OtakuBoards

Tangled

The Spectacular Professor

[center][img]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8166/tangled0.jpg[/img][/center]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Disney takes on Rapunzel. Discuss.

Very reminiscent of classic 50's era Disney movies, such as [i]Cinderella[/i], but with a definite touch of 90's high adventure Disney a la [i]Aladdin[/i]. Great soundtrack, as can be expected of Alan Menkin. It's not his best, but it fits the feel of the movie really well and it gets stuck in your head just as easily as anything else he's produced. Flynn is an absolute hoot, and I really love what they've done with Rapunzel herself. Rather than doing the traditional thing Disney does and make her look refined, adult and traditionally beautiful, they opted to just make her over-the-top adorable. She's somewhat short, has a rounded face and huge eyes, extremely energetic, slightly unsure of herself and tends to trip over her own hair a lot, which is probably not difficult when there's 70 feet of it trailing all over the place. Despite all this, she manages to handle herself well enough in a fight and uses her hair to pretty good effect as a makeshift rope.

But I ramble. Don't wanna spoil it for anyone, so I'll just cut off here and let you all talk among yourselves. Overall, I loved it and hope it's current success can get Disney back in the studio and possibly set them into the mood for another official Disney Era.

But then again, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzunMrHka8c"]What can I say for myself[/url]?[/font] Edited by The Professor

I would be going by myself if i were to see it, and that's just depressing.
plus i will prolly infect anyone next to me with the plague if i go out.... bad timing cause i was kinda excited for it..

there is always DVDs though! plus in the privacy of my house no one can make fun of me.

My friend and I want to see this movie so bad, but neither of us want to spend the money to drive 30 miles and buy $8 tickets to see it. ._. We'll just have to see it on DVD. I cannot wait. =D
But I think Disney should make a Kingdom Hearts movie... >> Just sayin'.

This is Disney's lastest attempt at a "princess movie" Here is the skinny. Disney is moving away from their classic princess movies for 2 reasons. 1 they don't appeal to boys and 2 little girls don't want to be princesses anymore. They rather be cool or hot.

They completely redid this movie from what I heard to make more "boy friendly" adding more action. I'll grant that it made a killing at the box office (so they must be doing something right) but Disney found out when they made The Frog Princess that kids today don't really want to see that kind of movie. This is an odd sort of addeptation and is coming back toward Shreik with it's action and humor.

The movie doesn't look terrible but I'm not going out ot see it. I'm spending my holiday $$$ to see Voyage to the Dawn Treader and Tron Legacy....

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Right, time to clarify some points.

This movie has been in development for a [i]very[/i] long time. It has been completely revamped several times, and each version was screened for test audiences. Yes, the final product is probably more action-oriented than the original concept, but it's also very reminiscent of the Silver Age of Disney. Just think of it as Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty, but with a bit of Aladdin thrown in to round out the target demographic.

As for it being a Shrek-type parody of the genre, it's not. At all. This film plays the fairy tale aspect about as straight as it gets. Sure, there's humor, but none of it actually derives from self-awareness or poking fun at fairy tale cliches. As far as the film is concerned, nothing about its setting is out of the ordinary in any way (except perhaps the swordfighting horse bit, but that's minor and forgivable). Most of the humor derives from some combination of Rapunzel's naivete and Flynn's world-weary snarking. It's not all humor, either. There's plenty of drama and romance to be found as well, just like any other Disney princess movie. The advertising plays up the humor a lot, of course, but let's be honest, when was the last time a trailer for a Disney movie actually represented what it was trying to sell? That's what screwed [i]Treasure Planet[/i] over, why should it be any different here?

Is [i]Tangled[/i] perfect? No, but it's another step in the right direction along with [i]The Princess and the Frog[/i], and since this one is actually making a very impressive showing at the box office, we can at least hope that the return it's making will signal Disney to produce more of this kind of thing.[/font]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='The Professor' timestamp='1291413654' post='702355']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]This movie has been in development for a [i]very[/i] long time. It has been completely revamped several times, and each version was screened for test audiences. Yes, the final product is probably more action-oriented than the original concept, but it's also very reminiscent of the Silver Age of Disney. Just think of it as Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty, but with a bit of Aladdin thrown in to round out the target demographic.[/quote]

[font="Book Antiqua"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"]Although it does have the "Disney Classic" feel to it, I feel its truly a shame that [i]The Princess and the Frog[/i] became the last of the "hand-drawn" era. Especially since [i]The Princess and the Frog[/i] had a relatively obvious Neo-Disney component. I do agree that [i]Tangled[/i] was very reminiscent of the Disney of Olde, but I'm thoroughly disappointed that it was not chosen to bring to close one of the arguably greatest chapters in animation history. It had it all: the unlikely romance, the Disney-evil villain -often portrayed as a monarch-, amazing music, even the token animal counterpart for the protagonist.... But I digress.

You're right Ace, Disney is taking the proper steps to a sound generation of movies. But I wonder if it can hold. Disney has had a firm monopoly on making extremely old fairy-tales child friendly and entertaining for audiences of all ages and genders (my movie-going party consisted of three other late-teen gentlemen all of whom admitted to being near tears during the film). My only question is: what fairy-tales are left for Disney to recreate? Or will they simply start making them up from here?[/color][/size][/font][/font]

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF I still want to see this movie so bad! But I can't. >(

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1293055357' post='703141']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]You do that; I'll be over here representin' the Flynn Rider fangirls, falling for his smolder. >_>[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[img]http://amelanniza.blog.com/files/2010/11/smolder.jpg[/img]
:suave:

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Why thank you for the new image to add to my collection, Lyndy! You're so helpful!

Anyway uh, more on topic. I'm really pleased with how well this movie is doing; it [i]really[/i] deserves it, IMO. People complained about the retooling and all that jazz, but it worked out. It saved it from winding up like Princess and the Frog did last year, and considering it was pitted against the likes of Narnia, Harry Potter, and Megamind, that's saying quite a bit.

I even think I liked this movie more than I liked PATF...which is saying a lot, since I love that movie to bits.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Soji47' timestamp='1292990234' post='703109']
[font="Book Antiqua"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"]I feel its truly a shame that [i]The Princess and the Frog[/i] became the last of the "hand-drawn" era.[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Actually, the theatrical [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1449283/]Winnie the Pooh movie[/url] due out next year is going to be traditionally animated/hand drawn/what have you. I seem to recall hearing something how every other year is going to produce a traditionally animated movie, but I never got a source on that, so.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

Yeah, but even though animated films like "Pooh" are due to be released, Disney has announced that [i]Tangled[/i] will be the last of their fairy tale films for a long while. It's sad to think that we will never see an animated version of other Grimm stories, but hey... at least we've got Rapunzel. *perverted growl*

Being Disney's last "princess" movie, they put a lot of effort into it and i can bet most people, yes even myself, shed a tear or two during this movie. It had classic Disney written all over it but with a great twist. What a great movie this was. Really though, what other princess movies can be out there? My significant other loves Disney princesses, and i don't think she could name another one, but I should probably ask her again, so what other ones are there to make?

Well, considering that some of the Disney "princesses" weren't all actual princesses (such as Belle or Pocahontas), they can play with that term a lot. More or less when they said they wouldn't do any more princess films for a long time, they were referring to fairy tale stories all together. Even so, if they're stretching the term [i]princess[/i] this much, then there are plenty more stories where this could work such as Little Red Riding Hood. Any story that is fairy tale-esque with a strong female protagonist. Edited by Dragon Warrior

[quote name='Dragon Warrior' timestamp='1293246177' post='703253']
Even so, if they're stretching the term [i]princess[/i] this much, then there are plenty more stories where this could work such as Little Red Riding Hood.
[/quote]

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="#0000ff"]Although it seems unlikely that Disney would tackle Little Red considering that the [u]Hoodwinked[/u] duo are still visible in the rear-view mirror of Films Come And Gone. Not only is the red-hooded film concept still relatively recent, but as I recall it wasn't a very successful concept, relative or otherwise. But perhaps that's due to the parody-like tone that [u]Hoodwinked[/u] and its counterpart held.[/color][/font] Edited by Soji47

Oh, for sure. I can imagine of all the stories they could pursue, Red Riding Hood probably is not high on the list, if at all existent. I'm just saying in a wide view of the situation, stories like it are fair game... that is, if they were still doing fairy tales. I'm sad they won't. Disney is known for its films being magical. Does this mean we're doomed to nothing but Hannah Montana episodes on the big screen and cheap sequels that should never have been?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Another problem with adapting Red Riding Hood is the fact that [s]that stupid-ass Twilight ripoff[/s] there's a supernatural romance film coming out soon under that name. Between the product confusion and the mental scarring, I doubt Disney would want to risk it this soon.

The core problem with Red Riding Hood, though, is that at the core of the beast it's a very short story with very little room for embellishment. It's very hard to expand the story without either parodying it or making it something else entirely, and the only reason [b]Hoodwinked[/b] really worked at the length it was is because it basically just retold the story about four times from different perspectives. Don't get me wrong, that was a fun storytelling technique and I loved it, it's just that it wouldn't feel like a Disney film if they decided not to keep the focus mainly on Red.

Admittedly, if there is any one company who can pull off a decent expansion and turn Red Riding Hood into a decent, feature-length, non-parody children's film, it's probably Disney. There wasn't much to the original story of Cinderella, either.[/font]

Disney also has a knack for not sticking to the true story. I mean, in [i]Cinderella[/i] the Stepsisters chop off parts of their feet to fit in the shoe and get their eyes pecked out. As such, you'd probably leave out the inappropriate stuff of Red Riding Hood, haha. Still, Disney could drift far from the plot points and still keep the same story. They did with [i]Tangled[/i]. If any of you know the real story of Rapunzel, you'll realize this film was barely accurate. However, it still kept the basic idea of Rapunzel and I think that's all Disney really requires.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="#0000ff"]Disney has done quite well with "princess" concept and, like most successful groups, probably won't the the concept rest until its beaten, broken, bruised, and more "B" words that I don't even know. My point being, I would not be surprised to see more princess-type movies being released by Disney. My bet is on The Peasant's Wise Daughter as the next release in this particular Disney sub-genre.[/color][/font]

Oh, I doubt they'll give it up for good. They just said they're taking a break for a long while. Whether this'll actually happen or not, we'll find out. In the meantime, we'll have to cling to the successes of films by Pixar and possible other random animation that run along the lines of [i]The Emperor's New Groove.[/i]

[quote name='Soji47' timestamp='1292990234' post='703109']
[font="Book Antiqua"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"]My only question is: what fairy-tales are left for Disney to recreate? Or will they simply start making them up from here?[/color][/size][/font][/font]
[/quote]

Answer: a lot. There are a heck of a lot more fairy tales out there -- both classic fairy tales (of the Grimm Brothers and Hans Christian Anderson variety), and more modern fairy tales. Not to mention all the lore and mythology of non-European cultures, which Disney has largely left unexplored. (Mulan is the only 2D Disney movie that really branched out from the Western European tradition.)

[quote name='Dragon Warrior' timestamp='1293511908' post='703373']
Well, they did The Lion King which was a story from China. So there's another 2D film. But even so, it's true. They don't always have to do fairy tales.
[/quote]

There's also the argument that The Lion King was a Disney adaptation of Hamlet. :O

Haha, I've heard that, but the creators said they didn't have that in mind when they were making it. I think that's people trying hard to make debates, such as comparing Avatar with Dances With Wolves which is compared to Pocahontas. The Lion King isn't that original of a story, so of course it shares elements of Hamlet. Hamlet isn't original either, but it was then because no one did it before Shakespeare. The Lion King was literally ripped from a Chinese story with, I believe, the same name.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="#0000ff"]The sad truth of the matter is that there are almost no original story concepts left anymore. They are either adaptations of something or another, or so close to a similar concept that the two will always be compared. But I find that you're right, Mistress Duck. There is a large amount of concepts left to be explored by Disney and their anthropological story-butchers.
[/color][/font]
[quote name='Dragon Warrior' timestamp='1293514465' post='703376']
The Lion King was literally ripped from a Chinese story with, I believe, the same name.
[/quote][font="Book Antiqua"][color="#0000ff"]

I must admit that I feel a little skeptical that the concept was ripped off of a Chinese story; a sensation I base off of [b][url="http://www.lionking.org/text/FilmNotes.html"]this source[/url][/b]. (see "ORIGINS OF THE PROJECT")[/color][/font] [font="Book Antiqua"][color="#0000ff"]Actually, I'm under the impression that [/color][/font][font="Book Antiqua"][color="#0000ff"][u]The Lion King[/u] was one of (if not THE) first Disney movies that was an original concept.[/color][/font]

I watched a documentary years ago on the Lion King and some of the people working on the film discussed how they took the idea from an old Chinese (or some Asian culture...) story. I remember looking into it more online but only found a little bit of concept art and some other people stating the same thing. It's possible they were inspired by it.