OtakuBoards

The "Rate The Song Above You" Thread

Stawks

Alright boys and girls. Simple thread. Someone posts a song via the YouTube. Or you know any other medium like that. Don't just write the name of the song, I'll stab you. Please try and listen to the whole thing. If someone posts a 15 minute free-form blackjazz odyssey I'll understand if you skip to the end, but otherwise, come on. It's not that much time out of your life.

After you give the song a listen, you rate it. Out of 10, because all other scales are for pretentious scum. Write a little critique of the song with the rating. What'd ya like. What pissed you off. What blew your mind. What ever. That way it won't be considered spam, I think.

These threads can be a lot of fun so let's do this.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebhVhkba3Xk[/media]

Romance Is Boring by Los Compesinos! Enjoy.

6-10
Interesting lyrics is what made me give the song as high of a rating as I did... The sound kinda reminds me of a garage band... which is cool if you are into that kinda thing... but it just sounds like bad quality to me. The video is pretty...hip I guess? I think it fit pretty well with the theme, so that also improved the rating. finaly the Solo in this song kinda sounded like a koala in pain to me... so I am not particularly fond of it. CaNz the music snob has spoken!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azkGI6OFZJc[/media]

Perhaps I'm not the best person to rate this song because I have grown tired of Evans Blue and the style they use, however, I was fair when I rated this. I did enjoy them once haha. The instrumentals don't sound anything special and I can't imagine they do anything extraordinarily complicated from what I hear, but I'm not going to slam them for not being virtuoso. It's a clean sound despite being distorted and the pickup into the chorus is pretty good. The chorus I would say is actually the best part and with the resonating guitar twangs of the verses slowly driving the rhythm until you hear the pickup really brings it all together. So they have a solid form. The video is also interesting, but I don't have too much to say on that... I just like scratches and the old look and such hah.

A lot of the lyrics seemed very generic and nothing special to me. But one really did stand out: "You harbored all the wasted sighs to define the quiet drone." That was extremely well-written and interesting, and I wish a lot more of that was in the song rather than just "You lived a time of lies until you told me everything," which sounds like a cheesy line from a movie. But that's taken out of context, and as such, as a whole the lyrics work well together. Lyrics don't have to be super poetic as long as they convey the message and this song does. I also like the foreshadowing of lines like "I hope we make amends, but you don't" and how it goes with the next set of verses "I'll let you start again, but you won't." All in all for a song that's not really too in my tastes anymore, it's solid and there's a reason they have climbed higher in their genre.

[b]7/10[/b].

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HNY0rx2fw4&feature=related[/media]
[b]Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - "Home"[/b]

Now tear it apart! Edited by Dragon Warrior

6,5/10

I like the feel of the song being all summery and whistle-y and how the man and woman sing in turns. The song sounds a bit too crowded for the most part, though, with too many things trying to sound prominent.

Besides, the video is too hippie, which I can only say one thing to:

[youtube]2SNHtKfDxlg[/youtube]
[size="4"][b]Primal Scream - Kill All Hippies[/b][/size] Edited by Boo

It's pretty simplistic song instrumentally, but sometimes it's necessary as not to overpower the concept of it. This simplicity seems vital for the verses so the chorus can come in strongly... and the breakdown is just fun in a box with its 8-bit noise :] I've heard this band before, but never this song. Its lo-fi sound suits its angsty attitude and I sense some kind of rebellious connotation in it, especially since it's using a controversial topic like gay marriage. Good song overall.

[b]8/10[/b]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnaeImQ0TSg[/media]

[b]MOVITS! - "Fel Del Av Garden"[/b]

I find these guys fun because they combine hip hop with swing. Since it's another language, here are the lyrics for your convenience, if you see them necessary: [url="http://i.justrealized.com/2009/movits-fel-del-av-garden/"]CLICK[/url] Edited by Dragon Warrior

[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Had me entertained from start to finish, loved it. The hip-hop beat combined with the sax and banjo is such an unexpected combonation of instruments but they really work well together. The fairly monotone [strike]rapping[/strike] [strike]singing[/strike] vocals overtop blend really well with the feel good beat backing them.

Very catchy, I liked it a lot. Reminds me of Mambo #5, lol.
[b]9/10[/b]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhheiPTdZCw[/media]
[b]The Music Scene - Blockhead[/b]

Enjoy. :3[/font][/color] Edited by White

[color="#556B2F"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]The song was pretty catchy. I started to really like it when the drums came in. I always loved the drums in a song since I used to play the drums. :3 I really liked the beat. I didn't really pay attention to the vocals that much since I have a bad habit like that since a lot of the songs I like have lyrics I don't like but have a great beat. I don't even think there were that many vocals. o3o -doesn't remember- I also liked the piano.
I would say... [b]8/10[/b][/font][/size][/color]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3S7qw_JFH4[/media]
[color="#556B2F"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"][b]Due by Mindless Self Indulgence[/b]. I really like this song because of the beat. I also love the "da la la la la" part. :B I just love Jimmy's voice.[/font][/size][/color]

4/10

I didn't like the beat at all, tbh. It wasn't particularly terrible but it was a very average and unmemorable, which is how I'd describe most of post-hardcore, which I guess is what this tries to be. Kind of soft though.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIurAP4yHtQ[/media]

Skip the first ~1:20 of this video because it is not part of the song.

[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]6/10

I think I liked the music video more than the actual song. I love it when it picks up at 2:02 but the rest of the song just feels like one huge build-up to a letdown of an ending. The vibe of the song has this "end of the show" feel for sure, which the music video contributes to, but I wasn't a fan. Kind of repetitive. Also, as a drummer, 3:50-4:00 hurt my heart, that's got to be one of the worst drum fills I've ever heard in a decent song.

All in all I enjoyed it, but I don't think I'll listen to it again anytime soon. Even so it is nice to hear bands I've never heard before! Now to have one of my songs ripped apart by you guys. :sick:

I'm not sure this style of music is everyones cup of tea. This is [b]Imitosis[/b] by [i]Andrew Bird[/i].
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnXCzFnkxtY[/media] [/font][/color] Edited by White

My pleasure White! This song is a heaping piece of... wait... hold on.... I like this one!
The smooth soul/Italiany feel flows pretty well with the singers rhythmic vocals... I can't say I like his voice, and his odd tone makes the odd lyrics even harder to understand on the first playthrough... but sound-wise I could definitely listen to them on one of my walks. The only really negative thing I can think of is the video... Its kinda gross, and the the lack of anything special... I dunno... I can't relate to it.
all in all 7.5/10
CaNz the music Snob has spoken!

[media]http://www.artistdirect.com/video/awake/35206[/media] Edited by CaNz

[color="#556B2F"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]Hm.. 7/10. The beat was nice and I really liked the melody. And I really like the singer's voice. Yay female singers! My favorite part was the intro where it opened kind of loud and then got a little quiet/smooth.. yeah. :V But not really my type of music. And speaking of female singers!
[b]Looking Glass by The Birthday Massacre[/b]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SREZ-ggSDjM[/media]
The video part of this song is pretty interesting. I've been getting into their music a lot lately, but this is probably my favorite song by them.[/font][/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"][b]6/10[/b], I liked it but felt it was a bit too long. The instruments were very melodic and enjoyable but it got a bit repetitive by the end. Also I sort of hate how the Pearl Jam guy sings so that took away a lot for me. A better singer might bring this up to 7 or 8 for me but I can't get into it with that raspy whining of a voice. Sorry, Pearl Jam fans. :(

As for the The Who's version (the original) I liked it a lot more. I haven't heard this song before but I [i]have[/i] heard a lot of The Who's stuff and I love their drummer. His fills and the superior vocals make their version twice as good. [b]8/10[/b]

[center][b]Porcupine Tree - "Trains"[/b]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIM5M6FmnmY[/media][/center]

Enjoy! :3 Remember to listen to the whole song before commenting. ^_^
[/font][/color] Edited by White

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this one... but since I listened to all 6 minutes of this I am rating it anyways.

3/10
The song starts out slow with an awful guitar arrangement in my opinion. The chords have a very repetitive pattern and I don't even like the sound. This same patern is barely changed up at all during the chorus and throught the different parts of the song they play it again in a different distortion and volume. The lead singer is very hard to understand, but from what I got was this is a song about a train crash, and he relates it somehow to love. The only reason why I could even get that much was because he says the same thing over and over again. though the lyrics may be poetic... it seems like bad poetry to me. Really the only thing I liked in the song was the solo, which was pretty cool, but that was about twenty seconds of enjoyment out of six minutes of disappointment. (plus there is no video)
CaNz the music snob has spoken!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqldwoDXHKg[/media]

[quote name='CaNz' timestamp='1297456903' post='704870']
3/10
The song starts out slow with an awful guitar arrangement in my opinion. The chords have a very repetitive pattern and I don't even like the sound. This same patern is barely changed up at all during the chorus and throught the different parts of the song they play it again in a different distortion and volume. The lead singer is very hard to understand, but from what I got was this is a song about a train crash, and he relates it somehow to love. The only reason why I could even get that much was because he says the same thing over and over again. though the lyrics may be poetic... it seems like bad poetry to me. Really the only thing I liked in the song was the solo, which was pretty cool, but that was about twenty seconds of enjoyment out of six minutes of disappointment. (plus there is no video)
CaNz the music snob has spoken!![/quote]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#696969"]Ouch. O_O I'll admit that the bass solo is my favorite part of the song, but I always enjoy when the drums come crashing in which I'm surprised you didn't mention. That being said the singer is easier to understand than some of the videos that you've posted so I don't really understand your issue there and it's no more repetitive than that Awake song you posted... But to each his own I guess. I'm also curious now, CaNz, do you play any instruments (if so, which ones and for how long) or do you just listen to music a lot? Just curious.

I'm also greatly let down by the fact that people keep mentioning the videos in their critique. It's rate the SONG above you not rate the MUSIC VIDEO above you.

Aaanyway... As a huge Metric fanboy, I'm disappointed with your selection. Their newer stuff isn't nearly as good as their older music and Fantasies was such a let down for me. Gimme Sympathy was alright the first time I heard it, and while it may not be fair for someone who's heard the song a whole lot to rate it I'll try to be as unbiased as possible.

My biggest gripe with this song is how freaking repetitive the chorus is. I think you hear Gimme Sympathy like 10 times in 1 chorus and then you hear "Like here comes the sun" a shitton more. It's actually irritating because Metric never used to be like this. That being said I dig the lyrics. And the drum beat, while fairly mundane, matches the tone of the song quite well. Truly though, the main issue I have with this song has more to do with the fact that it's such an average rock song. Nothing really makes it special or stand out to me and there are better Metric songs that break this formula. [b]6/10[/b]

So I was going to post [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHLZ2FSwog]Hustle Rose[/url] by Metric in reply but I think I've taken enough shots at you CaNz and I feel like you'd reply with why Gimme Sympathy is better. :P So here's a totally random song! You really have to like J-Pop [i]and[/i] Metal to truly appreciate this song, I'll understand if the next person isn't as crazy about it as I am but I think it's badass.[/font][/color]

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0epwjWF3Wwo[/media][/center] Edited by White

[quote name='CaNz to only White']
Sorry If I upset you with the rating White, ( I am sure I didn't upset you much, but I all my ratings were out of my opinion alone, and I don't mean to insult your taste at all) I just like certain things different in songs. I will agree that there is a lot of repetition in any song including my own, and for some songs thats perfectly okay, but the song Riff didn't sound good to me in the first place, yet they took the exact same chords and distorted it rather than a change up, and in the chorus they only alter the portions sound of the chord progression rather than change it entirely. This is slightly different from The songs I chose because they have different progressions for all parts of the song. Awake has a different Intro, different Verse, different Chorus. and a Solo as well. The same applies with Gimmy Sympathy except instead of six minutes it is four. 2/3 of the time to be repetitive. a lot of the Train song is instrumentals... there are not many lyrics in the song so I heard the same riff a lot. the lengths of the riff also adds to why I feel that way. The riff repeats after four beats. In awake the riff repeats after 16 once every verse (the first four beats and the second four are Identical I know, but the whole pattern that repeats is 16) as for Gimmy Sympathy the verse repeats after 16 beats twice each time, before jumping into a very different chorus riff.
I counted the same Riff in trains 12 times before I heard any other instrument played. I know a lt of Acoustic songs like that, but I only like those when the Riff sounds good to me. It Can easily sound good to other people though, I just rate em like I hear it. I barely recognised the drums when they came in, and the song keeps the same tempo through the entire six minutes so I don't think they made a real impact. I don''t mind the drum beat, but its pretty simple. It matches the song well, but it doesn't change it, so it doesn't change my view of it. Vocals are always up to peoples opinions. I just thought the foggy distant sound made him had to understand. If mine are hard to understand too then thats fine, but it doesn't change my view of the song either. I know Evans Blue is tough to understand... That band takes repetition to finally get, but I like the sound of Evans Blues singer far better, and the lyrics in my opinion are on an entire other level.

I often play the guitar, bass guitar, piano, harmonica, and I used to play the drums, but I never had too much talent in it and have not played in ages. I also listen to lots of music. You?

I know don't have to mention the video, but all of them have had them thus far and it gives you something to look at... At least for me it doesn't effect the song rating, but I like to mention it.

I like Hustle Rose better than Gimmy Sympathy too, As well as a couple songs from Underground, my favorite of all time is Combat Baby from that CD, but I like Gimmy Sympathy too and I wanted to show off the silly video.
I wouldn't wanna say why one song is better than another either.

I would like to defend my song choice since you got to do it to yours. I agree that its a common rock song, however what stands out is 1: lead singer is a girl yet she can make good rock songs. 2: lyrics are bettter than most in my opinion, 3: I think its done on purpose since they are alluding to popular rock bands (music fits the lyrics) and finally 4: Metric is not a normal rock band, so I like it because they do something they aren't used to better than most bands that only play this genre. Also Gimmy Sympathy is said three times in the song, She does sing the words " who'd you rather be" and "ohh seriously" in the same pitch though so maybe that brought up the confusion. so really they only say Gimmy sympathy once per chorus... also though at the end of the song she does say the here comes the sun part a lot, but I think that's because she was just doing it to put words in the outro. every other chorus she only says it once. I consider repeating it at the end a change up though... so I thought it was even less repetitive, though I can see why you'd feel that way.

Anyways, I am sorry again if I stepped on a toe with the low score, but its just how I feel.[/quote]
I am a fan of a good J-pop song!
7.5/10
For transitioning between super happy sounding Pop music to heavy metal... they do this almost seamlessly. The big haired dude has an awesome voice too, though its a bit auto-tuned, especially during the happy chorus. Drums were generic, but the transitions between the two different sounding sections are perfect. The only problem I have with the instrumentals are that they all kinda sound like generic pop rock and then generic heavy metal, just put together really really ridiculously well. The other singer(s... I donno how many there are) gave more depth to the sound of the songs lyrics, and though I don't know what they were... I don't really care.

also... The video is pretty funny and entertaining.
CaNz the music snob has spoken!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16_2HBaeFXk[/media] Edited by CaNz

[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Well, I certainly disagree that the drums don't change the tone of the song because they do, vastly, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

And while I don't consider them having a female singer that can do a good rock song to be a strong point (it's uncommon, yes, but it's her talent as a singer that contributes to the song not her gender) your other 3 points are valid. I suppose I over-exaggerated my complaints about the Gimme Sympathy line as well due to being a bit angry but at least you called me out on it. lol

I do appreciate the more in-depth reply, though. I'll let someone else rate your song now. XD

Oh and I've been playing drums for nearly 8 years which is how long I've been a member here! :][/font][/color] Edited by White

For the drum part I didnt say Tone... I said "it" which I meant to be refering to tempo. The song is always a pretty slow song, and though it changes the tone to heavier at times... its still not a giant jump. Its a good beat but not a saving grace.... maybe a silver lining because its another thing I didn't dislike.
[quote name='Stawks' timestamp='1295904603' post='704233']
Write a little critique of the song with the rating.
[/quote]
This causes problems for people. I can usually justify my reasoning, but not without posting walls of text no one wants to go through.

Cool, Its hard to find good drummers, Guitar players like me are a dime a dozen.

[quote name='CaNz' timestamp='1297472712' post='704885']
This causes problems for people. I can usually justify my reasoning, but not without posting walls of text no one wants to go through.
[/quote]
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]lol[/font][/color] Edited by White

[color="#556B2F"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]9/10-
-because I really like Muse, but it's not my favorite song by them. I always love the guy's voice and the guitar solos. Not much I can say about this since I like pretty much everything about this, but it just seems like something is missing. Can't put my finger on it.
Anyways, it was hard for me to find a song that was different than the last one I posted, so I settled for hip hop/rap. :V
[b]Petrified by Fort Minor~[/b]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6pAXYFYU5o[/media]
And I don't really like that many hip hop bands, but I really like Fort Minor.[/font][/size][/color]

[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]This song reminded me a lot of Mike Shinoda's rapping from Linkin Park, just without the rock backing that accompanies him. I liked it, but I wasn't crazy about it. My main issue with these kinds of songs is the beat never changes. Like... ever. I'm giving it a [b]5/10[/b] because normally the redeeming quality about hip-hop groups is they have different people with different styles of rapping, but a lot of these guys sound alike (unless it's just the one rapping, I really don't know, lol).

That being said, the rapping is decent and the beat is good. It just goes on for too long with little to no change, IMO.

I found this really cool underground band, you may have heard of them. They're called [i]The Beatles[/i]. I don't think they're very popular right now but I think they've got some decent songs. They probably won't make it big, though. :suave:
[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WBelmO65J4[/media][/font][/color][/center]

[FONT=Calibri]Asking people to rate [i]The Beatles[/i] is such a flagrant troll that the only way I can respond is by ignoring the rate part altogether (because damn, man, it's [i]The Beatles[/i]) and respond in kind.[/FONT]

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1-TrAvp_xs[/media]
[/center]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#696969"]Pardon me? It's rate the song above you, not ignore the song above you and do your own. The Beatles are well-known, yes, but the song I chose is not. I was actually hoping someone would give an appropriate and realistic critique of the song but apparently I was sadly mistaken.

But you sound [i]so cool[/i] in your post. :eh: [/color][/font]

White, great choice, The Beatles are amazing, they revolutionized music, and are still huge to this day, lol! And they're one of my favs, and one of my favorite songs by them! 10/10

Allamorph, I'm going to have to say the same to you as I did to White, cause your're just as "guilty", putting someone like Motzart is just asking for personal gratification from anyone who is passionate about music, and appreciates music for what is started out as... He revolutionized music as much as, if not more than The Beatles... A 10/10 for the song, but not for roasting White, and turning around and doing something exremely hypocritical

Now that's all over, let's move on and forget about it... After all, this is all about sharing our likes and opinions!

ANYWHO!!!
Kimya Dawson- I Like Giants
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyJChP-mzqw[/media] Edited by ItalyBros_PASTA!