OtakuBoards

The Throwaways Backstage

DeLarge

@Lilt: That's absolutely fine, I realise I threw something of a spanner in the works for your character in the costume department, so any modifications you want to make are absolutely fine by me.

Also, and this applies to everyone, Gavin messaged me with a very good idea, and that is to implement a Geist-wide system of 'Power Levels', meaning a categorisation of the supers in terms of the strength and general control levels of their abilities. The levels will be as follows:

5 - very weak, uncontrolled powers, probably only just manifested
4 - some control over powers, still unstable but without much power
3 - average, most untrained supers in their early twenties are likely to be this level
2 - higher-than-average strength, proficient at controlling their abilities
1 - very high power levels, highly skilled at both force and fine motor control
0/Alpha-Level - potentially the most powerful beings on the planet, only a small number of Alpha-Levels exist

Your characters are likely to be level 3, possibly level 2 at a push. To put it into perspective, the Big Five are all classified as follows:

[b]Oracle:[/b] Level 1 - her precognitive abilities are incredibly powerful, but almost entirely uncontrollable
[b]Starlighter:[/b] Level 0/1 - during the day, he has incredibly high power levels, but during night, his power is greatly diminished, however at all times his level of skill and control is very high
[b]Freight Train:[/b] Level 1 - he has some of the highest physical power levels of anyone on the planet, but almost no control over it
[b]Hydro-Girl:[/b] Level 0 - high levels of power and incredibly fine control over her ability
[b]The Patriot:[/b] Level 0 - incredibly high power levels and total control over his abilities

I should also say, if any of you have any ideas about the future of the RP, either to do with your characters or the RP as a whole, please don't hesitate to PM me with them and we can discuss things and try and work them into the story. Edited by DeLarge

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to [font="Tahoma"][size="2"]compliment what DeLarge was saying regarding power levels, because they're an internal measurement system for Geist they shouldn't be taken as complete Gospel. Effectively a character's "level" is going to be a rough, average estimation of their skills and there are indeed degrees within levels. To better explain, Big Five member Freight Train is classified as a Level 1 Super, his strength, durability and speed are probably at top end Level 0 is capable of, but his lack of fine control of that super speed (mid/high Level 2) means his combat effectiveness is limited to that of a Level 1.

Essentially what this means is that a characters Level isn't going to be the be all and end all of a fight. A Level 2 could triumph over a Level 1 due to a mix of the right tactics, better control or higher power, or a type advantage. As I said though, this is an internal system for Geist, so you're not going to have supers from outside of Geist referring to themselves as Level X or whatever. A character might try to work out roughly what level they are versus their opponent but that'll be about it.

[b][Edit][/b] Quick edit to match DeLarge's edit. [/size][/font] Edited by Gavin

[quote name='Lrb' timestamp='1312086275' post='708687']
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]
I've also got another version which is exactly the same but with all of our characters code names next to each corresponding character.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[b]I'm curious to see this one actually.[/b]

[quote name='DeLarge' timestamp='1312389776' post='708739']
@Lilt: That's absolutely fine, I realise I threw something of a spanner in the works for your character in the costume department, so any modifications you want to make are absolutely fine by me.

I should also say, if any of you have any ideas about the future of the RP, either to do with your characters or the RP as a whole, please don't hesitate to PM me with them and we can discuss things and try and work them into the story.
[/quote]

[b]It's okay. It didn't hurt her costume too much. I just thought an astronaut would be an interesting superhero image. Thanks to the little modifications though, I can keep to that. So thanks for your help, DeLarge.

I'll probably take you up on your offer to PM you too. I have an idea for Martian's powers, especially with that great power level idea. I would post it here, but I want to work it out first in case it won't fit the RP.[/b]

[quote name='Lilt' timestamp='1312431547' post='708753']
[b]I'm curious to see this one actually.[/b]
[/quote][color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]
It's nothing special but I shall post it, and thanks for the kind words everyone. ^_^

[img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4205/throwawayslogowithnames.jpg[/img][/font][/color]

[quote name='Mage17' timestamp='1312525292' post='708786']
Lol I gotta find that pic for flare again >.<!!!! lol.
[/quote]
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Yeah, as soon as you find it just send it my way and I'll switch 'em out.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Lrb' timestamp='1312486973' post='708762']
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]
It's nothing special but I shall post it, and thanks for the kind words everyone. ^_^

[img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4205/throwawayslogowithnames.jpg[/img][/font][/color]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Huh, thank you for reminding me my characters name was Novus and not Nova Lrb.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Gavin' timestamp='1312642885' post='708800']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Huh, thank you for reminding me my characters name was Novus and not Nova Lrb.[/size][/font]
[/quote]
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]LOL. You're welcome. xD

So... where my throwaways at? :p I'm sorry my post is so long, I couldn't help it. >_<[/font][/color] Edited by Lrb

Hello happy people! I just wanted to inform you of the next stages of the RP, so you've all got an idea of what your characters should be doing.

Now we're back from our first less-than-successful encounter with a member of the Big Five, Geist wants us to be trained more effectively, and to mesh us together as a team better. What this means is an extended period where we will be at HQ. I have spoken to some of you about what your characters should be doing during this time, but if anyone's having difficulty finding something to write about then please let me know and I'll try and give you some guidance.

In order to get us working together better, Michael McKnight/Novus (Gavin's character) will be introduced to the group in my next post. After a short introductory sequence (the details of which Gavin knows, so he'll be able to guide us through that), each member of the team will enter into training with Michael (both group training sessions and one-on-ones), which will last however long it takes. Again, during this time some of you know what you need to be doing, if I haven't contacted you then either message me or play it by ear, get some character interaction going, and just try and develop your characters somewhat.

This training period is also the time when your abilities themselves and your skill in using them should be improving, I know a number of you have very concrete ideas about how your abilities will develop, again if you're having difficulty then let me know and we can bounce some ideas around. As an example, Magnus' abilities are already pretty strong, but with training he will be able to focus them in order to utilise fine motor control, and also how to do big stuff without expending all the excess energy he does at the moment (and to stop himself blacking out when he does something strenuous). He's something of a brawler in terms of strength of power, but he has very little experience with the smaller stuff, so that's the kind of thing he needs to learn. Similarly, if your character is powerful but with problems controlling their ability, then that's the area they will be training, or if your character is in a great deal of control with a slightly weaker ability, then they'll be attempting to increase their power. Some abilities may even change, and develop secondary abilities (although please contact me before you give your character anything along these lines) that, while different from the primary ones, are still intrinsically linked.

Also, as a side-note, make sure to read and remember Anomaly's latest post, there are some details in there which will be important to the rest of the RP.

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#000080"]Hey guys, I'm hoping to get a post up soon, just moved and getting settled in, kinda lost on what I'm supposed to be doing so if I can get a hint or what not I'd really appreciate it. Sorry for all the problems and what not...just hectic for me right now. [/color][/font]

No worries, [b]Knuckles' Girl[/b], stuff does tend to get in the way sometimes. Basically, if you just take a look at the post above yours it should give you a vague idea about what you should be doing, but if you have any specific questions then please feel free to PM me and we can bounce some ideas around.

Same goes for anyone who hasn't contact me already (although I think all of you have so far).

It's actually entirely up to Gavin as to who the training session is with. Myself and Gavin have discussed how the training is going to go, so I'd go by his next post.

Also, I've added a 'Teasers' section to the first post of this thread, so if you want to get some hints about the future of the RP then take a look there. It basically outlines the various plot strands and the mysteries we're going to be attempting to uncover, so it could be pretty helpful if you like that kind of thing!

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Not to give anything away but the first training session will be a group affair, after that Michael can either pick people or have characters come to him to look for training. If you have something specific you want to do, feel free to drop me a PM (CC DeLarge too) with what you want to cover and I'll do the best I can.

@DeLarge: Those are some interesting teasers.[/size][/font] Edited by Gavin

[quote=Gavin]If you have something specific you want to do, feel free to drop me a PM (CC DeLarge too) with what you want to cover and I'll do the best I can.[/quote]

This goes for all of you, for your own individual training sessions.

[quote=Gavin]@DeLarge: Those are some interesting teasers.[/quote]

Why thank you, I'm endeavouring to keep the RP interesting, and I [i]promise[/i] that if this RP continues to the end, the answers to all of those questions will be revealed.

[quote name='DeLarge' timestamp='1313277222' post='708892']This goes for all of you, for your own individual training sessions.[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Heh should've said you plural then I guess. But yeah, if anyone has anything they want to do, just drop me a PM.[/size][/font]

[b]I think I'll take you up on that offer soon, Gavin. Martian will need to test out her new boosters when she gets them. If they will be co2 tanks, she might have trouble being around sources of heat. So it will either be a new weakness or Geist might need to supply her with something else.

And thanks for the post Vongola. I'll post a follow up by tomorrow hopefully.[/b]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Sorry, meant to post last night but I just didn't get the chance. Probably won't be able to do so today either (had a lot of **** from college just fall into my lap today), so it'll be either very late tonight or tomorrow before I can make a proper post. Just for the training, if people would PM me a kind of brief summary of where their powers are at (what they can do and how well they can do it essentially) and where they would like to see them develop with training. Again CC DeLarge so he knows what's going on.[/size][/font]

Apologies for things being a little slow, I realise the situation I've placed us in at present is slightly on the limiting side. Once we're into the meat of the training then things should hopefully run a little smoother.

I will also be making sporadic posts from other groups of people within the RP as we continue. As you can see, I have just made one concerning what the Big Five are doing, and the purpose for this was twofold: firstly, it gives a few hints about where the story's going, and secondly it gives you an idea of the characters of the members of the Big Five so you will be able to write for their characters more effectively. In the near future I will also be making posts from the POVs of the Curator, Dr. Ambrose and a couple of groups of people yet to be introduced, so you all have that to look forward to!

Good work thus far people, keep it up and we should have a great RP on our hands!

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Ugh, sorry, I know I promise a post today but I'm going to have to extend it until tomorrow again. I swear, if I ever meet the person responsibility for my university's student administration, they will die a profoundly painful death.[/size][/font]