OtakuBoards

Gunslinger Girl

Dagger

FUNimation just announced that they've acquired the rights to Gunslinger Girl. I'm shocked (I guess I was expecting ADV or Bandai to get it), but also [I]really[/I] happy that a company has finally picked up this wonderful title.

Hopefully Funi will give Gunslinger Girl a fantastic English dub. I have some doubts, because I think that any show with so many young characters and tragic, highly emotional scenes would be difficult to dub, but I wish them the best of luck. Now I can safely delete my fansubs. ^_^

~Dagger~

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]TELL ME YOU ARE LYING, YOU SICK *****!!!

*runs around, burning things*

Skippedry, Skippedry, Skippedry!! Don't you *dare* delete your fansubs, unless you are telling a horrible lie.
Just so you know, this is beyond being funny. >:^O

FUNimation is a [i]terrible[/i] organization that obviously takes great delight in hiring utterly talent-less voice-actors, re-writing scripts, cutting all the good parts, censoring everything from blood to guns, and they just...eugh.

They're awful. I actually screamed when I read your last post. I [b]screamed[/b] Skippedry. If you're telling a mean joke (and I'm going to find out if this is the truth once I finish writing this), I am [i]so[/i] not being your friend any more.

I resent the thought of such a beautiful series being taken and mangled by such a hideous, ruthless monster. I will start a petition! Hell--screw that. I'll just burn FUNimation's headquarters!!
The [i]last[/i] thing I want to see is Henrietta's lifestory being bastardized and played at 4:30pm for all the eight-year-olds to come home and watch after school.

EDIT: I'm curious--where did you read this? It's not on their site. : /[/FONT][/COLOR]

Funi made the announcement at A-Kon, and AnimeonDVD was the first website to post the information (as they usually are).

1. FUNimation does not edit anime. Cartoon Network does, but solely for legal reasons.

2. When CN censors Funi's shows, the company [i]always[/i] produces two versions of every single DVD, one of which is fully uncut. I own plenty of Funi DVDs and have watched enough of Toonami to prove this conclusively.

3. Case Closed, Yu Yu Hakusho and Fruits Basket--all fairly recent FUNimation series--have excellent, well-acted dubs. Fruits Basket in particular is a shining example of an anime with a near-perfect English voice cast. I've heard that Kiddy Grade's dub is also rather good, although I haven't watched the show for myself.

4. Like 99% of contemporary anime companies, FUNImation uses true subtitles (as opposed to dubtitles) based on each show's original Japanese script, which makes their DVDs more accurate than any fansub.

5. Saying that FUNimation re-writes scripts and censors their series is evidence of extreme ignorance. Only a few North American distributors engage in those unfortunate practices; Nelvana and 4Kids are the most notorious among them. As a matter of fact, FUNimation recently won the right to produce uncut bilingual releases of previously butchered 4Kids series like Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh.

6. Plenty of FUNimation shows (i.e. Fruits Basket and Kiddy Grade) never were and probably never will be shown on TV.

The ball's in your court, Godel.

~Dagger~

• 1 year later...
Gunsliger Girl is one of those anime that just you watch with an open jaw. The story is that a goverment organization in Italy called the Welfare Agency has taken terminally ill children (all of whom are girls about 7-11 years old) and implant cybornetics into them, erase their memories, and then train them as badass assassins. It is really something to see a 10 year old girl start sniping people with a Dragonov rifle, as well as fill several people with holes and not have a care in the world. This is an anime I would highly recommend.

• 2 weeks later...
Volume 2 came in the mail recently, and I'm just starting to sink my teeth into it.

I'm really impressed with what FUNimation has done for this series. The extras are well-organized and very interesting. I liked hearing the English VA's thoughts on their characters (and I normally find dub-centric interviews, commentary, etc. to be pretty boring; this segment, called "Meet the Real Gunslinger Girls," was much more focused and interesting than the norm--it helped that the actresses were all quite articulate).

The "Building Rico" feature was just as fascinating as the corresponding one for Henrietta which was included with volume 1. Basically, it shows how many different levels of detail & shading are needed simply to complete one still image of the character.

This is the weakest part of the show, as far as I'm concerned (which is part of the reason that I'm still only halfway through the disc), but I'm looking forward to watching things start building up to the ending.

~Dagger~

I thought I already put in my two cents on this anime, but I guess I was mistaken.

[font=Verdana][size=2]Right off the bat I found this anime to be very similar to Noir just from the opening theme. It shows a couple action shots of the children performing combat (my favorite weapon being the weapon of choice for Triela which is a shotgun) moves. Anyway though, the opening song is just perfect. I had to play it for about a half hour staight for the textless opening in the extras section.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]The plot is pretty brutle witnessing how each girl struggles to survive. What I mean by this is (and I don't believe this is a spoiler) each time the "brother" puts more conditioning into their "sister" the less human characteristics the girls have. As much as I think Henrietta is a sweet girl, Triela is more of a favorite for me. Shes more articulate then the others and has more experience then the others in their line of work. In the anime you will also see how she tries her best to help the others feel more relaxed (and show a bit more human emotions).[/size][/font]

• 1 month later...
I just got done watching the first DVD... as I've done in the past, my first impressions:

1. This show doesn't really remind me of Noir. This show seems set to become brutal in the later episodes, where as Noir seemed to have somewhat of an aversion to direct brutality. (i.e. they didn't show Kirika stabbing that guard's eye out, but instead just showed you enough that you got the idea) Gunlinger Girl also seems to focus more on relationships between the characters.

2. Triela is my favorite so far, too. Out of the bunch, she seems the most in touch with her surroundings.

3. OMG! RICO KILLED DR. KURAMA! Nana isn't going to be happy about this... watch your back, Rico!

4. Speaking of Rico, something tell me that the Jean is going to get it bad before this show is over. Either that, or his character is going to go through a complete metamorphosis.

5. While the potential loli theme of this show left me skeptical coming in, I really enjoyed this one... I think that I might just add it to my collection.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Bloodseeker']3. OMG! RICO KILLED DR. KURAMA! Nana isn't going to be happy about this... watch your back, Rico![/quote]
Good one. :animesmil

I was not too thrilled with re-watching the episodes on disc 2 (the show never gets bad or anything, but it does sag a wee bit in the middle). Breaking out the last disc was a real pleasure, though. The [spoiler]singing[/spoiler] in episode 13 was dubbed beautifully, and I was very impressed with how Monica Rial delivered Angelica's key lines. Plus seeing [spoiler]Claes kick royal ***[/spoiler] again made my day.

~Dagger~

*picks up SVD and slings AK-103 over back*
*aims SVD at a random drug lord in Russia*
"Say 'Bye Bye', *****"
*fires SVD*
*Drug Lord dies*
"Owned"

Taken from a secne of my mind :animeswea

I think its a good series. Any Anime or Magna with Guns is awsome

*reloads T-33*
"Now what? Oh Yes, That one drug dealer down the street form where I live..."

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Twilight_Kioku']i need the 4th dvd, must see must see... ^^[/quote]
Funi managed to fit it onto three. In other words, there is no fourth DVD. :animeswea

Glad you enjoyed it, though. If you want more stories involving the Section 2 girls, there's always the manga (currently being released by ADV's manga division). So far only three volumes are out, if I remember correctly, but even those do go a little beyond what's shown in the anime. And the manga is great in its own right.

~Dagger~

• 4 months later...
Oh boy. Oh boy, oh boy. Surprised there's no topic about this series yet, but you heard it from me first (or maybe last) this series is quality. I just watched all 13 episodes back to back and I haven?t felt this depressed (in a good way) since the days of Evangelion. The final episode made me cry, the action scenes make the ones from Kill Bill look like everyday stuff and my favourite weapon; the P90 appears in the first episode. What more could I ask? Oh yeah, I could ask for a great soundtrack to back up the great animation but hey, they provided that too with lots of Violins & Pianos.

I watched it all in Japanese with English fan subs via a torrent I found, but as I am pleased with the quality of this series (unlike Najica Blitz Tactics which I recently downloaded) I am more than happy to collect and re-watch this series on DVD in English this time. Volume one should arrive soon, but until then I?d like to know if anyone else has seen this series yet or are interested in it, I?m not very easy to please but in my opinion this series just has so much to offer if given the chance.

PS: I don?t usually cry over movies, but the final episode just really hit me.

[SIZE=1][INDENT][COLOR=DarkRed]Actually, there is a topic about this series. Check the Official Threads Directory (a sticky in Anime Lounge) before creating new threads about Anime. If you want to talk about only one Anime, you should use the Official Thread. -Arvi[/COLOR][/INDENT][/SIZE]

• 1 month later...
Hi,has any one seen Gunslinger girl?I have the second volume (They didn't have the first one at the store I went to. :() and I like it so far.I hope to buy the first volume sometime this year. ^_^

And is it okay for me to make a gunslinger girl topic in the Manga section?(if there isn't one already,I have not yet checked.)I have a few questions to ask about it. ^_^'

I'm glad that you enjoyed the second volume even without seeing the first volume. The series is only three volumes in total, so if you were able to understand what was happening in volume 2, you might as well move forward and see volume 3 before going back to the beginning.

And you can go ahead and create a Gunslinger Girl thread in the manga forum. Ain't nothing wrong with that. :)

~Dagger~

• 5 months later...
I just recently picked up Gunslinger Girl and finshed the first volume. Its very slow paced but its still really good. You feel alot of sympthay for the girls and can almost feel their inner sadness and confusion. The action is well done all the guns are acurate and very detailed looking. Very good animation and the plot feels fresh. Its a very dark series but so far im enjoying Ill post mpre about as I progress through the series.

• 4 weeks later...
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Olive][I]I really like Gunslinger Girl. :love2: I first heard this anime from my friend. She told me that Gunslinger is a cool anime. I became curious so I watch it. When I watch the first part I became amused about the creator of this anime. :wow: The scenes are very detailed and the moves of the characters are very cool. Iwish there was the second part of it because I'm not contented in episode 1-13. I want more of it![/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

• 3 years later...
This anime was just introduced to me through someone we all know and love, the infamous Inuyasha Fandom.

This anime.... it's so messed up I don't know where to begin. And it brought me, the bad *** that I awesomely am, to tears several times because it's so sad and I felt horrible for those poor girls. Anyone else have any thoughts on it? Can anyone tell me who these girls are? Or what's up with Claes? [spoiler]Did her handler die? Were her memories erased when he died? Is Triella Josse's sister?[/spoiler]

So many questions.... think anyone can answer them or pose new questions for thought?

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]ExcelExcel, I have merged your thread with the official [I]Gunslinger Girl [/I]thread that we already have. If you wish to post a thread dedicated to a specific series, please make use of the [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=38208"][U]Anime Central Thread Directory[/U][/URL] in the future. In addition, please use spoiler tags in regards to potential spoilery material, as not everyone has seen or completed the series. ~ [B]Sangome[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 1 month later...
The first volume was pretty darn good, especially if you like action. It had other good points about it but the action was top-notch. Also, for a very anti-gun society like japan, they did a fantastic job on the guns and the gun info. They even sound right.

The second volume was good as well, but focused more on the emotional attachments the 'dolls' had to their handlers and to the world, it wasn't my thing, but that didn't make it bad...

My favortie character has to be Triela, she has a cool design with the three-piece suit and all that

• 1 month later...