OtakuBoards

the face of metal(and music in general for that matter) today

treton_noir

for quite a while i was very disappointed with the face of today's rock. bands like slipknot, mudvayne, mushroomhead, hatebreed, etc. were at the front of the masses while great bands like soundgarden, radiohead, pearl jam, smashing pumpkins, among others, were left to collect dust in the shadow of these new metal bands. then (unlike most people with that opinion), i gave them a chance. i actually got their albums and listen to them. all the way through. i listened to the message they presented as well as the way they presented it. i was amazed by what i had been missing. the arrangements, the layering, the percussive nature of the music, all helped to create something new and convey new emotions(which is what music should always be about, emotion). dont get me wrong. anything can be overdone, overplayed, overhyped...whatever , but with anything, you should at least give it a shot before you dismiss it completely.

thanks for your time. give me your thoughts on today's music as opposed to older stuff, diferent stuff, whatever...

I liked Slipknot back in there Mate Feed Kill Repeat days. They were doing something few bands outside of something headed by Mike Patton would do (Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Fantomas, etc.). Unfortunately, they changed their self-titled LP to what everyone is used to by them now. Not a bad CD, but there are tons of heavier bands with far more talent than Slipknot currently, but that's besides the point heh. I really would like to know what the reason was they changed so much though. Either way, I think Iowa was a horrible release. A lot of people who hate Slipknot refuse to believe they were ever anything original, but I seriously think they were when they started out.

Most metal is layered well... The heavy stuff especially. When you get past how aggressive and loud it is, you can notice a lot of the smaller things that go into it. So many things are arranged and layered at once, and if the band is good, they can somehow make it seem like music and not just pure noise. I think Pantera's Dimebag is amazing in that sense. He can play something just long enough that it gets catchy, but then switch it up again right away... and still keep with the song. Down is also damn good at this, but they are made up of some Pantera members in the first place.

Soundgarden faded because people were tired of all the BS with the band, at least in my opinion. Same with STP. I think after a while people get tired of all the bitching, whining and fighting. I never liked Pearl Jam personally, but I would say most people would agree their sound is rather tired right now. They had already been around since the early 90s, I think it was about time something replaced them heh. I never got the attraction to this group, but hell most people hate what I do... so I'm open to it :).

I'm not into metal as much as I used to be... It was pretty much taken over by "industrial" type music and punk :).

Nu-metal is one of my least favorite genres. I like some really heavy stuff, but a lot of nu-metal is just noise. Not because it's heavier, there's just less artistry and more.... anger (big surprise!). I've listened to songs by Mudvayne, Slipknot and Mushroomhead and my goodness... these bands just plain suck. I really can't imagine them making money for pitching garbage at their audience.

Anyway, a lot of metal sucks in my opinion... hell a lot of music in general sucks. I'm really tired of all these angsty and angry rock bands... can't rock music be about a different emotion for a change? Or does it have to be mad at everything to be cool... I swear, anytime I turn on the radio, everything is either senseless punk, useless r&b/rap garbage, or angry and noisy rock.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic, really bad and stupid genres like nu-metal can set me off.

[color=crimson][size=1]Well, I would rather listen to Pearl Jam or Soundgarden over any metal band there is today anyway. They are more mellowed out and like wrist cutter said, there's not as much anger or anything. I don't know, I am really tired right now and it's too early in the morning...

Lately I've been listening to my Smashing Pumpkins alot at night to help me go to sleep. It really works if you can find the right songs... I don't think it's even possible to fall asleep to SlipKnot. (And now that I think about that, it sounds like SP are boring and are putting me to sleep...:rotflmao: )[/color][/size]

like i said, anything can be over done, but the point i was trying to make was that you shouldnt confine yourself to any one kind of music. open yourself up to new things. a rule i go by is "if your getting comfortable with what is going on and there isnt anything new, its time to move on." this has gotten me into a lot of new things, especially kinds of music. ive gotten into to everything from led zeppelin to the prodigy. hip hop to jazz. the only thing that i dont like really is country music and pop radio. the rule works well cause if i start to get tired of any one sound ( noise metal as you put it, wc, for example) then i always have something else to turn to. also, what wc said about hearing the same thing all the time when listening to the radio is the exact reason i dont. i dont want anybody deciding what i listen to. and if a song gets overplayed, its because i played it too much, because i chose to, not because thats what someone decided i should listen to.

That's what I been preachin': Don't limit yourself to ONE TYPE OF MUSIC! I tell that to these little punks who are all like, "METALLICAAAAA!!!! ::devil sign::" (don't get me wrong now, I do like some Metallica a lot [see "Apocolyptica" thread :D])and "SLIPKNOT!!! RAAAAHHHH!!" :therock: , or just any one genre of music.

I think a [i]very[/i] big issue with the whole Nu-metal, noise rock, whatever is that it's soooooo much about image now. Music should be about emotion, and I am deeply sorry for the soul who only feels anger. These bands have this supposed 'hardcore' look and sound, and they have their hairstyles and their 'grungy/dark/whatever it is' clothes.... it's the 80's hairbands reincarnated into something [i]almost[/i] just as bad. Some people flock to this type of music as a source of identity, not for the music's sake (which is why [i]I[/i] don't listen to a lot of that stuff), and so therefore, as long as the look is 'bad' and 'heavy' and the fans have something to clutch to, it really doesn't matter what the music sounds like.

[color=crimson][size=1]I'm sorry, but I have a hard time opening myself up to different types of music. And I will never like Rap, Country, Gospel, or any of that other crappy crap. I like what I like and I'm pretty much going to keep the same tastes...I have a variety of different types in my one big GENERAL type...if that makes any sense.. [/color][/size]

Im open to all types of genres but Metal is by far my favorite. I love the New bands that are popping up. With me, If it sounds good, I like. I will worry about the message after I have covered the fact of me liking it.

I cant stand pearl Jam or Soundgarden. Its just my opinion. To me there not metal, they are more rock or alternative. And I dont listen to bands just because they have a good message. Only thing that nmakes me buy the cd is wether or not it s sounds good to me. This is my opinion so dont send any hate mail.

Anyone who likes Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins or Soundgarden is my freind. Even more so if they hate bands such as Slipknot and the like. Well I have been listening to alot of music other than just rock lately, like The White Stripes. Most of them are just annoying one hit wonders, with a predominantly bad album. Grinspoon's new album aswell as the Red Hot Chili Pepper's album have been welcomed by me as oppossed to the cascade of crappy overdone pop and metal. Tool have a new album coming out soon, so that should really show what type of 'metal' people should be listening to. Oh well, that's me.

the white stripes are such a great band. they are so simple. 2 people. 1 singer/guitar player and 1 drmmer. no layering. no back up anything. its just straight forward trashy 60's sounding rock, like older zeppelin or the rolling stones or something. its just really good to see that straight up rock isnt dead.

Not sure who you are referring to, but if it was me I was replying to Amphion. No need to get snippy :).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Amphion [/i]
[B]I cant stand pearl Jam or Soundgarden. Its just my opinion. To me there not metal, they are more rock or alternative.[/B][/QUOTE]

SlipKnot is terrible, annoying, and pointless. It's not their music which bothers me. As a matter of fact, I'd enjoy their music...but for the fact that they are tottally blowing hot air.

You'd think(with waht they sing about) that they grew up under a garbage dump and had the worst life it's possible for an American to have. The fact of the matter is: They had an average childhood, and the only majoy bump any of them endured was parental divorce. Granted, that's not small; but I don't it justifies the anger they express.

It's all a show.

As for my position on music thesedays: I listen to at least a little bit of almost everything. So I don't really think music has gone downhill. Things have just changed in recent years.

-Justin

Well I totally agree now, but at the start I still insist there was some uniqueness and talent to Slipknot. No one I know knows their first CD though, so it's usually a useless argument.

Speaking of Bowie, everyone should buy Heathen. It's amazing, more his old style than the last CD ("Hours..."). Hours... was a better CD overall in my opinion though. I love Bowie :).

AAAARRGH!! :bash: ::stabs drummer for the White Stripes in the eye with a drumstick and bashes her head through the bass drum::

That girl CANNOT PLAY! Aaaaaaaahhh I can't STAND it...... I've seen like, some live performance of theirs on tv..... oh my gosh .... she has AWFUL technique--in fact, she has none--and could you beat out any simpler rhythms????? Now I'm not some amazing set drummer myself...... but dang. If that's all it takes to be famous, I shoulda been a superstar back when I was 13 in 7th grade. At that point, we'd be at the same level. Geez louise, now I'm in a snappy mood....:flaming:

Anna, you are damn right about the White Stripes drummer. She is terrible. I am a fellow drummer and compared to her the guy from Limp Bizkit had talent. Yeah, while were on the subject, he's crap too. I don't care how big his drumkit was in the film clip for "Take a look around" was, he's crap. Now, Danny Carey, there's a drummer...

[font=gothic][color=crimson]And it's not just the damn drummer either! The whole damn band is just pathetic. I agree with Semjaza. We should all stick with Bowie. Just for the whole Sorrow song.... Damn that's a good song.

Anyway... If you want a decent metal album, go out and buy Oceanborn, by Nightwish. Then get all their other albums. Very good metal.[/font][/color]

when the "grunge" (i hate that term) movement began, everyone talked about how terrible all those no talent bands were. nirvana, stp, etc... they didnt play crazy metal riffs or have these blazing solos all over the track. they just played good honest music, and they had fun doing it. and i know meg white(white stripes) isnt knock you down amazing, but she does what she likes and has fun. she isnt chad sexton(311), or jimmy chamberlain (smashing pumpkins), or chad smith(R.H.C.P.), but at least she gets to do what she likes to do, and thats more than most of us could probably say. oh yeah, danny carey(TOOL) is the most amazing drummer i have ever heard. nobody can touch that guy.

[COLOR=darkblue]This sounds almost exactly like my avril lavigne thread but with less bickering.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkblue]Anyways I hate nu-metal, frankly it annoys the hell out of me, just mindless screaming. I like the Smashing Pumkins they are a great band.

*Looks at self* Ewwwww, I said "great".

*shudders*[/COLOR]

Well, I wouldn't really consider Nightwish nu-metal. Yeah, I'll have to agree with you there, it's all pretty crappy. Speaking of crappy, has anyone heard a song called "Get Free" by the Vines. It's absolutly terrible. Another band that I am really getting sick of is, Tenacious D. All there music is the same, and it's so very boring.

lol!! ^_^ I like "Get Free", [i]because[/i] it's so horrible! It's so horrible I can't help but scream along, and have you seen the video? :rotflmao: That singer *trips* me out so much, he's like The Strokes' (another crappy band imo) singer in their video--WASTED. I'll watch those videos for sheer amusement. I don't like Tenacious D either. Wonder Boy was funny for a while, and I actually don't mind that particular song that much. Buuuut, other than that I don't really prefer them. -_- And sure that White Stripes chic is having fun--I'll BET she is--but call it jealousy: I don't think she deserves that fun without the talent being famous is supposed to have in its requirements. Is she the girlfriend of the guitarist or something? I can't see how else she would be in the band....