OtakuBoards

The Dragon Warrior Challenge

Dragon Warrior

[center][size="5"][b]The Dragon Warrior Challenge[/b][/size][/center]

So, here's the dealio... basically I'm not that big into anime, but the anime I do like I like A LOT. I have a lot of friends who are into anime, and my college campus hoasts a big anime convention every summer, so I get to explore that when it comes around. My friends even try to get me to go to other anime cons in Michigan, but I don't because I really don't fit in. I don't know jack about anime unless it's mainstream in the US like Hayao Miyazaki or Dragonball. [b]My challenge to you[/b], if you choose to accept, is to help me find a dang anime I'd actually like. My friends have tried to toss shows and manga at me, but they never really caught my fancy. I'm pretty picky, I guess, mainly because I can get turned off from too much stereotypical anime-isms, such as...
[list]
[*]Hyper, large-breasted females with untamed personalities... I'm not gay... they just don't need to be doin' that stuff, and not everyone in the dang universe is that well equipped! SHE'S SIXTEEN!
[*]On that note, animes follow kids around too often. It was good to watch Digimon or Pokemon when I was younger, but they actually make fifteen year olds look fifteen. Other animes make thirteen year olds appear eighteen... dang schoolgirls... THEY'RE TOO WELL EQUIPPED!
[*]I'm not busting anime's balls here because I can handle a little of this stuff. But if they're constantly sweat-bubbling, falling on their face from surprise, or turning in a cat at random, I'm going to punch a Goku in the Vegeta, if you know what I mean!
[*]Plot-wise, I don't think I'll be too picky. You can probably capture my interest better with fantasy and stuff, but I don't mind some sci-fi or even realistic junk as long as it's not an unrealistic plot of a boy who has to go to school at an all-girls school because the boys schools won't let him in, so now he's placed in a bunch of illogical sexual scenarios that give us a chance to see thirteen year old girls with double D's. THEY'RE NOT THAT WELL EQUIPPED!
[*]Lastly, and probably most importantly, no shows like One Piece. That kid disgraces pirates everywhere, and being OB's official pirate, I will stab him seventeen times, make him walk the plank, help him back up on my ship, give him food and heal his wounds, befriend him for three years as we go on great adventures making him think I'm buddies with him, then keel-haul his butt all the way to Tortuga and feed him to the big-boobed women that inhabit that deranged pirate town. THEY ARE THAT WELL-EQUIPPED.
[/list]
Having said all of that in an unnecessarily long fashion, I am still pretty open-minded to television and cinema. I mean, I did sit through the first Twilight film after all (joke drumroll). My interest is just hard to capture when it comes to anime because all in all a lot of it is the same from my understanding; I say this in the sense that it's about fighting, a school, fighting in a school, fighting with robots, fighting with robots in a school, fighting with swords, magic powers (used for fighting), fighting monsters and/or some form of fighting fad like trading cards, etc. It's unfair to say all anime is unoriginal and easily guessed, and anime does have its originality points, but I suppose that's why I couldn't get into some of the more popular animes... simply because they were too much of the same dribble. I even tried Evangelion and couldn't get into the first few episodes (I'm sorry, James. Don't ban me!).

Now that I'm done sounding like I'm bashing the whole entire Japanese culture making you all wonder why the hell I've been on an anime-themed forum for over ten years, I will list off some anime that I really like and maybe it'll send you the right signals to help find a decent show or whatever.
[list]
[*][b]Hayao Miyazaki Films[/b] - Now how unoriginal do I sound? I'm an American who doesn't really watch anime and here I am spouting out first thing the most American-advertised anime films every released next to Pokemon The Movie. I figured because they're so widely known by even the high school jocks who don't know what a Charmander is I'd get it out of the way. He's a genius, and we all know it. His stories are compelling, original, the women aren't all blessed by being well-endowed, and it all seems very realistic. It's also very Americanized, not to insult Miyazaki's visions. These films seem very far from anime, in my opinion, to the point of not even seeming like Japanese animation at all. He bases a lot of his plots off of England culture for goodness sake.
[*][b]Lupin The III[/b] - My favorite of these films is, of course, Miyazaki's, but the other ones weren't too bad either. I think I liked the cocky outlaw anti-hero character of Lupin and it was easy to follow. Admittingly, his female counterpart is extremely sexual and "gifted," and more often than not she's more nude than doing the plot any good, I look past her for the other fun characters that inhabit the storylines. Aside from Lupin, his sidekick/second-in-command/whatever is also a humorous and interesting addition to the plots. I'm not much for mysteries, though, so at times these struck out. It takes genius like Miyazaki to really bring out Lupin's pizazz.
[*][b]Yu-Yu Hakusho[/b] - I first saw it when it was played on Adult Swim back when rocks were soft. It's fighting... and I know I ranted about fighting... but goodness, it's the good kind. It's supernatural powers, interesting character battles, tournaments, etc. They keep it pretty interesting. He's fifteen in it or something, right? Once again, nobody looks their age. I let it pass in this. Like I said, I'll make exceptions.
[*][b]Rurouni Kenshin[/b] - It was good at the start. Then sometime after that pirate woman it started to go downhill. I forget. But either way, Kenshin himself and all the other characters as they developed kept it interesting. I can say right now characters are a big part of how I get into animes. Plus, a story about a guy who just kicks EVERYONE'S butt is always a good ride, right?
[/list]
If you bothered to read all of this (or any of it even), good for you, and I hope you have some ideas of what to toss at me. I may sound vicious because I'm picky, but I'll still give what you throw at me a shot. I won't shoot it down 'til I've seen a bit at least. Thanks for your times, folks!

FUN FACT: Also, on an anime forum, I enjoy that spell check recognizes anime as being misspelled. HA!

Try [b]Samurai Champloo [/b]if you have time... its pretty popular so I doubt you will have problems finding a streaming site, so you can use a favorite or use [color="#ff0000"][link removed][/color]
I won't say that it is the best anime in the world, but it is a great blend of action, comedy and most of the time good story.

[color="#9932cc"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Please do not link to illegal streaming or download sites in the future. ~Sangome
[color="#000000"]ohh... uhhh... google it! [font="Book Antiqua"]~[/font]sorry Sangome[font="Book Antiqua"]~[/font][/color]
[/font][/color] Edited by CaNz

[color="#556B2F"][font="Times New Roman"]My all time favorite anime is Fullmetal Alchemist. I don't think I saw you mention the anime, so I am going to suggest it. It might be something you like (according to what you said you like and don't like in an anime). There are two different FMAs. There's the original Fullmetal Alchemist from a few years back that is not based on the manga. And then there is the most recent FMA, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which is based on the manga. They are both good, but personally, I think Brotherhood is better. Brotherhood is still playing on Adult Swim and I think the first three volumes are out on DVD already. But the original FMA is still really good. FMA is an anime that can be serious and funny at the same time. One minute the anime would be really intense or you could be crying and then the next minute you could be laughing. I don't really know what else to say about it. I just like it a lot. :V And well, FMA is being used in my sig and profile picture. =P

FMA is pretty much the only anime I like. I watched a few other animes, but I couldn't finish them since they couldn't meet my standards since FMA was the first anime that I watched. But there is also Soul Eater. It's kind of like FMA and it is the only other anime that I finished watching. But not as good as FMA, in my opinion.

And that is all I have to suggest. =P[/font][/color]

I really enjoyed [I]Serei no Moribito[/I], and based on some of the anime you listed, I'd say you might too. The plot isn't spectacularly original, but it has an undeniable charm to it -- enough to hold your attention through the series. And if you're looking for an anime sans stereotypical female characters, this is it -- I really liked the whole cast of characters, but the female leads are particularly strong.

[I]Planetes[/I] is another goodie. It kind of takes the whole mecha / space exploration genre and spins it in a new way. I didn't think I'd like it when I started watching it, but it definitely exceeded my expectations.

And, finally, I have to throw [I]Scrapped Princess[/I] in there, because it's one of my favorites. Nice animation, nice characters, an interesting mix of genres. All in all a good watch.

Thank you all for your suggestions. So far I've managed to watch the first episode of Samurai Champloo and the first episode of Full Metal Alchemist.

With Samurai Champloo, I thought the plot was decent after reading its synopsis and I could see potential for it. There were a few things that I didn't like when I watched the first episode, though; I'm not much for their drawing style... I've seen that style before and never really cared for it, but it's not enough to turn me off of it. What's mainly unappealing is the insertion of random modern day pop culture such as the rap song in the intro, and the record scratch and messing with footage when switching between character scenes. I will say I enjoy the humor a bit, and I can see it progressing as you get to know the characters, so I will give it more of a chance by watching a few more episodes.

Full Metal Alchemist, however, has successfully captured my interest from the start. I remember watching the very first few minutes of episode one a while ago. Seeing the suit of armor sitting in the corner in the beginning scene reminded me the brother became that. Like I said, characters are a huge thing to me and we see that there are quite a bit of interesting traits in the characters displayed right in the beginning. I enjoy the humor and for some reason I really like Ed's voice actor. I definitely plan to watch more of it and hope it just gets better.

As for all the other shows suggested by you swell folks, I shall see them all next. :]

The anime I suggest to you is [b]Mushi-shi[/b]. It is definitely not about fighting monsters in a tournament. In fact, it's a very calm show; mostly episodic, at that. It's... beautiful. I can't properly describe it, so you'll just have to go and give it a try to see for yourself.

[color=#4B0082]I'm going to recommend [b]Kaleido Star[/b] because it's one of the few anime I've seen that is pretty much unlike anything else I've watched and also one of my favorites. It follows Sora, a girl who travels from Japan to southern California to join Kaleido Stage, a famous acrobatic circus/theater. The first series is mostly about her struggle to improve her skills and be accepted by the rest of the cast as she works toward her dream of becoming Kaleido Stage's top star.[/color]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior' timestamp='1295836777' post='704182']
There were a few things that I didn't like when I watched the first episode, though; I'm not much for their drawing style... I've seen that style before and never really cared for it, but it's not enough to turn me off of it. What's mainly unappealing is the insertion of random modern day pop culture such as the rap song in the intro, and the record scratch and messing with footage when switching between character scenes. I will say I enjoy the humor a bit, and I can see it progressing as you get to know the characters, so I will give it more of a chance by watching a few more episodes.
[/quote]
If the music is really going to bother you then I suggest you don't continue with the series since all you're gonna here is hip hop throughout the series. As for the artwork, I can understand that one, but at the same time it didn't bother me too much.

[quote]Rurouni Kenshin - It was good at the start. Then sometime after that pirate woman it started to go downhill. I forget. But either way, Kenshin himself and all the other characters as they developed kept it interesting. I can say right now characters are a big part of how I get into animes. [b]Plus, a story about a guy who just kicks EVERYONE'S butt is always a good ride, right?[/b][/quote]
When you say it like that a couple of things popped into mind. Gungrave for one does a great job with characterization, not to mention you get to see a 1-man reckon army.

And then there's Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. Since you thought Kenshin had a decent start, you might as well check out how he got started. One thing about I have to mention about RK though, is that while the anime does hold up to some degree the manga is far superior. Some characters in the anime don't have much of a role in the manga (the old man and the 2 little girls). So if you're able and willing, do give the manga a whirl.

I'm very open to music and can handle hip hop. It only bothered me because it doesn't seem to fit the show. I mean, this isn't The Boondocks (I don't like that anime either, actually haha). But maybe I need to watch more to understand why they keep inserting that sort of stuff into it. As for Samurai X, is that a prequel to Rurouni Kenshin?

Yes. Kenshin in his glory days as an imperialist.

As for the Samurai Champloo

[quote name="Anime News Network"]Plot Summary: [b]Mugen is a fierce animal-like warrior with a unique Bboying (break-dance) inspired fighting style[/b]. Jin has a more traditional style but donâ??t think of this as a weakness because his skills are amazing. The two contrasting samurai warriors are far from friends, yet their separate paths seem to cross anyways. Mugen is wandering aimlessly through the city when he stumbles upon a teahouse where he meets Jin and Fuu (A ditzy waitress, but donâ??t think she doesnâ??t have anything hidden up her sleeves). Fuu convinces them both to come with her in search of a mysterious samurai that smells like sunflowers and their journey begins. This modernized hip-hop tale breaks the barriers of the common, historical, samurai anime.[/quote]

Mugen might be the reason why there's a lot of hip hop in it. Edited by Magus

[color=#4B0082]The Samurai X OAV is the same story that's told in the manga after the Kyoto arc instead of the crappy filler that's in the TV series after that point. So if you liked the TV series through the Kyoto arc, you'll most likely love Samurai X.[/color]

[color="#556B2F"][font="Times New Roman"]I have to agree with Des about Kaleido Star. I've seen the first few episodes and it was actually pretty good. I never really got to see anymore episodes of it because my public library didn't have the rest of the episodes. :V But it's not like any other anime I have watched. I think I might finish watching it sometime.[/font][/color] Edited by Lyndy

Cowboy Bebop may peak ur interest. Grant one of the characters is well endowed but she is most definatly not 16 either....

Hunter x Hunter is also a great option. Very interesting plot and with the exception of one slow part the series was fast paced and exceiting.

Inital D is made from where Japan learned to drift. Very realistic anime (no stereotype here at all) The animation is also really good for the mid 90's. I loved the series and was all 3 seasons and the OVA movie.

Hajime no Ippo is also a very realistic anime. About a boy who learns to box and how he and his teammates work through the ranks.

Those are the anime I can think of that definatly fit ur model. I have a couple more in mind but idk if u could stand the boucing boobies....

I don't mind boobs haha. It just seems ridiculous when every single character has large ones, 'cause it's just those creators being perverted it seems :P That's one reason why Hayao Miyazaki is so good... because he actually doesn't attempt to make characters ridiculously unreal. In fact, he makes a lot of his main characters plain looking. I've seen Cowboy Bebop and while I didn't mind Faye too much, I didn't get drawn in for some reason; which is weird, actually. It's space pirates and bounty hunters... I love that stuff.

[quote name='Dragon Warrior' timestamp='1295888720' post='704210']
I don't mind boobs haha. It just seems ridiculous when every single character has large ones, 'cause it's just those creators being perverted it seems :P That's one reason why Hayao Miyazaki is so good... because he actually doesn't attempt to make characters ridiculously unreal. In fact, he makes a lot of his main characters plain looking. I've seen Cowboy Bebop and while I didn't mind Faye too much, I didn't get drawn in for some reason; which is weird, actually. It's space pirates and bounty hunters... I love that stuff.
[/quote]

Most likely the same reason u didn't like One Piece. One Piece is one of the few animes that each character evolves. Even the ones that aren't a major role, Coleby is an excellent example of this. Readers meet him in the first few chapters and see him as a pansy and coward. Later after he joins the Marines he does a 180 with his personality. I actually think he's going to end up becoming Luffy's Marine counterpart....

My point is though sometimes u have to watch/read more into a series before giving up on it. Granted I gave up on Bleach due to issues with filler episodes (i hate bleach filler episodes with a passion!!!!!)

I understand the unreal characters and the series I mentioned above are very down to earth. With the exception of Hunter x Hunter I think none of them have the slapstick u see with most anime. (athough Cowboy Bebop might have a little now that I think about it....)

Oh, for sure. Like I said I watch at least a few episodes before tossing it away. I have been heavily watching [b]Full Metal Alchemist[/b] so far, so I would say Lyndy has successfully found one. I tried [b]Guardians of the Sacred Stone[/b] but for some reason all the videos were messing up, so I'll come back to them later. [b]Planetes[/b] wasn't bad, but if the main girl character doesn't change a whole lot I can't see me sticking around. She's a tad annoying and is only bearable when countered by the male astronaut. I am enjoying [b]Strapped Princess[/b] a bit, though. At least enough to keep me watching a few more episodes to see where it goes. This is all taking a lot of time from my day haha. I guess I didn't expect so much feedback :]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]If you're into [b]Fullmetal Alchemist[/b], be sure to check out both anime series. The first one kind of takes a plot divergence about 13 episodes in and becomes its own little story, while the more recent one (known as [b]Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood[/b] in the States) follows the manga source material more faithfully all the way to the end, plus or minus the odd throwaway gag here and there. Personally, I prefer the latter, but I do know [color="#FFA500"][url="http://www.otakuboards.com/index.php?/user/3954-sangome/"]someone[/url][/color] who swears by the original series, so it's really a matter of personal preference. They're both definitely worth checking out, though.[/font] Edited by The Professor

[quote name='The Professor' timestamp='1295912067' post='704259']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]but I do know [color="#FFA500"][url="http://www.otakuboards.com/index.php?/user/3954-sangome/"]someone[/url][/color] who swears by the original series[/font][/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Sup!

Anyway, scraping in the back of my head [and my MAL profile] dredges up two series you might be willing to give a shot.

[b]FLCL[/b] -- I'm ever so slightly skeptical in recommending this, because I am not quite sure if it's to your tastes. Most people I've talked to love it, though, so I'll give it a shot. The plot is a coming of age story, but it does it in a rather madcap way, usually requiring multiple viewings to grasp it. Said insanity is rumored to be the aftereffects of the staff having just come off of working on [i]End of Evangelion[/i], which would make... a lot of sense. If you can get past the zaniness [which, compared to Gainax's recent outing [i]Panty and Stocking[/i], is pretty dang tame], then you'll find a very beautifully animated show with extremely likable characters and a kickbutt soundtrack. I also strongly recommend the dub; while I'm not judging the original Japanese [as I have never seen it subbed], the dub is widely regarded as one of the best out there, and is my personal favorite dub ever. And hey, if you don't like it, it's only six episodes long, so it's not too much time wasted.

[b]Eureka Seven[/b] -- One of the best mecha anime I've ever seen, easily, if not the best. I must warn you that it takes a loooooong time to get stuff into motion -- we're talking about 20 episodes out of 50 -- so if you don't have a lot of patience, then you'll probably be turned off from it. But E7 is great show with an awesome cast, good story, and is pretty much one giant crowning moment of heartwarming after another [and it a semi-realistic, heartfelt way, mind you]. It focuses on two teenagers, but there's also a solid cast of adults to keep you hooked on it if it bothers you too much, so.

If neither of those are to your liking, then I apologize. But I did try my best. XD;[/font][/color]

[quote name='The Professor' timestamp='1295912067' post='704259'][font="Comic Sans MS"] but I do know [color="#ffa500"][url="http://www.otakuboards.com/index.php?/user/3954-sangome/"]someone[/url][/color] who swears by the original series, so it's really a matter of personal preference. They're both definitely worth checking out, though.[/font]
[/quote]
You know two people! I am still watching Brotherhood but I can't say I enjoy it as much... normally I am all about faster moving plots, but I think I liked the odd pace of the original. When important events happened, they felt... err... more important!

anyways I also wanted to recommend FLCL for a good humorous Anime. I don't know if it matches anything you have watched before, but when I came across it... it was new to me too. Its pllot is a bit hard to follow (had to watch it twice before I followed it and three times before I got everything) but regardless of that for as short of anime as it is, it packs a punch.

I've heard a lot of Fooly Cooly or whatever its full name is... I heard it was pretty random and kind of outrageous. With such a reputation, I think I owe it a watch.

Oh, and I got excited because I finally realized that the character Hughes in FMA is the same voice actor as Lupin the III. Noice!

FLCL is definatly random.... I was reminded of EL Kabong the way she swings around that bass guitar.... Oh and remember "iukulele no good"

Elreka 7 is a good series but the show is about a group of surfers that travel around trying to mess with the goverment. The #1 way they mess with them is releasing a magizine with photos of scatally clad women.......

I have three recommendations for you, DW. I'm going to suggest mostly serious stuff, besides my third suggestion. The humorous anime I've watched are more like FLCL. So I'll leave those out for now.

[b]Ergo Proxy[/b] - I don't want to explain too much about this one, since it will ruin the surprise, but it's a sci-fi anime that takes place in a future utopia. Humans have androids living in their society that are called autoreivs and they all live in and are protected from the outside world by a giant dome. It's pretty well done and I have few complaints about the series so far. The superpowers later on are a little cliché but most usually are.

I haven't finished it yet, but what I've seen I like so far. No anime sweat drops or anything and the characters are more like real people. Also, it has the most action out of the three I'm recommending.

[b]Dennou Coil[/b] - A neat little anime about the supernatural and virtual reality as seen through glasses. The kids (yes, it revolves around kids, so that might be one reason you won't want to pick it up,) have anime eyes but it usually ends there. Someone's aunt though is actually a high school student, but she seems like an adult. That's the only thing I can think of for a downside.

Besides that, it has a good story, some humor, a lot of mystery and it makes you feel for the characters. I finished it and liked it.

[b]Welcome to the NHK[/b] - I'm just throwing this one out here because I liked it so much. XD It deals with what you hate but it realizes how bad it all is. (The cutesy anime girls, etc.) it's about a hikkimori shut in who is pretty paranoid and believes that the NHK is making everyone into hikkimoris with anime. He ends up trying to go outside more and meets an old school friend who wants to design perverted dating sims. He also meets a girl who wants to help him escape being a hikkimori.

Like I said, it deals with the subjects you don't like in anime, but besides in one episode or two, it never does anything but show them as anime figurines and stuff. The downsides are, the main character and his friend are perverts and it does drag on, but it has some good funny moments and good drama. It also makes the characters seem like real people with real problems. For example, it never tries to make the main character seem like a great guy. He's just who he is.

Well, sorry for the long read, but I had a lot to say. d: I hope out of one of these (Ergo Proxy probably) you'll find something you like.

Sir, I accept your challenge! I'll just toss out whatever I think might strike your fancy ...

[b]Baccano![/b] would be a good one. Prohibition-era gangsters, immortals and goofballs, all clashing in a convoluted set of stories that somehow string together and climax in an effective way at the end. One warning, though: The first episode is notoriously confusing. I don't know anyone who has skipped it and watched the rest of the series, but don't let it turn you off if you do watch it. At least give the second episode a shot.

Given that you're a musician, you might like [b]Beck[/b]. It's about a group of guys who start a band and climb the ladder from the bottom up. I normally watch shows in Japanese, but the English dub for [b]Beck[/b] is fantastic -- one of the best I've heard. It really captures how teens at that age speak to each other without trying to sound too cool or snarky in a forced way like Diablo Cody wrote it or something. And it pays homage to rock in lots of cool ways.

[b]Berserk[/b] is one I liked way more than expected. It comes off like a brooding, ultraviolent "MAN, THIS ANIME ISN'T FOR KIDS YOU KNOW" type of series, but it's written and constructed in a surprisingly intelligent way, and the characters are great. I normally don't like this type of fantasy, but [b]Berserk[/b] is awesome.

[b]Black Lagoon[/b] might be up your alley, too. It's like every big crazy action movie from the '80s rolled into one show, except [b]Black Lagoon[/b] actually has a brain to go along with the brawn.

Also have to throw a shout out to [b]Monster[/b]. It's relatively lengthy for anime (74 episodes), and it's slowly paced, but the story and characters are fantastic. The dub is pretty good, too -- I don't think it's necessarily better acted than the Japanese, but it feels more natural to me because the show isn't set in Japan.