwise, we could never hold normal conversations with other members without spamming a thread or through linear PMs. There is no problem that I see here.:catgirl:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Personally, I think it's distilling activity. People still post, it's just that a lot of it has been concentrated into the single thread. I don't think that's necessarily bad, but the nature of the PRP does kind of discourage maintaining the same train of thought for any length of time.

Personally, I think if we come across a subject in the PRP that we think can be discussed more in-depth, we should make a thread for it. Then we could have (gasp) topical discussions.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Personally, I think if we come across a subject in the PRP that we think can be discussed more in-depth, we should make a thread for it. Then we could have (gasp) topical discussions.[/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Logic win.
[/SIZE]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Shy][size=1]There seems to be some... [i]concern[/i'] over the Padded Room Party. Is it hurting activity? Is it promoting activity? I honestly can't tell, and I made the thing.[/size][/quote]I would say it depends on how you look at it. Is it hurting activity? I would say no since I've noticed that some members, who rarely post, have done so more often now that they have a thread for random thoughts that don't fit in regular conversations.

So is it promoting activity? For those members who like putting their random thoughts out there I would have to say it does. Clearly by the amount of responses it's something people enjoy doing.

OB is always driven by what the member base wants, if they want more regular threads, they make them, padded room party or not, so I don't see it as a threat to activity around the boards.

If anyone is that concerned, there is nothing stopping them from making threads and getting involved in other aspects of the boards.

And if you're still not convinced ... just blame Gavin. Everything is his fault nowadays. :p[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Personally, I think if we come across a subject in the PRP that we think can be discussed more in-depth, we should make a thread for it. Then we could have (gasp) topical discussions.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]This.

I do love the PRP, 'cause random cracky discussions are always fun, and it's good to have a place to spew off about random crap that doesn't need a thread. But I do agree it's distilling activity a smidge, so...well, basically, what Ace said. Yeah.

Edit: Indi also has a good point...I don't really see what's preventing others from making other threads if they really want to. Gah now I'm all torn @_@[/SIZE][/FONT]

I do spend more time posting in PRP more than any other single thread, but i have still managed to participate in other OB topics and RPs.

plus it gets me to sign on more often too since the RPs i have been in tend to die out (i am not the cause i swear)
and if there wasn't something new i would probably sign in less.

[font=franklin gothic medium]Man, do we ever over-think our own site. Haha.

Basically I think that people are using it for what it was intended for. Members are enjoying it and that's what OB is all about. So I don't see a problem with it at all.

For me, I'm not very interested in random chit-chat, so I just create a thread or join a thread about a specific subject if that's what I want to talk about.

So in other words, I think there's room for everything. Let's just have fun. :catgirl:[/font]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]That one.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Oh, no wonder I didn't see it. I think it's almost too lame to qualify as an actual pun. :P Haha. Joking, joking. Kind of.

Anyway, yeah, I just figure if people want to make threads that are specific for something...they will. If anything, the PRP just provides a spot for that random discussion which we wouldn't otherwise have space for.

Meh.[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]Man, do we ever over-think our own site. Haha.[/font][/QUOTE][size=1]Welcome to OtakuBoards. Enjoy your stay. :whoops:

I don't really care either way, but there does seem to be some backlash to the way the thing has swallowed the Lounge. Shrug.

-Shy[/size]

[FONT=Calibri]As opposed to a few years ago when fifteen out of the first twenty threads on the front page were opened by [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rachmaninoff[/COLOR] and most everything else was left unsaid or locked/deleted. Now we got our own functional (and better, I might add) version of Twitter.

Methinks you're reading way too much into this, bucko. :p[/FONT]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium]Man, do we ever over-think our own site. Haha.[/font][/QUOTE]That's what I was just thinking.[QUOTE=Shy][size=1']I don't really care either way, but there does seem to be some backlash to the way the thing has swallowed the Lounge. Shrug.[/size][/quote]Backlash? Where? It's not like we don't have other threads getting posted. It's not like said threads aren't getting responses.

I agree with [COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR]. I too have noticed that members who rarely posted can and do post in the padded room since it's open to simple random thoughts. I've always been pleased with it since it got those members to be more active.

As for an actual complaint/concern... If you're thinking of Sara's signature, I thought that was meant to be a clever way to promote additional activity around the site. Instead of a real complaint against the thread. But only Sara would know the answer to that. [/FONT]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]
As for an actual complaint/concern... If you're thinking of Sara's signature, I thought that was meant to be a clever way to promote additional activity around the site. Instead of a real complaint against the thread.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

See, that's what I thought. I thought it was a joke, hence the joke I put in MY signature. I didn't cross my mind that that was a SERIOUS complaint.:animedepr

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]Worried? Hardly. I created the most popular thread in the site's history. All in a day's work.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think we need a modesty award in the Nifty Fifty next year. :catgirl:[/font]

[COLOR=#35425e]Talk is cheap, and it doesn't get any cheaper than in PRP. I am crossing my fingers in hope that PRP will share the same fate as the posts in it:

[B]If nobody gives a flying frock, maybe it will just go away.[/B] [/COLOR]