OtakuBoards

Things that make you feel like drinking.

CaNz

Hello my name is CaNz and I'm an alcoholic...

okay... not really, but at times i feel like poisoning myself with fermented liquids. This thread is for people who succumb to their own humanity and admit that they get sad enough to want to stop feeling so darn bad(please excuse the lack of cuss words, this site makes me try to type in a manner far too intelligent to grasp the energy of swearing) and pick up a bottle of booze and have at those brain cells. We all have our reasons for wanting to drink... and this is the spot to let it all out. just know that to post anything is to be judged by all...

as for me... its love(or lack there of) It may be my extreme girlishness or my personal self-insecurity but the only thing that tends to depress me is loneliness, and any little domino tends to spring a chain reaction of turmoil.

I am writing this on bottle number 2 of wine, and my night is far from over. this isn't a call for sympathy, i just wanna let anyone else who might do what i do in the future know that someone else is out there who completely understands.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Actually, the times like that where I really want to drink are the times I am the least likely to do so. While I do drink occasionally, I feel that having drinks because I really need one because I feel bad is a good way to start down a dangerous road (especially considering I stress out fairly easily), so I won't allow myself to drink when that's the reason.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

okay... i am actually quite happy that you can cope with stress better than the majority of the world, however some people do drink for temporary relief, so i consider you different, not better.
likewise i consider myself and everyone else who has done this different, not worse and should not be looked down upon.

[font=franklin gothic medium]Hm, when I read the thread title initially I think I got the wrong impression.

I understand that people drink when they are sad - the same way that people can over-eat when they are sad - but I was originally thinking about other things that might make you want to drink. A celebration, for example.

For me, alcohol is one of those things that I very rarely indulge in. And that's only because it's just not something I am generally in the mood for. Usually if I drink any alcohol, it'll be a glass of wine over dinner or it'll be cocktails at somebody's birthday or something like that.

While I'm no conoisseur of alcohol, I will say that cocktails - especially truly great ones - can be both incredibly beautiful and surprisingly clever. Some of the combinations and designs I've seen have been absolutely amazing.

When I was in New York I was lucky enough to actually watch drinks being made at an awesome little bar - it was like watching a magic show. The speed and precision of the bartender was remarkable.

So for me, as a pretty light drinker, alcohol is usually associated with positive things rather than negative things. Alcohol, like anything, can obviously be very dangerous if it's used as a tool to escape reality.[/font]

[quote name='SunfallE'][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Nothing makes me feel like drinking.

No, really.

[I]Nothing.[/I][/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I wuv you.:catgirl:

I will never consume any alcoholic beverage. I have seen what it can do to people and it disgusts me. The very scent of it lingers in a room and on a person and makes me sick to my stomach. It saddens me that people have to resort to drinking that awful stuff when they are stressed, but if that's their way of coping, then I guess I can understand. But when the alcohol starts hurting those around you, some people should know to knock it off.

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']I understand that people drink when they are sad - the same way that people can over-eat when they are sad - but I was originally thinking about other things that might make you want to drink. A celebration, for example.[/font][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]I appreciate your efforts to rescue this thread.

[quote name='chibi-master']I will never consume any alcoholic beverage. I have seen what it can do to people and it disgusts me.[/quote]
This is like saying you'll never get married because you have seen so many marriages end in divorce.[/FONT]

[quote name='CaNz']however some people do drink for temporary relief[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]I've never understood this, so maybe you can enlighten me [and I'm being completely serious, btw]. Alcohol is a depressant. How exactly is it a relief? I'd be under the impression that'd it make a stressful situation worse.

Otherwise, I'm in the same boat as Beth. Though I've never taken a drink of alcohol in my life [nor do I intend to, really], so my opinion isn't really valid. *shrugs*[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Sangome'][FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]I've never understood this, so maybe you can enlighten me [and I'm being completely serious, btw]. Alcohol is a depressant. How exactly is it a relief? I'd be under the impression that'd it make a stressful situation worse.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The term "depressant" is a bit misleading, actually. In this context, it just means that it dulls your senses and brain activity a bit, as opposed to stimulating them.

Having actually tried alcohol (albeit the cheap stuff they use for communion,) I'm not really too inclined to turn to the bottle, since it's not really to my taste at all. Dulling the senses for a bit doesn't sound like such a bad idea in certain cases, though. Not that I would.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]

This is like saying you'll never get married because you have seen so many marriages end in divorce.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Agreed. :catgirl:

I respect people's choice to drink or not to drink (in fact, I really don't care what other people do as a general rule), but I do think it's important not to immediately link alcohol with alcoholics.

There are many adults in the world who can enjoy alcohol with some degree of restraint and sophistication.

This is why I say that alcohol is like anything else out there - it can be potentially harmful if abused. The key, of course, is to enjoy it in a reasonable way without abusing it. I'm sure the vast majority of people who drink fall into this category.[/font]

This is like saying you'll never get married because you have seen so many marriages end in divorce.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

True, I suppose.

I'm sure there are people that can drink with caution and control, but I haven't seen very many. I have a deep respect for those who can, though.

Another reason I would never drink though is because I am well aware of the alcohol abuse that runs in my family. It may skip a generation, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

[quote name='chibi-master']
I'm sure there are people that can drink with caution and control, but I haven't seen very many. I have a deep respect for those who can, though.

Another reason I would never drink though is because I am well aware of the alcohol abuse that runs in my family. It may skip a generation, but I'm not willing to take that chance.[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]The second paragraph makes a lot of sense - I definitely understand your choice in this regard.

In terms of your first point though, it's just a shame that you apparently haven't been around many responsible adults.

It's very true that your experience with this type of thing can really have an impact on your future choices. :catgirl:[/font]

I drink... I wouldn't say regularly, but enough to not be just an "occasional drinker". I drink ( but don't particularly prefer ) wine, dark liquor and light liquor all the same. My drinking is more of a curiosity type of deal. The past couple years my best friend and I have tried different types of liquor, different ways. Why? Because having a couple drinks while playing a game, or watching a movie, or just hanging out can "chill" everyone down to a level of tension that we can all withstand. Between work and home life, everyone gets a little too stressed for their own good. Everyone has their own ways of coming down.

In fact, I was at the bar last night. To drink? Not really. I went to see my friend's sister's band play. We were there for about three hours. After about two, I bought one beer. Then I bought another 45 minutes later. And that was it.

Now, do we over drink? Sometimes. Are we ever irresponsible? No. Do we ever drive a vehicle after drinking? No. Do we ever drink to an extent where it's dangerous to our health or the physical/emotional well being of others? No.

Drinking is all about choices, if you ask me. My choice is to drink. Not everyday. Not even every four or five days. But I do. Does that make me a bad/lesser person?

[quote name='Nomad']
Drinking is all about choices, if you ask me. My choice is to drink. Not everyday. Not even every four or five days. But I do. Does that make me a bad/lesser person?[/QUOTE]

Your choices seem to be very responsible, so why would anyone say that you're a bad/lesser person for drinking?:confused:

[FONT=Calibri]I have a longstanding grudge against this sort of topic, and it stems mostly from the term used to define it. Essentially, it irritates me to no small degree that the verb "drink" automatically assumes alcoholic content.

I blame Ireland.

What bothers me much more, though, is the added implication that consuming alcohol means being intoxicated; or, "drinking" means you get drunk. There is no such mandate. Nor is alcohol in and of itself something evil or immoral. It is an inanimate beverage, just like tea or soda.

Therefore I request a topic clarification. Is this thread about when you might chance to drink alcohol at all, whether it be socially or with a specific meal or for a nightcap (if anyone still uses them)?

Or is this thread about what makes you want to get wasted?[/FONT]

[font=trebuchet ms] The only times I drink are to be social or when I've had a rough week and want to go crazy on the weekend.

TBH I really really hate the taste of alcohol-- and trust me I've tried every "delicious" drink that "doesn't take like alcohol" (EXCEPT Midori Sours, but I really doubt those are miraculous either). I just don't like alcohol. Even just the smell of beer makes me gag. So I never drink for pleasure, just for the sole purpose to get drunk (aka I pinch my noise and try to get mixed drinks down asap. I can't handle shots.) In some ways I'm glad about this because I have a tendency to become addicted to things.

But it still sort of sucks because I'm studying abroad in Scotland next semester.[/font]

Therefore I request a topic clarification. Is this thread about when you might chance to drink alcohol at all, whether it be socially or with a specific meal or for a nightcap (if anyone still uses them)?

Or is this thread about what makes you want to get wasted?[/FONT][/quote]
If it doesn't bother you, i would like it to be about both.
i doubt anyone else is lame enough to post a topic about alcohol and even though heavy and casual drinking are different, they are related.

I am not much of a social drinker, mostly because at parties i like to watch everyone else have fun.

I do drink a glass of wine after work once and a while, but that happens with or without people, so i don't call it social drinking either.

the only time i drink to the point of intoxication is when i am overly sad or depressed. Its not a great game plan, but when things happen i like to procrastinate a bit, and usually i feel more like dealling with it the next day.

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]I have a longstanding grudge against this sort of topic, and it stems mostly from the term used to define it. Essentially, it irritates me to no small degree that the verb "drink" automatically assumes alcoholic content.

I blame Ireland.

What bothers me much more, though, is the added implication that consuming alcohol means being intoxicated; or, "drinking" means you get drunk. There is no such mandate. Nor is alcohol in and of itself something evil or immoral. It is an inanimate beverage, just like tea or soda.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

I am sorry to say that I am one of the people that make that kind of assumption. It bothers me that I do, but that is my mental image when those phrases pop up.:(

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][quote name='CaNz;851782]okay... i am actually quite happy that you can cope with stress better than the majority of the world, however some people do drink for temporary relief, so i consider you different, not better.[/QUOTE]Did I say I was better than you or others who drink? No.[quote name='CaNz'']likewise i consider myself and everyone else who has done this different, not worse and should not be looked down upon.[/quote]Did I say I look down on you or anyone else who does? No.

You asked a question, I answered it truthfully. I said that there was nothing that made me want to drink. And I was serious. It has nothing to do with you, it has to do with the painful memory of losing an older brother to a drunk driver.

When I am upset or having a bad day, drinking isn't what comes to mind when I look for a way to cope with stress. That's all there is to it. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I've only ever drunk to forget something once and while it worked, the accompanying sloppiness was not worth it. These days I drink a little bit, then settle back to enjoy the party and watch the people around me.

Or I do the standard fallback of behavior that helps me relax and bring out the fingernails to flay the skin off the back of whichever friend seems to be most eager to feel pain. If I can inflict some pain on someone during the day, I sleep better at night.

Do I occasionally have a drink just to have it? Yes. But do I choose to liquidate my sorrows when there are other options? Not usually. I like to have my feelings sharp and fresh in front of me.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]I can't watch an episode of 24 without a bottle of wine. No, really, that show is unbearable sober. There are also certain parts of this site I only dare visit when tipsy, but that's neither here nor there.

I drink casually and on a fairly regular basis, but much less than I used to when I was a bartender. There's nothing that helps loosen one up at a social gathering than a nice cocktail, or a beer. It's especially nice now because I live within walking distance of my favorite bars, so I can grab a drink with friends without having to make a night of it (or worrying about driving home.)

Oh, and [b]Allamorph[/b].

-Shy[/size]