OtakuBoards

Oldies & RPGs

James

A recent discussion made me think about our RPGs...one of the reasons I'm happy that OtakuBoards still exists is that the RPGs are all still there (although I'm not sure how many have survived with their formatting intact).

Anyway, I know that I participated in a ton of unfinished RPGs (I guess most of them were).

Just a general query...are there any "oldies" around who still have any interest in going back to those? It may be short-lived...and incredibly surreal...but I think it'd be fun!

It would be especially interesting to go back to an older RPG and dive in, after a few years away from it - either we'll be very rusty or our writing skills will have improved (for me, it's definitely the former).

Any thoughts?

If this does take off and the formatting is broken, let me know. I'm sure I can find some way to enable HTML or whatever it will take to make them look right if I know what I'm looking for!

But we already made another Padded Room Party.

That doesn't count!

Hehe.

The Padded Room Party must be the longest surviving thread in OB history...right?

The two RPGs I'd think about re-starting are the second Almagest one...and the second Maverick Hunters one.

I think a couple of you were in Almagest? (Boo?)

I'd be up for a spin.

Almagest is very dear to me, although I don't remember where we were going with it. If I recall we were in the process of 'wrapping up' to set the stage for a third Almagest, which is probably bonkers.

There were a lot of other unfinished RPGs I participated (and started.) I'm probably more guilty of leaving these unfinished than anyone.

- Josh!

I always figured Almagest was too excellent for me, and I'm pretty sure that I was rejected for the original Maverick Hunters for lack of any quality whatsoever. Luckily for all of us, I'm awesome now. 

NAME: UNKNOWN.

Race: Epic.

Weapons: Pen & paper. And a vintage typewriter. And flashy boots.

Bio: Ran away from home the moment he was born because he was TOO AWESOME.

It was a dark, dark night, the night we are only now allowed to witness. Rain poured, lightning struck, and dogs howled. All of this could not keep our protagonist from wandering the streets of deserted LA. The rain didn't bother him for a second. His manuscripts were all tucked away nicely in a waterproof compartment of his bag, and his hair had been a mess anyway. The name plate he had worn today at the convention had become unreadable rendering him nearly anonymous, if it weren't for his flashy boots. Red and gold - the male equivalent of Wonder Woman's boots, he'd call them. Gay, most others called them. But most others weren't here right now. Most others were safely, cowardly, at home, in their comfy chair, with their big Starbucks® mug of hot chocolate and marshmellows, watching the current season of The Voice, confusing themselves with the question of whether Shakira is a better coach than Christina or not. Most others weren't on an adventure.

Today had been a busy day. Busy with the socially accepted connotation of 'good'. People had come to listen to him speak about his latest comic book, some even asking him to sign their copy. Pictures were taken, laughs and contacts were shared, and a fistbump occurred. None of this was out of the ordinary. He'd done this before. Of course, every time was slightly different, and every time was exciting all over, but it is what it is. So what he didn't expect was something extraordinary to happen just then. 

He had been halfway through telling a joke he told people after his talks when he spotted a mysterious stranger at the end of the line of people wanting to share a moment with him. He hadn't thought much of it, but it had been enough to ruin the punchline. Luckily the girl infront of him had the courtesy to laugh nonetheless, and they quickly, clumsily, said their goodbyes. The next people were all part of the same, weirdly clad group. They had loved the talk, and his views on contemporary issues. No, they didn't currently have cash to buy the book, but they would order it online. Thanks, appreciate it. Bye. When they left, somehow everybody left his immediate surroundings with them. Everyone except for the mysterious stranger.

Hallo, said the mysterious stranger, and handed him a hand-written note. The note distracted him shortly, and as he looked up to greet the mysterious stranger, all his face met was yet another Deadpool, excited to discuss some important issues with him. He tucked away the note for later, and took out his I'm a writer pen to tap his lower lip with. Oh yes, I do have an opinion on Obama's new thing. What was it again?

Edited by Boo

I may not be as old or as tenured as you peopleâ??you ... weird leadersâ??but I also sometimes wish I was still involved in a game.  OB RPs gave me a constant push to imagine back in college, and having only recently revived my active writing, I notice it's a little harder to hunker down and churn things out when you know you have no audience waiting.

I have mostly good memories about the old Theater thread.  Some of fun discussions had over story directions, some of sitting back and laughing at all the soap operas that invariably developed in the backstages.  But if I were to go back to any of them? 

Hm.

Well, I've always been fascinated by the concept behind the Death Card series that Sandy brought to us, to the point where I wanted to try running my own, but I still think there's a fair bit of bitterness surrounding the name here, and it's much tougher to start running something somewhere else when you don't really have any time (or, let's face it, inclination) to invest yourself in becoming known and trusted again.  Other than that, though, I think the three I miss the most are This Is Earth and Gifts & Curses II, both from the brilliant (AND ABSENT, DAMMIT YOU ENGLISH WENCH) mind of Vicky, who will always be one of my favorite people, and the ill-fated but intriguing semi-magic Victorian drama (at least intended to be, I think) Masked Agenda, created by 4815162342, which was basically stillborn but which holds the distinction of having my favorite created character ever.

SD still exists in my mind.  I may reverse and begin writing it myself one day, just to go back and play up some of the other characters and set down some necessary foreshadowing.  I will never understand how a throwaway game I joined on a whim got so intense. Good times, though.

Edited by Allamorph

I'd be up for a spin.

Almagest is very dear to me, although I don't remember where we were going with it. If I recall we were in the process of 'wrapping up' to set the stage for a third Almagest, which is probably bonkers.

Yeah I think we were looking at that... Almagest 2 kind of started to lose its focus (like all RPGs I guess!)

I still remember a couple of the things we were going to explore in a third edition...but the question is, do we continue working on the second one and maybe take it in a different direction?

After all, there would only be a couple of us involved now. 

I don't think I'd necessarily count as an 'oldie', but I frequently think about the RPs of days gone by, and even made a start on putting together some 'redux' versions of my old ones: 'The Throwaways' was one of my favourite stories to put together, both writing the in-universe posts and all the behind-the-scenes machinations as well; and I was keen on giving it another crack possibly with some different players involved, but my schedule (and the subsequent inactivity in the Theater) kind of killed that idea.

Either way, the Theater in general holds a very special place in my heart and I'd be more than happy to lend a hand in reinvigorating it, in one way or another!

Cool. Good to see some interest!

I was re-reading Almagest Expedition on Friday - I have to say, it has aged pretty well! The writing is really strong; I found myself really enjoying it.

In fact, I'm not sure if my writing now is as good as it was then! Haha.

Having said that, it may be tricky to finish that one...maybe we do need to start a third...

Otherwise we'd have to really find a way to awkwardly change the scope a bit I think. When I re-read it, I'm finding it hard to place all the characters.

Any thoughts? Shy? 

If the majority of main characters are not to be found anymore on the boards, then it would be safe to say to reboot the idea, but keep what key players that you have as NPC or references during the game.  

If the majority of main characters are not to be found anymore on the boards, then it would be safe to say to reboot the idea, but keep what key players that you have as NPC or references during the game.  

Yeah, good idea.

Maybe I can think about writing a bit of a "story so far" post, which will bridge from the old RPG to the new tail end that we can write (I think it would be good to finish off Almagest Expedition if possible, before starting something new).

Other than that, I'd be up for an entirely new RPG; I just haven't seen any at the moment that really strike me (what does impress me though is that a few of you are still committed to writing them!)

Other than that, I'd be up for an entirely new RPG; I just haven't seen any at the moment that really strike me (what does impress me though is that a few of you are still committed to writing them!)

I've noticed that a game's success ends up depending solely on the strength of creative desire of its players, rather than simply its subject material or theme, or even the skill level of the players.

Incidentally, what sort of stuff does draw your interest?
Edited by Allamorph

But we already made another Padded Room Party.

I wish I was still a Super mod so I could shut it down all over again  :wink:

Personally I would love to "get the old team back together" and give it a try. I'm a lot older and wee bit wiser now (so I look back on some of my older RPing efforts with a cringe...  Not that they weren't fond memories ofc), and the message board format works well for me as my free time is sporadic. 

Having said that, it may be tricky to finish that one...maybe we do need to start a third...

Otherwise we'd have to really find a way to awkwardly change the scope a bit I think. When I re-read it, I'm finding it hard to place all the characters.

Any thoughts? Shy? 

After reading through some of it again I remember where we were going with certain details. However, I'm still really confused about placing certain characters within the story, Perhaps a post could summarize things a bit and launch into the next Almagest, but then we have to begin the conversation about what that RPG would look like. Part of the appeal of the original was the large, unwieldy cast of characters... I'm not sure I have the time to manage all of that again.

- Shy

An RPG called GOD-MOD Inc. where everyone is overpowered, just does whatever they want in whatever universe they want and has complete powers over everybody. Shy can let everyone sing his musical songs, while Allamorph can mope around pretentiously and James can be a general nice guy trying to do the Almagest thing.

And Flash can be a Super-Saiyan, while Shwa is a werewolf and ceteras.

Yeah. Totes. 

Honestly I wouldn't mind getting back on board with an RPG. It's been years since I wrote with others (and honestly, years since I wrote). I existed in a different sphere to the rest of the more active oldies, but it would be nice to get some creative outlets happening again, even if it's just a page or two a week.