OtakuBoards

The OtakuBoards Gym Leader Tournament

Kei

[center][img]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7017/logocopypo.png[/img]

[center][font="Century Gothic"][b]Come one, come all! The OtakuBoards Gym Leader Tournament is coming in May!

[/b][/font][left][font="Century Gothic"]
[b]What is the OtakuBoards Gym Leader Tournament?[/b]

The OBGLT is a tournament for Pokémon trainers here at OtakuBoards. Any and everyone is welcome to participate.

[b]What are the rules for this tournament? What makes it special?

[/b]The special part of this tournament is the fact that all Trainers involved [b]must specialize in one type of Pokémon.[/b] This means that all Pokémon on a person's team must share a type (i.e. Fire, Water, Grass, etc.). Dual-typed Pokémon are acceptable, as long as they fit the Trainer's overall theme.

[b]Only one species of any Pokémon can be used in any given team.[/b] Using two gender variations of a Pokémon is not allowed. [b]Use of Legendary, pseudo-Legendary, and Uber Pokémon is allowed, but is limited to one per team, and only so long as that Pokémon follows the Trainer's type theme.[/b]

All participants must have [b]Pokémon Black or White [/b]to participate. In regards to tournament style and play, battles will be [b]6-on-6[/b], and [b]all Pokémon on a team must be Lv. 60. [/b]Hold Items are allowed, though [b]repeat items are not [/b](that means no two Pokémon can be Holding the same item). Trainers will compete in a single round-robin style tournament. The Trainer with the most wins at the end of the tournament will be crowned Champion.

[b]How do I sign up for the tournament?

[/b][/font][font="Century Gothic"]To claim your stake, simply post in this thread with the type you would like to claim. Once you have decided on your team, please edit your post to include that team and your Friend Code. This post will be edited with open and closed positions during the sign-up process, and with standings once the tournament begins.

[/font][font="Century Gothic"]Sign-ups for the May tournament are currently[/font][font="Century Gothic"][color="#00ff00"] [b][color="#8b0000"]closed[/color][/b][/color][/font][font="Century Gothic"]. Trainers will have until [b][color="#ff0000"]May 14[/color] [/b]to register their teams (meaning the team list must be posted; movesets and Hold Items do not have to be listed). The actual tournament will begin on [b][color="#ff0000"]May 28[/color]. [/b]

Presently, the determination of whether or not prizes (other than the title of Champion) will be given after the tournament is currently under evaluation.

[b]Is this a one-time event?

[/b]Ideally, no. If there is enough response, there will be another tournament taking place one in-game year from the start date (i.e. the tournament will happen every Spring, or, every four months).

[/font]
[center][font="Century Gothic"][b][size="3"][color="#ff0000"]Standings

[/color][/size][/b]
[color="#000000"]In the battle between [b]CaNz [/b]and [b]Morbo[/b], the Dragon trainer swept the field, earning an absolute 6-0 victory against the Normal-type trainer. Dialga and Haxorous tore through ranks to clench a final impressive victory for Morbo, securing his standing in the rankings.

Fortune stayed with [b]Lawliet[/b] through his match, as he managed to beat [b]Kei [/b]four Pokémon strong. His Starmie managed to deliver the final blow to the Flying team, dashing hopes for a chance to move up in the ranks.

[b]Ace [/b]managed to win his match by default and the match between [b]White [/b]and [b]Lilly [/b]ended with a draw-loss due to technical difficulties.

We've finally come to the end. After eight long weeks, the battles have been fought and the dust has settled. Here are your final rankings!

[img]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5418/rankingscopy.png[/img]

I would like to thank and congratulate all the participants. All of you helped to make the first OtakuBoards Gym Leader Tournament a success. I would also like to send a special congratulations to our first Champion, [b]Lawliet![/b]

Please look forward to the next tournament, which will be launching in the OB Event forum. See you next Spring!
[/color][/font][/center][/left][/center] [/center]

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Ol' Fighter' timestamp='1302380177' post='706401']
I claim the harshness of winter.

Dewgong
Lapras
Walrein
Golurk
Vanilluxe
Beartic

Friend Code: 3697 0125 2071
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Sorry, but Golurk doesn't fit the Ice theme, so it can't be accepted as part of the roster. I'll mark off the Ice-type as claimed, but please switch out the Golurk prior to May 14.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Morbo' timestamp='1302432458' post='706413']
I would like to claim Psychic type. My team is yet to be decided.

EDIT: Question- are Legend pokemon are allowed?
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]W-Wait, I was gonna choose Psychic. I've even gotten a team formulated and everything.

Can...can we negotiate? D8 I mean, bad on me for not posting, but uhhh...yeah. Worst case scenario, though, I can go with my backup of Ghost.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[quote name='Morbo' timestamp='1302432458' post='706413']Question- are Legend pokemon are allowed?[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Also curious about this, AFAIK Legendaries and "ubers" are generally frowned upon or outright banned in tournament play.[/size][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Regarding the matter of the Psychic slot: Morbo, Gome did claim the Psychic-type to me over at theO Chat about two days ago. However, since she NEVER POSTED HERE (*pointed look*), that slipped my mind and I forgot to update the roster. Is there any way you would be interested in another type? Or would you like to maybe take the Psychic-type in the Doubles tournament (though the start date for that has yet to be determined)?

Regarding the Legendary/Uber question: Legendaries, pseudo-Legendaries, and Ubers being what they are, it seems unfair, to me, to have them just be usable all willy-nilly. Therefore, I will make a stipulation that each team is allowed the use of one Legendary/pseudo-Legendary/Uber, as long as it fits their type roster.
[/color][/font]

I claim water type!

So I finally decided on my team. I was sad because I had my heart set on using Manaphy for my legendary but my Manaphy has been at level 100 since Pearl, so I'm having to settle with its super weak offspring.

Phione
Kingdra
Ludicolo
Tentacruel
Swampert
Starmie

Also, generation five had whack water types. The only one that I almost considered using was Jellicent but I'm not really a fan. Edited by Lawliet

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Well, I guess I'm already on the unofficial list, but I suppose I'd better make my formal entry.

I call upon the arcane and mysterious powers of the Dark-type, for there is no good or evil. Only power, and those too weak to seek it.

Scrafty
Sneasel
Tyranitar
Bisharp
Honchkrow
[s]Hydreigon[/s] Haha even I'm not that much of a bastard
Houndoom[/font]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]I suppose I should also be posting my own team here. High Flyers, ASSEMBLE!

Emolga, Sigilyph, Gyarados, Altaria, Crobat, and Honchkrow.

Friend Code: 3825-7967-4999[/color][/font]

[quote name='Kei' timestamp='1302508135' post='706433'][font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"][size="7"]Emolga[/size][/color][/font][/quote]

[center][img]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/Geesaroni/RageFace.png[/img][/center]

[quote name='Gavin' timestamp='1302509509' post='706436']
[center][img]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/Geesaroni/RageFace.png[/img][/center]
[/quote]

[center][img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6144/1297395236528.jpg[/img]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]
[/color][/font][left][font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"](Also, Emolga loves you. <3)[/color][/font]
[/left][/center]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I guess I should post my intended team, too.

Man, I remember when these guys were vastly overpowered in Gen I. The Dark type was even created just to balance things out. [s]And WHY does it figure that Ace has the type advantage over me?[/s]

At any rate. Assemble, ye beings of the mind. Or something.

Gothitelle
Reuniclus
Beheeyem
Gallade
Sigilyph
Metagross

FC to come later, as I intend on getting a 3DS by the end of the month.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Kei' timestamp='1302472027' post='706423']
[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Regarding the matter of the Psychic slot: Morbo, Gome did claim the Psychic-type to me over at theO Chat about two days ago. However, since she NEVER POSTED HERE (*pointed look*), that slipped my mind and I forgot to update the roster. Is there any way you would be interested in another type? Or would you like to maybe take the Psychic-type in the Doubles tournament (though the start date for that has yet to be determined)?

Regarding the Legendary/Uber question: Legendaries, pseudo-Legendaries, and Ubers being what they are, it seems unfair, to me, to have them just be usable all willy-nilly. Therefore, I will make a stipulation that each team is allowed the use of one Legendary/pseudo-Legendary/Uber, as long as it fits their type roster.
[/color][/font]
[/quote]

Meh. I was gonna pick Dragon as a second but the lack of non uber/legend makes it terrible. I guess I will just step out as the other choices are my least liked types.

:( and after i spent the last 2 days researching and picking Psychic Pokemon Edited by Morbo

[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Yeah, I'm not really sure why there's a one team per type restriction... That only limits the amount of people able to participate which we don't exactly have a plethora of. When I planned on making this tournament, I clearly stated that would not be the case. Unfortunately I was never even contacted about this (which would have been nice as I was halfway through making the thread...).[/font][/color]

I've changed my mind again I'll take Dragon type and make the best of a bad situation.

Just for my records I have it down as the following are classed as only 1 allowed in my team:

- Latios
- Latias
- Rayquazza
- Palkia
- Dialga
- Giratina
- Reshiram
- Zekrom
- Kyurem

Which leaves my other 5 picks to be out of the following?
- Dragonite
- Salamence
- Garchomp
- Hydreigon
- Kingdra
- Haxorus
- Flygon

I feel spoilt for choice.

[quote name='White' timestamp='1302623677' post='706462']
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Yeah, I'm not really sure why there's a one team per type restriction... That only limits the amount of people able to participate which we don't exactly have a plethora of. When I planned on making this tournament, I clearly stated that would not be the case. Unfortunately I was never even contacted about this (which would have been nice as I was halfway through making the thread...).[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Well, you disappeared on all of us and didn't respond to any questions, so I assumed you'd wandered off again. Not exactly an unfair assumption. =p

Anyway, as far as the one team per restriction goes, I don't think it would be very fun or interesting if we had type overlap. If two or three people have a team of Water Pokémon, imagine how frustrating it would be for someone to have to slough through [i]another [/i]team of bulky Waters. Don't know about you, but that just sounds like something headache-inducing to me.[/color][/font]

Hmm.... well, Ace has already claimed the Dark type. :/ So I'll have to think of another type I wanna do instead. I'll edit/post again when I've decided.

EDIT: Okay, I've decided on Steel. I'll post up my team whenever I've narrowed that down. Edited by Nony

[quote name='Gavin' timestamp='1302707897' post='706517']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Maybe have a limit so that there can be only two people with a particular type and have them rotate around ? [/size][/font]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]That's not a bad idea. I suppose if people would have to switch to the new type every other round, it would still make a bit of sense and give people options... However, there's the downside of having to raise 12 Pokémon instead of just six. But, if people really want to run two types, then I suppose that's on them. I'll update the main post.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Morbo' timestamp='1302720379' post='706527']
Why hasn't dragon been cross off yet? I wanna be the Dragon type!!
[/quote]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]
Easy there, Skippy. It's taken care of now. =p[/color][/font]

[quote name='Kei' timestamp='1302731380' post='706535']
[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]That's not a bad idea. I suppose if people would have to switch to the new type every other round, it would still make a bit of sense and give people options... However, there's the downside of having to raise 12 Pokémon instead of just six. But, if people really want to run two types, then I suppose that's on them. I'll update the main post.[/color][/font][/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Heh, not what I meant but a better idea. :sweatdrop:[/size][/font]