OtakuBoards

"We're working on it" = "You're not getting jack"

Syk3

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Gohan [/i]
[B]
It wasn't necisarily that u wer bashing it, it was more that u wer saying that nintendo was better, it being the one that gave sony it's "life" in gaming. That nintendo pretty much invented gaming. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Nintendo didn't really invent video games, but it [i]did[/i] pull the industry out of a VERY large slump, when it came out with the NES... Without Nintendo, The PSX and PS2 probably [i]wouldn't[/i] exist. And not just because Nintendo pulled the gaming industry out of a slump, but because the only reason Sony made the PlayStation was to get back at Nintendo for switching to Philips at the last minute, for their SNES add-on (which was never released). And Btw, when Nintendo was still working on that SNES add-on with Sony, guess what it was called... Yep, that's right, it was called the PlayStation.

Nintendo did invent the + Control Pad (with the Game & Watch series, I think), but I'm not so sure about the analog stick. Besides, there have been joysticks on arcade games for a lot longer than the N64 has been around, even if they weren't analog.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B]
[color=indigo]Nintendo didn't really invent video games, but it [i]did[/i] pull the industry out of a VERY large slump, when it came out with the NES... Without Nintendo, The PSX and PS2 probably [i]wouldn't[/i] exist. And not just because Nintendo pulled the gaming industry out of a slump, but because the only reason Sony made the PlayStation was to get back at Nintendo for switching to Philips at the last minute, for their SNES add-on (which was never released). And Btw, when Nintendo was still working on that SNES add-on with Sony, guess what it was called... Yep, that's right, it was called the PlayStation.

Nintendo did invent the + Control Pad (with the Game & Watch series, I think), but I'm not so sure about the analog stick. Besides, there have been joysticks on arcade games for a lot longer than the N64 has been around, even if they weren't analog.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Yep, correct. Nintendo [b]are[/b] objectively "better" than Sony in terms of the company's contribution to the video game industry.

Shigeru Miyamoto invented the D-Pad. When it was first released, many said that it would fail...and that it was a pointless waste of time. Yet now, everyone from SEGA, to Sony to Microsoft have copied Nintendo's groundbreaking innovation.

I wouldn't say that Nintendo "invented" the analog stick, but Nintendo were the first to introduce such technology to a game console. The introduction of the analog stick was a major development -- which saw Sony produce the Dual Shock controller later in the PSX's life in order to catch up.

And yes...the PlayStation would not exist without Nintendo's development efforts. PlayStation fans can thank Nintendo for laying the groundwork of the PlayStation's technological base. :)[/color]

[B]Wait, if the control pad was "invented" by nintendo, and the joystick was questionably "invented" by nintendo, then what was used to move on previous systems? [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Ever played the Atari 2600? I have one, and one of the types of controllers has a wheel and a single button on it. Then there was a joystick, a lot like the ones on arcade games, which also had a single button on it. And I think there might have been one or two other types of controllers, too.

Here's a picture of an Atari 2600 with a joystick controller:[/color]

[SIZE=1]Yeah, Atari kid of invented the joystick, but Nintendo made it smaller so you could use it with your thumb (analogue stick on the N64). Since then, every single console that's come out after the N64 had an analogue... funny that isn't it ;)[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowGohan [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]Yeah, Atari kid of invented the joystick, but Nintendo made it smaller so you could use it with your thumb (analogue stick on the N64). Since then, every single console that's come out after the N64 had an analogue... funny that isn't it ;)[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]
Playstation and it's joystick came out before the nintendo 64...

[B]
Playstation and it's joystick came out before the nintendo 64... [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]The PlayStation came out before the Nintendo 64, but I'm pretty sure that the Dual Shock controllers for the PSX came out after the N64. I don't remember ever seeing a Dual Shock controller in the stores, until after the N64 was released.[/color]

[B]
Playstation and it's joystick came out before the nintendo 64... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Incorrect.

The PlayStation came out before the Nintendo 64, but if you'll remember, it came out with a standard controller (that is, it had no rumble...and no analog sticks).

However, several months after the Nintendo 64 launched, Sony realized that its original PSX controller was far inferior to the N64 controller in terms of features (sticks and rumble), and also realized that analog sticks were required for a deeper 3D gaming experience.

Thus, Sony then released the "Dual Shock" controller. Originally, this controller was just an option. But after a few months, more games began to use the device and thus, Sony included it within the box of every new PSX sold.[/color]

[SIZE=1]I find that a bit unfair... because everytime a new console comes out, companies drop their old consoles and work on a new console which is nearly exactly the same as the new one from a different company.

But, I guess that's how it is in the gaming world, can't keep your ideas safe from other companies. Which is why Nintendo are so succesful because they do not blab.[/SIZE]