OtakuBoards

Pokemon Black & Pokemon White

Katie!

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Haven't really gotten that far as of yet (mostly because Nuzlocke-ing FireRed has put me in the habit of grinding all my Pokémon to the same level), but I'm building a decent team as it stands now, I think. Current roster includes:

[b]Kurama[/b] the [b]Servine[/b] - Lax nature. Curious as a monkey and very good at laying out just about anything thrown at him in one hit thanks to Leaf Tornado and Growth.

[b]Ladybird[/b] the [b]Pidove[/b] - Sassy nature. Always preening herself. I put up with it because she's pretty good at pecking people in the face. Not to mention that no one gets past her defenses. EVER.

[b]Guilliarme[/b] the [b]Victini[/b] - Lax nature. Recently caught so I don't know it that well, but that'll change soon, I'm sure.

[b]Bruce[/b] the [b]Sawk[/b] - Lax nature. He and Kurama always seem to be chatting about things they find. Low Sweeps his way to victory in fine fashion, thanks in part to his lucky Black Belt.

[b]Amphibor[/b] the [b]Tympole[/b] - Rash nature. Always running head first into everything, mostly because he is a head. Loves feeding time a lot more than he should.

[b]Dahlia[/b] the [b]Blitzle[/b] - Impish nature. Loves nipping people on the rear as a prank. Little bit fragile, but easily shocks the competition with the strength of her electric attacks.

Prepping to take on Burgh at the moment, but apparently Team Plasma needs curbstomping. I shall oblige.
[/color][/font]

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Alright, just finished the main story. Team update:

[b]Excalibur[/b]

[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101110173311/pokemon/images/2/29/497Jalorda.png[/img]

Haughty as ever, Excalibur has now become a full-grown adult. Though he still considers himself a cut above everyone else, he does have a soft spot for his traveling companions and can't stand the sight of his servants being attacked.

[b]Lumiere[/b]

[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110222193807/pokemon/images/a/ae/Shandera.png[/img]

A hardy Chandelure and a relatively new addition to my party, but he hits hard in the Special department and actually manages to outrun a bit more than you'd suspect him to. Gets along particularly well with Excalibur, since he's only happy when he's serving others.

[b]Lenore[/b]

[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101120195308/pokemon/images/3/36/Waruvial.png[/img]

After hitting her first evolution, she gained a huge boost in confidence. Now she's my number one powerhouse. She also tends to be a little mischievous, as one of her favorite tricks in battle is to allow her opponents to boost their Attack a couple of times before pulling a Foul Play and letting them fall on their own sword.

[b]AppleJack[/b] (Formerly [b]Priscilla[/b])

[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101120201537/pokemon/images/e/e8/Zeburaika.png[/img]

Still as friendly as ever to her allies, AppleJack has become a fierce and determined fighter with speed all but unmatched and force enough to take on all challengers. Her fatal flaw, however, is that she tries too hard. Her favorite battle tactic is so reckless that she almost always injures herself in the heat of the fight. As such, I try not to let her stay in battle long.

[b]Sam[/b] (The American Eagle)

[img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110105145830/pokemon/images/thumb/0/07/Wargle.png/379px-Wargle.png[/img]

A true patriot, this Braviary is a loyal companion and a ferocious warrior. We're currently journeying all throughout Unova in search of new battle techniques for him. Really his only problem is he's somewhat prudish and insists on preserving our team's "moral fiber" in the strangest manners possible. He also demands I find a hat for him to wear and name "Canada".

[b]Wocky[/b]

[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110228031229/pokemon/images/thumb/6/63/Zuruzukin.png/235px-Zuruzukin.png[/img]

Wocky grew up in the projects. His mother was high-strung and his father was never there, and with a name like "Wocky" you learn to grow up tough. Recently he's matured and learned to pick his fights more carefully, but he's still ready to throw down when need be. He enjoys having terrible rap battles with Sam, who doesn't even realize that his lyrics are supposed to rhyme.[/font]

Picked up White a few days ago. Really loving it so far. This feels like the proper sequel the Pokemon series has needed since Red and Blue came out. Everything is so well thought-out, and I'm thrilled that the developers addressed some of my biggest headaches. I haven't had too much time with it yet, but that will probably change next week while I'm on a road trip.

[center][img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6f/498MS.png[/img]
[b]Pignite[/b] is my tank so far. Tepig is adorable, so it was an easy choice for my starter. Plus, I picked Charmander first in Red, so it only seemed fitting. The combination of fire/fighting should be interesting to see in action as we go later on.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f2/507MS.png[/img]
[b]Herdier[/b] has some great attack power, but a bit of a glass jaw. I'm in the minority here, but I have a soft spot for normal-types.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6a/512MS.png[/img]
[b]Simisage[/b] is pretty good for a grass-type. At this point it's coming in handy.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/62/524MS.png[/img]
[b]Roggenrola[/b] is awesome. No complaints here.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/73/538MS.png[/img]
[b]Throh[/b] has an awesome name. I don't like Pokemon without a full evolution cycle, but maybe that's less of a hindrance in this game...?

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/4e/510MS.png[/img]
[b]Liepard[/b] is doing absolutely nothing for me.[/center]

- Shy

[quote name='Boo' timestamp='1300113820' post='705687']
Some of these pokémon look really awful. :(
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]All gens had awful Pokemon. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I'm about to face Drayden. I am probably not prepared at all. I'm going to mainly rely on Stocking the Gothitelle since I think Psychic types won't get cut in half by Dragons? Not sure though.

As for my team, I'll edit with that later, but I am uncreative and don't have cute personalities laid out for them or anything. ._.; Sorreh.[/font][/color]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Much as I love the old gens, you can easily argue that they all had "Pokemon that aren't really Pokemon". Although considering Gen V specifically takes elements from Gen I, maybe the derpiness of some Pokemon are intentional? I dunno. YMMV.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

I'm training to take on the Elite Four now~

Mantra is now a Haxorus and the only Pokemon I used to fight Iris. I plan on replacing her with Wuyi, my Braviary pretty soon, though... But she'll be my favorite of the Box'd Pokemon I have! :D

Inglip evolved into a Reuniclus and although his speed is kind of bad, his Psychic attack takes out almost anyone.

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1300129876' post='705690']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]All gens had awful Pokemon. Just sayin'.

As for my team, I'll edit with that later, but I am uncreative and don't have cute personalities laid out for them or anything. ._.; Sorreh.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[b]The only kind of Pokémon that bother me as far as design goes are the ones that look too much like real life animals. Like Pidove. I like it's later evolution, but it's hard to get excited about a Pokémon that you see in parks and on statues everyday. XD

I don't have cute personalities laid out yet for anything but my starter really. I can't tell you how many times I've biked all the way to the name changer because I had to give a new Pokémon a temporary name until I came up with a better one.

My problem is I keep switching them around.[/b]

[quote name='chibi-master' timestamp='1300137632' post='705696']
I'm training to take on the Elite Four now~
[/quote]

[b]Yay Congrats~! Let us know how it goes okay? ^^

How did you get there by the way? I keep getting stuck on each gym leader. (I'm stuck right before Gym Leader Clay.)

My problem is, I find out a Pokémon is no good and train it way too high then have to train my lower level boxed Pokémon to fight the gyms. Also I can never find a good solid team.

Any tips chibi? D: I never had this much trouble on HeartGold.

If anyone else has anything to add on how you chose your team, feel free to give me advice too. I think I'm also choosing too many of the cuter Pokémon this time around too. XD

White has been a lot of fun though so far. I like the Triple Battles. (I just had a taste of one thanks to that biker.) To anyone who has Black, how are the rotational battles?[/b]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]So I fought Drayden...wasn't as nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be.

On my way to Victory Road now. Probably going to get my butt handed to me at the Elite Four, at the very least. I really dig the return of the badge gates, and love what they did to them. <3

Also, I finally have my Chandelure. All is right in the Pokemon world. Minus the looming threat of hostile takeover by N and Team Plasma, that is.

[s]why am I still awake[/s][/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[quote name='Lilt' timestamp='1300173810' post='705708']
[b]Yay Congrats~! Let us know how it goes okay? ^^

How did you get there by the way? I keep getting stuck on each gym leader. (I'm stuck right before Gym Leader Clay.)

My problem is, I find out a Pokémon is no good and train it way too high then have to train my lower level boxed Pokémon to fight the gyms. Also I can never find a good solid team.

If anyone else has anything to add on how you chose your team, feel free to give me advice too. I think I'm also choosing too many of the cuter Pokémon this time around too. XD

White has been a lot of fun though so far. I like the Triple Battles. (I just had a taste of one thanks to that biker.) To anyone who has Black, how are the rotational battles?[/b]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]As a general tip, I find Blitzle/Zebstrika to be a very useful Pokemon throughout the game. They're fast and powerful. The only downside is you're sacrificing a bit of HP and Defense, especially since its most powerful move has a recoil effect.

As for Clay in particular, a good Grass-type will get you pretty dang far with him, so if you happen to have been training a Sewaddle or Cottony/Petilil, get them up to level and try it out (I can't recommend Simisage, his stats just aren't up to snuff in the end). If you can't do that, a decent Water-type will take out two of his three Pokemon, as will a Fighting-type. Throh, Sawk and Timburr are all readily available right outside of Pinwheel Forest, so I recommend you start there. That seems to be where Clay's weaknesses are all situated.[/font]

[quote name='Lilt' timestamp='1300173810' post='705708'][b]

If anyone else has anything to add on how you chose your team, feel free to give me advice too. I think I'm also choosing too many of the cuter Pokémon this time around too. XD[/b]
[/quote]
So you're stuck on the electric type gym leader? Well, I had my Pignite, Samuel, learn Rollout to take out the freaking Emolgas. The Zebstrika of doom was a combination of my Sandile, Big Mama, and the most powerful moves that Samuel could dish out after Big Mama fainted.

I choose Pokemon based on my ideals of advantages. I always have a Fire, Water, Electric and Flying type as a general rule. All of these can pretty much have an advatage over most Pokemon that I encounter.

When I get a Keldeo, I will name her Pinkie.

[b]Thanks guys. Thanks to the tips, I finally got Fly! Also I think I found some good Pokémon to add to my team thanks to you.

Is it just me though, or are the little things that Pokémon do in battle really cute/neat? Like Scraggy pulling up his shedded skin only for it to fall down again. XD

And which Pokémon is Keldeo?

I'm really liking the new Pokémon game a lot so far. I only miss my Pokéwalker, my Pokétch and that's about it. Everything else is great. Especially the little special effects when you get a new gym badge or something.[/b]

[quote name='Boo' timestamp='1300133210' post='705691']
But that Waruvial, Throh and Drilbur thing... seriously? They don't look anything like I once imagined pokémon to be like. ;_; They look more like they would star in a Super Mario RPG as villains.

Also, Normals are awesome.
[/quote][font="Tahoma"][color="#696969"]
I just can't ignore this post.

Throh is comparable to Hitmonchan look-wise. Instead of boxing gloves he has a martial arts outfit so you can't really say he doesn't match what Pokemon should be like. I [i]definitely[/i] disagree with you on the Waruvial part. That Pokemon is almost the epitome of what a Pokemon should be. He's basically a Charizard without wings and fire (seeing as how he is part Ground that makes sense). To me a Pokemon is a monster based on the look of a specific animal (Pikachu) or everyday object (Magnemite) with the design altered based on what type of Pokemon it is. Waruvial is based on a Crocodile and is Ground/Dark, so he has dark stripes and a long snout.

As for Drilbur, while he could easily pass as a lowly villain in Super Mario RPG, so could [i]a lot[/i] of the original 150 Pokemon (Raticate, Golem, etc) so that statement really isn't fair. Not to mention his evolve form is a bit more sophisticated and is much more Pokemon-esque. I'd say the difference between Drilbur and Excadrill is comparable to the difference between Wartortle and Blastoise, actually.
[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/0/0c/008Wartortle.png/170px-008Wartortle.png[/img]>[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/0/02/009Blastoise.png/160px-009Blastoise.png[/img]
[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/c/cf/529Drilbur.png/180px-529Drilbur.png[/img]>[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/6/63/530Excadrill.png/220px-530Excadrill.png[/img]

Anyway, I think they really nailed it with the designs this time around. There are still bad ones in this Gen too, don't get me wrong, I definitely facepalmed when I saw the ice cream cone. But that being said there were some pretty horrible looking Pokemon in Generation [size="4"]1[/size] (*cough*Porygon*cough*) that nobody admits are dumb because [i]it's the first generation[/i] and [i]that makes them cool[/i] and I guess that attitude just rubs me the wrong way. They're never going to please everyone, obviously, but they came pretty darn close with this generation.

That and the Pokemon have much more emotion and life in their animations now. They actually feel like living creatures instead of a mesh of pixels that barely move.
[img]http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/555.gif[/img]
Note: This is just the idle animation.
[/color][/font]

[quote name='White' timestamp='1300239983' post='705731']
[font="Tahoma"][color="#696969"]Anyway, I think they really nailed it with the designs this time around. There are still bad ones in this Gen too, don't get me wrong, I definitely facepalmed when I saw the ice cream cone. But that being said there were some pretty horrible looking Pokemon in Generation [size="4"]1[/size] (*cough*Porygon*cough*) that nobody admits are dumb because [i]it's the first generation[/i] and [i]that makes them cool[/i] and I guess that attitude just rubs me the wrong way. They're never going to please everyone, obviously, but they came pretty darn close with this generation. [/color][/font]
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]*likelikelikelikelikelike*

I mean, as much as I adore Gen I, it is not the bastion of creativity people seem to hail it as. I understand the nostalgia, and I understand the need to keep nostalgia goggles on sometimes, but a lot of them are just...bad. Especially with the names [Krabby and Seel, anyone?].

Gen V is probably the first gen where I am really, really satisfied with a lot of the designs, and really like a lot of the Pokemon. It's especially good since Gen IV/Sinnoh disappointed me so much [although, ironically enough, it DID give me my favorite Pokemon ever -- Giratina]. It's gotten me to really form a team that I truly care about. I haven't felt that way since my beloved Crystal back in the day [even if 90% of my team was just a Legendary-fest].[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Here I like Jynx and was actually hoping for an evo this gen.

Herp de herp.

Anyway, beat the game last night. Love it to death; easily my favorite gen now, hands down. They got so many things right, and it truly feels like a new generation of games.

Starting up the postgame stuff now. I don't consider this a huge spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway;

[spoiler]Apparently the English translation team either missed the fact that Looker is impled to be an Unova native, or they didn't care...which, given the care given to the script so far, I'd say it was the former. But either way, he still speaks awkward English, when apparently he spoke smooth, fluent Japanese in the original, so.[/spoiler][/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I just picked this up yesterday and I haven't played it yet. I'll make sure to post my thoughts here once I've had a bit of play time with this - being my first Pokemon since Red/Blue, I'm pretty excited. :)

Oh, and I ended up buying Pokemon Black, by the way. :)[/font]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I really am fighting hard, trying to resist the urge to buy either Black or White but honestly I think it's a losing battle. One of my housemates picked up White on Tuesday and I've barely been able to stop looking over his shoulder any time we're in the sitting room since, even logging a few extra minutes here and there on my copy of HeartGold to try to sate my Pokemon addiction. Assuming that I do give in, and I'm thinking it'll probably be quite soon, I'm having a hard time choosing between Black and White. Obviously given there's already a copy of White in the house it makes sense to go for Black, but I prefer a lot of White's Pokemon to Black's (Mightyena is an old and trusted friend) and White Forest sounds kinda cooler than Black City (no Pokemon in the city is a bit of a buzz-kill).

Regardless of which version I get I will be starting with Oshawott, though I am kinda disappointed Samurott isn't a coral sword wielding badass samurai with the way the evolution seemed to be going with Dewott.[/size][/font]

I must echo previous statements and say I love this Gen, they got so much right. I love a lot of the new Pokemon, unexpectedly, which made it hard for awhile to choose specific ones to keep as my "main" team. The other thing is that most of the new Pokemon seem to actually be [i]useful[/i]. As in, there's very few "catch 'em and box 'em for life" ones. Of course, there's still the overpowered lot, but hey. Whatever, it's still fun.
I'm already in the post-game stuff, but it's still entertaining. Looots to do~

Oh, I suppose I should mention, I got Pokemon White. And funnily enough, my older brother got Pokemon Black. I was surprised, I didn't think he'd get interested in Pokemon again. If we ever battle each other, though, he'll probably whoop my butt since he's taking the raising part more seriously than I am. He has a frickin' Eelektross for goodness' sakes! Screw that Pokemon, man. >:/

But uhh, yeah, I could go on 'cause I really really do love these games, but for now I'll just post my team ('cause everyone else was doing it :V) and my Friend Code for anyone who wants it.

Name: Nony
Code: 1205 8808 3662

[i]And here come the stars of the show![/i]

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/b/b7/497Serperior.png/149px-497Serperior.png[/img]
[b]Matcha the Serperior[/b] - I always pick the Grass starter, so this was a no-brainer (even if everyone else also picked Snivy as their starter, who cares). This not-so-little-anymore guy is a stubborn thing that, once he's decided on some action or opinion, that's it. He can't be moved. Of course I love him to bits.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/a1/523Zebstrika.png/158px-523Zebstrika.png[/img]
[b]Sleipnir the Zebstrika[/b] - Tru fax: When I first started seeing art for the new Pokemon way back when, when I saw there was a [i]frickin' electric zebra[/i], I knew I had to have one. Sleipnir is a quiet but powerful ally, and she sure can dish it out! I've thought about maybe switching to a different Electric type, but nope. Sleipnir's here to stay.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/7/74/538Throh.png/184px-538Throh.png[/img]
[b]Kumojacky the Throh[/b] - The only reason I originally caught this guy was so I could beat Lenora's gym. However, he has since more than proven his worth. Kumojacky truly lives up to his name and kicks butt constantly (actually, that's probably the opposite of living up to his name)... despite the fact that his nature is Bashful and he purportedly dozes off often. Oh well.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/4/40/555Darmanitan.png/170px-555Darmanitan.png[/img]
[b]Infernopoo the Darmanitan[/b] - To get why I named him what I did, you have to check Darumaka's Pokedex entry for Pokemon White. Either way, Infernopoo is a frickin' powerhouse and I have not regretted for one minute picking this little guy up. When he was still a Darumaka, he was the star of the Pokemon Musical stage! Sadly his musical career had to be put on indefinite hold when he evolved.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/d/d0/565Carracosta.png/250px-565Carracosta.png[/img]
[b]Tartarga the Carracosta[/b] - One of the few I wasn't sure about back when she was a Tirtouga. Honestly, she kept dying! And she wasn't strong enough to support herself. But lo and behold, once she evolved she turned into a powerhouse who only occasionally fights losing battles (poor girl, at least she tries). We hit it off well though, both of us being the type to clown around.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/6/68/623Golurk.png/180px-623Golurk.png[/img]
[b]Goliath the Golurk[/b] - The latest addition to the team, but one of the coolest nonetheless. Here I was, thinking, "Man, I need something that can fly! Such a pain!" But wait, Goliath is a Ground/Ghost type! It can't use--OH YES IT CAN! Yeah, Golurks can Fly. Imagine that for a moment, if you will. But lucky me, I got a mischievous one in Goliath; just what I needed, a 700+ lb. giant running around causing trouble! Edited by Miss Anonymous

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1300564056' post='705801']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]One of usssssssssss...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

So it seems. :P

[quote name='Miss Anonymous' timestamp='1300564856' post='705802']
I hope you named your trainer Hercule.
[/quote]

Sadly no, I've always named my trainer Gavin and his rival William where the opportunity arises, an old agreement between myself and former member/moderator Jokopoko.

Depending on whether I catch a Sawk or Throh I will call one of them Hercule.[/size][/font] Edited by Gavin