OtakuBoards

Senior Otaku

CaNz

Des, I think you and Petie are both probably right. Honestly, I can't remember. The one thing I remember is that the change had to happen - that is, we didn't have a choice from an OB perspective.

I'm just really thankful that we had you guys there to support the change and keep OB intact. I think that moving between platforms is a bit traumatic for a lot of reasons, not least because it has largely destroyed much of our historical formatting on RPGs and such.

It makes me happy to know people actually miss the Caramelldansen skin. I still have all the files for it, and every now and then I look through them and remember that week I spent furiously working on it.

I never knew that you made it! I have to thank you for at least a good six months of smiles whenever I tabbed over to that pink and star studded masterpiece.

I think I looked into that when we first switched to IPB and it would've been a huge pain due to differences in how IPB handles line breaks in posts messing with the HTML. I'm sure it would be possible, but it would probably require rewriting a good bit of the post templates.

Btw, I still have this screen shot of the Caramelldansen skin if you want to relive a bit of the magic. It's not really the same without the animation, though. :sad:

Thanks Des! Now that I think about it I am not sure when I will have time to sit down and do it next... not having a working computer is harsh. I am tempted to just buy a battery and fix my old one and then wait longer on my new one.

I think I looked into that when we first switched to IPB and it would've been a huge pain due to differences in how IPB handles line breaks in posts messing with the HTML. I'm sure it would be possible, but it would probably require rewriting a good bit of the post templates.

Btw, I still have this screen shot of the Caramelldansen skin if you want to relive a bit of the magic. It's not really the same without the animation, though. :sad:

This post made me totally happy. 

Haha, yeah the whole size 1 thing became really significant over time. It's funny how some font styles actually make me think of specific members here!

One thing I'm a bit sad about is how the updated IPB has trashed our old formatting; it can't be helped, I know, but some of those old RPGs had really elaborate designs/layouts.

^^^^^^^  So much this.  What make it worse is that the people I think of as OB family were out of here before the decline. I am still friends with a great many of them through other outlets.

But to go with the topic that start the thread and seem to have ended long ago, I could have sworn I had so many more posts that what I've got... This site was my first real foray into the world of the internet  Hell, every 30 days my college roommate and I would trade in AOL email to keep being online for free. Yep, I'm so old, I lived on dial-up internet. I'm glad that it had such high standards. It pretty much spoiled me for the rest of the internet. I long for punctuation, Internet!

I'm not that old yet... but I used AOL and had dial up. remember when you couldn't use the phone when someone used the internet? Or AOL gave out friggen update cds! past internet was nuts.

As for punctuation, an ex-girlfriend drilled some habits into me. At times I do fall back into my primal state of ending sentences with an enter key

It does save time... but looks weird in a non-IM setting. Also I hate that girl and she ruined my life. (or a small part of it)

Yeah, I don't think the site would have survived without Boo.

:)

omgthatwasmyfavouriteversionofOBandthatmp3playerwouldvebeenperfectforthepodcast

That is a fantastic thing to think! You must continue to think that way, I insist!

:(

Yeah, despite the way the site currently looks...I think there's no value in going back and fiddling with the old stuff. It took a lot of work to get onto IPB relatively intact; I think you and Petie did a really great job to keep the site preserved as much as possible in the transition.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe you guys are still here. I can't believe I let life get so away from me that I left. This site was my life and even though digital, the place I grew up. I'll always miss the Christmas headers, and My Neighbor Totoro, but it's honestly so nifty to see how the site has morphed over the years.

It does seem like the site has taken quite a few losses in terms of the old crew, but I wouldn't be surprised if everyone stopped by to visit someday, just like you did. 

Edited by CaNz

• 3 weeks later...
It's sad this place declined. I enjoyed theotaku a lot but I don't go there much anymore. All there is to do is look at fanart or post fan art. If you don't do digital these days trying to do fan art is mute. I miss theotaku that had things like anime reviews, show soundbytes and such. Now it is just a dead chat and fan art with silly quizzes that usually make no sense. The worlds are nice but I would get more review/feedback on what I write on facebook or tumblr than what I would posting in a world. I miss the simple times where we just had a forum and aim chat to communicate.

• 3 weeks later...
I only read a portion of this thread, way too much for me to read right now.

This place was hoppin' back in its hay day, and I do miss that. Although I wouldn't want to go back to being fourteen again though. I miss trolling the net for various DBZ websites and trying to mimic their site layouts in my digital art. I loved looking at awesome artistic site layouts. Eh..but that's off subject. I do agree, with all the other forms of social media communication message boards are taking a beating.

I used to get on OB chat, I wasn't necessarily a regular though. But it was pretty busy back then.