OtakuBoards

The OtakuBoards Gym Leader Tournament

Kei

[quote name='Gavin' timestamp='1302737022' post='706539']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Heh, not what I meant but a better idea. :sweatdrop:[/size][/font]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]What did you mean, then?[/color][/font]

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]That we could have two people using the same type and that they would rotate between one another for every second battle. Could fold it in with your idea about training second teams, but I'd just meant it for people who say, wanted to be psychic if it was already taken. Going more than two and we risk people getting less opportunity to play.[/size][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]Oh, okay. I get what you mean now. That seems fair to me. Do you think it would be too complicated if we say that people who are sharing types can have a back-up team of another type? That way, both ideas are incorporated.
[/color][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#696969"]Why don't you just allow more than one of a specific type participate? I mean Dragon types ARE weak against Dragon types. That could be an interesting match! ;]

I mean there are more than 1 Gym Leaders for a lot of the types across all 5 generations so I don't see why we couldn't have 2 trainers specialize in the same type. Story-wise they'd just be from different regions. *shrug* It's up to you, though.[/color][/font] Edited by White

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]The thing is, the entire point of the tournament is that everyone specializes in one type. If you want to go with the Region analogy, this is all one region. There's no overlap in a single region (Elite Four notwithstanding). I would really like to be inclusive of people's ideas (and some of you have been really helpful), but one I really thought about the recent suggestions, it started to make little sense to include something like that, especially considering that this isn't going to be the only tournament that's going to happen. There will be another chance to sign up as a specific type you may want. Just because you won't necessarily get the chance now doesn't mean you should give up. Just try again next go-round.

That being said, I think I'm going to remove the newest exception and put things back how they were. I'm sorry to those that are a bit put out, but please feel free to try again next time.
[/color][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Playing Devil's Advocate to both of you, maybe we should do it so people can only have a second team (of their preference) after all the others have been filled up ?

If someone is interested, I don't mind switching to Ghost instead of Fire.[/size][/font]

I would really like to snag the normal type spot... but I haven't purchased the game yet. (and won't be able to until I get paid next Friday) But I do have a few pokemon I can train already during the meantime in other games. I was wondering if it would be okay if I could have the spot reserved. or maybe if someone can take my register for my spot in case I don't manage to get the game (though I doubt that will happen.)

If it is gonna be too much of a hassle or against the rules then I will understand too.

[quote name='Gavin' timestamp='1302777624' post='706562']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Playing Devil's Advocate to both of you, maybe we should do it so people can only have a second team (of their preference) after all the others have been filled up ?[/size][/font]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]That's what we'll go with.

CaNz: As long as you have the game before the tournament starts, I don't see that much of an issue.[/color][/font]

[quote name='The Professor' timestamp='1302503962' post='706431']
[font="Comic Sans MS"][s]Hydreigon[/s] Haha even I'm not that much of a bastard[/font]
[/quote]

Haha.. I am.

Dragon Team:
Dialga
Dragonite
Hydreigon
Hoxorus
Garchomp
Salamence

Friend code: 4212 4208 9191 Edited by Morbo

[quote name='Morbo' timestamp='1302908679' post='706610']
Haha.. I am.

Dragon Team:
Dialga
Dragonite
Hydreigon
Hoxorus
Garchomp
Salamence

Friend code: 4212 4208 9191
[/quote]
[center][IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/Aceburner85/ani-gant-stare.gif[/IMG][/center]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]You're allowed one Legendary, Pseudo-Legendary or Uber-tier Pokemon. A Pseudo-Legendary is any 'mon with a base stat total of 600 or more that isn't specifically defined as a Legendary. The only thing on this proposed team that doesn't fall under any of those three categories is Haxorus.

So basically, your options (along with a single one of the five above that aren't Haxorus) are:

Druddigon
Altaria
Kingdra
Flygon
and, of course, Haxorus.

'Tis a limited spread, to be certain, but Dragon as a type is kind of broken as all hell.
Although you might be able to make the case to include a Zweilous, since it doesn't even evolve until four levels after the tournament's cap.[/font]

[quote name='The Professor' timestamp='1302947728' post='706618']
[center][img]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/Aceburner85/ani-gant-stare.gif[/img][/center]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]You're allowed one Legendary, Pseudo-Legendary or Uber-tier Pokemon. A Pseudo-Legendary is any 'mon with a base stat total of 600 or more that isn't specifically defined as a Legendary. The only thing on this proposed team that doesn't fall under any of those three categories is Haxorus.

So basically, your options (along with a single one of the five above that aren't Haxorus) are:

Druddigon
Altaria
Kingdra
Flygon
and, of course, Haxorus.

'Tis a limited spread, to be certain, but Dragon as a type is kind of broken as all hell.
Although you might be able to make the case to include a Zweilous, since it doesn't even evolve until four levels after the tournament's cap.[/font]
[/quote]

[color="#000000"]Good god I didn't know they plastered Dragons with so much red tape, (also i never looked up the pseudo thing only uber and couldn't see any restrictions so apologies, and well new list to come I guess)
[/color]

[quote name='Morbo' timestamp='1302970743' post='706624']
[color="#000000"]Good god I didn't know they plastered Dragons with so much red tape, (also i never looked up the pseudo thing only uber and couldn't see any restrictions so apologies, and well new list to come I guess)
[/color]
[/quote]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#696969"]Aw Morbo. :[ Dragons is definitely tricky that way. I'm doing some type fights IRL with a group of friends as well and two of them are taking Dragon. And we've put no restriction on any of them. They're going to [i]murder[/i] the rest of us.

I also edited my team because I had two Legendaries in it.

Magnezone, Electivire, Galvantula, Rotom, Emolga, and Zekrom.[/color][/font] Edited by White

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Yeah, Dragon-type's real finicky that way. It's funny since if we hadn't ever gotten past gen I, my type choice would be the one everyone's going "NERGHHHHHH" at, considering they were overpowered as snot back then.

Anyway, I've not decided yet, but if I can get my Espeon from the Dream World soon, I might switch out my Beheeyem with that. Beheeyem's stats are kind of meh.[/font][/color]

I think that they will give the Eeveelutions out the day the thing closes, so May 5 (if I am remembering correctly). Also I am almost done raising my team to level 60. I only need to do my Tentacruel and Phione. I have waited on Phione because I am thinking that I might replace it with Suicune, Phione's stats aren't really comparable to legionaries or pseudo legionaries and I feel like I'm gimping myself by using it in one's place. Also I have a question, I read a while ago that in the generation 5 meta using a team that has pokemon with the abilities Drizzle and Swift Swim will be illegal. Are the people competing in this tournament going to be held to that ban and other bans that the competitive pokemon community have laid out?

Well, I still don't have my game yet... but I do have the list of Pokemon I would like to use.
They are not fully leveled and I don't even have one of them yet, (but I figure it won't be too difficult to catch) however I will definitely be ready when the time comes.
Anyways, here is my normal type lineup.

[b]Ursaring[/b]
[b]Porygon-Z[/b]
[b]Bouffalant[/b]
[b]Dodrio
[/b][b]Ambipom
Slacking
[/b][size="3"]
CaNz= 0132 2284 9365[/size][b]
[/b] Edited by CaNz

[quote name='CaNz' timestamp='1303025168' post='706646']
Well, I still don't have my game yet... but I do have the list of Pokemon I would like to use.
They are not fully leveled and I don't even have one of them yet, (but I figure it won't be too difficult to catch) however I will definitely be ready when the time comes.
Anyways, here is my normal type lineup.

[b]Ursaring[/b]
[b]Porygon-Z[/b] [b]
[/b][s][b]Blissey[/b][/s] nobody wants to fight that...
[b]Bouffalant[/b]
[b]Dodrio
[/b][b]Girafarig
Slacking

[/b]
[/quote]
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]What?! No Ditto?! :(

[b]EDIT:[/b] Also I've got two IRL friends signing-up on the website to participate, but they're still waiting on the validation e-mail so they can't post and claim their type. I know for sure [b]Dejara[/b] wants to claim [b]Ghost[/b]. [/font][/color] Edited by White

[quote name='White' timestamp='1303061202' post='706656']
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]What?! No Ditto?! :([/font][/color]
[/quote]
I don't want one of those pervy little guys on flirting with the rest of the team.

[quote name='Lawliet' timestamp='1303004365' post='706636']
I read a while ago that in the generation 5 meta using a team that has pokemon with the abilities Drizzle and Swift Swim will be illegal. Are the people competing in this tournament going to be held to that ban and other bans that the competitive pokemon community have laid out?
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]This is the first I've heard of something like that, but I don't doubt what you're claiming (the last time I checked Smogon, it was down, so I can't research what the big boys are doing). For this tournament, I don't think we're going to do all that. I mean, it's a competition, but it's a competition for fun and bragging rights. It's not completely srs biz. =p[/color][/font]

[quote name='Kei' timestamp='1303078655' post='706662']
[font="Tahoma"][color="#000080"]This is the first I've heard of something like that, but I don't doubt what you're claiming (the last time I checked Smogon, it was down, so I can't research what the big boys are doing). For this tournament, I don't think we're going to do all that. I mean, it's a competition, but it's a competition for fun and bragging rights. It's not completely srs biz. =p[/color][/font]
[/quote]

Well then I think that its to late for me to redo my team anyway, all six of the ones I'm using are at level 60 already. Edited by Lawliet