OtakuBoards

The Dragon Warrior Challenge

Dragon Warrior

[quote name='Shinmaru' timestamp='1296160462' post='704445']Also have to throw a shout out to [b]Monster[/b]. It's relatively lengthy for anime (74 episodes), and it's slowly paced, but the story and characters are fantastic. The dub is pretty good, too -- I don't think it's necessarily better acted than the Japanese, but it feels more natural to me because the show isn't set in Japan.
[/quote]

Can't believe I forgot about Black Lagoon. A warning though. If you're easily offended by anything don't watch because Black Lagoon pulls no punches. In any case, if you check out Monster and like it, you may want to check out [b]Death Note[/b] as well. I hear people that like Death Note usually like Monster. I'm of the weird species though since I can't get into Monster.

[quote name='Shinmaru' timestamp='1296160462' post='704445']
Sir, I accept your challenge! I'll just toss out whatever I think might strike your fancy ...

[b]Baccano![/b] would be a good one. Prohibition-era gangsters, immortals and goofballs, all clashing in a convoluted set of stories that somehow string together and climax in an effective way at the end. One warning, though: The first episode is notoriously confusing. I don't know anyone who has skipped it and watched the rest of the series, but don't let it turn you off if you do watch it. At least give the second episode a shot.
[/quote]

[b]Durarara!![/b] - If you like Baccano!, DW, you might like DRRR!! too. It's from the same writer and it has a lot of great twists in it. It takes place in modern Tokyo and it does follow around high school kids sometimes (one of them has an unnatural chest size,) but the characters are really good. There are some other downsides, like some hard to believe characters or situations, but on the whole I liked it a lot.

Oh and any character with blond hair has actually dyed it that way, so they do have realistic hair colors. Some of the episodes are a little creepy or seem to be unnecessary, but when they pull everything together and it all makes sense it's a lot of fun.

Oh and one warning about [b]Ergo Proxy[/b] too. There is one episode near the end that seemed unimportant and a bit strange, so I skipped it. However, an episode or two after that made reference to it so I watched it again. I'm still confused though, so if you feel like skipping [b]Episode 15[/b] I won't blame you.

[b]Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex[/b] deserves to be mentioned as well and I can't believe I didn't mention it before, especially with someone mentioning Moribito (same creator and stuff). The Major is a target for fanservice because she don't believe in wearing pants, however, there are only a few instances where fanservice seemed to be there for no reason at all, but it's hardly an issue in this series despite her dressing pretty skimpy. I'm one that hates fanservice and am easily turned off by it, and what little fanservice there is in Stand Alone Complex is can be overlooked since it's so small. Not to mention that the closer you get to the end of the season the more covered she is. 2nd GIG she's completely covered.

The story will probably draw you in more than the action, if you can actually figure the story out (That's probably the fun part of it.. I'm not a person that really care for story either but if it draws me in then it's probably good lol). I'm still trying to figure the story out and it's been almost 6 years I think since I first saw it. You might see a couple of kiddies here and there but there are no kiddy stars in this (Thank God. I'm sick of anime that have kiddies and teens as the main character) and the characters in this series are smart.