OtakuBoards

Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion

James

[color=indigo]IGNcube has uncovered some interesting new information on Metroid Prime for GameCube.

Apparently the first person view of the game is designed to allow you to see through Samus's eyes. Literally.

In order to produce this effect, the game will visibly show the helmet infront of your face. The visor of the helmet will have various digital displays regarding enemies and information about the local environment.

In addition, it has been mentioned that if your visor gets wet, you'll actually see streaks of water running along it infront of your face, which could mean that you'll have to consider the environment more deeply.

I think it's a great idea and I really hope that it does justice to the Metroid franchise. IGNcube has created a mockup of what this feature could look like, as shown below. Remember that this isn't an actual shot; it's a mockup of how the game could possibly look.[/color]

[IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/metroidprime/metroidprimeview1.jpg[/IMG]

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one aspect of Retro that's never been questioned is the quality of their artists. Hopefully the gameplay lives up to the promise of the visuals. One more week until spaceworld, when we'll get to see movies of the game. To bad it won't be playable.

• 6 months later...
[color=royalblue]Ahh yes. Metroid Prime was the source of much controversy shortly after it was "revealed" at Spaceworld 2000.

During last year, there were various problems surrounding development of the game. The game's developer, Retro Studios, had laid off group after group of staff and Nintendo's EAD department (Entertainment, Analysis & Development) was forced to physically step-in and ensure that the game was being produced to Nintendo's standards.

Initial footage looked somewhat poor and many Metroid-purists claimed that the game's new "First Person Adventure" style was effectively the last nail in the coffin for the game.

To naysayers, I say: "Oh yee of little faith!" ;)

The early dark days of Metroid Prime's development are over. And Nintendo EAD's more consultative and involving approach with game development has clearly had the desired effect; not only does Metroid graphically make Halo look shoddy and awkward, but the game's "First Person Adventure" style is actually winning acclaim from various gaming publications due to its smoothe implementation.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Matt Casamassina, IGNcube[/i][b]

I have to say that out of all the software recently previewed to us at Nintendo's Las Vegas presence, Metroid Prime looked the best.

So why is Metroid so hot? Well, let me first reiterate what Mr. Miyamoto said during our interview with him -- that the series has gone back to its roots, in first-person mode. According to Miyamoto, Metroid Prime is all about "exploration," which is exactly what all of us want.

The footage rocked. Retro's art experience is impressive. Samus busted through 3D environments at 60 frames per second. The visor view that looks so amazing in screenshots comes off even better in motion, I can verify. When one targets an enemy, the visor flips up all sorts of tactical data on the side of the screen, along with blue prints and other neat goodies, and meanwhile the target system moves around and centers in on the beasts. There is also a kind of thermal-view and yet another one beyond that -- both very stylistic. [/b][/QUOTE]
[color=royalblue]
Yep, it's not just another cliched first person shooter. The game's focus is on exploration and adventure -- the first person view may very well benefit the game in the longrun. Not to mention the fact that the "visor view" makes the player feel more centered -- as if they're actually exploring, rather than just being "a floating hand" like in other FPS games.[/color]

[QUOTE][I]Matt Casamassina, IGNcube[/i][b]

I can tell everyone once and for all that the game plays primarily in first-person mode and that the 3D-camera system is not controlled manually. It happens automatically depending on the environment and situation, according to Miyamoto. So if Samus happens to be exploring a tunnel with ramps, for instance, the camera automatically pans back to reveal her third-person form, and from here she can roll into a ball and do her thing. [/QUOTE][/b]

[IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/2002-03-04-metroidprimefootin1.jpg[/IMG]
[color=royalblue]
And there we have it. The intuitive and practical camera system appears to be the best of both worlds -- utilizing a first person view mode for standard play, while automatically switching to a third person view when the player's actions require it.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Matt Casamassina, IGNcube[/i][b]

The footage also showcased areas in which Samus had to use her gadgetry to take advantage of the level. One scene had her using a freeze beam to gain access over a chasm. Interesting, when the grapple-hook-like gadget pulled her across the abyss below, the view remained in first-person -- and it actually looked good this way. Not disorienting at all. A lot of PC players will recognize this technique as it has been used in some previous first-person shooters.

Another, perhaps even cooler demonstration, featured an ice area in which the gap to the other side was far too big to cross. However, upon careful examination, Samus discovered a group of stalactites hanging from the ceiling over the gap. She shot them, they fell, and became platforms for her to cross. It was brilliant. [/QUOTE]
[/b]

[IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/metroid030204a.jpg[/IMG]

[color=royalblue]As you can see, the game's environments are reminiscant of the original game's environments, in the sense that they offer a moody and deep atmosphere. To back up my point, here is yet another comment from Matt Casamassina regarding the game's visuals (remember, the video that the media have seen recently isn't yet available to the public).[/color]

[QUOTE][I]Matt Casamassina, IGNcube[/i][b]

Visually -- wow. Great art, huge 3D worlds, detailed texture work, amazingly detailed particle effects and what looked to be some form of per-pixel lighting. Samus' ball glows purple underneath and sends out flashes of light that illuminate her metal shell and it looks particularly beautiful. And let me once again stress that the visor display is by far the coolest of any first-person game ever created, hands-down. What a superb style this game has going.

In the end, we didn't get to play it so there is no telling how everything stacks up play-wise. But boy, does it look promising. I'm very happy. And this is now one of my most wanted games on any system. Fran, I think, agrees.

Everyone should be excited. [/b][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Everyone should be excited: I know I certainly am. Metroid Prime is now on my "top three" list as one of my most wanted games. Here are Fran Mirabella's comments on the video:[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Fran Mirabella III, IGNcube[/i][b]

I do indeed agree with Matt.

I'm finally getting really -- and I mean really -- excited about Metroid Prime. I'm a die-hard Metroid fan -- I have a SAMUS license plate on my car for cryin' out loud -- and was really put off by the first-person announcement. I thought it would be an okay first-person shooter, but wasn't counting on it feeling like, say, Super Metroid. After seeing the new footage and talking to Miyamoto... I'm starting to be convinced. Miyamoto specifically said it is not a first-person shooter; it's an exploration title from a first-person perspective. The man is notorious for staying focused and polishing upon that. That said, I truly believe it will feel different than a first-person shooter overall. [/QUOTE][/B]

[color=royalblue]Yet another glowing account -- especially regarding the first person shooter issue. I believe that Nintendo and Retro can truly do justice to the game using this perspective (particularly as many of Retro's staffers are ex Valve, ID software etc employees).[/color]

[IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/2002-03-04-metroidprimefootin3.jpg[/IMG]

[color=royalblue]It's relatively hard to convey in static screenshots, but these HUD visuals are said to be absolutely incredible.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Fran Mirabella III, IGNcube[/i][b]

Truly, it looks amazing. Retro's art team is doing things you've always dreamed of but rarely come true. The visor view is ambitious and could be totally botched by an untalented team. After seeing it in motion, I'm hooked on it. It gives the first-person view a meaning. You don't feel like you're an arm floating around. You're inside Samus' suit, and you're rocking some alien arse.

Metroid Prime, even in this early form, already presents polish and stunning attention to detail. Retro may have gone through its rough period, but with Miyamoto conferencing with the team on a weekly basis things are looking very bright. Metroid Prime is poised to be one of the most stunning GameCube titles released this year based on the tour de force of footage we saw. I think you'll agree too once Nintendo finally releases the footage. [/QUOTE][/B]

[color=royalblue]So there you have it. Despite being a Nintendo-oriented site, IGNcube were actually quite skeptical of the whole FPA issue when Metroid Prime was first unveiled.

To see such an about-face on the issue suggests that they are truly impressed with the game's development.

I am really looking forward to Metroid Prime -- and I'm wondering, based on this new information...who here is planning to purchase the game once it is available?[/color]

Hehe, this new is really intriguing considering that I expressed my doubts about the game not too long ago. Wow, does this information bury a lot of them. I'm really looking forward to the explaration aspects of the game. In my book, a first person shooter that focuses on nothing but blasting away the baddies just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm sad to admit it, but Halo left me hanging a little. Sure the enemies were very intelligent and fun to fight, but after offing them with limited puzzles for a few hours, I was bored.

Anyway, there is only one thing that I'm curious about. Conspicuous by its absence, was any mention of multiplayer information. I guess if it's not in there, Nintendo's just focusing on building great designs (both world and enemy) and implementing a killer storyline.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]Hehe, this new is really intriguing considering that I expressed my doubts about the game not too long ago. Wow, does this information bury a lot of them. I'm really looking forward to the explaration aspects of the game. In my book, a first person shooter that focuses on nothing but blasting away the baddies just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm sad to admit it, but Halo left me hanging a little. Sure the enemies were very intelligent and fun to fight, but after offing them with limited puzzles for a few hours, I was bored.[/QUOTE][/B]

[color=royalblue]I think that, as a genre, first person shooters are starting to show their age.

This goes back to what I was saying to Masterfork about FPS games on PC being merely "visual updates with predictable gameplay". This doesn't mean that games like Duke Nukem Forever and such will be [i]bad[/i] as such...but they will be predictable. I bet you can already assume what they will include.

Games like Goldeneye really demonstrated what can be done with the first person perspective. While Goldeneye didn't do anything so radically different, it still opened new doors in storytelling and gameplay for first person games. Also, there is often a perception that first person perspective games either have to be shooters or boring puzzlers. But I don't see why this perspective can't be used in a more creative way: as Metroid Prime appears to be doing.

This is why I say Halo was way overrated -- it was basically the same thing over again, but with nice visuals. This is a trend that I really hope will change in future games.[/color][QUOTE][B]

Anyway, there is only one thing that I'm curious about. Conspicuous by its absence, was any mention of multiplayer information. I guess if it's not in there, Nintendo's just focusing on building great designs (both world and enemy) and implementing a killer storyline. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]It's definitely going to be interesting to find out about multiplayer aspects of this game. Metroid Prime has the opportunity to be like Goldeneye, in terms of having a strong multiplayer contingent. That very contingent may end up being a strong selling point.

Though I suspect that the game will instead focus on single player gaming, particularly due to the series' history and storytelling/adventure aspects that have been mentioned.[/color]

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]And Nintendo EAD's more consultative and involving approach with game development has clearly had the desired effect; not only does Metroid graphically make Halo look shoddy and awkward, but the game's "First Person Adventure" style is actually winning acclaim from various gaming publications due to its smoothe implementation.[/color][/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=teal]I agree with this completely. From the accounts you have given us, as well as the astounding screen shots, I can deffinitly say that Nintendo has found a rival for Halo, if it has not already. The way it's first-person screen is grafically designed with all of the stats and whatnot, it just goes to show how evolved gaming has come to. The only thing I feel that it needs, is a single view, but then again, with two you can do so much more. Also, did you mention when it is to be released? Thank you so much for the information and pictures, by the way.

To add to the part about the multiplayer, I think that it would be nice, but not mandatory. I'm sorry, but when I think about Metroid, multiplayer just doesn't seem like a wise idea, and adding it would just conflict with another aspect of Crazy White Boy's dislikes. With multiplayer, it would be doing what almost all other first-person shooter games are doing, one of the things that makes Halo so "overrated."[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White boy[/i]
[b]I guess if it's not in there, Nintendo's just focusing on building great designs (both world and enemy) and implementing a killer storyline.[/b][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=teal]I agree that this will be what Nintendo is planing on. But it's not only what I think, I don't see any accounts or pictures concerning multiplayer either. This may be for the best, in Metroid Prime's popularity, though.[/COLOR]

:blah:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solid Snake [/i]
[B]
[COLOR=teal]I agree with this completely. From the accounts you have given us, as well as the astounding screen shots, I can deffinitly say that Nintendo has found a rival for Halo, if it has not already. The way it's first-person screen is grafically designed with all of the stats and whatnot, it just goes to show how evolved gaming has come to. The only thing I feel that it needs, is a single view, but then again, with two you can do so much more. Also, did you mention when it is to be released? Thank you so much for the information and pictures, by the way.[/COLOR]

:blah: [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]It is due to be released in 2002, though I have no idea what the actual date is.

I'm personally very happy with the visor-view...I think it's an incredibly cool effect which really adds to the atmosphere of the game. It may also be useful in terms of providing a place for important real-time statistics, which could not only make the game more involving, but actually help the player in tough situations.[/color]

Guest Jabroni3:16
I have been wanting to play this game since a long long time ago, when i first heard about it from my brother. I have supported the First Person View from the start, and i am glad people are starting to warm up to the idea, i just can't picture Samus in a 3rd person type view in an Action Adventure, i can really only picture it as a 1st person game.

I would just like to ask you guys if you have actually played Halo? I myself, that is before i got an X-Box, was in the same mind frame, "Oh that game has been done before, nothing new here" but the game is actually really fun, much more than alot of console FPSs in the past. What made this game partially what it is is it's controls the best FPS controls i have used on a console yet, and i am interested as to how Retro is going to go about this, i guess you could call it, problem. Much like RE1. Anyway, i am really REALLY excited for this game. I haven't had the time to look into it as much as James has so i want to ask, is this game going to be presented in 5.1? Or 6.1 maybe?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jabroni3:16 [/i]
[B]

I would just like to ask you guys if you have actually played Halo? I myself, that is before i got an X-Box, was in the same mind frame, "Oh that game has been done before, nothing new here" but the game is actually really fun, much more than alot of console FPSs in the past. What made this game partially what it is is it's controls the best FPS controls i have used on a console yet, and i am interested as to how Retro is going to go about this, i guess you could call it, problem. Much like RE1. Anyway, i am really REALLY excited for this game. I haven't had the time to look into it as much as James has so i want to ask, is this game going to be presented in 5.1? Or 6.1 maybe? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]I've played Halo somewhat, but mostly, I've relied on friends who own the game.

From what I know, it's certainly a well-presented FPS...but it doesn't really innovate on any fundamental levels.

As for the sound issue, I hope that Metroid uses Dolby Pro Logic II (ala Rogue Leader), though I am unsure as to whether or not this will be the case.

In terms of controls, I think that the GameCube controller is best suited for this type of game. If Retro/Nintendo really make good use of its unique design...Metroid could really go far.[/color]

Im personally looking forward to Metroid Prime, because I've never really got to completed the SNES version, "Super Metroid."It was a blast while it lasted though I remember all the explorations that took place in the game along with tough strageties getting from one place to another.

If I ever have any chance of playing the game again, I'll definitely take the offer and put all my effort into the game.

Aside from having a little experience playing past Metroid games that interested me in Metroid Prime, I also wanna feel the experience on how Metroid fans felt while playing and completing the original Metroid game series.Someday I hope I will experience it because I never ever wanna miss out on a great Nintendo creation.

Now onto the point from all the screenshots and informations provided, Metroid Prime seems like its gonna be a platanium title when it releases with all the great environments,and best of all it won't feel like most FPS game rather than all out action,there'll be tons of explorations to do.

You can expect me to be at my local store when Metroid Prime releases.:)

[color=indigo]Before reading this, I've always been all out against the first person view. The only FPS that I've ever liked was Perfect Dark, and that was many for the co-op play.

I was planning on renting it first, and then [i]maybe[/i] buying it, but now I'm going to reserve it as soon as I can. Exploring is my favorite thing to do in games, and it sounds like there's going to be tons of it in Metroid Prime.

I do hope that there won't be swarms of enemies all over the place, though. In Super Metroid, there were big parts where there was barely any enemies, and you had to explore for awhile to find where to go (remember Maridia?).

I also hope that you won't have ammo for your normal gun, just like you didn't in the other Metroid games. For special weapons, sure, but not for your normal gun.
I hope that a lot of the upgrades will return, also. Like the Spazer, and the Spring Ball (both from Super Metroid). Those were two of my favorite upgrades.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Before reading this, I've always been all out against the first person view. The only FPS that I've ever liked was Perfect Dark, and that was many for the co-op play.

I was planning on renting it first, and then [i]maybe[/i] buying it, but now I'm going to reserve it as soon as I can. Exploring is my favorite thing to do in games, and it sounds like there's going to be tons of it in Metroid Prime.

I do hope that there won't be swarms of enemies all over the place, though. In Super Metroid, there were big parts where there was barely any enemies, and you had to explore for awhile to find where to go (remember Maridia?).

I also hope that you won't have ammo for your normal gun, just like you didn't in the other Metroid games. For special weapons, sure, but not for your normal gun.
I hope that a lot of the upgrades will return, also. Like the Spazer, and the Spring Ball (both from Super Metroid). Those were two of my favorite upgrades.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Yep, I have to admit...I was definitely doubting Metroid Prime early on. But then again, when Miyamoto became involved I thought to myself "Would Nintendo really let such a big game go downhill?" Of course, the answer is no. And that is what encourages me.

The beauty of Metroid, in my opinion, is its atmosphere. And the first person view is really the best view for truly relaying that atmosphere to the player. The addition of the combat visor is truly a brilliant addition -- I think it will add a lot to the game overall.

With regard to old Metroid elements...jcgoudy, Miyamoto actually said something with regard to old Metroid games. He said something like "this game will feel a lot like the original and is directly related to the series"...of course, those weren't his exact quotes, but I do remember him saying that basically, Metroid fans need not be worried.

I think that Metroid fans are going to enjoy this game because it will take the original and make it truly immersive and "real".

Also, a lot of old Metroid gadgets/weapons are being included. There are several areas which require use of the grappling hook (I believe that these sections cut to third person when this item is used) and Samus is often seen rolling up into a ball...so I can only assume that this game will feature everything from the original...and even more.

As for multiplayer, I think I agree that in some circumstances, multiplayer could take away from the feel and intent of the game.

But having said that, the idea of Metroid's gorgeous worlds...and fantastical weapons being used in multiplayer is a really enticing thought.

To top it off (for some), a lot of the game's cutscenes will be done in FMV. The FMV I've seen so far is absolutely stunning. It won't be used frequently, but it will really top off this game's storytelling experience.

I firmly believe that Metroid Prime will be a huge game. I'm already really excited about it...and I can't wait to learn more about the story, environments...and other details.

I think this would be a good thread to discuss the game...and perhaps as more info is released, it can be posted here for discussion. It's good to see the threads in our various gaming sections improving over time. :)[/color]