41 members have voted

1. 1. Which skin are you using ?

• XL Basic
    • Wet Paint

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color="#000080"][size="1"][font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Right now I'm using the Wet Paint and hopefully waiting for a new Geisha theme to come out! :D[/font][/size][/color] Edited by Korey

I like wet paint better. Basic is too harsh
[quote name='Shy' date='02 June 2010 - 03:33 AM' timestamp='1275449605' post='694210']
[size="1"]I'm using Wet Paint, but both of the skins have too much white space for me. I'm sure as time goes on the new skins will make better use of this space, though.

-Shy[/size]
[/quote]

agreed. Something darker would be good.

While I almost like Basic the most, just because it has more black, I'm using Wet Paint.

It definitely has a friendly, more lively feel to it, which is nice.

Although, like others have said.. having a dark theme to pick from would also be cool.
-loves dark themes- Edited by Shinichi Kudou

I'm using Wet Paint, because I find XL Basic too, er... Well, basic. I'm not into themes that scream of 'I'm the default theme you get with your forum software.'

[quote name='SunfallE' date='03 June 2010 - 01:56 AM' timestamp='1275526606' post='694330']
[color="#4169E1"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Well I'm not a fan of orange so I'm using basic. I'd like the other better if it was say blue or indigo. lol[/font][/color]
[/quote]

This x1000. Blue would be very nice.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Haha, yes, XL Basic is quite a bit different than the default skin. It also cost more.

I'm glad we didn't keep the default skin around. That would indicate a total lack of effort in my opinion.
[/font]

[quote name='Desbreko' date='04 June 2010 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1275657288' post='694538']
[color=#4B0082]Except that XL Basic isn't a default skin. [url=http://community.invisionpower.com/]This is the default IPB skin.[/url] :P[/color]
[/quote]

See, I knew this was going to be the reply I got, which is why I chose my words carefully in the first place to clearly state I was saying it 'LOOKED' like a default skin and that I was not saying it WAS a default skin.

I guess it wasn't careful enough to avoid predicability. :P Edited by Axel Alloy

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I don't think it looks anything like a default skin, which I'm glad for. Although the main reason it was chosen initially was because there were a few people who had always been asking for a much simpler skin on the previous version of OB. So I hope it's satisfying that need in some way.

I think building the custom stuff next will be quite a bit tougher, in any case.
[/font]

[quote name='James' date='04 June 2010 - 03:12 PM' timestamp='1275660753' post='694543']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]I think building the custom stuff next will be quite a bit tougher, in any case.
[/font]
[/quote]

Now, that I'm looking forward to seeing.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]And I can't wait until we're ready to begin implementing it. I think we can really push this software a lot further - the skins we have now are great (and I think a lot nicer than the default) - but they're kind of a stepping stone to the "final" OtakuBoards XL. I know I've mentioned this before, but we were very constrained by time with this upgrade. That we pulled it off relatively smoothly is kind of cool, I have to say, haha. It was only possible with a good team though (and I'm lucky to have one of those).

Since this is the skins/layout thread, I might as well also mention that I've been working on a little project with a friend of mine and it's now almost complete: an entirely new, OB-exclusive set of custom emoticons. That's something I've wanted to have for years and it's very, very close now. :D

[/font]

[quote name='James' date='04 June 2010 - 03:29 PM' timestamp='1275661744' post='694545']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]And I can't wait until we're ready to begin implementing it. I think we can really push this software a lot further - the skins we have now are great (and I think a lot nicer than the default) - but they're kind of a stepping stone to the "final" OtakuBoards XL. I know I've mentioned this before, but we were very constrained by time with this upgrade. That we pulled it off relatively smoothly is kind of cool, I have to say, haha. It was only possible with a good team though (and I'm lucky to have one of those).[/font][/quote]

I have to admit, I'm very impressed with the upgrade as a whole. I know someone who has spent the last 2 years upgrading his forum. :P *Tsk*

[quote name='James' date='04 June 2010 - 03:29 PM' timestamp='1275661744' post='694545']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]Since this is the skins/layout thread, I might as well also mention that I've been working on a little project with a friend of mine and it's now almost complete: an entirely new, OB-exclusive set of custom emoticons. That's something I've wanted to have for years and it's very, very close now. :D
[/font]
[/quote]

Now that will be a nice touch! It's things like that that give places their own identity. (I've been working on creating my own over on mine and it makes all the difference.) I'll look forward to future updates then. It's nice to see a bit of enthusiasm going on. Heh. Contagious stuff...

[color="#4B0082"][font="Arial"]And I miss the OB blue. Indigo was nice but slightly too dark for me. Either way I'm sure it will be fun to see the new colors once they have time to get around to it.

Oh and James. Don't forget to have a catgirl emote in there somewhere. lol[/font][/color]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I'm sure we will end up with all of these options (I'm hoping to do a "re-make" of Indigo and Blue), but of course, it'll take time. I appreciate everyone's patience.

And yeah, Indi, I [i]do [/i]need a cat girl emoticon on there...maybe I'll have to get that one specially made. ;)
[/font]

[size="2"][font="Arial Narrow"][size="2"]Gotta say, I'm groovin' to the new layouts. Wet Paint actually reminds me of one of the [url="http://web.archive.org/web/20030607005801/http://www.otakuboards.com/"]older versions[/url] of OB, it's the same sort of colours. Very cool, guys. Very cool.[/size][/font][/size] Edited by Lady Asphyxia

[quote name='Lady Asphyxia' date='10 June 2010 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1276164568' post='695009']
[size="2"][font="Arial Narrow"][size="2"]Gotta say, I'm groovin' to the new layouts. Wet Paint actually reminds me of one of the [url="http://web.archive.org/web/20030607005801/http://www.otakuboards.com/"]older versions[/url] of OB, it's the same sort of colours. Very cool, guys. Very cool.[/size][/font][/size]
[/quote]Sprite Central ;_;

• 3 weeks later...
[font="Palatino Linotype"]I've been doing a little CSS-fiddling today and you may notice some minor changes.

The width of the site has been tightened up just a little bit. It'll still stretch with your browser window, but I've slightly reduced the padding so that the edges of the site don't sit so close to the browser window now. I think it makes the site look just a little tidier.

I have also changed the colouring on XL Basic from red to blue. Since XL Basic is...well, basic...a simple change to the font colour can make quite a big difference to how the page looks. I actually think the blue looks a little bit more relaxing and pleasant on such a simple skin design.

I hope you guys like these changes, even though they are very minor.[/font]