OtakuBoards

Super Mario Sunshine

Guest Matt

[color=red][b]I was going to post this in the Gamesube/GBA forum, but now that we have a Mario forum, I might as well post it here.

I am thinking of getting Super Mario Sunshine, but my local blockbuster does not have it for rent. I would like to try games before I buy them, but because I can't this time, I am looking for your opinons. For people who have the game, on a scale of 1 to 10, how good is it and why?[/b][/color]

Without going to indepth... This is something you should own if you have a GC. It's that simple.

I know a few people that don't like it... but these are people that seem to hate Mario games and Nintendo in the first place for the most part. I also know a few people who love this game and don't like Mario 64 at all, so who knows.

I think most people would agree that it is one of the best games on the system, if not THE best... despite some of it's problems and shortcomings.

[COLOR=deeppink]I give it a 7.

It's got very good gameplay, and great replay value, but it just doesn't seem as vast. It seems they sacrificed a lot of missions by letting you buy Shines with Blue Coins. And it probably would have kept me busier if it had set the minimum requirement of Shines beating the game a little higher.

And the story... I don't like what they did with Shadow Mario. Plain and simple.

And the Final Boss... o.O[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Schratn9 [/i]
[B]Hmm I just posted a thread in the GC thread. Oh well....

I love the game...Im almost done with it.... Its great [/B][/QUOTE]
You posted a thread in a thread? :smirk: Anywho, I admit I haven't played it alot, being that I have to go over to a friends to play it. But, what I have played is very fun. ;) It is still #3 on my GCN list though. I just have more fun with Super Smash Brothers Melee, and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (Chao raising rules). :p

[color=indigo]It kinda occupies both my number 1 and number 2 spots for my favorite GCN games... Number 1 in that it's just a great game, but number 2 in that I just play SSBM a lot more... But yeah, if you're looking for a platformer, it's definitely the best on the system. I don't like it quite as much as Super Mario 64, mainly because there's not as much variety to the worlds, but it's still my third favorite Mario game (Super Mario World takes the number 1 spot).

I've gotten up to 113 Shines so far, and I think having the Blue Coins actually makes the game longer, because it takes 10 Blue Coins to get a Shine, and some of the Blue Coins are hidden really well. On a few of the worlds, I have absolutely no idea where the last couple Blue Coins are, and it's going to take a lot of searching to find them.

In short, if you like platform games at all, get this game. It's one of the best on the GCN, and I think I'd give it a 9.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Nerdsy [/i]
[B][COLOR=deeppink]It seems they sacrificed a lot of missions by letting you buy Shines with Blue Coins. And it probably would have kept me busier if it had set the minimum requirement of Shines beating the game a little higher.
[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that you can only purchase a limited number of shines via blue coins. As Desbreko mentioned, some of the blue coins can be difficult to collect (rivaling the Shines) and you do need to collect ten in order to purchase a Shine.

Having said that, I enjoy the game. The water pack and its large degree of uses make a world of difference, as does the sheer scope of the levels. Plus, the design of the worlds is incredible. Exploring that coral reef is a prime example of what I'm trying to get across.

It doesn't matter to me that the game can be completed with the current requirement of Shines, because I'll still be compelled to finish the the game one-hundred percent, just as I was in Mario 64.

The camera, as mentioned in a million reviews, can be a bit bothersome, but I've grown accustomed to it from my Mario 64 days, so it's not too difficult a flaw to overcome.

I think the main argument is that there about 30 shines to collect just from blue coins. I personally don't mind it, but it is rather ridiculous.

I don't know why people are ocmplaining about this as if it makes the game incredibly shallow and short though. It's easily better than most any other platformer I can think of, and definately one of the longer ones available.

Because i live in jolly old England i have too wait for certain games to come out normally a few months more then in the states.
I have just oreded Mario Sunshine ready for its uk release on oct 4 and am very impatient, now i know this subject has hardly anything to do with this thread but why do the english have too wait months for games? i mean we had too wait a whole year just for pokemon Gold and Silver, that is what i call unfair because you get these crackpot people on the internet telling people how to complete games and i don't want to see that i mean i type in gamecube"Resident evil" into a search engine and it comes up with things like Cheat walkthroughs and more, and all i wanted was a review to see if it was any good, i didn't find one because i saw the walktrough thing and just turned off my computer in disgust now am i the only one who thinks this is wrong?

Yours in disgust,
Paul

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Paul, to an extent, I know what you mean. I visit IGN.com often, and am often upset myself when they have the walkthroughs or cheats to games that are not even out yet. Or, as you say, there are webpages out when I do a search for the game, spoiling every bit of it.

While I am only like 10% sure of why they wait, I won't post, cause I don't want to cause any confusion at all. I will just let someone else who is sure fill you in. ^_^ Aren't I helpful? . . lol [/SIZE][/COLOR]

hmmmmm.... two words:

really good game...

or...

anyways, i like the game, i just got 40 shines, just a second ago. i would give it a 9.0... for great gameplay. i sorta liked the shadow mario... after you know the story behind it.

anyways, no one has to listen to anything i say, so ill just go now

For Europe there is always that whole PAL debate, but from talking to people like James (who also has to wait) it seems like that is more BS than anything.

For stuff like Pokemon, doesn't the game have to be translated into like 5 different languages for release over there? I'm sure that's the main problem. I mean, the US alone got Gold and Silver WAY after Japan did, and we only have one real language.

For Gameboy stuff you could just import from the US... They work on any Gameboy, the thing is you have to pay extra costs which generally aren't worth it.

Every so often Europe/UK gets something before the US. You guys already have Tekken 4 and Capcom Vs. SNK 2 EO on GC and we don't lol. Not that that even makes up for it :).

[color=royalblue]I think it makes up for it. I don't know about Europe, but when people talk about Australia, I think they forget that we regularly get games earlier than the USA/Europe...and in some cases, we get games that other countries never see.

Did GT Concept come out in the USA, for example? I have a feeling that it either hasn't been released yet, or isn't scheduled to come out at all.

In any case, it all depends. When it comes to first party Nintendo games, we usually don't have to wait very long. The biggest problem at the moment is not actually getting these games ready...it's Nintendo Australia being selective about when certain games get released.

On the other hand, our release schedule for the second half of 2002 is absolutely unmatched. In some ways, the fact that we've had to wait for some of these games has been positive; it means that there is no "dry season" at all this year in terms of big releases.[/color]

[COLOR=deeppink]I didn't mean I didn't like the Blue Coins because they shorten the game. I meant they take away from the variety of missions. For the Blue coines, it's mostly the same thing. Squirt/eat a bird, squirt water in some hole, beat a blue enemey, or fine one hidden... there are a few exceptions, I'm sure. But I'd rather have a few straight out missions.

I didn't like how they kept re-using II Pentasmo or Glooper Blooper. I feels like they ran out of ideas. (And some of the levels were just plain bad. Cleaning teeth? As unique as that is, it's still pretty bad.)

That's what I feel is the only real thing wrong with the Mario games... repitition. They re-use phrases all the time. Evey time you take an item from Shadow Mario, he says the same thing. >.>

Don't get me wrong, though, I love the game. It has pretty good replay value, and has kept me entertained for the past few weeks...

[/COLOR]

Guest Gohan2000
I am really anger at Nintendo because I expected a good Mario game but all it is is really bad game. They could at least put more fighting and puzzle solving but in the game all you do is clean.

another angery

Doesn't sound like you played much past the first area to me, but hey if you don't like it... that's fine by me lol.

As for what was being said aboce the last post --- I personally don't find Mario to be any more repetitious than other platformers. I have quite a few (small for the most part) problems with SMS, but it's strange that it still manages to be the best 3D platformer I've ever played.

Guest Gohan2000
Another thing is that Nintendo should have at least put Bowser in instead of putting Shadow Mario or I mean baby Bowser.

another disapointed Mario fan

[color=indigo]Yeah, I was also disappointed with Yoshi. When I first saw screenshots of Mario riding Yoshi, and different colored Yoshis in particular, I was hoping that you'd be able to eat certain enemies to get different abilities, like in Super Mario World. I don't know about anyone else, but I was kind of annoyed when I couldn't go on a rampage with Yoshi, breathing fireballs at everything at that moves, like I used to do in SMW with a red Yoshi. That was one of the best parts of having Yoshi in SMW. For actually playing through the game, I prefer to just use Mario because I'm better without Yoshi, for the most part. I just used Yoshi for fun, and now that Yoshi can barely do anything (come on, are you really going to believe that Yoshis that live on a tropical islands can't swim, while the ones in the Mushroom Kingdom and Dinosaur Land can?), he seems more tacked on than anything else.

As for the story being bad...come on, it's a Mario game. There doesn't need to be a story. The stories in Mario games are not what sells the games, it's the gameplay. I wouldn't care if there wasn't a story at all, because it wouldn't really change the game much. You'd still run around collecting crap while pulling off insane jumps and jumping on enemies, and all the other stuff that makes a Mario game a Mario game.[/color]