OtakuBoards

Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion

James

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Smoky Joe [/i]
[B]You think that's bad? My local Toys R' Us has it right [B]now[/B], and I have to wait until Thursday to go get both, and a friend borrowed my GC, so I won't be able to play any Metroid until the weekend, since my brother's the only person I know with a GBA. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Dude, that's...dang... That's just not fair... >_<

Well, at least I don't feel quite as bad now... But I doubt that helps you... :cross:

*sits a waits* ...One more day... Only one more day... I'm...going...to...make...it! :twitch:[/color]

Today was actually a pain... I was hoping to get the game last night. I had to wait on my stupid friend that decided to go to sleep at 4 PM when he was supposed to be here at 6. I got a call from him at like 8:30. Gamespot closes at 9, so that was over with.

So he tells me he'll drive me to get it today to make up for that. Well he calls one place (where he supposedly reserved... some guy said he'd hold it... but the lady who answered didn't know what he was talking about). Anyway, she says she has lots of copies... So we should come over.

We get there, and she tells us that she only has copies for people that reserved. This alone was annoying, but it got worse! She says they are in a box and she will open it later. Well, the box was right ****ing next to her! She wouldn't open it to look, while we were standing there with our damn money. We drove all the way out here, and she expected us to come back later.

So then we call another one (over 411), he tells us he has enough. We go there, and the guy doesn't know what we're talking about. He didn't get any phone calls. After talking to him a few minutes, he finally says there is another Gamespot nearby... It took us forever to find this place as it was hidden in a mall that we'd never seen in our lives.

I finally got the game there though. I swear everytime I get a big, new Nintendo game it's HELL.

I got this game fairly easy. Just went into my usual place and just bought it from my friend. I didn't try the game out until a few hours later and I wish I did... This game is really cool. Everything they said about this game is true. GFX are amazing, sound is spooky like your typical Metriod game. And for a FPS, there sure is alot of looking around. I feel like I'm a tourist, looking around and scanning anything that looks funny.

My only gripe is the controls. Its very clunky at first and not being about to freely look around and move without locking on to something is a bit awkward and holding down buttons to do so isn't what many are used to. But as I was playing along it became easier and easier to do so when you get more familiar with the game. The jumping engine works great for a FPS too. When you jump to a platform, you land where you think you'll land. The camera even pitches down a bit so you can keep an eye on the platform and usually we have to do that, but this game does it for you.

Sound of the game is really awesome. Dang, I really wish I had Dolby Prologic II support... it would've been heaven. Love the main menu beat too. In the GFX department, this is insane. Not only do they look nice... they even have animations for just about everything. Your Arm cannon like opens up a bit when you charge it, the charged shot warps everything around it, steam fogs up your visor. Its just great. It blows me away that all of that is on a disk thats half the size of your typical CD with ZERO load time. (well actually there is but its masked with cut scenes and that only happens when you travel from one area to another. Time wise.. I got 1:50 on the game clock and got 4% done. I got work to do...

As for Fusion, I don't care about that one right now. (Hey Prime is the better of the two) I'll get that game later or just play it from someone else to see if its worthy to play on my Afterburned GBA :D I'm at work now and its all I can think about right now... O.O I'm so fired. I want to go home right now and keep playing! AND THEN WHEN I GET THERE I HAVE TO STUDY FOR A BIG EXAM!! *cries*

[color=indigo]Right, I got Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion...finally... I've played Prime some. The last big thing I did was get the Morph Ball, so I'm not all that far into it. And I haven't even opened Fusion yet. I'm still not sure if I'm going to play through Prime first and then play through Fusion, or try to play through both of them at once.

As for what I thought about Metroid Prime, it's lived up to all of the claims about it so far (and all of my expectations). It really does feel like Super Metroid in 3D. I can't wait to get some cool weapons like the Wave Beam!

I, too, had a little difficulty getting used to the control scheme at first, but I got the hang of it by the time I got out of the space station... And I think that was pretty much the whole point of having the space station at the start, so you could get used to the controls, except for story purposes.

Once you do get used to the controls, however, they're really quite easy to use. At first, not being able to strafe and turn at the same time, or look up and down while moving was a bit awkward, but I found you don't really need to with the targeting system.

As for the graphics...they're the best graphics I've seen on the GameCube. They're absolutely amazing, and the way that there's plants and grass and all sorts of little things all over make it look very realistic. I think my favorite effect is when you jump out of a pool of water, and little drops of water run down the outside of the visor. I can only imagine what they're like on a TV with progressive scan. (My TV is old and crappy--I can't even tell the difference between using an RF switch and AV cables). >_<

The sound is just as good. I love the music. It's perfect for setting the mood of each area (although, I've only been to three different areas, including the space station), but it isn't intrusive enough to it distract you while you're fighting enemies. The sound effects are also just as good. I think my favorite is when you charge up a shot with the Charge Beam, and then fire it.

Overall, Metroid Prime is, so far, the best game I've played on the GameCube. I absolutely love this game.[/color]

Guest chou janemba
i bought metroid prime the other day. the game shipped two days early, and i almost boke the case open while unrapping it. i have been playing nonstop since monday. however, i have come to a point in the game, where, dare i say it? i am stuck. i havent to faintest clue as to where to go, as i need the varia suit, but i dont see that happening. so if any of you kind people could give me a link to an FAQ/guide i would be etternally greatful. also, dont read any further than this if you havent beaten the first area. but what do you guys think about ridley being alive?

This is when the backtracking and all that scanning comes into play man. From what it sounds like, you're just running and shooting. Thats what my lil did and although is a bit behind me... I have way more equipment and covered more ground then he did. I do know where to get the suit to get to Magmoor Cavern (But I strongly recommend you get whatever you can... this place is no joke...)just PM me if you really want to know... Also if you leave that little help message option on... it usually hints ya on what you can do next...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TheDarkOtaku [/i]
[B]I'm gonna' get Fusion definitely. :D I'm hesitating on Prime because I don't like shooters much. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Neither do I... But you know what? I absolutely love Metroid Prime. With it's control style, it really isn't like your standard first person shooter. It sure doesn't seem like it, especially since you can lock onto enemies, and you can't look up and down while moving. Also, thiis game isn't all about blasting as many enemies as you can. As the developers have said, it's mainly about exploration. Sure, there are enemies, but they're not swarming [i]all over[/i] in every room.

I'd at least rent this game and try it out. It'd be a real shame to miss out on it.

Oh, and by the way, nice banner ZeroG214. ;)[/color]

I had forgotten to save so many times now... I find myself having to redo stuff I've already done.... The great thing is, I don't mind it at all. Everything about this game is fun. I even love the backtracking aspects, which are very Metroid. I'm glad they kept them in. It'ce nice getting a new item and trying to remember a place you saw that you need it for.

The boss fights so far are some of the best I've ever seen in a game of this type. They all make nice use of your items, and some are pretty damn hard the first time around. I've died a few times to some of the bosses (by the way, the death animation sequence is great lol).

I love FPS games to pieces, and I honestly do not think this feels like a FPS whatsoever. Think Super Metroid, that's honestly the closest comparision there is... And even I am surprised by that.

I finallly got a nice amount of time in the game now, and I'm in the Drifts... Yet another boss has killed me :D.

[color=indigo]Death animation sequence? The only thing that I saw when I died (it's happened twice now, both on boss/mini-boss fights) was my visor blurring out and going to static, and then I restart at the last time I saved it... Oh, yeah, and I hear a scream from Samus... Am I missing something here?[/color]

Yeah, that's all I'm talking about... I dunno, I thought it was pretty cool haha. Better than most first person games, where you just fall over and it says Game Over.

Anyway, I'm loving this game. There are so many little details that add to what is already a really polished, fun and beautiful game... When you're outside on Talon IV, rain drops splash on your gun and if you look up they hit your visor; jumping out of water and having it roll down your visor is still pretty cool after all this time; there are more types and colors of alien blood to splatter on you than I expected...

I don't know how far everyone else is, but I don't want to ruin anything. I have a few new beams and visors, and they are all great. Everything is coming together in this game so well, and I'm willing to go as far as saying this is the best game I've ever played.

Yeah, the death seqence is pretty cool alright. I'm pretty far into the game. Last time I checked I got somewhere over 60% done and taking the time to go back to areas I couldn't get with any new toys I get. ^_^ Although some of the weapons are from Super Metroid, this game makes them extremely wicked. (The effects of the Ice Beam is great). Game is starting to get a little difficult for me now as I was traveling through a new area and there wasn't any save points in sight. Eventually, I lost too much power and tried to turn back before it was too late.... unforunately it was and got killed for the second time since I first started playing. :/ In return, I went back into that area and let loose on more powerful weapons I had. :devil: Truely a great game people. Don't Rent. Buy!

Oh and thanks Desbreko. I got it from this cool guy who just so happen be named Desbreko too. :P Clearly shows what games we are playing. :)

I have Prime already, but I won't be able to play it until I get back my GC.
Fusion, on the other hand...God it rocks! I've almost finished it, and I gotta say that I'll be playing it years from now.
The stage design is amazing. Some things may seem outta place at first, but eventually, you'll see those things with new eyes.
You know that other Samus from the commercial? Her name is SA-X, and she alone makes the game worth buying...

Alright, I got Fusion... Well got a Visual Boy Advance Emulator and got Fusion off of Kazaa... I must say, its hard. Well for me it is, I can't seem to jump and roll in mid air then move to the left all in a small space. Its on Sector 1 I think... I really like playing the game though, I normally don't like challenging games of this calibur but I must say, I'm kind of addicted.

I also got a chance to play Prime at Electronic Boutique, I really like it! Although it was for a short time... I need to go back to the mall more offend now... Hehee... Most of my friends have a PS2 or XBOX and I don't own a GCN, although I MAY get one in the future for other reasons that I won't get into. So there is only a slim chance that I'll play it much. :(

[EDIT] One last note, I just got my newest issue of EGM, they call it the game of the month and it recieved perfect 10's from the three staff members that reviewed the game. They love it!

[color=indigo]I got Fusion at the same time as Prime, but I only just played it today. (I couldn't stop playing Prime). :D I haven't gotten all that far, but I have to say, it's been totally awesome so far. It sucks you in and won't let go, just like Super Metroid did, and I find myself torn between playing Fusion and Prime, because they're both that way. :cross:

So far, Fusion has been just as good as Prime, in my opinion, along with Super Metroid, too. Infact, I have the urge to play it right now, heh... I guess I will be playing both Prime and Fusion at the same time, then, though I'll probably be playing Prime more.[/color]

Thats one of the reasons why I didn't get both at the same time. Both are good so it'll be hard to focus on both at the same time. The other reason why is cuz it hurts my wallet too much. :( I'm addicted to Prime... I spent up to 2 am last night playing. I wasn't playing stright at first... I just turned it on just to see what to whats waiting for me around the corner... Something incredible happened to me around that corner and I wanted to scream in joy but couldn't cuz it was 2 am! Hmm.. perhaps I should get the emulator to Fusion in the meantime to see if I should buy it now or later...

Now for a few questions. How far is everyone in the game and how many times have you been killed in the game since you first started?
Me I got about 72% done now and got like over 14 hours playing. I'm not to sure on the numbers cause I can't remember :P I'll edit this later for the actual numbers. As for death... I got killed twice in action, first during the first area cause I wasn't used to the controls yet, the second was going through a new area and was losing energy on every turn I make with no save points in sight. Eventually, I lost too much power and tried turning back before it was too late but was killed along the way. :/ *screams* THERE'S TOO MUCH STUFF TO TALK ABOUT AND I CAN'T SPOIL IT FOR EVERYONE!!! *cries*

[color=indigo]I've been taking my time and going through slowly and thoroughly, so I'm only at 34% after playing for about 10 hours. The last big thing that I did was get the Wavebuster combo, after getting the Spider Ball. Since then I've just been running around collecting Missile containers and stuff that I wasn't able to get to before.

I've died twice. The first time was in the fight for Missiles. I got knocked off the platform into the poisonous water, and I couldn't get back up. The second time was when I was fighting the Flaagra in the Chozo Ruins. I couldn't figure out how to keep it from flipping the mirrors back into place after I flipped them until right before I died. >_<[/color]

Shoot... I'm just about done with this game. Got 86% and exactally 16 hours on the clock and I know I missed some weapons. (Energy tanks and missle expanions only, I got the other beam combo weapons). I hate it when this happens... From what my map says, I've been everywhere, now I gotta go everywhere again scanning everything -__- Whats more is that game has like 3 different endings. Each varies on how much the percentage done is. It goes from 100%-90%, 89%-70%, and 69% or less, or something like that. Don't know what the difference is though plus you have to have 100% done to unlock the stuff you can unlock without Metroid Fusion.

[color=indigo]Yes! Finally, a Metroid game that gives you the best ending based off how much of the stuff you've gotten instead of how long you took to complete it! I was really hoping that they'd do it that way, because I like to take Metroid games slow and make sure I get everything. I can't stand rushing through as fast as I can to get the best ending. >_< (I really, really, really hate time limits).

I wonder if we'll get to see Samus out of her suit for the best ending, like you did with the first three games. It'd be cool to see Samus in 3D without her suit on.

Super Metroid ending sprites:[/color]

[img]http://www.desbreko.netfirms.com/Misc/SamusNoSuit1.gif[/img] [img]http://www.desbreko.netfirms.com/Misc/SamusNoSuit2.gif[/img] [img]http://www.desbreko.netfirms.com/Misc/SamusNoSuit3.gif[/img]