OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy X-2

Semjaza

Well I can't find any threads on this in here, so I figured I'd post a new one.

The past couple days the Tokyo Game Show took place in Japan (it might still be going today, not sure). Despite all the hype it recieved, nothing amazing was really announced. There was no news on FF: Crystal Chronicles like everyone was hoping.

In case you don't know FF:CC is the next FF game for GameCube. It's seperate from the ones PS2 gets, and seems to be going for a more super deformed look like the older SNES and NES FF games. It's hard to tell what type of game it is from movies and shots... It seems like it might be an action RPG, but it could also just have a battle system like Grandia (which is heavy on action, but still turn based). There will also be some linkage to the GBA, but I'm not exactly sure how it will be used at this point. Lastly, it seems like it has a strong chance at being multiplayer. Personally, I am tiring of the FF games... so hopefully this will be something new and it will be done well.

Anyway, I was at Gaming-Age and someone posted a lot of new images. They are all concept art, except the last few which are in game models.

Anyway thanks to Neo2046 at Gaming-Age. I put the pics on my server so they don't leech :).

[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc1.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc2.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc3.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc4.jpg[/url]
[img]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc5.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc6.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc7.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc8.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc9.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc10.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc11.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.ria.net/~binary/ffcc12.jpg[/url]

The drawings remind me of the Mana series more than anything... Which is always a good thing :). I can't get them to show up in the thread at all, so click the links.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=royalblue]This looks amazing. I can't wait to see more of this game.

So far the art looks very much like something Yoshitaka Amano would produce. I love the clothing style (FFX-esque) and the general art style for the characters.

And the in-game stuff is looking nicer than Final Fantasy X. Great stuff...[/color]

Yes, definitely reminds me of the Mana series. It also seems to have a heavy hint of FF9 in there.

*whimpers at James' comment* Easy there, Jamesy, you're talking about the game I love dearly right now (although even I think it could have standed a little more sustenance). ;) *hugs her Auron vinyl fig*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B]

*whimpers at James' comment* Easy there, Jamesy, you're talking about the game I love dearly right now (although even I think it could have standed a little more sustenance). ;) *hugs her Auron vinyl fig* [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]lol...Oh don't get me wrong. I own FFX. And I adore it.

But I mostly like it for its gameplay and battle systems.

The story is pretty average...and some of the characters leave a lot to be desired.

I still think Final Fantasy VII is the most fleshed-out game in terms of story and characters. ^_^

Anyway...I'm going through FFX nice and slow. I'm really enjoying it lol.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]lol...Oh don't get me wrong. I own FFX. And I adore it.

I still think Final Fantasy VII is the most fleshed-out game in terms of story and characters. ^_^

[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red] What about Final Fantasy III(6 japan). Haven't you played that one before James. I'm certain you have...well, I think that's the best FF in terms of Characters and Story, followed very close, almost neck and neck with FF VII. [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B] Personally, I am tiring of the FF games... so hopefully this will be something new and it will be done well.

[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red]How could anyone ever [i]tire[/i] of the Final Fantasy series? I mean it's only the best RPG series out there...have you even played every FF Semjaza?

As for how FF: Crystal Chronicles looks, well, it looks pretty good so far. But just by seeing some eye candy, I'm not sure--first I'll have to see the story. I'm really hoping Square will make remakes of old FF's for the GBA, though. That would be so awesome.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AnimeLover [/i]
[B][color=red]How could anyone ever [i]tire[/i] of the Final Fantasy series? I mean it's only the best RPG series out there...have you even played every FF Semjaza?[/B][/QUOTE] [/color]

[COLOR=darkblue]I've played every single one, and ever since FF7, there's been a hint of, well they're just not as orgional anymore....

Don't get me wrong, i adore the Final fantasy series, but they need a newstyle along with everything else, like FFT, it was a break from the normal FF game.

From the screen shots i just saw, well atleast the first 4 or so, it reminds me greatly of fft, if you've ever watched the start like twice, it doesn't repeat it self, it tells about the character classes.

but if it looks sorta like FFT,(my all-time favorite Final Fantasy for many reasons...) and a battle system some-what like grandia ( tied with Xenogears for the best ever) it would definately be a game worth my time...

thanks for brining this up Semjaza, i had no idea whatsoever about it, and the best part, it's coming to Gamecube ^_^

Edit: stupid color code....[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cloud [/i]
[B]

[COLOR=darkblue]I've played every single one, and ever since FF7, there's been a hint of, well they're just not as orgional anymore....

Don't get me wrong, i adore the Final fantasy series, but they need a newstyle along with everything else, like FFT, it was a break from the normal FF game.

From the screen shots i just saw, well atleast the first 4 or so, it reminds me greatly of fft, if you've ever watched the start like twice, it doesn't repeat it self, it tells about the character classes.

[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red] I know that they aren't original [i]battle[/i] and [i]magic system[/i] wise, but the stories have been pretty origional, as have the characters...anyways, yes, somethings in the span of the series have been redundant, but I think square has done a great job. As for FFT, I'm just playing through it, it's the most challenging FF I've ever played, and that's why I love it :love: . Anyways, you are right, it kind of does look like FFT...[/color]

You're right about the redundancy, Cloud.

FF7: OK, everyone, time to take the Highwind, Cid's precious airship, to the glowing dark orb hanging above the north part of the earth, where the final boss waits.

FF8: N/a. Skipped the (IMO, sloggy) bugger.

FF9: OK, everyone, time to take the Hildegard I, Cid's precious airship, to the glowing dark orb hanging above the giant tree sticking out of the earth, where the final boss waits.

FF10: Oh my, shock and amazement, time to take Cid's precious airship to the glowing snarling beast floating in midair, where the final boss awaits.

I mean, come ON! oy oy oy...I swear to everything good and holy, if they did the same thing in FF8...or any other...oy.

But, yes, FF7 truly does stand as a masterpiece of a story (albeit confusing sometimes, but still), from all the FFs I've played (includes 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10).

I've been playing FF games since they came out. I've played the Japanese only 2 and 3 translated ROMs as well. For me, something has been missing from the series since FF6 (which was simply FF3 back when I bought it... PSX didn't even exist lol).

I LOVE RPGs. You can ask anyone. I prefer Enix, Game Arts and Atlus over Square anyday though. FF is a great series, but I'd rather play series like Persona, Lunar, Star Ocean, Dragon Warrior, Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre (although Square owns that now) etc... or one time games like Valkyrie Profile. Persona 2 is possibly my favorite PSX RPG.

Honestly, I like Square's non-FF games more than FF lately. Xenogears, Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross trounce FF lately in my opinion. I am obviously in the minority lol. I think FFX picked up the series a bit in some ways though.

I just think it would be nice to inject some new concepts into FF and see what it could do in a different way. I know all about the different things each FF has gotten along the years, but looking at this game... It seems to be a pretty big departure from what we are all used to, which for me is a good thing :).

I could get into the whole story problem I have with FF, but I'll do that only if asked lol. Not to say FF is a bad series, I think it's great... But I love other series far more.

Edit --- I forgot Front Mission 3. Very, very excellent mech strategy game by Square. Love that to pieces lol.

[color=indigo]Mmm...cute FF chicks... :drool: ...Oh, um, yeah, um...I like the look of the characters, heheh. And yeah, they do look kind of like characters from FFT. (Never played it, but I've seen screen shots and stuff). I can't wait for this game to come out. FF will finally be returning to Nintendo, after all these years of waiting. (I just [i]knew[/i] it had to happen some day!) :)[/color]

[color=royalblue]AnimeLover, I find that the [i]story[/i] of FF games is what tends to be more similar than the battle systems.

The problem is when either the story or battle system is particularly bad.

In Final Fantasy IX, the story was horrible. And that was a shame...because the art was gorgeous...the battle system was finely tuned and the core gameplay elements were pretty solid. But that highly redundant story just weighed it all down.

On the other hand, Final Fantasy VII was a great mix of everything. The battle system was pretty well done (though not my favourite), the story was wonderful...and the characters became very likeable.

Final Fantasy X is a beautiful game...it's definitely a masterpiece in its own right. The Sphere Grid is absolutely brilliant (my favourite levelling up system EVER)...the battle system is also spot on.

The characters are, for the most part, very well done. But the background story (in my opinion) leaves a little to be desired so far. Some of it is pretty predictable. Of course, it's not as bad as FFIX...but it's not the best Square have come up with.

So, yeah...story is key. But if the core gameplay is no fun, then it's not worth bothering with. At least FFX is great fun to play...which makes the story less important.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]AnimeLover, I find that the [i]story[/i] of FF games is what tends to be more similar than the battle systems.

Final Fantasy X is a beautiful game...it's definitely a masterpiece in its own right. The Sphere Grid is absolutely brilliant (my favourite levelling up system EVER)...the battle system is also spot on.

The characters are, for the most part, very well done. But the background story (in my opinion) leaves a little to be desired so far. Some of it is pretty predictable. Of course, it's not as bad as FFIX...but it's not the best Square have come up with.

So, yeah...story is key. But if the core gameplay is no fun, then it's not worth bothering with. At least FFX is great fun to play...which makes the story less important.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red] The story for most RPGs is that either A.The world is going to be destroyed by a bad guy, B. A bad guy has taken over the world and you have to stop him...so yeah, I'd say the stories haven't been origional [i]at times[/i]. But Square has done a wonderful job, at least with 1-7, in my opinion. As for FFX, yeah the Sphere Grid was a very intuitive idea. It worked greatly. The characters do leave more to be desired, and at times, like when Yuna and Tidus were lauging, it can be prettty stupid. It was a very well done game in its own right though.[/color]

[B]The laugh scene was one of the worst gaming moments ever for me. It was so ebarassing to watch and listen to that I actually got up and closed my door so no one would hear it lol. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red] I almost shut off my PS2, I couldn't stand it. Man that scene just left a really bad taste in my mouth...worst...gaming...moment...ever (almost)[/color]

[B]
Honestly, I like Square's non-FF games more than FF lately. Xenogears, Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross trounce FF lately in my opinion. I am obviously in the minority lol. I think FFX picked up the series a bit in some ways though. [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkblue]Thats the reason why square is my favorite company, not for Final Fantasy, but for the other games, like xenogears and chrono trigger, and all those alike.

After FF7, 8, 9 and 10, have all been similar, you notice a big difference between FF7 anf FFT don't ya? but do you notice that big of a difference from FF7 and FF9? Not really....

They need something new... [/COLOR]

James asked me to stick this in here...

If you've been keeping up with Square lately then you might know that they plan to make some spin-offs/sequels to FFX. One was to star Yuna, and the other would star Rikku. I'm not sure if they became one game now or what is up, but anyway...

There was a poster for sale at TGS this past weekend that advertises the game. It's now known as FFX: Another Lord. Seems like a big change lol.

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~somewhtdamaged/yuna.jpg[/img]

I can't find the original without the gamera.com logo anymore sadly.

Now on the left is someone with a sword like Tidus'... but honestly the body build is nothing alike. The one on the right is simliar to Rikku, but the build also seems different... I guess it could be another Al-Bhed or something heh.

Edit (some spoilers maybe) --

I've been thinking about this... I've never beaten FFX (I got to some desert where I lost the other characters, and someone borrowed my game), but I am thinking this is somehow about the Al-Bhed. I will explain why, if something is wrong with this tell me :).

Both of the characters in the background look like they wear Al-Bhed clothing. At first the Tidus style sword threw me off... But didn't Wakka say that sword originally belonged to his brother? I believe the whole reason that Wakka had a problem with his brother was that his brother joined the Al-Bhed. Well now suddenly we have someone with the same sword in Al-Bhed clothing. I am willing to bet that is Wakka's brother.

Then we have that Rikku looking character. If it is her, I don't know. But it is possible that the original idea of one Rikku game and one Yuna game were merged into one.

Lastly is something I thought of, and James also pointed out. Yuna has guns; only the Al-Bhed use guns and most machinery in FFX. Yuna did know Wakka's brother afterall, so it is likely they could be friends and team up.

Anyways, that's my speculation lol.

[color=royalblue]O_O looks amazing!

I didn't see a picture like this; only that crappy IGN one that is too small.

The clothing is very similar to the Final Fantasy X clothing set...though of course, Yuna had very distinctive clothing in that game.

Now, she seems to be more "like the others", so to speak.

Still, it looks very interesting...I can't wait to see more of this game.[/color]

[COLOR=darkblue]there is a whole bunch of more info on this website if any of you are interested in FF:CC, it also has a few more pics of the game.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/rpgamer826/screens.html[/url] [/COLOR]

*eyes Yuna poster* Oh no...no....NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Yeesh, they already killed ChronoTrigger with ChronoCross' story (IMO, gameplay good, story good in self but bad in relation to CT)--now they're gonna do it to FFX as well? :bawl:

But then again, I shouldn't knock it till I play...if I do. What's this about SquareSoft going back to Nintendo? The whole reason I bought a PS2 instead of a Cube was to keep following the FF series...argh. Poor me, heh. :bluesweat

IMO, the two shadowy characters remind me of Lulu on the left, and Rikku on the right, shape wise. They definitely seem feminine, whoever they are. I'm a little bothered that Yuna's got a Tomb Raider look going on...oy. No Auron, I bet, either. :smooch:
Everyone else: [i]Would you quit with Auron already?!?[/i]
Me: No. *happy grin*

Yep, Cube is getting FF:CC exclusively (which supposedly will have a GBA version as well; at the very least it links to the GBA).

Supposedly there are more GC games coming from them too, but it's all just rumors right now. The latest one being that the system is getting some sort of version of FFT and another Chocobo game. I wouldn't put any faith in that yet though. Sony put out some sort of public release saying they are upset with Square and Capcom getting so friendly with Nintendo, oh well :).

I'm rather surprised by the sudden change in Yuna's... Innocence? lol

I prefer CC over CT personally, but that's another matter :).

• 5 weeks later...
I know the last post was my own, but there isn't really a way around this. I figured it would be nice to bump this up anyway. Square is having their conference in Japan tomorrow, and this is historically when they show off the next main FF game. FFXII is rumored to make an appearance, but FFX-2 is basically what is going to be talked about. FFX-2 being this Yuna centric game called Another Lord.

I've read some translated articles on the game, and I can't find a link just now... But the game is centered on Yuna, and honestly sounds a lot like Tomb Raider. Yuna uses two guns; she can jump and climb obstacles; drives different vehicles in the game... Apparently, the battles will still be FF like though, using some sort of Active Time Battle system like other FF games do. I'm not positive on that yet though.

Here's the first supposed image (could be from FFX, someone would have to tell me heh - clothes are a lot different though). A lot more should follow tomorrow, and if we're lucky some new XII and Crystal Chronicle info. There is also a rumor of another Square GC game, but who knows yet.

[img]http://www.ruliweb.com/data/news3/10m/21/ps2/ff102.jpg[/img]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B]I'm a little bothered that Yuna's got a Tomb Raider look going on...oy.[/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=green]Lol, I noticed that too. I would go with the "Yuna crossed with Rikku" story, Yuna has those shorts that Rikku wears, and a few other things are changed too.

All in all, I hope that they don't destroy the game and that it is as good as (or even better) than FFX, as this will be the first FF sequel they make. Let's hope they make it good. :)[/size][/color]

You're right about the Lulu thing too... I had never really thought of her, since the Al-Bhed people dress oddly in the first place. He hair style certainly seems simliar.

Is it just me, or does this seem to be trying to cash in on some sort of sex appeal with the female FFX characters...?

Edit- My servers go out from time to time... The images still work, so if they aren't showing up, try them later.

[B]Is it just me, or does this seem to be trying to cash in on some sort of sex appeal with the female FFX characters...?[/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=green]Works for me =P

I think they are though, I've never seen a female FF character posing like Lara Croft o.O[/size][/color]

:angel: [COLOR=indigo]I like her shorts............. this much <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Sex appeal is quite obviously present, but Yuna looks indeed quite attractive in that new costume.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo]Hmm I believe Wakka's brother is named Chappu, shouldnt Lulu be involved seeing as she was in love with him? Hmm I like the looks of the FFX spin off, but hmm, it better make a change from FFXI.[/COLOR]