OtakuBoards

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver Trading, Discussion and SRS BIZNESS

The Spectacular Professor

Using the Pokewalker for grinding is awesome!

List of Eevee evolutions names (Bold=already have):

[LIST]

[B][*]Eevee: Sandy

[*]Umbreon: Romanus

[*]Vaporeon: Aquilin

[*]Flareon: Tabasco

[*]Jolteon: Wires[/B]

[*]Espeon: Lulu

[*]Leafeon: Birch

[*]Glaceon: Arctica

[/LIST] Edited by chibi-master

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to really like Eevee and all its evolutions, but I think I've replaced it with other pokemon that I like a lot. I totally had an Vaporeon on my competitive team (and an Umbreon on a different line up) for D/P but I just don't see one make it in this time... I felt so generic using one, since they seem pretty popular, but I guess most competitive OU teams pretty much use the same pokemon.

[SIZE="1"]I wish I could get into competitive battling. I just don't really have the necessary patience for EV training OR breeding for the right nature, or the mind for either pre-planned or real time strategy. Some of my party pokemon have move sets ripped straight from Smogon, but the wrong nature and no EVs.

I mostly just use it to get a leg up on the actually challenging NPC battles in the game, and so I can stand a chance against Kevin (Goodbye, Face) when we battle. He's actually got a competitive team with a subpunching Breloom and a powerful Electivire, but I somehow managed to beat him a few times.

This is my Platinum team right now:

Juno the Garchomp (adamant) lv. 71 (Stealth Rock, Fire Fang, Dragon Rush, Earthquake)
Athena the Rhyperior (hardy) lv. 70 (Megahorn, Stone Edge, Avalanche, Earthquake)
Infernape (got in a trade, adamant) lv. 72 (Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch)
Noel he Weavile (lonely) lv. 74 (Ice Punch, Swords Dance, Night Slash, Brick Break)
Charlotte the Gardevoir (bold) lv. 70 (Psychic, Hypnosis, Magical Leaf, Thunderbolt)

I also use a Swampert sometimes, but he's not as strong as the rest of the team and only has two good moves, Waterfall and Earthquake. As long as I have two ground pokemon I don't really need a water type.

I'm thinking about breeding an Electivire, Luxray, or Lanturn, though.

EDIT:

JESUS, yesterday I breezed through the Elite Four with only five pokemon and it was no problem, but Cynthia just killed me. It was her damn Spiritomb. No weaknesses is such BS. I don't even remember how I took it down yesterday.

EDIT EDIT:

So I'm trying again. Against Aaron's Yanmega, if you think Fire Punch will be enough to take it down in one hit, you are mistaken. FML.[/SIZE]

I only had the patience to actually EV train, grind to 100, get the proper moves and nature, and get the right items for my original team. After I realized that I need to make some changes I may or may not have use a program called Pokesav that lets you generate your own pokemon (lots of people call this hacking and don?t like it too much, but I didn?t give them any ridicules stats or IV?s, It was just a time saver) which is really useful if you are using an R4 to play the game instead of actually buying it.

Speaking of not buying it, I really really really want a Pokewalker, I almost thought about going to buy a HeartGold just to get one but? how do you move pokemon on to/off of it?

I don't really feel like looking to see what there moves were, but the team I got to 100 and did everything thing by hand look like this

Kingdra- Physical damage
Vaporeon- Special damage
Staraptor- Physical damage
Mamoswine-Support/physical damage
Dugtrio-Physical damage
Gardevoir-Support

See I got them all to 100 and thought every thing was good to go, until a CurseLax dominated me :(

[SIZE="1"]I don't even have the patience for grinding. I have over 150 hours logged in Platinum since I got it last March (of course I often went for months without playing it after I graduated high school because it was boring without any people playing beside me), and my highest leveled pokemon is only 75. It doesn't really help that my very first pokemon, Empoleon, has been sitting in my box since I don't even remember when.

You know, I could hardly even muster the patience to feed my pokemon 60 rare candies back in the early days.

I really need to send my HG team back, but all my Pokemon friends are too busy to help me make the trade. [/SIZE]

[quote name='chibi-master']Using the Pokewalker for grinding is awesome![/quote]

I miss doing that. :animecry: However, they have some on Amazon for 20$! :animesmil I know it's more expensive than the Nintendo store, but this way I can actually buy one. (Since I can just get an Amazon card.)

So yay for having a Pokewalker again soon!

Also, I beat Clair finally. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. :o However, don't you have to beat her a second time? Do her levels change on the second fight? Because if they do, I need to grind again.

[quote name='Sangome'][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=1]It shouldn't. GameStop events require you to connect your game to the wifi they have set up there, and you receive the event Pokemon directly onto your game.[Though if you have too many Wonder Cards still on the game, it won't transfer. They can simply be deleted, though, if you already got the Pokemon that the card was needed for.] The Yellow Road was a direct download from the Nintendo WFC, so you didn't need to go to GameStop for that.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Okay, thank you very much Sangome. I need to head out to Gamestop anyways, so hopefully that event starts soon. I can't wait. :animesmil

[quote name='Lilt']Also, I beat Clair finally. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. :o However, don't you have to beat her a second time? Do her levels change on the second fight? Because if they do, I need to grind again.[/QUOTE]

If you mean a second time immediately after she denies you your badge, no. Just go to the cave place thing, answer some questions correctly and you get the badge.

Is anyone else slightly frightened when they have something big like a Gyarados in the Pokewalker and the record thing that says how the walk went tells you "...it seems as if it will jump on your back!" I would not like one of the really heavy pokemon to jump on my back...:animedepr

• 2 weeks later...
You're not the only one, Chibi. It scares me too. :animedepr

Also, I finally made it to the Indigo Plateau! :animesmil However, I need to build a team to beat the Elite Four. Any tips or anything for me?

And the Winner's Path is out? I had no idea! :animestun

Has anyone tried out the Pokémon Trainer Creator yet? I have the link if anyone is interested. It was made by someone from Deviant Art and it's actually pretty cool. :o (I still can't decide on a look for my trainer. I keep starting over. :animeswea )

[quote name='chibi-master']Is anyone else slightly frightened when they have something big like a Gyarados in the Pokewalker and the record thing that says how the walk went tells you "...it seems as if it will jump on your back!" I would not like one of the really heavy pokemon to jump on my back...:animedepr[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]Oh come on now. A Snorlax isn't all that heavy.

*is shot and arrested*

On another note, I finally beat Blaine. I think I'm going to stop and do some level griding/filling up my PokeDex now, because I know Level 50ish and one level 60 Pokemon will barely get me through the battle with Blue, and Red....ugh x_x[/COLOR]

Okay, forget what I said about the Elite Four...Because I finally beat them! :catgirl:

I know I shouldn't be surprised though, since this was my team. I only had trouble with Charizard since he kept using that flying move of his first and it made my Lapras flinch a lot.

Typhlosion 52
Raichou 52
Alakazam 50
Jynx 50
Lapras 50
Hitmonlee 50

The hall of fame was...wow. :animestun This was the first time I've beaten a game in a while too.

So is it just me, or is the Winner's Path easier than the Yellow Forest to get rare anything? And is the GTS crazy or is it just me? Everyone wants legendaries for even common Pokémon! :animeangr

• 2 weeks later...
[b]What is an LG? Also, I thought you only get Charizard after you beat Red? O.o

Right now I am trying to grind to take on the rest of the Kanto gyms. (I already beat Surge.) Why are all of the Pokémon so low in level though? I thought I could grind on the way to Saffron, but no such luck. Are there any grinding spots in Kanto or is Victory Road my only option?

I hope it isn't, since I need to level up some electric types to take on Misty soon.[/b] Edited by Piano Parade

[quote name='Piano Parade' date='02 June 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1275521629' post='694320']
[b]What is an LG? Also, I thought you only get Charizard after you beat Red? O.o[/b]
[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"]LG = LeafGreen, and you can transfer your Pokemon from GBA games via the PalPark in Fuschia (unless you have a DSi, in which case you wont be able to do it)

Also, I need to get back to playing this game, but the fact that I'm still destroying Trainers/Wild Pokemon in Kanto, yet the strongest Pokemon I have is at level 62, the motivation just isn't there :x Grinding tends to do that.[/color]

[quote name='RedJ' date='03 June 2010 - 02:16 AM' timestamp='1275524211' post='694326']
[color="#FF0000"]LG = LeafGreen, and you can transfer your Pokemon from GBA games via the PalPark in Fuschia (unless you have a DSi, in which case you wont be able to do it)

Also, I need to get back to playing this game, but the fact that I'm still destroying Trainers/Wild Pokemon in Kanto, yet the strongest Pokemon I have is at level 62, the motivation just isn't there :x Grinding tends to do that.[/color]
[/quote]

[b]Is there anywhere to grind in Kanto? D: I can't seem to find any places at all. All of the Pokémon are low levels.

Also, I actually played on a DSi. But now I have a DS Lite. I guess for Pokémon though, it's better to have the Lite anyways?

I never really use the camera that much anyways, but that's a topic for another thread. XD[/b]

[img]http://pokebeach.com/news/0610/movie-13-scizor-download.jpg[/img]

`The official site has today updated informing us of a new WiFi event. This event is to tie in with the new movie, Phantom Champion Zoroark, and features a Scizor that represents the Scizor of Goon, one of the antagonists of the film. This Scizor is Level 50 and is in a Cherish Ball. It has the Swarm ability, holds a Starf Berry, and the attacks; X-Scissor, Swords Dance, Iron Defence and Agility. It will be given over WiFi on all current Japanese DS games in from June 18th 2010 to July 14th 2010.`

I hope it comes to America! Edited by Citric

[quote name='Piano Parade' date='04 June 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1275698340' post='694605']
[b]Is there anywhere to grind in Kanto? D: I can't seem to find any places at all. All of the Pokémon are low levels.[/b][/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]What I've found is that the best way to grind once you hit Kanto is to battle every trainer you come across and be sure to get their phone numbers when you battle them. You can cross-reference when they're usually available to battle with the listing that Serebii.net has on their site, as opposed to just waiting for them to buzz you for a battle (but that works, too). But yeah, until you beat all the Kanto Leaders and manage to make it to Mt. Silver, grinding is pretty hard in Kanto.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Citric' date='04 June 2010 - 06:48 PM' timestamp='1275702505' post='694619']
[img]http://pokebeach.com/news/0610/movie-13-scizor-download.jpg[/img]

`The official site has today updated informing us of a new WiFi event. This event is to tie in with the new movie, Phantom Champion Zoroark, and features a Scizor that represents the Scizor of Goon, one of the antagonists of the film. This Scizor is Level 50 and is in a Cherish Ball. It has the Swarm ability, holds a Starf Berry, and the attacks; X-Scissor, Swords Dance, Iron Defence and Agility. It will be given over WiFi on all current Japanese DS games in from June 18th 2010 to July 14th 2010.`

I hope it comes to America!
[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"]...I feel REALLY sorry for anyone unfortunate enough to be named Goon, antagonist or not.[/color]

[quote name='RedJ' date='05 June 2010 - 07:03 AM' timestamp='1275714230' post='694633']
[color="#FF0000"]...I feel REALLY sorry for anyone unfortunate enough to be named Goon, antagonist or not.[/color]
[/quote]

[b]I bet he was a middle child. I can just imagine the naming process his parents went through.

"What should we name him, dear?"
"His only future is a life of crime. Let's name him Goon."

XD

@Kei: Thanks for the help. I'll do that then.

And two questions for anyone. I finally have a DS Lite, so if I had to choose between LeafGreen or FireRed, what made you guys choose one over the other, if you played them?

Also, besides using a Dusk ball, does anyone have a good strategy for catching Entei and Raikou? D:[/b] Edited by Piano Parade

[quote name='Piano Parade' date='04 June 2010 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1275720791' post='694641']Also, besides using a Dusk ball, does anyone have a good strategy for catching Entei and Raikou? D:[/b]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]If you go by the strategy of tracking them down repeatedly rather than locking them into battle with Mean Look or Shadow Tag, a Fast Ball has the exact same catch rate as a Dusk Ball because you only have one turn to catch them in (they'll retain damage and status effects from previous battles, though). It might take a little while, but that technique should snag them within an hour each, if you're tracking them constantly.[/font]

[quote name='Piano Parade' date='05 June 2010 - 02:53 AM' timestamp='1275720791' post='694641']
[b]And two questions for anyone. I finally have a DS Lite, so if I had to choose between LeafGreen or FireRed, what made you guys choose one over the other, if you played them?[/b][/quote]

For me, it would depend on what Pokemon you can or can't find in each game. I picked Heart Gold over Soul Silver partially because you get Growlithe in HG (and partially because I still have the original Silver and felt I should give the other side of the spectrum a whirl).

If you need to know what games have what exclusive Pokemon, go [u][url="http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_FireRed_and_LeafGreen_Versions#Version_exclusives"]here[/url][/u]. Edited by Clurr