OtakuBoards

New Avatar Library

Katie!

New Avatar Library  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What shape should our new avatars be?

• Rectangular (landscape)
    • Square

[quote name='Desbreko' date='05 June 2010 - 05:28 PM' timestamp='1275784132' post='694687']
[color=#4B0082]We should totally go back to 50x50 avatars. :P[/color]
[/quote]
I'm game for that. Can you go by JCGoudy(?) again?

-Shy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rectangular avatars really suited V7, when we had the user info on top of the postbit, they were also quite original, compared with other sites offerings. I don't think I know of any other board that had such uniform, tidy and uniquely shaped avatars.

Having said that, I voted for square avatars, I think they suit this layout better, they're easier on my eye. :P Edited by Sabre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
[font=palatino linotype]Sorry Citric. I understand that it's frustrating. We've just come across a problem with our Report Center (mod tool) that we really should try to fix before attending to anything else. We are still learning how to manipulate this software ourselves, so it does take some time and we have to try to sort things in order of priority.

But believe me, we haven't forgotten and we will get there. :)[/font]

• 1 month later...
[quote name='ï½?ï½?ï½?ï½?ï½?ï½?' date='23 October 2010 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1287838137' post='701257']
So is this still dead in the water?
[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]For the time being, yes. I have asked both Des and Petie to look at this a couple of times, but we can't get it to work. The site clearly shows that multiple galleries can be used, but there doesn't seem to be any location in the back end to actually generate multiple galleries. I think this is a pretty significant problem, but at this point I'm not sure what we can do about it.

The only other thing I can think of is to double-check the IPBoard resources center to see if they have any recommendations that we've missed. We will take a look at that.[/font]

• 10 months later...
[quote name='James' timestamp='1287961882' post='701282']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]For the time being, yes. I have asked both Des and Petie to look at this a couple of times, but we can't get it to work. The site clearly shows that multiple galleries can be used, but there doesn't seem to be any location in the back end to actually generate multiple galleries. I think this is a pretty significant problem, but at this point I'm not sure what we can do about it.

The only other thing I can think of is to double-check the IPBoard resources center to see if they have any recommendations that we've missed. We will take a look at that.[/font]
[/quote]
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Perhaps I've misread the thread but it seems to me the only remaining issue here is not having a gallery for both sized avatars. If that's the case, why don't we just create a temporary gallery thread in the Art Studio similar to the avatar submission thread? You could have the regular gallery available built-in (the way it is now), and you could [i]somehow[/i] link new members to the avatar thread where there would be many more avatars of all sizes for them to choose from (perhaps a link in the welcome e-mail, or just make it a sticky/news post).

Then Citric gets her 150x150 avatars, and Petie and Des are free to work at the gallery thing stress-free for as long as they need. ^_^[/font][/color]

[quote name='White' timestamp='1316118381' post='709456']
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Perhaps I've misread the thread but it seems to me the only remaining issue here is not having a gallery for both sized avatars. If that's the case, why don't we just create a temporary gallery thread in the Art Studio similar to the avatar submission thread? You could have the regular gallery available built-in (the way it is now), and you could [i]somehow[/i] link new members to the avatar thread where there would be many more avatars of all sizes for them to choose from (perhaps a link in the welcome e-mail, or just make it a sticky/news post).

Then Citric gets her 150x150 avatars, and Petie and Des are free to work at the gallery thing stress-free for as long as they need. ^_^[/font][/color]
[/quote]That sounds good, actually.

[color="#0000ff"]If I remember correctly (admittedly, I'm too lazy to go back and read right now), that was a debate when we thought a custom gallery was possible. To the best of my memory, there is currently no way to actually create that custom gallery though and multiple software updates haven't changed that fact. I'll go have another look but I'm pretty sure that was the real issue.[/color]

[quote name='Petie' timestamp='1316132772' post='709460']
[color="#0000ff"]If I remember correctly (admittedly, I'm too lazy to go back and read right now), that was a debate when we thought a custom gallery was possible. To the best of my memory, there is currently no way to actually create that custom gallery though and multiple software updates haven't changed that fact. I'll go have another look but I'm pretty sure that was the real issue.[/color]
[/quote][color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]
Well, what I mean is we could just create the "custom gallery" in the form of a stickied thread (Art Studio) and link new members to that instead of stressing over having the entire thing built-in to the profile options (which - as you said - doesn't seem to be possible right now). This is assuming it[i] is [/i]possible to extend the dimensions of the current avatar restraints (which I don't think anyone has said can't be done).

[b]EDIT:[/b] I honestly didn't mean to resurrect this thread, I saw it on the front page and thought it was fairly recent. Now I'm noticing the last post before mine was a year ago, hehe. Oops. >_<[/font][/color] Edited by White

[color="#0000ff"]Haha, no worries. It's still a valid topic after all. Changing avatar restrictions is definitely possible though James has the final word there. The point of the gallery was supposed to be to make it integrated though - users wouldn't have to type in a URL or upload a file if they wanted to use a gallery avatar that was already uploaded to the site. However, assuming you get the go ahead from James, I see no problem with using a thread for this purpose instead.[/color]