OtakuBoards

When You Wish...

Orcus

[i]29 May 2015[/i]
[i]Seacrown Palace, Kingâ??s Private Chambers 1030[/i]

[b]â??Good morning motherâ?[/b] the king said swallowing the last of his pastry [b]â??Breakfast?â?[/b] Sabinâ??s breakfast spread was quite impressive. Three different kinds of muffins, oat rolls full of fruits and nuts drizzled in honey, cherries and apples were arranged around a bowl full of cream, and in the center was a layered parfait decorated with blood orange slices and granola.

[b]â??No, I ate before my jog this morningâ?[/b] Erin said quite pointedly, sitting in the chair a servant had pulled out for her. [b]â??You arenâ??t even dressed yet and the meeting starts in a half hour, itâ??s a rare occurrence for all your captains to be gathered together and you have much to discuss.â?[/b]

[b]â??Like why itâ??s still black as night when itâ??s almost midday? I doubt my military leaders will be able to tell us.â?[/b] Sabin looked over his shoulder and out the opened double doors that lead to his balcony. He could still feel the ocean breeze and the heat of the day but neither sun nor stars hung in the sky. [b]â??Forcing them to sit together in a room for a little while longer wonâ??t hurt anything. Itâ??s been almost half a year since some of them have seen one another, maybe if they actually communicated the realm would have fewer woes. I swear itâ??s like Iâ??m leading ten different armies.â?[/b]

[b]â??I think you are confusing feasting with leading. You might have rallied the Survivors and lead them to this â??paradiseâ? but itâ??s been ages since you were involved with military exploits.â?[/b]

Sabin grinned [b]â??Thatâ??s no way to speak to a king. And Iâ??m sure you remember Iâ??ve done my fair share of fighting. Thereâ??s not a settlement along the east coast that doesnâ??t know of the Survivors and their battle prowess. Iâ??ve heard stories from people outside the Rosewood from traders and whatnot. Iâ??m practically a legend- the indomitable warrior king who single handedly created the safest and most prosperous region in the country.â?[/b] He took a few giant spoonfuls of the parfait and piled in into a bowl. He caught his mothers stare [b]â??I always giving credit where credit is due, I couldnâ??t have accomplished all of this by myself but the tall tales of the east say that I did. I have a thousand and one titles in a thousand and one stories. Iâ??m called the Warden of Life, Light of the East, Life Binder, Messiah, King of Thorns, King in the Woods, Heart of the New World-â?[/b]

[b]â??Sabinâ?[/b] The name still felt strange to her. Erin would rather call him by the name she had given him [b]â??I know what people say. I know of your titles, the good and the bad. Its true people flock to Seacrown to pledge fealty to you, embracing you as their leader so they might start a new life in the Rosewood, but you have strayed off topic. It has been many many months since you were the warrior leader these stories portray you as and longer still since you where this indomitable warrior.â?[/b] Erin knew that within the past year Sabin had been pushing his responsibilities on to various council members and it had created a power vacuum that handfuls of people where trying to fill. For Sabin sake as well as her own she had been acquiring as much influence as she could. The political aspect of being king never seemed to cross Sabinâ??s mind so she had taken it upon herself to play the game for him.

Oliver opened the door to the room, entered dropping down to one knee [b]â??Your Highness, the captains of the Wardens have all gathered in throne room and are awaiting your presence.â?[/b]

Erin had never been more grateful for anything more than Oliver. Sabin had been schoolmates with Oliver since childhood in New York and after the Fall Oliver, Sabin, and herself were the only survivors in their area. The Survivors began with the friendship between Oliver and her son. As their powers developed during their march southward it became clear to Erin that the Oliver and Sabin where not even in the same realm of power. She had never encountered or heard reports of an Ascended as powerful as Oliver. He became the captain of the kingâ??s personal guard at her request; both of them realizing the danger that so many power hungry people who â??servedâ? the king posed. Oliver could protect her son in more ways than she and if Sabin was to be the Heart of the New World Erin was to be the brain and Oliver the muscle.

[b]â??I suppose I should go get ready for this meeting then.â?[/b] Sabin heaved himself to his feet and strode across the room to his closet (which was bigger than some of the servantâ??s quarters in the palace). [b]â??I will be out in a minute and we can walk down together.â?[/b]

Erin crossed to the room to the full length mirror to refastening her hair clip. The days leading up to the Fall her greatest wish had been for her youth and having survived the Fall her wish was granted. She had celebrated her 87[sup]th[/sup] birthday 5 months ago though the person looking back at her couldnâ??t be older than 21. She was curvy, only about 5â??4â??â?? and 130 lbs., with flowing brown hair that had the same sheen to it that Sabinâ??s had. Her skin was darkly tanned and she had ice blue eyes. Today she wore a skin tight dress made from white silk with a deep cut neck and slits up the sides of her legs revealing all the way up to her mid thigh, crossing the slit were thin golden chains shaped like vines that matched the decretive golden rose that was on the front of the dress, stitched with cloth of gold. Her heels were made of white leather straps adorned with a golden rose on the center of her foot.

[b]â??That was an impressive display in court Sabin gave usâ?[/b] Oliver said in a hushed voice. [b]â??Who were those R.S.L members? I checked the recordsâ?¦ and I donâ??t think all of them were actually working on the E2 drug. Three of them were stationed under Chief Agnusâ?? Cardinal Rehabilitation until a few months ago, specifically keeping watch of your husband.â?[/b]

[b]â??The department that produces the medicines for our people have been developing a drug that removes the abilities of Ascended, one of the R.S.L that got sentenced was the chief of research for said drug, Carter I think his name was.â?[/b] Erin turned to face Oliver [b]â??It was hard to track down who was sponsoring the drug but eventually I traced the money back to Lord Ferris. The three scientists from Agnusâ?? department that I had transferred to Carterâ??s were also indirectly on Ferrisâ?? payroll. And youâ??re right, they were tasked with watching my husband. I donâ??t need Ferris in control of that great sloth. I might have given up hope that Agnus will find a way to reverse the transformation but my son has not, and views that monster as his father. Ferris could have tried to take advantage of that fact so I replaced his watchers with my own men and had his transferred to Carterâ??s department where the whole lot were framed for helping that drug lord create E2.â?[/b]

Oliver looked confused [b]â??So E2 steals powers?â?[/b]

[b]â??No, E2 is just a recreational drug. The drug that Carter was working on isnâ??t listed under his projects itâ??s something heâ??s doing on the side, using our resources to try and completeâ?[/b]

[b]â??So who made E2?â?[/b]

[b]â??Hell if I know. Iâ??m not really concerned about E2â?[/b] Erin crossed to the table and ate a cherry.

[b]â??Well bravo my lady. You managed to free your husband from Ferrisâ?? grip, put a stop to a drug that could potentially be used to undermine your sonâ??s rule, and remove a bunch of Ferrisâ?? pieces from the board.â?[/b] Oliver finally seemed to understanding [b]â??Less pieces means less moves Ferris can make. And if Sabin were to be depowered everything would fall apart, he canâ??t restore life to the world if he doesnâ??t have the power tooâ?¦ but Sabin didnâ??t sentence Carter to death what if-â?[/b]

[b]â??I have already done away with his research so his lackeys canâ??t follow in his footsteps. And we donâ??t need to worry about Carter, he was sentenced to spend a decade on a ship chasing pirates in stormy waters. Iâ??m sure something unfortunate rid us of himâ?[/b] Erin looked at Oliver right in the eye. Oliver instantly knew that this doctor Carter was a dead man.

Oliver helped himself to a cherry as well [b]"Are you sure you're not being [/b][b]paranoid?"[/b]

[b]â??What are you two whispering about?â?[/b] Sabin emerged from his closet with a grin on his face. As usual he was handsomely dressed.

[b]â??Nothing dearâ?[/b]

[b]â??Your mom was just nagging me about increasing your personal guard to twenty menâ?[/b]

[b]â??Mother mother mother, Oliver is strong enough to collapse an entire building with nothing but his mind. I donâ??t think I need to waste eight more people on my guard. Letâ??s go down to the meeting.â?[/b] The king held out his arm for his mother to take. [b]â??If you werenâ??t half my age weâ??d make a stunning couple.â?[/b]

[b]â??I donâ??t know man, sheâ??s still your momâ?[/b] Oliver said as he opened the door for his friend. Sabin grinned. Edited by Lawliet

[font=georgia,serif][i]28 May 2015
Phénix, City Hall Meeting Chamber, 1212[/i][/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??Yo' a lia'. Rafale would neve' do that.â?[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Susanoo's words caused Cerbero to feel...Uncomfortable. When Addley had killed and abandoned the body of Rafale, a man dear and beloved to her, she had felt immense sorrow and disbelief. Since donning her Cerbero guise she had tempered those emotions, but she knew that the other Mentals would be just as devastated when they were informed, and Susanoo's outburst confirmed that. But to be called a liar... As if she had murdered Rafale, without a reason... Cerbero grimaced slightly behind her mask before responding.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??You're right. Rafale would never do that,â? she responded, the taste of bile rising to the back of her throat as she spoke. â??But he did. And I believe this is why.â? Cerbero reached into her pocket and pulled out the crumpled, slightly singed note which had fallen from Rafale's robes and tossed it to Susanoo.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??Rafale was carrying this letter on him when he visited my apartment. Likewise, I decided to visit his,â? Cerbero stated, as she reached into her other pocket and pulled out a handful of additional letters, which she passed around the table. â??All of these letters are addressed personally to Rafale, have the same handwriting and are written in the same blood.â? Everyone in the room tensed at that last word. From the back of the room Varg, officially a member of their cabinet now, sniffed the letters and confirmed that they were written in blood. Erycina looked up from her letter with fear in her eyes.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??But why? What does this mean?â? she asked. Cerbero leaned forward in her seat and interlocked her fingers.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??I'm not sure,â? she admitted. â??Although the writer obviously possesses ill feelings for me and the city, at no point does he incite Rafale to take action against me. Although he continued to contact Rafale, not once does he mention his own name. We can't be sure if the blood belongs to him or someone else. And when I picked up the message earlier, I felt an odd sensation...â?[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??So wha' yo' saying is at all we 'ave to explain the unexpec'ed betrayal of Rafale are an 'andful of le'ers you found wri'en in [i]someone's[/i] blood?â? Susanoo interjected. Cerbero narrowed her eyes at the girl.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??Yes,â? she stated simply, although she didn't appreciate the implication hidden in Susanoo's tone. Susanoo stood up from her seat and tossed the letters at Cerbero.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??That's a load o' ****! For all we know you coulda' forged these aftah you murdah'd Rafale. And all because he didn't agree wiv' your idio'ic decisions!â? Susanoo spat venomously. She was of course referring to a disagreement Rafale and Cerbero had been engaged in over the prior weeks. Over the last couple of months, Cerbero had agreed to welcome in Phénix refugees from various cities, but particularly from the slums surrounding what was referred to as â??the Pinnacle.â? The people from these slums had been horribly oppressed by their leader, known ominously as â??the Masterâ?--unfortunately this was all that Cerbero knew about him, as his people were too afraid to discuss candidly anything regarding the Master. Rafale disagreed with her decision. He feared that accepting political refugees would ultimately lead Phénix to war; oddly enough, he had also argued that by accepting these people Cerbero was impugning the autonomy of the Master. Regardless, Cerbero would not be dissuaded, and so the quarreling ceased. Then Cerbero admitted the Bersekers into the city, and it began again; this time Rafale feared that the extra citizens would drain the city's resources, and reasoned that either the Berserkers or the refugees would have to be dismissed from the city. Once again, Cerbero opposed his requests.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??Enough Susanoo,â? Cerbero barked, tired of the girl's insolence. Susanoo had been steadily becoming more antagonistic toward Cerbero, and Cerbero was well aware of the reason. When years ago the Mentals had decided to elect one of their own as the face and leader of the city, Susanoo had quickly shirked away from the responsibility, as did the others for one reason or another. Thus Addley stepped forward and shouldered the burden, as well as the power that came with her position. From this moment on Susanoo harboured a distrust of Addley, partially because Susanoo coveted the power and prestige she had cowardly sacrificed, and partially because she felt that Addley was too eager to assume the position. She may have been right on that accountâ??Addley had volunteered for the duty because she desired greatness, to become more than another nameless person floating through existence. But as she developed into Cerbero, these naïve and selfish aspirations molted away. Both Addley and Cerbero were freed from personal restraints now; her every action was tailored to the needs of the city. Susanoo's concern was ill-conceived and ultimately detrimental to the well-being of the Mentals and the city.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??I didn't gather you here to listen to childish accusations,â? Cerbero continued, although her eyes were still looked scornfully on Susanoo. â??We have been successful thus far in securing the city but the Nightmares are still attacking, and they've caught the attention of some Revelations. While the two groups keep one another occupied, we need to fortify the city. Jinn and Neptune, I want you to head to the outer wall. Jinn, cut off the Cardinals' land path by creating a flaming ring around the city, and Neptune reinforce the wall with spires. Varg, you and the Berserkers will join Erycina and I on the ground level, protecting civilians and destroying the remaining Cardinals as well as any that sneak into the city. And Sobek and Susanoo, I need you on the rooftops, striking down any flying Cardinals who enter into our airspace. Am I understood?â? she questioned, particularly at Susanoo, who was still fuming. Everyone responded with a curt â??Yes, Madame President,â? save for Susanoo who merely nodded her head with indignation. Cerbero turned her attention to Erycina and offered her a hand.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??Shall we?â? she asked. Erycina nodded and the two ran for the streets. The situation was as dire as Cerbero expected; despite the ocean of Cardinal bodies they had littered across the city, still more were venturing in and the people were running through the streets frenzied. Cerbero motioned quickly for Varg to gather up the citizens and then turned to face the Cardinals. She shot a spear of lightning through the body of the nearest Nightmare, splitting its chest wide open and frying the Revelation it had been combating as well. Behind her, Erycina emitted a heavenly glow to attract the creatures and then incinerated them with concentrated beams of light. The two navigated the streets back to back, searing through whatever Cardinals they encountered, until finally they were backed into an alleyway and surrounded. Cerbero looked at Erycina and squeezed her girlfriend's hand.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??Duck,â? she commanded. As soon as Erycina's head was level with Cerbero's waist, Cerbero drew her arms into her body and then quickly stretched them out, releasing a forceful gust of air from each hand. The wind soared down the alleyways, lifting up trash cans and dumpsters and flinging them into the Cardinals. Below, Erycina eyed whichever Cardinals were still standing and sniped them. Once the alley was clear, Eyrcina stood up and faced Cerbero.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??When did you trade out Jinn's fire for Rafale's wind?â? she asked curiously, and slightly more accusatory then she had intended. Cerbero felt her heart skip a beat and without answering, lowered her gaze slightly. Erycina realized a moment too late how Cerbero had perceived her question and quickly motioned to apologize, but Cerbero cut her off.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??Once I knew it was Rafale and that he was definitely dying, I absorbed his ability as well. We couldn't afford to lose his skill,â? she reasoned. Erycina nodded with approval, relief shining in her eyes. That Erycina had been apprehensive at all caused Cerbero the same discomfort that Susanoo's statement instilled earlier. She knew that once her mask came off, her discomfort would morph into feelings of shame, hurt and misery. [i]Luckily her Cerbero duties were far from complete[/i] she thought, as what appeared to be a Kindness Revelation swooped down from above, aiming for her and Erycina. Before it could strike, Varg's Wolf Warrior form leapt over Erycina and Cerbero and stabbed the creature in the chest with his claws. The Kindness Revelation thrashed around on the ground, attempting to wrap its jagged, razor blade arms around Varg, but he was too powerful. After only a few seconds of struggling he dug both of his claws into the creatures chest and tore the Revelation in half. When he was sure his opponent was dead, Varg released a loud howl, which was echoed by the other Berserkers spread throughout the city. Cerbero smiled at the spectacle and placed her hands on her hips.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]â??I think we made the right decision, allowing them to stay here,â? she said to Erycina, who nodded approvingly.[/font] Edited by Orcus

[font=times new roman, times, serif]28 May 2015[/font]
[font=times new roman, times, serif]Medical Research Facility, Ravenloft 1300[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]With the sudden darkness that shadowed the world upon the remaining human society, riots and rampage broke out in smaller towns and villages during Francis' travels to Ravenloft. The hunter aided as best he could to ward off enemies and predators of the night that stalked at all hours, but with their sense of night and day now only reduced to night, they roamed around freely near heavily populated regions. During his travels, the hunter himself almost met his maker a couple times during wrong routes to the medical city, routes once safe for travels now crawling with Nightmares ready to kill at a momentâ??s whim. Francis' skills kept him alive, but there were too many close encounters for his liking to the vast city of Ravenloft, thankfully, even with the many setbacks; the hunter finally made it to the outer walls of the city. Finding rest and shelter from his long travels, Francis indulged in the lavishing food and entertainment the night before he would have to address his case to the leader of the city. Morning time rose quickly, but the once bright and invigorating sun that everyone sought out for would not show once again, but still, the city thrived with life, their security measures heightened while the civilian population roamed about the streets and carried on with their business. Walking down a well-lit avenue, Francis came upon a large building and looked upwards; it reminded the man of buildings in Baltimore before things were as they were now, extravagant and one hell of an eye sore. Signing with content, the man walked inside and proceeded to the third floor. Entering the long corridor, he noticed that even though this facility was not a hospital facility, it was very well lit and looked spotless from head to toe. Turning a corner, Francis saw a woman sitting at a stationary desk full of paperwork and phones ringing one by one, whatever her position was, she was well prepared and qualified to handle the hustle and bustle.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]"Excuse me. Do you know where I can find Doctor Adler?" The young woman smiled and nodded.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]"Are you Francis Lattimore from Lily Pad?"[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]"Please, call me "Aqua". Yes, I'm here on behalf of |Lady Heather and the City of Lily Pad[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]â??Of course Aqua, the doctor is expecting you inside the research facility. A messenger hawk came yesterday from Lady Heather informing us of the situation. I presume you have a sample of your cityâ??s water handy?â? Francis nodded as he reached into his pocket and presented a small vile full of ocean clear water. The woman smiled as she took the sample and stood from her chair. â??Please, if you will follow me to the labâ?. Both walked through a set of double doors that lead down a short hallway towards a metal sealed vault, the woman entered several coded before a sharp hissing noise, slowly the vault opened into a dimly lit research facility. Scientists in hazmat and regular wear both roamed around the buzzing facility, carrying samples and charting their note from their findings. It only took moments before Doctor Adler made himself known.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]â??Ah, Rebecca, is this the young man from Lily Pad?â? He approached the two, adjusting his glasses and extending his hand; Francis took it and gave a strong grip.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]â??Iâ??m Aqua from the city of Lily Pad. Thank you doctor for assisting us in this time of crisisâ?[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]â??We owe a lot of our natural water shipments and carrier hawks Mr. Aqua, Iâ??d be more than happy to help in any way I can. I understand time is of the essence, so letâ??s see what we can findâ? Rebecca handed the doctor the vile, upon external examination, it seemed to be nothing more than crisp drinking water, but the doctor was no fool. Taking a small sample and placing a droplet between slides, he placed it underneath a microscope and eyed the specimen closely. He, along with two other scientists took about an hour collaborating their notes before confronting Aqua.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]â??Anything you can tell me sir?â?[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]â??What we have here is something Iâ??m slightly puzzled on, there are small bacterial traces of a broken down fungus that seems to multiply at an alarming rate within an hourâ??s time. At first I thought it only to be a subtle change with the chemicals we used, but its stationary and rapidly growing. Mixed in with human tissue, it begins to break down the white blood cells and acts like a virus. But, only problem with this fungus is its incubation period. It has noneâ?.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]â??What do you mean?â? Aqua raised an eyebrow.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]â??Once it attaches to a dead cell, itâ??s there until contact with another one. Usually it would take minutes to at least an hour before going to the next strongest cell, but it seems to send out spores and they start the process all over again. Almost in seconds, the hostâ??s body is completely infected.â? Doctor Adler flipped through his papers more as he reviewed his notes. â??Unfortunately, we donâ??t have all we need to make an antibody to combat this kind of wide spread attack, what we can do now is make an alternative for thatâ??ll at least suppress the fungus, but it wonâ??t be for long. I know itâ??s dangerous out in the world now with this strange darkness Phenomenon, but if you can manage to venture to Phenix, I know some of their wine vineyards are specially fertilized, itâ??s a long shot but I believe we can kill this spread with some of their techniques for growing wine.â?[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]â??Itâ??s a long shot doctor, but Iâ??ll just have to take my chanceâ? Aqua nodded and shook the doctors hand once more.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]â??Be careful out there, Iâ??m sure you had trouble on your own just getting here with all the darkness. Iâ??ll make sure youâ??re equipped with what you need for safe travels. Itâ??s a long journey, so stock up. Iâ??ll inform Lady Heather of the news right awayâ? Aqua nodded as he left the lab and the building at once to prepare for his journey. A couple hours later, he was strapped with a small, yet accommodating backpack full of medical supplies, camping gear and snack for his trip towards the west. His arrows were fully stocked and his bow cleaned from Nightmare blood from his previous battles while traveling. Still, the outside world was as black as a stallionâ??s coat, but the hunter had no time to worry about that, his mission was his priority. Finally ready, the hunter sped off into the distance, bow in hand as he started his journey. [/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=3]30 May 2015[/size]
[size=3]210 miles south of Caras 13:45[/size]
[i][b][size=3] [/size][/b][/i]
[size=3][i][b]â??This darkness persists; will it ever come to an end?â??[/b][/i] War loosely hung on to the reigns of Ruin as he galloped across the landscape. His hooves tearing clumps of grass and foliage from the ground, scorched patches of earth left in the wake of the war horse. War was sitting up straight in his saddle as he looked at the world covered in the perpetual darkness; an unnatural stillness was always present as the remaining animals no longer had a means of telling night from day. The Nightmares, however, had grown in numbers and in ferocity since the darkening began. Attacking any and everything in their path, War had come across more than his fair share of shredded corpses and destroyed caravans. The most unsettling was his short time he had spent in the town of Caras, the simple Horsemen controlled trading town and the occupants being plagued by the ever growing nightmare threat. War kept his eyes on the horizon, or what his optics determined was the horizon, and tries to listen for any noises coming from the sporadic trees and bushes that appeared on his journey.[/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3]He scanned the darkness as often as he could, knowing that at any moment his situation could change and leave him in yet another fight for his life. He wasnâ??t concerned for his own safety, his armor had maintained itself well through each skirmish he had encountered since his departure from the town of Caras, but the memories of that place were determined to try and break down his barriers in his mind. Gnawing at the walls like the collection of Pride, Envy and Gluttony Cardinals had down to Caras, his own soldiers had maintained the walls for days before hand. Keeping the city safe for as long as it could while trying to keep the bandit clans and their savage ways at bay and maintain a sense of order in the utter blackness that now was everyoneâ??s reality, one that wasnâ??t going to relent in the foreseeable future. War lowered himself in his saddle, no longer feeling the need to scan for any approaching threats as Ruin continued his forward push through the night. Warâ??s mind finally began to recall the events of the night almost two days ago, or was it two nights ago? The question was no longer relevant as everything belong to the night, his mind rewinding the clock for the Horsemen known as War.[/size]

[size=3] [/size]
[size=3]29 May 2015[/size]
[size=3]Caras, 09:12[/size]

[size=3]The battle had last for 24 straight hours now, only minor respites were given to the warriors of Nephilim as they did all that they could to prepare for the next assault from the ever bolding Nightmares. All of them doing any sort of weapon maintenance to try and give them the edge against the creatures born of this endless night. War walked through the ranks of his soldiers, seeing them sitting and taking shelter from the harsh wind and concealing their location to try and surprise the next wave, his eyes floating over them all as he saw the learned rituals. He could see some gathering ammo from the supply depots they had scattered in Caras, though half of those starting numbers had lost their firearms in the first assault and had now resorted to their swords, clubs, spears, knives, and anything else they had that could provide the defense they needed. Some had even pulled out shields that had been given to them in boot camp; it seemed that all of the shields had been altered over their time of service. Whether it was some form of weight distribution, or adding a strip of spikes down the center, they all were unique to the carrier. This would save their lives for a little bit longer, maybe long enough for something to happen, long enough for Warâ??s signal to have reached Nephilim and called in some sort of reinforcements. War was still holding his sword, his grip having never relaxed even when out of combat, one of his soldiers had met her demise as a rouge Cardinal had wormed its way past the carnage and attacked her. [/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3]Leaping from the piles of bodies, it had revealed itself as a Gluttony, clamping down on her body with its massive jaws, shredding her armor and it swung her in its jaws as she had flailed and screamed. Her weapon arm swinging at the awkward angle it was at as best she could, the axe sinking into the creature before it reached up with one of its appendages, the only way War could describe what the creature used for eating its prey. It used its appendage to grasp her flailing arm and rip it from her torso, tossing it aside as it continued to shake her more violently, its massive hooked teeth ripping her skin and body apart into red chunks. Eventually snapping her neck with the force, ending her misery quickly, but not quick enough to save her from suffering her fate, War had been the one to slaughter the Gluttony with a few quick sweeps of his blade. He had come to know that the girls name was Tannis, a name he hadnâ??t heard before and a name he wasnâ??t sure he would always remember. Though, he knew his soldiers here would forever remember all the ones who had fallen today, if any of them survived the endless night. The loss of several soldiers was but a buzz in the ear of War, though his own troops seemed to suffer as their morale seemed to weaken and fade. War could only try to imagine what they were thinking; something that he had separated himself so far from that it was almost an unfathomable task for his mind. Every life lost was just simply gone rather than having a ripping effect on his soul as he could see in the eyes of the Horsemen. All of these thoughts and conceived notions of emotions and souls was beneath him and the original Horsemen.[/size]
[b][i][size=3] [/size][/i][/b]
[size=3][b][i]â??Or is it, beyond us?â??[/i][/b] The question echoed in his mind for just a few short moments, but had all the power it needed to start something within him that he wouldnâ??t identify until another time. For now, another wave of monsters was coming, the sword in his hand called to battle, and he was going to sate its thirst for combat. He could hear the sounds of the creatures coming at them from all sides; he knew this would be the fight that would be the last push for his troops; they would either come out with a victory, or fall into the dust. He moved around the bulwarks and could make out the tangled mass of what was the approaching Nightmare horde, what kinds didnâ??t matter as much as that his numbers were less then thereâ??s. He may equal 10 men, or 100 nightmares, but it eventually wouldnâ??t be enough if all of his support was eradicated. He heard them light clinking of metal plates moving and the rustling of shields as they arranged into a solid shield wall, something that would buy them precious time. War was in front of the wall of metal, seeing the red shapes coming closer he let the question fade from his mind and his resolve solidify into cold rage and the hunger for battle. He raised his sword into the air, the dull glint of orange light glinted off the blade as he heard a simple clang of weapons on shield, and no voices were raised as they could see this might be there end. They would give nothing to their enemy, and take everything they could from this world before they faded into the abyss. War lowered his blade, getting into his stance as he planted his feet firmly into the earth and gripped his blade tightly. He could already feel the pressure of the crash of bodies, the deafening roar of the Prides and the scrap of their claws on his armor. [/size]

[size=3]Time seemed to stand still as they all waited for the wave to crash into them, the anticipation always the worst feeling for all of the soldiers of Nephilim, or for any man or woman across the world. It was the moments before that showed who the lions were and who were the lambs, the ones who would run from the fight and those who would stand and fight with all their might. Warâ??s optics began its calculation of distance, the number quickly ticking away as flew across his eyes, the number falling from quadruple digits, to triple in a flash as the horde surged forward. He could only stand so much more of this before his other hand reach down and pulled a long knife from its place, the need for another weapon had come across him. As if they were his claws and teeth and this is what would save him from the Nightmares, he heard the hollow thump of metal on the ground as the shield wall suddenly dispersed. Each soldiers drawing two weapons, the few that had firearms held that in one hand with a knife, axe or sword in the other while the others followed Wars example or brandished two handed halberds, great swords, Falchions and spears that could be wielded as such. The decision had been made; this was to be their last stand, no matter what happened now. [/size]

[size=3]They would all fight, and they would all die but they would take every last one of these Cardinals with them. The waiting was over with as War started walking forward, the platoon following him. Starting off at a walk at first, it started to pick up quickly as he went from a slow walk to a trot, then to a run, then to a dead sprint as he held his great sword before him. They were all still silent as they charged; the expenditure of energy to roar at these faceless monsters was just a waste they could not bear. The number still rapidly counted down, the distance shortening faster with their charge until War was sure they would clash any moment. Their world was suddenly enveloped in a bright light, causing all things on the ground to stop to shield their eyes from the sudden burst of light. Hands went up to protect eyes, heads turned down as huge gusts of wind whirled up and created dust devils that swirled with unknown power. Then the light was replaced with a greater flashes of orange and reds, a concussive wave buffered War and his soldiers as they staggered back from the explosions. The screams and screeches of the Nightmares lost in the deafening shockwaves that pushed at everything around, expanding further and further as the flashes intensified for several moments then completely vanished. Leaving behind only a billowing cloud of black and gray that was instantly lost in the night sky.[/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3]The soldiers of Nephilim all looked up as the ringing left their ears, their eyes seeing what had arrive in stunned silence. They all rose up as once in a cheer, their weapons held up to the sky as War looked to the source of the blinding light. A grin crept on to his face from under his helm as his thoughts were reinvigorated and brought back to thoughts of bringing the world under control once more.[/size]

[size=3] [/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3]War pulled himself from his own mind as the sounds of the world around him crept back in, Ruin still galloping at its constant pace without any direction from him. He had also noticed that Ruin had changed directions ever so much, pushing just a few degrees off. He was about to pull his steed back to its designated course when he caught sight of something burning, the distinct orange glow of something ablaze. He tightened his grip with one hand on the reigns and pulled his sword free with his other, the gallop picking up to a dead run as the glow grew brighter. His audio sensors soon picked up the distinct sound of humans, the voice patterns registering across his vision as the lines bounced up and down to determined different pitches and voice being used. He could hear several of them; all of them had the undertone of creating dark intentions. In the mix of the dark voices, he heard the soft voice of someone else, a young child from what his sensors could perceive. It was enough to get him to charge faster as the soft voice let out a scream, the glow a bright blaze now as Ruin busted through the trees of the growing forest.[/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3]War had no time to reign in his war horse as he could only see the image in small clips, enough to see corpses scattered about, caravans being looted then burned by men and women clad in leathers and tattered coats and jackets. He was about to pinpoint the source of the scream of the child, a small figure crawling on the ground to escape the carnage and the madness of her world. The chilling laughter of dark thoughts crept form the throat of one man, though it would be the last sound he ever made as Ruin stampeded through the group of bandits. War found the source of the laughter and drove his sword forward, the blade jamming itself deep into the manâ??s body before exploding out the other side. He leapt from the horse, releasing the blade from his grip and twisting through the air to land with a loud thud on the ground. Drawing a long knife and double edged blade he charged forward, twisting and turning as he avoided and dodged crude axes and clubs, lashing out with his own weapons to cut throats and gore his new enemies. The grate over his mouth released with a hiss as he let out a roar, the pitch dropping then raising quickly to cause disorientation in the assailants. The grate closing once more as War slashed at another arm, cutting the limb clean off before turning a colliding his metal boot into the bandits chest. The form lifting from the ground and bouncing across the ground as the Horsemen charged into the fray of confused men, throwing the double edge knife in his hand at another before jamming the long knife in the top of a womanâ??s skull. Releasing the knife he pulled several smaller blades free, no cross guards on the handles, throwing all of them with his maximum strength. The blades that made contact with bodies sank all the way up to the end of the grip; other smashed into trees or vanished into the foliage. [/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3]He surveyed the situation quickly, assessing the numbers that were left to find that only four remained standing. Three had brandished crude hand-to-hand weapons, determination and fear clearly showing on their faces as the last one showed a semi-automatic handgun, leveling it at War. He began to walk forward, his stride confident and his posture was straight as the three with the hand weapons all parted out of his path, taking the chance to flee from the bloody scene. The lone man holding the gun quacked before pulling the trigger, the flash and the loud bang resonated throughout the forest as it struck War square in the chest. His progress slowing for just a moment before he resumed his steady walk, another round firing off as it impacted his armor once more still he walked. The bandit pulled the trigger as fast as his fingers would allow each round ringing out as it collided and bounced off of Wars armor. War took his last few steps, hearing the audible click of the empty clip in the handgun as he towered over the figure. The fear palpable in the eyes of the bandit as War quickly took hold of the banditâ??s throat, the gun forgotten as he used both hands to pull at Wars hand as he was lifted from the ground. [/size]

[size=3]Brought face to face with the cold metal expression of the Horsemen of War, the Sword of Nephilim, the red gaze seeming to pierce into the heart and mind of the quivering human. His voice came softly from behind the helm, his voice distorted with an electronic tone.[/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3][b]â??We see all that you do; we know everything that transpires in this wild world. Tell everyone of the Horsemenâ??s reach, and preach to them of what has occurred here today. No force on this earth can stop us, no matter how strong you think you are.â?[/b] He released the man, his legs unable to support him as he fell hard on the ground, scrambling away from War before turning and finally running away. War turned back and started walking, Ruin standing near the small person that had created the scream he had heard. Looking down on the small form, he could see that it was just a little girl, her hair long and colored a deep brown. Her clothes were dirtied and tattered and tears were welling up in her eyes as she stayed close to the war horse. He kneeled down to the shaking girl, staring at her for several moments as he felt something deep within try to rise up and remind War of something from a time long before his ascension. But, the feeling was just enough to keep him from walking away from this child, to leave her to die. Instead, he did something out of his character, something he would have never considered beforehand. [/size]

[size=3]He reached out to the girl, one massive hand held out palm up with the fingers relaxed, staring at her through the hue of red before the little girl reach out slowly. Taking his hand he pulled her forward and until she let go of his hand and wrapped her arms around his neck, pressing her face into his shoulder. He stood from his kneeling position and mounted Ruin without any words spoken, reigning in Ruin and turning south once more; the war horse took off in a dead sprint. He held on to the little girl as he raced home, back to the city of Nephilim.[/size]