Zelda:Gamecube

eleanor

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Semjaza Azazel i respect your opinion but i think that the enemies still look like cuddly teddy bears, compared to the enemies on OOT and Majora's Mask. and the second screen you have proves my point Link looks corny. I mean the Link on OOT and Majora's Mask didn't make those weird faces. In your second screen shot Link looks like he just crapped himself. I may sound old school for Link's design but my god can't they use the Link form from Super Smash Brothers Melee as a design for the Legend of Zelda for Game Cube?! This "anime style" is dumb! But as I stated earlier I respect your opinion, I'm just stating mine.

Thank you.

I'm glad they changed the design. I already played 2 Zelda's that were just like Ocarina of Time, why would I want to play another? That's exactly why Miyamoto changed it in the first place, he said it was just turning out to be a prettier OoT. While some people may want that, I sure don't.

And monsters and Link are totally different things. I mean Link is a little kid in this game, and of course he would make an expression like that... He's looking at some scary monster. The boss in the E3 demo of this game was easily as freaky looking as anything in OoT (barring Ganon in his final form). There were plenty of things in OoT that were just as corny and cartoonish in my opinion... I guess the graphical style just changes people's thoughts on that.

I think the monsters in those pictures are good enough. The first one shows Moblins with huge blades looking like they are about to rip Link apart with their teeth. The bats in the 2nd one are infinately more detailed than the Keese in the past games, and the giant centipede is far less cartoony than the ones in Link to the Past. I didn't even post a picture of the boss, which in my opinion looks amazing.

This game reminds me of the Gameboy Zelda games and Link to the Past, and I'm happy about that. But like you said it's a matter of opinion. I could do without an OoT clone :).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Domon [/i]
[B]I may sound old school for Link's design but my god can't they use the Link form from Super Smash Brothers Melee as a design for the Legend of Zelda for Game Cube?! This "anime style" is dumb! But as I stated earlier I respect your opinion, I'm just stating mine.

Thank you. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]*laughs uproariously* You like the old school Link, do you? Take a look at this. This is what Link is supposed to look like in the [i]original[/i] game:

[IMG]http://www.desbreko.netfirms.com/Misc/ZLTO-Link.gif[/IMG]

Now, this is straight out of the instruction booklet, so yes that is what Link is supposed to look like. Now, when I look at Link in the GCN game, I see a cel-shaded version of the original Link, which is not too far off from that original art. It seems that you don't want the "old school" Link, you actually want the "new school" Link, from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Next up, the "cuddly teddy bear" enemies. Now, I'd like you to take a look at this. This is also art from the instruction booklet for the original game:

[IMG]http://www.desbreko.netfirms.com/Misc/ZLTO-Moblin.jpg[/IMG]

Yes, that is a Moblin, or Molblin as they were called in the original game. Now, when I look at the Moblins in the GCN game, I really don't see much difference, other that they're cel-shaded and a little bigger.

There's also one more thing that I don't think many people realize... The Legend of Zelda is not this dark, foreboding story... It's a stinkin' fairy tale! I mean, really, what are you trying to do in the original game? That's right, you're trying to rescue a princess (Zelda) from an evil monster (Gannon). The Legend of Zelda was not meant to be a serious, realistic game. It's main purpose was to let the player have their own fantasy world to explore.

So to all you people spouting that you want the "old school" Zelda back, realize that that is exactly what you are getting. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are the only two semi-realistic Zelda games, and they are the two [i]newest[/i] console Zelda games.

And yes, I know, everyone is entitled to his or her own oppinion, but it seems like many don't actually know what they're saying when they say they want the old Link back. Anymore, my main purpose is not actually to change people's minds about the GCN Zelda, it's simply to make people understand that this new GCN Zelda is going back to what the series should be. I really don't care if people don't like the cel-shaded graphics, I just want people to know what they're talking about.[/color]

Desbroko did read your post, otherwise how would he have known about your "old school" comment?

I think his point was that the OoT Link [b]isn't[/b] old school. The Link from the games previous to the N64 games would be. Honestly, I read all of these people complaining that they want it to look like the "old" Link, the OoT Link. What about the people who want the series to go back to the style of Link to the Past and Link's Awakening? I really think that's who this game appeals to. Then again it's still divided because of the cartooniness :P.

[color=indigo]Yes, I did indeed read your whole post. Like Semjaza pointed out, the Link from OOT, MM, and SSBM are really the new Link. The picture of Link that I posted up would be the "old school" Link. I realize that you want the Link from OOT or SSBM, I just want [i]you[/i] to realize that those are indeed the new Link, not the "old school" Link. I find it funny that most of the people that dislike the way Link looks in the GCN game say that they'd rather have the old Link, when in reality they want the new Link. Like I said, anymore I'm just trying to get people to understand what they're talking about.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Domon [/i]
[B]Well most people have forgotten what the old,old link looks like so we call the OOT version of Link the old version. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]That's exactly my point. People don't know what they're talking about when they say they want the old Link back, because they think of the OOT version of Link as the old Link. So, I'm trying to get people to realize that the Link from OOT is actually the new Link, and to show them that the Link in the GCN game is actually pretty close to the real old Link.[/color]

Ok thats really confusing! Un fortuneatly I havent been able to play and of the old Zelda games because I havent been able to find them so I dont really understand I know what Link looks like in those games so I kind of understand where youre comming from.

[color=indigo]Like I said, I don't really care if you like it or not. That's your oppinion, and I'm not even really trying to change it. Heck, that's just one more person I won't have to compete with to get one of the pre-orders, lol. :)[/color]

• 1 month later...
I found some new shots at IGNBoards earlier today. One shows off a nice castle area... It has nice lighting, but for some reason Link's shadow doesn't fit (it's angled the opposite way that it should be). Oh well.

[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/z1.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/z2.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/z3.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/z7.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/z8.jpg[/url]

[img]http://www.ria.net/~binary/z4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ria.net/~binary/z5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ria.net/~binary/z6.jpg[/img]

The last one apparently shows that there are different camera modea that can possibly be moved around with the C-Stick... Hadn't heard much about that yet.

Something that has always kept me in my place when looking at screenshots is: how does this compare to the actual animation?

You can look at screenshots all day until your computer crashes, but it will not give you any idea about the animation itself (not even the frame by frame stuff, if you are lucky to find any of that for this game, lol).

In this new day and age of advanced video gaming, the programmers are grappling with 3D all over (duh, heh). Too many forget that the main focus should really be whether the character moves realistically; get that down, and [i]then[/i] worry about how flashy the chara should be. I've seen too many gorgeous looking charas looking like totem poles attempting to walk, and it's painful to watch.

Fortunately, that wasn't a problem in the Zelda series. And I doubt it's going to be a problem for the new game, either.

With all that being said, Link's eyes scare me. :nervous:

That's what video is for ;). I think most of us have seen this in motion, if you havem't I am willing to send you some videos (hopefully you have broadband lol). I'm not sure what is locked off at IGN or Gamespot anymore.

I will say the animation is excellent, and from what I've seen it's a big part of what makes the game look so good. Link does a lot of cool new moves when he fights, and enemies are fluid as well. There is also an insane amount of facial expressions Link has which really seem to add to it.

So anyway, I don't think animation is something to worry about in this game :).

[color=indigo]Anymore, the only real problem I have with how Link looks is with his tunic. It really should have short sleaves and a collar, like the one he wears in OOT and MM. It just looks kinda funny without the sleaves and collar. ...It'd look like a dress, except that he wears a belt around it... That, and I think he looks better with a brown shirt under the tunic.[/color]

[color=indigo]Yeah, I've seen screen shots and movies of him wearing a brown shirt and a green shirt, I just like the brown one better. That's how he started out. He had a green tunic, and a brown shirt, and anything else looks funny to me anymore. Well, the white tights are okay. he started out without anything besides the shirt and tunic, so just about anything would be better, lol.[/color]