OtakuBoards

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver Trading, Discussion and SRS BIZNESS

The Spectacular Professor

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Pokémon HG/SS came out yesterday and there's clearly a pretty devoted fanbase here at TheO, so I declare it THREAD TIEM.

Anyway, you know the drill. Discuss the games, request stuff for trade if you have access to Wi-Fi, brag about your team, whatever.

As for me, I just beat Whitney and started messing around with the Pokéathlon. How far is everyone else and does anyone have a spare Chikorita?[/FONT]

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]Just got to Ecruteak earlier, and I'm absolutely loving it every step of the way. <3 Just...gah.

I was surprised Whitney wasn't more of a challenge, given how she loves to spam Rollout...though, to her credit, she never did use Rollout in the battle. Not once. Huh.

All the little things about this game, I friggin love to death. <3 Agafsfjdkfhsdjksfdh. Easily the best games to date. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Sangome'][FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]I was surprised Whitney wasn't more of a challenge, given how she loves to spam Rollout...though, to her credit, she never did use Rollout in the battle. Not once. Huh.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Yeah, I noticed that, it was kinda weird. I remember screaming in frustration over her constant spammage of that move when I was a kid.

Sidenote, I imported a level 1 Sneasel into the game just before fighting Falkner (no way I'm waiting until Mt. Silver to get one.) It's actually really powerful against the first two gyms. It dies in one shot, though. Poor things have horrid defense. Anyway, I basically blinded that Miltank with Quilava's Smokescreen and then used Sneasel's Screech a couple times and it fell fast. Miltank still uses Attract, though, so it took me a little longer than it should have to finish the blinding process.[/FONT]

[color=#229944]I didn't play through all of the original G/S games, but I picked this one up almost purely based on the Pokewalker. I'm a server at a restaurant and this requires me to walk a lot and I'm hoping that will help with raising my young pokepups.

I've only just beat the first gym leader (I wanted to make sure I had six Pokemon that were at least level ten) but so far the improvements in the game are mroe impressive than D/P. What impressed me the most so far are the integration of the touch screen (away from the mostly useless Poketch).
The touch interface is just about as comfortable and quick to use as the D-Pad and face buttons, but I also use L=A for when I'm lazy. Whether it's using the stylus to open the Pokedex, putting on your running shoes, or touching the VS. Recorder, the touch screen just feels natural.

The visual and audio improvements are across the board, though. The Pokemon walking around behind you is not only cute and endearing, the way it affects how you play the game actually makes sense! If you trade via the GTS, you can receive messages, via your Wii, while away from your DS game. Now you can know when your Pokemon has been picked up!

The game has just such an improvement over D/P so far. The DS actually feels like it's being made use of, and I hope this will be the first Pokemon game I'll finish since Y in Generation I.

Edit: My FC is 3352 6243 3961
Add me and I shall do the same. :)

-r2[/color]

I also am a restraunt waiter so the poke walker thing sounded pretty cool to me, but it was not the only reason i picked it up (been hooked on these games since red version)
RPG games like this are hard to come by.

anyhow... i just beat falkner, so i am a little behind you guys.

I have five gym badges because I haven't slept since I got the game.

If anything, I was ticked at the spammage of Milk Drink. Every time I got that little b**** Miltank down into the red zone it would magically heal itself. That may be the first time I've ever had trouble with a gym leader...:animedepr

My dear Jedidiah (started as a Cyndaquil) is awesome. The fact that I can run around with my Pokemon and then [I]turn around and talk to them[/I] makes me happy. The first time I was told that Jed had nudged me, I quivered from the cuteness. When I was then asked if I wanted to nudge it back, I melted. That's just too cool for me...

already your starting to train super pokemon? i always at least give the game a playthrough before i try and make a dream team... thogh in that dream team shinys are never a possibility... i have two... in about 4 years of playing pokemon... though i never did try the chaining up pokemon stratage...

even so... if you want a shiny badly enough... why not just cheat?

-OH WAIT... was this a trap to lure the poke geeks out into the open?
-OH WAIT... its a thread about pokemon! we all must be crazy about the games if we are posting about it!

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]You know, the walk-along feature is pretty awesome. I love to talk to my little Pokémon buddies and get items, and their reactions and interactions with me are just fun.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

This sounds like a cheasy commercial about the improvements, but it's just so true...

[quote name='Ace][FONT="Comic Sans MS"']But there's something not quite as cute about playful frolicking when it's being done by your Beedrill.[/FONT][/quote]

._. Ewww.

Because I mostly play the game at night, I am quite confident that my Eevee is going to evolve into an Umbreon. I am elated!

Planning to carry around Togepi again today. Argh...:animesigh

I got a Kangaskhan from my Pokewalker adventures (7500 steps at work, hell yeah) and I love herrrrr. No more trolling around the Safari for one! I'm only at Azalea but I'm training everyone in my party equally so it's taking me a little longer but it will be worth it. And my Togepi just hatched. \o/

[SIZE=3][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]So I think this is the first [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]Pokémon Game I'll have actually tried playing, if I get it.

However, if I found Platinum too confusing with the contests and everything, will I like this one? I've really wanted to get into one of the games of this series, and with the Pok[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]éwalker in this one, it seems like a good place to start.
[/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]It's a good gateway. I don't think the contests are in this one, so no worries there (although they're optional anyway.) The closest thing is the Pokéathlon, which is actually kind of fun. On top of that you never even have to visit the dome if you don't want to.

Anyway, the levels on the gyms aren't quite as high as they are in other games, so it's a little bit easier than the others. It's a good place for beginners to start. The Pokéwalker is also helpful since you can get rare Pokémon from it that are hard to find anywhere else and it helps up your pokémon's happiness even when you're not playing the game, which is really useful for certain game mechanics like evolutions based on happiness and the move Return (which gets more powerful the more your Pokémon likes you.)

So yeah, I'd say if this is basically your first Pokémon game, it's a good choice to start off on.[/FONT]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]HG/SS was made with fans of the original G/S/C in mind, given the rather lavish fanservice [no, not [I]that[/I] kind of fanservice, unless Morty suddenly going from hippie to hot counts for anything]. That said, it does not once assume that the player has played the originals [or any of the other games in the series], outside of being able to trade Pokemon or migrate them from R/S/E via Pal Park. It's very accommodating for newbies and vets alike.

So yeah, you're all set if you want this one to be your gateway.

Right now, I'm at Olivine...kind of BSing around so I don't stampede through Johto too quickly. That, and I hate the lighthouse. :/ Always hated going through it.

On a related note: I got a Magmar in the Burned Tower!! He's currently nestled in my Pokewalker~

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Sangome'][FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]Right now, I'm at Olivine...kind of BSing around so I don't stampede through Johto too quickly. That, and I hate the lighthouse. :/ Always hated going through it. [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The lighthouse is pretty fun now, actually. It's not that long and there's a really cool part where you get to go on the outside of the building.

Also there's an elevator you can use once you get to the top and talk to Jasmine.

As for me, I've just finished fighting Chuck and healing Amphy, and that unlocked the Safari Zone. Now I'm just getting my party up to level 30 to fight Jasmine and waiting for the call from the Warden so i can get full access to the customization features of said Safari Zone.

Wait, it's Tuesday. BUG-CATCHING CONTEST, PEOPLE. Scyther, here I come. :D

EDIT: Finished the contest. In the end I caught a Pinsir at full health (but paralyzed) and won 2nd place.

The winner caught a Weedle.

What.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The lighthouse is pretty fun now, actually. It's not that long and there's a really cool part where you get to go on the outside of the building.

Also there's an elevator you can use once you get to the top and talk to Jasmine.[/FONT][/quote]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]Yeah, I saw that when I went in initially. I was like "OH BOY I GET TO GO STRAIGHT TO THE TOP AND IGNORE EVERYONE" when I was met with the locked door. Ffft. But I'll be sure to keep that in mind.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The winner caught a Weedle.

What.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]THAT HAPPENED TO ME, TOO! But I got a Scyther out of it, so s'all good. But still. :|[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='chibi-master']*snicker* How did that happen?:blulaugh:[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]No idea, but it should pretty much be impossible.

Anyway, I finally completed the Safari Zone junk and got my LARVITAR :wigout: Whom I promptly named Rocquelle and am transferring to my Pokéwalker right now. She will accompany me to GameCrazy and help me find a new DSi power cord since mine came used and has started to short out now.

After capturing her, I went back to the Pokemon Center to see her and found out my party had caught Pokérus. I call this a good day.[/FONT]

i love the lodgic game at the goldenrod game corner... but it has just enough luck in it to mess me up. I will go through three levels of winning using half an hour to figure all the possibilities and probabilities out, then on the fourth level i will get down to the last four boxes and no possible way of knowing which thing is were... and i am not what you would call a lucky person.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Voltorb Flip is alright. I don't mind it so much since I hated the slot machines anyway. The fact that they removed any and all alternate methods of getting Game Corner tokens, such as buying them in large quantities, that annoys me.

Anyway, everyone remember that shop in Mahogany that used to be a Team Rocket hideout? You don't need to worry about it anymore. It's just a souvenir shop. Nothing suspicious about it. No need to be alarmed.[/FONT]