OtakuBoards

Zelda:Gamecube

eleanor

[color=indigo]Well, I have a pre-order at GameStop, so I'm not worried about not being able to get a copy, I'm just saying that it might be hard to find a copy without one. And with OOT, yes, I did go the day after it was released, but I went in the morning, like, during school hours. (One of the plusses of being home schooled, heh).

You're right, though, it does seem like places order more games now. When I went to pick up SMS and Metroid Prime/Fusion, they did have quite a few copies just sitting on the shelves. It probably also helps that the GCN doesn't use cartridges, which I would think take longer to make, so they wouldn't be able to get as many out.[/color]

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BWA HA HA! I got my copy in my hot little hand right now!!!

...but I have to take care of my mountain of homework before I can start playing. >.> Which means that won't be till tomorrow. (Which is also why I'm not on AIM tonight.)

Stupid EB went and threw in the Player's Guide, too. Beh. Stupid temptation to play with that book. HEATHENS!

I'm very bad. I broke my promise to myself to do my homework. V_V (I still have about half of it to do.)

ON THE OTHER HAND, it was freaking worth it. My gosh, I love this game. For all you [i]A Link to the Past[/i] lovers, this is definitely a game for you. I cannot emphasize that enough, because that was the sense I was getting as I played.

Tiny nitpicks, like some of the cheesy sounds effects (picking up Rupees, getting-a-new-item music, and so forth); I'm doing a tiny bit of wrestling with the camera in a few rare occasions. And to a small extent, the cartoonish faces still clash with the realistic moving bodies, but that's only noticeable to me when the body's moving too real for the face.

I really like a lot of the character sounds. (Except for the weird one when Link rolls.) They fit very very well. And the scene where Link gets to [spoiler]Forbidden Fortress[/spoiler]--hilarious! I bust out laughing over that--his expressions were priceless!

All in all, starting off at a good pace, and enjoying it immensely. (But I still need to get my homework done first.)

I walked into Best Buy this morning... Walked kind of fast to the GC section, and I saw like a dozen people just gawking around there. I was worried for a second, the store had only been open 45 minutes, but I had no idea how many copies they had.

I get over there, and they have an entire rack full. There must have been at least 75 copies there, so I grabbed one... Went to Guest Service and they honored my $15 for the OoT disc, so I paid my $35.

I also grabbed a little GBA SP case while I was there. Good day.

I'm going to clean my room before I play Zelda... In [i][b]progressive scan[/i][/b] (that was directed at a few people... they know who ;)).

Edit - And no, not you Ginny :)

*clicks his "Shut Up" button banner a few times without success* Was that directed at me? ;)

Did I mention this plays like an interactive, gorgeous animated movie? It feels that way to me. Interactive is the best way to grasp a story--you [i]feel[/i] it rather than just watch. *grins ear to ear* Since AC is out for me tonight (Tom is closed, Des), I get to stay up till 1:30am again playing.

(Sorry, Des.)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
I'm going to clean my room before I play Zelda... In [i][b]progressive scan[/b][/i][/QUOTE]

:flaming:

Did it have to be in both bold [i]and[/i] italics? :sigh:

Oh well, I have better sound. :p

Anyway, I'm now in the third dungeon. [spoiler]I was a little surprised to see The Great Deku Tree alive again. I thought he had perished or something. Unless he came back to life at the end of OOT. I can't remember. It's been years.[/spoiler]

I don't really think the game plays like an interactive movie. It may look like an animated film, but it's plays very similarly to OOT. Well, except for the toned down difficulty. I'm having no trouble making my way through this one. And, I miss Epona.

I'm having a blast though, sometimes doing absolutely nothing. Exploring the sea is a little fun--if not slightly limited right now, since the early part of the game has you on a set path.

Mmmm....you know, I've played both Animal Crossing and Wind Waker, and I see a similiarity in facial expressions and some sound effects. But I agree with Charles here--you can spend minutes on end doing nothing and loving it!

[spoiler]I just about [i]died[/i] when I played the Squid MiniGame at the island the King of Red Lions takes you to the first time he finds you.
Guy: Ze village children are saved! *switches head boards and adopts girlie voice* YAY!
If you haven't played that part yet, you must--just to hear the guy![/spoiler]

[color=indigo]Booyah! I've got it! I've only gotten to Windfall Island (hence my location, heh), but I've loved it so far. I also got to play as Tingle for a bit, when my friend came over and played it. It's fun to drop Tingle Bombs on things, heh.

Probably won't play it again till tomorrow, though, since I'm determined to beat Ocarina of Time Master Quest, hopefully tonight. All I have left to do is go through Ganon's Castle, so I should be able to do that tonight if I can keep myself from just playing TWW instead. :cross:

Yeah, go ahead and play it in your progressive scan mode, Semjaza. Live it up, while I'm using an old crappy TV that looks like it's from the 80s, has a jumpy picture, and has freaking MONO SOUND! :grumble:[/color]

I got it I got it I got it! Fun funf unfufnufnufnufnfnufn SUPER HAPPY FUN TIME!!!!!1111!!!1

While I found the game to be a little too slow at first, it's been getting much better now (I just left Windfall Island). Once I finish my homework, I'm off to Dragon Pier Island (I think).

How did the rest of you feel when you set into the open sea? No loading at all, an excellent music, and the sheer size of it blew me away in a way I hadn't felt since GTA3.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Yeah, go ahead and play it in your progressive scan mode, Semjaza. Live it up, while I'm using an old crappy TV that looks like it's from the 80s, has a jumpy picture, and has freaking MONO SOUND! :grumble:[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I'd also like to add that I am enjoying my game in Dolby Pro Logic ( I should get a Dolby II reciever soon... should make it even better). Rock.

The sea was pretty cool... I'm not really fond of the long trips you sometimes have to make, but it makes the world feel massive.

I so far like all the little touches in this game... Like that kid with the big booger that follows you around, or the little kid thugs on Windmill Island that want you off your turf, so they circle around you.

I also loved how Tetra cut off Link's sappy moment when he left the island. I love her, my friend thinks she is a ***** lol.

I also liked how the game seems to poke fun at things that are mainstays in the series... Link hates his new clothes, and when he gets the shield from his grandmother he looks confused when it suddenly appears on his back.

And Smokey Joe, the next island is awesome. The Rito are great and the area behind it is just amazing graphically ([spoiler] the entrance to the dungeon, where all the ash and fire is blowing around... In fact, the whole dungeon looks amazing[/spoiler].

Loving it in progressive scan... whee!

Like I was telling my friend last night, the Rito tribe are definitely my new favorite species. I've always wanted wings, and now....expect some fanart soon. ;)

*hugs her Valoo plushie* He's nifty. I must say, the thrill of taking on that first boss, spazzing out and going, "whatdoIdo?whatdoIdo?".

There's a LOT of mimicing of the old games, but instead of it being restrictive, it actually enhances it.

I still love that Squid minigame on Windfall Island. ^_~

O DANG--I need to take that [spoiler]golden feather[/spoiler] back to Dragon Roost Isle. OOOO, there's PLENTY to do in this game. It's funny--sometimes I'm so afraid this'll be a short game, but then...the sheer size of it all...so wonderful.

*is quite happy, still*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B]O DANG--I need to take that [spoiler]golden feather[/spoiler] back to Dragon Roost Isle.[/B][/QUOTE]
I'm just going to say...you're going to be a little angry when you actually talk with the guy. Geeze, but it shows just how much there is to do in this game.

I really admire games such as these that Nintendo comes out with. This is the reason I bought a GC -- Metroid Prime, Zelda...I just love these action adventure games when you live in this pre-made world that the producers created. There is so much stuff to do, and the fun factor out of ten is most always a seventeen.

Anyway, on this game, my mini-game talent is where you have to sort the letters at the Dragon Roost post office. I got 26 on that after playing all night, haha. I have yet to beat the squid game, but I've only played it once. Right now I'm at the Great Deku tree, where you have that flower on the door that closes when you get near it. I'll figure it out. ;)

What I like to do most in this game is walk around and get used to my environment, talk to everyone twice, and try to complete the mini-tasks. That's the main reason that 2 of my friends are ahead of me, when I've been playing a considerable amount of time more than them. Kind of obvious though; one of those friends isn't allowing me to be a fan of Zelda because I havn't owned and beaten every Zelda there is. o_O Obsessed freak! jk

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles

Anyway, I'm now in the third dungeon. [spoiler]I was a little surprised to see The Great Deku Tree alive again. I thought he had perished or something. Unless he came back to life at the end of OOT. I can't remember. It's been years.[/spoiler]

[/QUOTE]

[color=red] The [spoiler]Deku Tree in WindWaker is the Deku Sprout that came out of the ground on OoT when you beat the Forest Temple.[/spoiler]

Anyway, I've already [spoiler]met Ganonndorf and he revealed that Tetra was Princess Zelda. Then you meet the king of Hyrule who has a complicated name and is under the ocean.[/spoiler]It's pretty neat when you meet [spoiler]the king for the first time.[/spoiler][/color]

[B]And Smokey Joe, the next island is awesome. The Rito are great and the area behind it is just amazing graphically ([spoiler] the entrance to the dungeon, where all the ash and fire is blowing around... In fact, the whole dungeon looks amazing[/spoiler].
[/B][/QUOTE]

After just finishing the dungeon, I just have to say this: Best graphics ever! Well, after Doom 3, of course.
I'm really loving those quick comical moments, [spoiler]like when you throw Medli, but she crashes.[/spoiler]
A few times, while playing, I keep having that feeling that I am just dreaming everything. I mean, that dungeon couldn't have been cooler. Especially since it takes place inside and outside the volcano.
And the Grappling Hook is much more useful than I expected (however, I find it a little too slow).

[B]I also loved how Tetra cut off Link's sappy moment when he left the island. I love her, my friend thinks she is a ***** lol.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, he's not alone. If I didn't know Tetra's real purpose in the game, I would just flat-out hate her...

Man, that Deku Tree dungeon is looong. It's kind of tricky as well, and after a while, I just decided to do the rest tommarrow. After all, I've already gotten to a point where you can teleport to another vase, but that was a ways back. Oh well, the longer the better. ^_^ All this exploring is great.

So, what does everyone think of this in comparison to your previous favorite Zelda game?

Well, let me put it this way: the video game world goes in cycles, from seriousness to silliness, from goofy looking to graphicly awe-ing.

Nintendo is stepping away from where the PS2 is right now; not that I'm saying one is better than the other, no! It's just that variety is good. As much as I loved the Ocarina "series", it's just as welcome to be in the more "loopy" mood.

(Did anybody else catch that pose Tingle did when Link holds the Tingle thingie up? Bwee hee hee.)

[color=red]I would have to say that this zelda game is better than the ones on the 64. It brings back classical little tingles that were on LttP. All the humorous scenes make the game better. Link seems to have a good bit of bad luck in this game. First he almost runs off a cliff, then the pirates shoot him straight into a wall, then the giant evil bird that kidnapped Aryll flung Link into the sea, and there are some more happenings but they occur a bit later in the game so I won't say anything.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Syk3 [/i]
[B]I'm just going to say...you're going to be a little angry when you actually talk with the guy. Geeze, but it shows just how much there is to do in this game.[/B][/QUOTE]

I was really irritated. There are similar situations to this that arise elsewhere.

[spoiler]For instance, once you finish the Deku dungeon, you can find withering Deku sprouts. I found one and was told that I simply had to water it with the Forest Haven water. I did just that. But, once I completed the task--I receieved nothing for my trouble except for instructions to water seven more. Joy. lol.[/spoiler]

On the bright side, I finally got around to playing the Battleship-inspired mini game that Semjaza and Ginny were talking about. It took me about three tries to complete it successfully. I love how the clerk holds the cardboard cutouts up to his face. Especially when you win. It's hilarious.

And, you know, that's what I like about this game. It never takes itself too seriously; I can have fun doing the most menial of things. Tossing letters into the aforementioned mailbox was particularly fun. Or--hurling that poor girl into a wall repeatedly. Some of you know what I'm talking about. ;)

On the downside, the dungeons aren't especially fantastic. Don't get me wrong; they're a blast. The puzzles aren't especially difficult, but most have a clever twist that keeps them fresh. The game really makes the most of your inventory. You find yourself using the same items repeatedly, but you utilize 'em in such different and creative ways that it's fun. Truly innovative.

Plus, the dungeons all look incredible. I was telling Tony and a few others that this is the best-looking game I've ever played. The lighting and particle effects of each dungeon are tremendous. Whether you're watching bulbs of light float around in thickets of grass, or facing down torrents of wind carrying hot ash, each area has a distinctive touch that makes it [i]special[/i].

But, I suspect that they won't be very interesting to play through multiple times. Furthermore, the bosses, while massive, are patterned very simply. They're no sweat to tackle.

Man, I'm loving everything else though. I don't care that some of the tunes are recycled and MIDI. Most sound wonderful--and sometimes they're pretty touching. Cool stuff.

As for Greg's question--I'm not sure how this ranks up with OOT yet. When that game released, it too, was revolutionary. I mean, it was a seamless transition into 3D for the Zelda series. So, that leap had to be the toughest to make. The fact that games are still trying to replicate the targeting system speaks volumes.

So far, Wind Waker is a gorgeous evolution of the series and one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played, but I don't know that it surpasses OOT. I'll have to complete the game before I decide.

[color=#808080]I think that if you play OoT right after playing TWW, you'd probably find that you want to play TWW more. So it's probably the better game in terms of being "evolutionary".

But at the same time, it depends exactly what you mean. If you're talking about the impact that these games have when you first play them...maybe OoT had the bigger impact. I'll never forget my first couple of hours with OoT -- I don't think I blinked once. It was like a dream come true. ^_^

Oh and, I'd also remind some of you...you're making some really big references here that need spoilers tags. Talk of the Deku Tree dungeon and stuff -- those who don't yet own the game (myself and just about any non-American on the boards) want to be able to read this thread without seeing such spoilers. So please be [i]very[/i] careful about that.

I did manage to play TWW yesterday for a few minutes though; and whilst I've only seen a very small amount, I'm definitely impressed. You see what's happening now? Everyone [i]gets it[/i]. Do you notice how all the bashing over the visual style has basically disappeared now? To me, that's like the ultimate vindication of Miyamoto -- who was labeled as "senile" by some so-called Zelda-purists when this game was first revealed.

I'm not saying that Miyamoto can do no wrong (because his track record isn't entirely spotless), but by the same token, I think that the release of this game REALLY underlines the whole "don't bash it until you play it" line. Remember the discussions I was having a long time ago with someone in the Nintendo forum? I think it was Jabroni or someone...who was going on about how simple the style was and how childish it was. Well, I think now people can see why the style was chosen and why it works so well in motion.

I'm happy about that. TWW has taken some risks...some major risks. It's nice to see risk-taking games be rewarded in the marketplace. I think it shows that gaming is still as innovative as ever, even if it is occasionally unpopular to be a fresh thinker.[/color]

[color=indigo]Like Charles said, I'm not going to be able to tell how TWW compares to the other games in the series. So far, though, I think I'm liking TWW about as much as I liked OOT when I first played it. Maybe a little more.

As for how it compares to A Link to the Past/Four Swords (my current favorite in the series), so far, I don't like it as much. Like I said, though, I'll have to wait till I finish it to really compare the two.

The thing with me, though, about the graphics, is I don't really notce how the graphics look most of the time. Like when I first played Metroid Prime, I had to get all the way to the Chozo Ruins before I realized "Hey, the graphics in this game are really dang good!" The same thing happened with TWW. I had to get into the first dungeon and see those giant pillars of flame shooting up from the lava pits to really realize how good the graphics are.

Once I did realize that, however, I started looking around in the dungeon and outside, and I started to realize more and more just how amazing some things look. Like the lighting effects, and the effects of the wind when your outside. (I really like how Link's hat actually flaps in the direction the wind is blowing). I have to say, I think this is the best looking game in the series yet.[/color]

[color=#808080]I agree. I played TWW more today and I must admit that now I'm really liking Link's face. Seeing it respond to actual stimuli in the environment as you play is really remarkable. That level of expression was never close to being realized in OoT (not that it should have been, necessarily).

Would this kind of expression be possible with photorealistic images? I don't think so. Just look at how you can see the wind and everything...it's somewhat exaggerrated to emphasize expression. I think Miyamoto and Aonuma really hit the spot with that.[/color]

Regardless of whether or not it's the best Zelda, so far it has the best dungeon designs out of the series in my opinion. I love the Koroks too heh.

I missed getting the Tingle Tuner, and now if I go back to the island with it... It's night, and it's impossible to get. It's driving me nuts.

If you wanna change night to day, [spoiler]go to the elvis dude by the grave, take out the wind waker, and play a song. He will show you the motions for a song, which I think are...up right left. Its like the sun song...but its different.Oo [/spoiler]Then it'll be morning, and you can go help Tingle from jail, plus get the pictobox!^^(Watch out for the evil demonic rats!)

[color=indigo]Added [spoiler] tags. - Desbreko[/color]