OtakuBoards

Favorite Underrated anime

xaos

You know since I've decided to actually stick around here on OB, I figured I start some sort of a thread going. So I thought, "how about we talk about our favorite anime that may not have gotten a lot of exposure, that not many other people have would know about?"

I guess I'll get the ball rolling my favorite anime that I don't believe many know about or gave a chance is Fantastic Children, beautiful series. I did try to get more exposure for it on theO with a contest but with no success. Oh well, at least I helped it get it's own category on theO. Edited by Sangome

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underrated anime can either be anime not liscenced or not very good. It is sad that some good anime get snuffed out by whatever is popular at the time. (Sailor Moon/DBZ or Death Note/Naruto)

Just keep loving the anime you love and hopefully you will get to spread it's popularity.

[quote name='Jax Rhapsody']I don't know if Outlaw Star is underrated or not, but it was too short.[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it, Outlaw Star was too short. Gosh, I miss that one. Also some anime that I felt were underrated was Banner/Crest Of The Stars and Gad Guard, gosh I loved them and I really dug the theme song for Gad Guard.:animesmil

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"][FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="Green"]I love the series Haibane Renmei to pieces. Unfortunately, almost nobody I talk to has ever heard of it. It had pretty artwork, and the story was subtle and well-done.

And I agree, Outlaw Star was too short. (*has the box set*)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"]Gosh, I have a very long list of underrated anime.

Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu(all three seasons)
Damekko Doubutsu
The Good Witch of the West
Jyu Oh Sei
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Monster
Natsume Yuujinchou
Kigeki
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
Juuni Kokuki
Kage kara Mamoru!
Otogizoushi

The list goes on, but I won't put in anymore. =P[/FONT][/SIZE]

Gungrave was really good, but it got almost no publicity in the USA at least... i think a lot of people thought it was just a knock off of the game, but it had a pretty deep story of its own. it was touching, but in a brutal way. a story about friendship, and killing friends.

oh... and outlaw star was too short (heh)

[quote name='Sir Drift-a-lot][SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"]Monster[/FONT'][/SIZE][/quote]I could definitely agree with picking Monster. It's not often that I care for psychological thrillers, but when they're as well done as this is, then you find yourself wondering why some of the more 'dramariffic' series (which are poorly done) get more attention.

[quote name='CaNz']Gungrave was really good, but it got almost no publicity in the USA at least... i think a lot of people thought it was just a knock off of the game, but it had a pretty deep story of its own. it was touching, but in a brutal way. a story about friendship, and killing friends.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I found Gungrave to be one of the best series when it came to characterization.

Speaking of which, [b]Hajime no Ippo[/b] (Fighting Spirit) is a current anime that seems to be under the radar, yet I feel that it's better than the current big 3 shonen series. I'm not into the sports genre when it comes to anime, but when the story is told as good as it is here can't help but to be drawn in. (Although story is not what I look for.) What really struck at me was the characterization that's in this series. There are a lot of great characters in this series and they interact with each other really nicely. There are no villains, but there are some that'll give you that impression.

The fighting is also handled nicely, although it can get a little over the top at times (but I have no issues with that.) Definately quite the underrated series considering all the other shonen series that seems to get people to overlook this one.

[SIZE="1"][B]Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro[/B]! It's a really fun series but only a couple people I know have heard of it. ):

[B]Akagi [/B]is is fun too~ kind of took me a while to get used to the style, but after I liked it :3

[B]I'll CKBC[/B] was an OAV based on the manga. It was entertaining but really short.

[B]Yakumo Tatsu[/B] seemed like it could be really interesting and I've watched it a lot. But since it is also an OAV it's kind of confusing... it's really hard to fit 8 volumes of manga into a 2 episode anime :x

Actually I don't watch enough anime to have much of a list but there are a ton of underrated manga that I love... ;;

-Akuma no Ororon
-Diabolo
-ETERNITY[/size]

Is [b]Monster[/b] really underrated at all? I mean, it is not [b]FMA[/b]/[b]Naruto[/b]/[b]DBZ[/b] levels of popular, true, but it has a fairly sized audience on the 'net, and the people who love it [i]really[/i] love it. (It is the 14th ranked anime at MyAnimeList and with ANN's various weird ranking measures, it is ranked anywhere from 64th to 13th there.) Plus, it will be airing on SyFy soon. It has a pretty good fanbase, I'd say lol.

(That said, I love the series, and everyone ever should see it.)

This is a tough question for me. Most series I watch are ranked pretty fairly, I think. Maybe enough people don't watch [b]Kemono no Souja Erin[/b]? That is a really good series, and it is gorgeous. [b]Golgo 13[/b] is pretty awesome, too. I believe it has a decent contingent of fans, just because the manga has been around [i]forever[/i], but there are also a good number of people who are put off by the visual style. [b]Kaiji[/b] had the same problem, too, as I recall.

[QUOTE=Shinmaru]Is [b]Monster[/b] really underrated at all? I mean, it is not [b]FMA[/b]/[b]Naruto[/b]/[b]DBZ[/b] levels of popular, true, but it has a fairly sized audience on the 'net, and the people who love it [i]really[/i] love it. (It is the 14th ranked anime at MyAnimeList and with ANN's various weird ranking measures, it is ranked anywhere from 64th to 13th there.) Plus, it will be airing on SyFy soon. It has a pretty good fanbase, I'd say lol.

(That said, I love the series, and everyone ever should see it.)[/QUOTE]Probably not, other than in the sense that it doesn't have quite as huge of a fan base as a few others do. But with it being aired soon, that's likely to change.

Hmmm, perhaps we should have a Monster forum to go along with it finally being aired on SyFy. {I still think that name change looks dumb. lol}

[color=#4B0082][b]Hidamari Sketch[/b] is one of the best yet most underrated anime I've seen. It's similar to Lucky Star in that a lot of it revolves around weird conversations between four high school girls, but it's also got a lot more relaxing atmosphere. It's funny yet also gives off a warm, fuzzy feeling at times.[/color]

I never hear anyone talk about [b]Bokurano[/b], and none of my friends (all of whom watch anime), seem to know a thing about it.

It began broadcast in Japan in 2007 I believe, and focuses on fifteen or so rapscallions on a school trip. To summarize, they are tricked into a contract which forces them to pilot a giant machine (which they label "Z-Earth"), to combat gigantic robots from another world (Evangelion). [spoiler]After the first battle, kid #1 abruptly drops dead as they are celebrating their victory, and they discover that after each battle; the pilot chosen for said battle will die. Win or lose. And if they refuse to pilot, it's game over for everyone.[/spoiler]

It's not amazing, but Bokurano does a very good job of delving into the lives of these kids, and how they try to deal with their increasingly bleak situation. It's a grim series, and I personally enjoyed watching it a fair amount.

-

Another series I don't hear much about is [b]Neo Ranga[/b]. Another sorta-mech anime. Sorta, because it's more of an ancient monster than a machine. This show follows the three Shimabara sisters, who live together, with the eldest being the breadwinner. Everything's all peaceful until a young boy, from a South Pacific island called Barou visits them, and informs them that their long lost older brother (who vanished years before), has passed away.

They are understandably shocked when they hear their brother married into the royal family of Barou, before he passed; and more when they find out that they are the new rulers of the island and have inherited a gigantic god. This show revolves around the conflict between the Shimabara sisters and the Japanese government, as tensions rise in Japan as citizens understandably fear the appearance of an 18 meter tall monster of unknown origins.

It also focuses on their attempts to cope with their new kingship, the fact that the government is out to get them and their pet mech-monster, and how best to go about trying to fix their suddenly crumbling lives.

I bought this a about year ago when it was released on DVD, here in the US, without knowing a single thing about. But I gotta say I really like this anime, and am glad to own it.

[quote name='Kaze']I never hear anyone talk about [b]Bokurano[/b], and none of my friends (all of whom watch anime), seem to know a thing about it.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]I haven't actually watched Bokurano, but its OP theme, Uninstall by Ishikawa Chiaki, is one of the best OP's I've ever heard. It got me into her music and now she's one of my favorite Japanese singers.

Every now and then I feel like I should actually get around to watching the anime, but there's always other stuff ahead of it in line. :animeswea[/color]

Oh yeah, I really like Uninstall, she also does the ending theme Vermillion; she has a good voice. The tone of her songs definitely fit the anime in a fashion. Also, I can totally understand not being in any sort of hurry to watch something like this, Bokurano was on my list of anime for a while before I got around to it.

It just doesn't have that look about it that grabs your attention enough to wanna check it out I think, but once you sit down and watch a couple of episodes (or just the first) you'll almost definitely get sucked into the story.

[B]Umineko No Naku Koru Ni[/B] for me.

It starts out OK, but in my opinion just keeps getting better after the first few episodes are out of the way, though it's still going so I'm not sure how the ending will be.

It might be more popular than I realize though, since it was a video game originally.

[quote name='pax et agape']Well since almost all of my anime comes from Netflix I doubt any of it is unlicensed but two of my old favorites come to mind: [B]Pani Poni Dash[/B] and [B]Genshiken[/B].

Of course for all I know they could be wildly popular and I'd be oblivious to it.[/quote]

Oh, and let me add Midori Days and Kamichu to the list.

Too many of these are far too mainstream to be in this thread

Two entries from me here.

First, my name sake. Infinite Ryvius. One of the all-time best animes in my opinion, but not very well-known among the masses. Sort of a Lord of The Flies situation, but in space. It got amazing story and character development, but maybe not enough action and fanfare for most of you guys. Serious anime for the most part.

Second, Scrapped Princess. Ties with Ryvius for my favorite anime. It's based off light novels, which are amazing. The series isn't nearly as good as the novels, but it's still good enough to be a damn amazing anime. You guys will probably dig this more than Ryvius, as it has it's share of action and sweet fight scenes.