OtakuBoards

The Aurors Backstage

P.J. McKrafty

[center][size="7"][b]The Aurors Backstage[/b][/size][/center]

This is where you can post your questions about the RPG, as well as reference the past events in the storyline. I'll add more information and details as they comes up.

[size="5"][b]Timeline:[/b][/size]

[b]1995:[/b]
[list]

[*][u]June[/u] -The Dark Lord is restored to his full strength during the Tri-Wizard Cup.
[*][u]October[/u] - Dumbledoreâ??s Army is formed to teach Hogwarts students to defend themselves.

[/list]
[b]1996:[/b]
[list]

[*][u]August[/u] - Fall of The Ministry of Magic
[/list]

[b]1997:[/b]
[list]

[*][u]June[/u] - Death Eaters attack Hogwarts killing Dumbledore and setting themselves in power over the school.

[/list]
[b]1998:[/b]
[list]

[*][u]May[/u] - The Hogwarts Massacre
[*][u]June[/u] - The remaining Death Eaters assemble under The Dark Lord as he recovers from the Hogwarts Massacre.
[/list]

[b]1999:[/b]
[list]

[*][u]March[/u] - With his number bolstered beyond their previous strength, The Dark Lord seats himself at the head of The Ministry of Magic over Britain. His first order, to dismiss all enlisted Aurors.
[*][u]April[/u] - Half-bloods and Muggle-borns are ordered to be â??cleansedâ?? from society. Forcing many to go into hiding or take refuge in other countries.
[*][u]May[/u] - The last of the house elves are rounded up and returned to servitude.
[/list]

[b]2001:[/b]
[list]

[*][u]February[/u] - After three years without any former schooling to train the magical youth, Britain opens the Institute of Magical Tutelage, a heavily policed prep-school that keeps its students in enrollment form year one to year eight. Only letting the children out for Christmas. Attendance is mandatory.
[*][u]May[/u] - The British Ministry of Magic starts spreading its influence to other European countries.
[*][u]August[/u] - The first meeting of The International Magic Union is held, comprising of The heads of the worldâ??s separate magical governments, and a select few Aurors from each country.
[/list]

[b]2003:[/b]
[list]

[*][u]December[/u] - The Battle of Edinburgh is waged. IMU forced battle against Death Eaters for the last holdout in Europe. The city is decimated, leaving many injured or worse. IMU must retreat from Europe. Muggle authorities lay blame on terrorists.
[/list]

[b]2004:[/b]
[list]

[*][u]September[/u] - Strikes against IMU strongholds and safe houses around the world leaving them incredibly weakened.
[*][u]October[/u] - IMU goes underground to prevent losses, under the ruse they have disbanded. Leaving the only established meeting place a manor in Iceland.
[/list]

[b]2005:[/b]
[list]

[*][u]July[/u] - A letter from Neville Longbottom is delivered to Iceland via a rouge house elf.
[*][u]August[/u] - An extreme initiative is set into motion by the remaining heads of IMU, in hopes that they can locate and recover Neville Longbottom for the movement.

[/list]

[size="5"][b]Spells/Potions/Magic Items:[/b][/size]

We want to see some consistency as far as spells and charms go, so I will supply a database so that we all have a reference to go to when we are writing for our character's magical abilities. It is only understandable to want to add to the spell list and that is fine, I just ask that you either PM me or post your proposed spell on here so we can make sure we don't have anyone becoming overpowered.

Here's the link: [url="http://www.hp-lexicon.org/gate/magic.html"]HPL: Magic[/url] Edited by P.J. McKrafty

[url="http://translate.google.com/"]Google Translate[/url]

Recommended everyone keeps this handy throughout the RPG. Being and international task force there are bound to be instances of languages other then English.

Also, if anyone needs to make a spell, there's a Latin option that would probably be useful.

[b][u]CUSTOM SPELL LIST[/u][/b]
[u]Vana Somnium[/u] ~ idle dream
Causes hallucinations in the target. The hallucinations are less believable if there is more then one target and as the numbers of targets increase, so does the spells power over each individual target. Edited by Makurayami

[font="'Book Antiqua"]I know everyone already picked their wands, but for anyone looking to sign up, this might help: [url="http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/extrastuff_view.cfm?id=18"]http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/extrastuff_view.cfm?id=18[/url][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
I've been doing doubles this week and past weekend, so only could read posts via iPhone. I'll have one up this evening or early in the morning.

Does anyone have a website that contains the map layout for Hogwarts for our recon mission? I think it would be helpful for where we go and what not. I'll look for something when I get home and post it here if I find something.

Seeing as the castle has been partially destroyed, there really won't be a map online of [i]OUR[/i] layout. Just stick to what you are familiar with from the books and the movies. I'm sure as long as we steer clear of adding any waterslides or a Ferris wheel we can stay on track.

So would it be possible to add a section to the initial post of this thread that contains all of the player made spells? The name and a basic description would be useful, I imagine. If I'm alone, though, [i]no es una problema[/i].
Also, I added the form of my patronus under the skills section of my character sign-up, just in case at some point in the future we're attacked by Dementors. You never know.

[b]I'm having some issues with the google translation program, I agree with Vongola's idea about the individual spell listings, but when I tried to translate my own spell in my first post, "[i][b]lingua [/b][/i][/b][i][b][b]res", it gives me another translation that the original one I looked up.

Anyone else having a problem with the program as well? It could be me.
[/b]
[/b][/i]

I think the program sometimes suggests words with multiple meanings, as well as translates the words directly, instead of considering them a full body of information. Also, some latin cases are the same, so it might not know which to translate when you put it back into the translator.

For instance, lingua looks the same in the nominative and the ablative, and can mean tongue, language or a number of things related to speaking. And res looks the same in a number of its declensions, and can mean thing (like en media res, "in the middle of the thing"), or matter (like res publica "matter of the the public"). I think the translator might be having difficulty sorting everything, haha.

What was the meaning you were aiming for? I might be able to help. :] Edited by Vongola

[quote name='Vongola' timestamp='1313108310' post='708865']
I think the program sometimes suggests words with multiple meanings, as well as translates the words directly, instead of considering them a full body of information. Also, some latin cases are the same, so it might not know which to translate when you put it back into the translator.

For instance, lingua looks the same in the nominative and the ablative, and can mean tongue, language or a number of things related to speaking. And res looks the same in a number of its declensions, and can mean thing (like en media res, "in the middle of the thing"), or matter (like res publica "matter of the the public"). I think the translator might be having difficulty sorting everything, haha.

What was the meaning you were aiming for? I might be able to help. :]
[/quote]

To be honest, I wasn't sure how to do the first post on the RPG so I decided to have others talk in their native language and have my character use a spell to translate. Originally It was suppose to be a translation/language spell. But I honestly forgot the actual item I typed, but I know it was suppose to have "tongue" in it. I just forget the "res" part to be honest.

Well, for the spell you could use 'Intellige lingua', which would be a command, "understand language/tongue". And I totally understand the confusion, what with all of the ethnicities of the characters. In addition, it would be a pretty nifty skill if you ever came across a parslemouth.

Haha so far I think it only works for human language, species though....dunno. Would be cool as hell though haha. Hey I'm thinking about posting next just to push things along, any objections from anyone? I got the next two days off so might as well add something.

Hey there fellow aurors. I don't mean to be picky, and I've never asked anyone to change their description of my character before, but the nagging, feminist side of me won't shut up.

I signed up with Mai because I noticed that no one else had created a woman character and, in my opinion, a strong women make stories better.

Because of that, I'd like to ask a favor of Shwa: Can you please change your description of Mai? For example, she wouldn't hold LeCrosse's hand.

It's my fault. I've been on vacation in Las Veas since Sunday, and with only one previous post, I haven't had the opportunity to develop her character.

For everyone's future reference though, Mai's definitely more of a pacifist, but she's so intelligent and perceptive that she's an excellent judge of when she needs to act offensively or defensively. She's not meant to be a b**** per se, but she can be outspoken and you always know her temperament... And a man patronizing her in any way would certainly set her off.

Hopefully, I'll get a post in tomorrow when I get home so everyone can get a better idea of how Mai behaves, but just keep in mind that she's been with the IMU for quite some time. She may not have seen as much battle, but all of our characters have shared experiences and Mai wouldn't be in the group if she couldn't handle herself.

Shwa, PM me if you'd like more specific details about your most recent post. And I hope that everyone would tell me if I don't depict your characters accurately. Edited by Darren

Darren and I have conversed and got things settled out, so all is well :-3.

New post is up, I was expecting someone else to post but since it's been a couple of days I got greedy, sorry but I'm liking where this is going so we can't let it die so easily. Some background info on my character, so hopefully we'll see that more with the others and continue on the mission, just an added note to get deep into character depth (as discussed with Darren). Hopefully we'll be more active this week.

I'll be putting up a post soon, sorry about the delay but with the new semester approaching everything's been a little haywire.

EDIT: Also, added a custom spell list to my first post in this thread. Figured the list would be better closer to the top of the thread then just shoved away near the bottom. Edited by Makurayami

[quote name='Shwa' timestamp='1314604730' post='709158']
I think this story died...lame :-/.
[/quote]

Thanks Shwa. I'm pretty sure the story hasn't died, but rather people have found that their personal lives are taking up a lot of time. I know that's the case with me, but I'm totally fine with moving at a slower pace since that's all I can do at this point.

That being said, I don't really care what group Mai is in. As long as we finish the mission; we haven't even found out what Neville has to say yet.

I believe that we are all equally offended at Shwa's comment, but we will save that conversation for a later date. That being said this was never planned to be a rapid pace RP, this RP has a lot of people who are going to school and have jobs to pay rent and the such, so we post as we can.

As far as the teams go I will just go ahead and assign groups and we can go from there. Hopefully I will be able to get a post in this weekend, but don't let that deter you from posting in the meantime.

[u]Room of Requirement[/u]:
Myself - Ewan Finlay
Vongola - Cid Lucientes
Shwa - James Heartwell

[u]Dungeons[/u]:
Makurayami - Akil Bakr
Darren - Mai Lee
DeLarge - Alexis LeCrosse

You have your assignments, so roll out Autobots!