Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
:D Animations, or anime, are originally japanese in language. Given the case, hte context are japanese also. But what really bugs me is how poorly some stations choose their dubbers for a specific character. What's more is that some lines are somewhat literally translated, changing the original context of the story of the anime.

Don't you agree?

extra! extra!
- hey everyone, don't you think gaara, or gahara, is really cool? I think so. But Some might disagree with me. Anyway, all your suggestions, comments, and questions are welcome.
Posted
[CENTER][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I don't really enjoy dubbed versions
of anime sometimes. Because if you
watch an anime DVD in english with
its regular subtitles you'll see the
subtitles don't match the english
translation at all. [/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/CENTER]
Posted
[quote name='eljuaneza']Animations, or anime, are originally japanese in language. Given the case, the context are japanese also.[/quote]
For every anime that's set in modern-day Japan, there are at least two others which take place in a) other countries, b) the distant future, c) an alternate/fantasy world, d) the distant past, e) somewhere else.

For example, look at [b]Monster[/b]. It's set in eastern Europe (primarily Germany and the Czech Republic). The original language may be Japanese, but the [i]context[/i] is wholly different. So I think that particular argument can only be applied to series which take place mainly in contemporary Japan (e.g. [b]Azumanga Daioh[/b]).

~Dagger~
Posted
That's a really good point Dagger. I haven't watched a dubbed anime for years now but the last one I did see dubbed was Tenchi I think ... all of the context was Japanese ... just not the speaking ... I think I probably got your whole post mixed up somewhere ...
Posted
Well, since you mentioned Tenchi... Realistically (yeah, I know it's a moot point), Ayeka, Ryoko, etc. wouldn't even have heard of Japanese, much less know how to speak it fluently. Many aspects of the show are informed by Japanese culture--but even so, that doesn't somehow make Japanese the ideal language choice for the alien characters.

I would say that in Tenchi's case, the language being spoken and the show itself are not inextricably entwined. I mean, when there are hot alien women running around, it's pretty silly to ignore the language barrier by having the entire cast speak either all in Japanese or all in English. That just can't be helped, though. So from my point of view, Tenchi is actually a good example of an anime for which one can't really take the "Japanese context" tack--even though much of it does take place in Japan.

I'm not really sure if that's what you meant, heh, but it's what I was trying to drive at. Sort of.

~Dagger~

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...