OtakuBoards

"We're working on it" = "You're not getting jack"

Syk3

As gaming magazines collect their demos of the raw games of many companies and systems, there is one company who will not give out anything at all. This is, ironically, Nintendo. Whether this means that they are falling way behind on getting their games out, or if they think this is all going to be a big surprise, they are slowly but surely getting a new reputation in the gaming world as being a lazy company. Why won't they share their plans? Why are they hiding their preview games? Why arn't they letting their finished games be reviewed by gaming magazines before released in stores? This is something we are going to have to figure out on our own fokes, if Nintendo doesn't tell us what is going on.

I don't know if Nintendo is getting a reputation of being "lazy" as you put it. Rather, they are very secretive. As EGM stated, the Japanese parent company is protective of its assets and they're willing to hide everything from the press so that their unfinished products won't be judged by the public.

Hehe, I seriously doubt that Nintendo(a company with a reputation for making quality titles over quantity) would become lazy during the biggest console war in history.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]I don't know if Nintendo is getting a reputation of being "lazy" as you put it. Rather, they are very secretive. As EGM stated, the Japanese parent company is protective of its assets and they're willing to hide everything from the press so that their unfinished products won't be judged by the public.

Hehe, I seriously doubt that Nintendo(a company with a reputation for making quality titles over quantity) would become lazy during the biggest console war in history. [/B][/QUOTE]
Ok, then lazy may not be term to describe Nintendo. Then what would be a word for a system which gaming magazines have no idea if they are even MAKING any new games? There is a lot of mystery here.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Gohan [/i]
[B]
Ok, then lazy may not be term to describe Nintendo. Then what would be a word for a system which gaming magazines have no idea if they are even MAKING any new games? There is a lot of mystery here. [/B][/QUOTE]

I guess that either secretive or protective would be a couple of good words to describe them.

[B]

I guess that either secretive or protective would be a couple of good words to describe them. [/B][/QUOTE]
Ur miscrambling my words!!! LOL...I believe, however, that a company should be able to show what they hav without having to be enbarrased about anything. I mean, whether or not the public knows about the games before they come out, it does not affect how good the game is. They should be confident enough about their games to share with the public. Or else, how do we kno that they are doing good or not?

Well, most of the nintendo fans were flying on blind faith during the N64 era...there were no Demo CD's for that because they were all cardridges...the GCN is no different. I guess they don't want to spend extra money on making their special 3 inch DVD's or...as previously stated, they want to surprise us. Plus they might not want anyone to be overly biased before the game is actually released..."try it for yourself and then decide what you think is good or not..."

[color=indigo]Nintendo doesn't want people to see their games before they're released... I don't see anything wrong with that... I think being "secretive" is fine, as long as the games are good. As long as the games keep the same quality that Nintendo is known for, they can do anything they want and I won't mind.[/color]

It does seem like they are lazy as far as the number of games that have been released for the GC in the amount of time it has been on the market. I have noticed in EGM that the PS2 releases a lot of new games every month. And the GC only releases a handful of new games. Compared to the competion they are progressing very slowly right now. But that might just be because they focus more Quality games rather than Quanity.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kizu [/i]
[B]It does seem like they are lazy as far as the number of games that have been released for the GC in the amount of time it has been on the market. I have noticed in EGM that the PS2 releases a lot of new games every month. And the GC only releases a handful of new games. Compared to the competion they are progressing very slowly right now. But that might just be because they focus more Quality games rather than Quanity. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, there a couple of problems with what you said. You can't really judge how many games are in development by EGM because Nintendo isn't giving EGM a whole lot to work with. Furthermore, we're still pretty fresh off of the holiday season. I'll bet you a nickel that once Summer rolls there'll be a lot of quality titles(Star Fox Adventures, Wrestlemania 2001). I'm such a mark for wrestling!

And you say that compared to the competition they are progressing slowly? I have an Xbox and there's not a darn thing to play either besides Raw and the initial games(already have Max Payne for PC). Playstation 2 has been out for quite a while and has a larger user base, so it's a little unfair to judge.

[B]

Well, there a couple of problems with what you said. You can't really judge how many games are in development by EGM because Nintendo isn't giving EGM a whole lot to work with. Furthermore, we're still pretty fresh off of the holiday season. I'll bet you a nickel that once Summer rolls there'll be a lot of quality titles(Star Fox Adventures, Wrestlemania 2001). I'm such a mark for wrestling!

And you say that compared to the competition they are progressing slowly? I have an Xbox and there's not a darn thing to play either besides Raw and the initial games(already have Max Payne for PC). Playstation 2 has been out for quite a while and has a larger user base, so it's a little unfair to judge. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]I agree completely. Kizu, you absolutely wreak of fanboy. ;)

For every good GameCube game, there are three poor PS2 games and ten terrible Xbox games.

And since most people are only buying maybe one or two games a month, it's not like it's such a terrible loss. :) When summer rolls around, you'll really be eating your words (as now is traditionally the calmest time in the gaming industry, meaning - no releases).[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=royalblue]I agree completely. Kizu, you absolutely wreak of fanboy. ;)

For every good GameCube game, there are three poor PS2 games and ten terrible Xbox games.

And since most people are only buying maybe one or two games a month, it's not like it's such a terrible loss. :) When summer rolls around, you'll really be eating your words (as now is traditionally the calmest time in the gaming industry, meaning - no releases).[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Always bashing the 'station and the 'box, eh? God, u kno the GameCube is no different. They are about the same. I'm not saying ps2 or xbox is better, but i m not saying gc is either.

Anyway. I ges no one is siding with me, so in conlusion, i ges gc is being "secretive," and they just want fans to be surprised. Fine, whateva...

[B]
Always bashing the 'station and the 'box, eh? God, u kno the GameCube is no different. They are about the same. I'm not saying ps2 or xbox is better, but i m not saying gc is either.

Anyway. I ges no one is siding with me, so in conlusion, i ges gc is being "secretive," and they just want fans to be surprised. Fine, whateva... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]I'm not particularly saying that the GameCube hardware is superior, I'm talking specifically about games.

As for the "game shortage", I do agree that there is a shortage of software at the moment. But the same is also largely true for PS2 and Xbox as well (though probably less so for PS2).

This just isn't a big sales period for consoles at the moment. This time of the year is always the most quiet time. Come summer, you will definitely see a lot of big game releases. :)[/color]
[QUOTE][B]
As gaming magazines collect their demos of the raw games of many companies and systems, there is one company who will not give out anything at all. This is, ironically, Nintendo. Whether this means that they are falling way behind on getting their games out, or if they think this is all going to be a big surprise, they are slowly but surely getting a new reputation in the gaming world as being a lazy company. Why won't they share their plans? Why are they hiding their preview games? Why arn't they letting their finished games be reviewed by gaming magazines before released in stores? This is something we are going to have to figure out on our own fokes, if Nintendo doesn't tell us what is going on.[/QUOTE][/B]

[color=royalblue]Let me address this bit by bit, shall I?[/color]

[QUOTE][B]As gaming magazines collect their demos of the raw games of many companies and systems, there is one company who will not give out anything at all. This is, ironically, Nintendo.[/QUOTE][/B]

[color=royalblue]How can you assume that Nintendo won't give out anything at all? Nintendo is actually very cooperative when it comes to dealing with magazines and online publications.

The reason Nintendo isn't as forthcoming? Oh, that's easy. SEGA continually blabs about everything it's doing, and the result is that Sony comes out with a better (yet similar) product a short time later. Funny, isn't it? Nintendo deliberately keeps its mouth shut so that its competitors don't steal its ideas. Good plan, I'd say (despite the frustration to gamers).[/color]

[QUOTE][B]
Whether this means that they are falling way behind on getting their games out, or if they think this is all going to be a big surprise, they are slowly but surely getting a new reputation in the gaming world as being a lazy company.[/QUOTE][/B]

[color=royalblue]How do you know that they are getting this kind of reputation in the gaming world? Have you surveyed other game developers? Or have you interviewed many gamers to get their opinions?

I doubt it.

In actuality, Nintendo tends to have a reputation as being one of the world's most innovative game makers. That said, anyone who knows about the industry (even if they don't like Nintendo's games), will also understand that Nintendo keeps its ideas very secret until the last minute, in order to avoid having competitors steal ideas. Nintendo is the last company to be considered lazy -- Shigeru Miyamoto had to miss several important expos during the development of Ocarina of Time to ensure that it was finished. He is now supervising more than 30 in-house projects. If you want to call that kind of dedication lazy, go right ahead. :)[/color]

[QUOTE][B]Why won't they share their plans? Why are they hiding their preview games? Why arn't they letting their finished games be reviewed by gaming magazines before released in stores?[/QUOTE][/B]

[color=royalblue]Lemme go down the list:

1) As mentioned, they won't share their plans because they wish to avoid having their ideas stolen by competitors. This is a more common occurance than you might expect.

2) They aren't hiding their preview games. Nintendo will be revealing Zelda and Mario Sunshine at E3 in May this year -- well ahead of release date (which will be later in the year).

3) Nintendo do let finished games get reviewed by magazines before release. I don't see how you can come up with this question -- Nintendo doesn't hold back completed games from being examined by gaming media. They've never done it, and I doubt they ever would.[/color]

[QUOTE][B]
This is something we are going to have to figure out on our own fokes, if Nintendo doesn't tell us what is going on.[/QUOTE][/B]

[color=royalblue]With all due respect, I think most people who visit these forums have worked out the basics. Everyone here would understand that Nintendo keeps its ideas close to its chest - this is the secret of a successful gaming company.

You should read up more on Nintendo so that you have a better understanding of how the company operates. Nintendo isn't doing anything differently in a business sense to the way it has behaved with N64 or SNES.

Unless you're a shareholder, you don't need to know what's going on. :) Nintendo releases information when it feels that the information is accurate and when the game previews themselves are in a playable state. Unlike some developers who merely reveal a game at some 10% completion level (and then the game totally changes upon release...or ends up being crappy), Nintendo prefers the first impression to be a good one; that is, they reveal a game when it is at a stage where it is ready for public consumption and where the fundamentals of the game are prepared.

In the end, I would rather know less...and have better games as a result, than know every detail and end up having something which perhaps doesn't meet my expectations.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Yep, that's all right... although I didn't understand any of it :whoops:

I think Nintendo can release information on their games and new things when they want because, as James said, SEGA come up with a cool idea and blab it, then Sony takes it. That's why Nintendo is succesful because they don't get their ideas stolen.

Although, they invented the D-Pad, the shoulder buttons and the analogue stick, every other video game company stole 'em. They basically invented video-gaming. This comes from a reliable magazine and I am [i]not[/i] just being a fan.[/SIZE]

[B]*sits in a ball in the corner sucking his thumb* Fine, be like that. Always picking on ps2 and all. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]I suspect that you haven't read a word I've said (or haven't understood any of it).

I'm actually a PS2 supporter -- I own a PS2 and I'm very pleased with it. I believe I also mentioned that PS2 wasn't suffering from lack of games to the extent of GameCube and Xbox...

Picking on PS2? If you say so. :)[/color]

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]no i think he is one of those anti-nintendo people
he seems to have a lot of nintendo is doing bad threads, while prasing the PS2
i support both the GCN and PS2 because they both have good console games
i dislike the x-crap cause it is a computer not a decent console game on it. Halo is so a CC or WC/SC ripoff... and that is the only good game on the system some decent but not good
he just doesnt like being wrong but yea lol
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kuja [/i]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]no i think he is one of those anti-nintendo people
i dislike the x-crap cause it is a computer not a decent console game on it. Halo is so a CC or WC/SC ripoff... and that is the only good game on the system some decent but not good
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey now, I don't want to turn this into another GameCube vs. Xbox thread, but some of the things you said put you on a lower level yourself. If you don't think that there are other good games, then you obviously haven't played Max Payne, NBA 2K2, DOA3, New Legends, Jet Set Radio Future, Genma Onimusha, Project Gotham Racing, or NFL2K2. That list of games includes both good and [I]great[/I] games. Also, stating that the Xbox is like a computer is as unacceptable as claiming that GameCube is a children's machine.

Let's try as gamers to look at the industry fairly. You should actually hope that the Xbox improves. I'd rather have three great consoles out there than just two...

[B]

Hey now, I don't want to turn this into another GameCube vs. Xbox thread, but some of the things you said put you on a lower level yourself. If you don't think that there are other good games, then you obviously haven't played Max Payne, NBA 2K2, DOA3, New Legends, Jet Set Radio Future, Genma Onimusha, Project Gotham Racing, or NFL2K2. That list of games includes both good and [I]great[/I] games. Also, stating that the Xbox is like a computer is as unacceptable as claiming that GameCube is a children's machine.

[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]I think Kuja was primarily talking about first-party software. And let's face it, Microsoft is dead in the water in this regard.

Third party software is, as always, a different issue.

With regard to the PC comment, I must disagree. The games on GameCube are no more "kiddie" than they are on Xbox -- the only difference is a general lack of gore/violence in GameCube games. I'll challenge anyone to prove me wrong on that point.

Secondly, the Xbox IS essentially a stripped-down PC. Now, that isn't necessarily a statement designed to bash the Xbox. Many would see this element of the console as a positive aspect (especially with regard to online gaming and such). But the fact does remain that the Xbox is the most "PC-like" of any current generation console, particularly in a technical/hardware sense. Whether or not this is a bad thing is truly up to the individual gamer.[/color]

[B]

[color=royalblue]I think Kuja was primarily talking about first-party software. And let's face it, Microsoft is dead in the water in this regard.

Third party software is, as always, a different issue.

With regard to the PC comment, I must disagree. The games on GameCube are no more "kiddie" than they are on Xbox -- the only difference is a general lack of gore/violence in GameCube games. I'll challenge anyone to prove me wrong on that point.

Secondly, the Xbox IS essentially a stripped-down PC. Now, that isn't necessarily a statement designed to bash the Xbox. Many would see this element of the console as a positive aspect (especially with regard to online gaming and such). But the fact does remain that the Xbox is the most "PC-like" of any current generation console, particularly in a technical/hardware sense.
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

That clears a lot of things up; unless of course he indeed [I]was[/I] talking about third party software as well. As for the PC comment; it's completely correct that the Xbox is very similar to a PC in the hardware sense. I just interpreted the comment to mean that the Xbox is the home of countless PC ports. In that respect, there are more PS2 ports than anything.

But Xcrap? :laugh: Pfffft.......yeah...that sounds [I]just a little[/I] negative.

As for challenging you on the blood and gore issues...I won't be the one to accept [I]that[/I] challenge. I would lose any credibility I had on these boards as a mature gamer if I attemped. This is primarily due to a simple example: I prefer Street Fighter to Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat, even though it has blood and gore, has an easier gameplay style to master. Even though Street Fighter lacks blood; I'd say it's the more adult game. You see, I'd be contridicting my own tastes...

[B]

That clears a lot of things up; unless of course he indeed [I]was[/I] talking about third party software as well. As for the PC comment; it's completely correct that the Xbox is very similar to a PC in the hardware sense. I just interpreted the comment to mean that the Xbox is the home of countless PC ports. In that respect, there are more PS2 ports than anything.

But Xcrap? :laugh: Pfffft.......yeah...that sounds [I]just a little[/I] negative. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Ah yes, I think we're mostly in agreement. :)

I also agree that the Xbox gets more PS2 ports than anything else -- though it is still the home of PC ports in the game console world. Especially as there aren't a huge amount of PC ports going to other consoles at the moment (though a seemingly larger amount month by month on PS2).

As for the Xcrap remark lol...everyone is entitled to their opinion. :)

And let's face it...the Xbox does leave a lot to be desired. For those of us (you included) who have no doubt seen the gaming industry flourish since its infancy...we can pick out a pretender when we see one. In this context, the Xbox is hardly a "true gaming machine". But once again, that doesn't really matter to the mass gaming populace...so it's really a non-issue for most people.[/color]

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]actually... CWB was more right... i mean none of the games he listed are in the 10 top sellers in target, walmart, bestbuy, toyrus, and one other store... i mean GBA has 4 GBC has 2 GCN has 3 and PS2 has 2/3 and xbox sometimes slips in halo instead of the third PS2 one... thou how the hell pikmin makes first is beyond me... i guess cause it is in stock ;)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[B]

[color=royalblue]I suspect that you haven't read a word I've said (or haven't understood any of it).

I'm actually a PS2 supporter -- I own a PS2 and I'm very pleased with it. I believe I also mentioned that PS2 wasn't suffering from lack of games to the extent of GameCube and Xbox...

Picking on PS2? If you say so. :)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Geeze, it just means I hav nothing else to say. Sure I read it and understand it, i just don't kno what to write back.
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kuja [/i]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]no i think he is one of those anti-nintendo people
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]
Hey! I own a N64 and GBA myself, so i m not bashing nintendo. I do not hate them. I just prefer ps2 because at the moment I am finding better games (IN MY OPINION) and because I can use it as a DVD player. GameCube is still good though. A WHOLE lot better than that xbox trash.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowGohan [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]I am beginning to not understand this thread, oh well :)

Gohan, why would I bash the PS2 when I have one and I think it amzingly good? Why? ....

I can't understand... :([/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]
It wasn't necisarily that u wer bashing it, it was more that u wer saying that nintendo was better, it being the one that gave sony it's "life" in gaming. That nintendo pretty much invented gaming.