OtakuBoards

U.S. & Japan Bring Down the Banhammer on Pirates

Kei

[quote name='Gavin' date='28 July 2010 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1280332083' post='698106']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Again I point out that not all manga fans outside of Japan are American, buying a single volume of any popular shounen manga, not to mention some of the seinen ones I read are a minimum of £10/�12.50, which is roughly $15 or so dollars. I don't have any objections to supporting the industry financially, but I refuse to be ripped off doing so. [/size][/font][/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that all anime/manga fans are in the U.S. I was just speaking as an American anime fan, since the mass majority of complainers I've seen are [I assume] American and are absolutely stubborn when it comes to this sort of thing [i.e. claiming to love the industry but not raising a finger to support it financially]. I'm also not saying that people that don't buy them don't have their reasons [what you described being what I had in mind], but I'm just a bit jaded/jetlagged from the people that have the means, but they're just THAT cheap.[/font][/color]

[quote][font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Personally rather than issuing a cease and desist order to OneManga I truly wish one company had had the sense to attempt to go into legal partnership to supply the manga to an obviously very popular site with fans.[/font][/size][/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]While I understand your point, I just need to point out that OneManga was [i]not[/i] issued a C&D -- they did this of their own accord. Granted, it was because of the looming threat of legal action, but still. But that's just me being nitpicky.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Inuyasha Fandom' date='28 July 2010 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1280331927' post='698105']
I beleive it's a good thing. Honestly, if it IS popular in Japan, odds are, if they dub it into english with GOOD voice actors, then it will probably do well over here too. And even if it doesn't, they'll make enough money off of it to cover the expense of doing so.
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Well, I wish them luck in dubbing pages of a manga. :wacko: [/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[quote name='Sangome' date='28 July 2010 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1280346734' post='698126']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that all anime/manga fans are in the U.S. I was just speaking as an American anime fan, since the mass majority of complainers I've seen are [I assume] American and are absolutely stubborn when it comes to this sort of thing [i.e. claiming to love the industry but not raising a finger to support it financially]. I'm also not saying that people that don't buy them don't have their reasons [what you described being what I had in mind], but I'm just a bit jaded/jetlagged from the people that have the means, but they're just THAT cheap.[/font][/color][/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Oh I absolutely understand that a lot of people who can financially afford manga (or even just have it available to them to buy) are too stingy to actually pay for it, as a fairly savvy consumer I just hate being taken for a ride by manga importers (and a lot of other entertainment retailers) over here who think they can rip people off, although there's a reason why Ireland is derisively referred to as the Rip-Off Republic by consumers here.

Basically if I had the option to pay â?¬6.99 a month to read my legally translated copy of WSJ every week I'd happily shell out for it.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Sangome' date='28 July 2010 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1280346734' post='698126'][color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]While I understand your point, I just need to point out that OneManga was [i]not[/i] issued a C&D -- they did this of their own accord. Granted, it was because of the looming threat of legal action, but still. But that's just me being nitpicky.[/font][/color][/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I'd swore in the original link Kei provided it said something about them being issued a C&D, oh well.[/size][/font] Edited by Gavin

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"] You're both talking about the same thing, since the link said the site was threatened with legal action if they didn't stop their service, which is the same thing as being hit with a C&D.

[center][img]http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/4439/themoreyouknow2.jpg[/img][/center]
[/color][/font]

Man, I'm kinda bummed about this new attitude from the manga bigwigs. I won't lie and say I haven't been using OneManga for the past month or so reading the new Bleach chapters. I mean, it was the first place I saw and I started using it. Honestly, like everyone else is saying, I will probably find somewhere else to read the latest chapters. I mean if they sold the latest chapters in a store near me, then I would consider buying them but since they dont I have no choice but to use such sites as OneManga. I'm most likely gonna still use OneManga until it just completely kicks me off. How else will I see Aizen get his grill messed up by Ichigo?