Jakehammaren Posted November 24, 2006 Posted November 24, 2006 I'm not gonna lie... I'm kind of obsessed. But hey, is it my fault if every album they release is a masterpiece? Well, I guess I don't totally love Morningrise, but other than that - wow. This band is pure and utter genious. Pretty much the best band ever.
Goodbye, Face Posted November 25, 2006 Posted November 25, 2006 [font=arial][size=1]Just so we're clear, because Jake isn't, Opeth are a brutal metal band with a lot of pretty singing. They're pretty popular, and they deserve all the attention. They're just [i]that good.[/i] I must say, I don't actually own their older stuff yet, and I don't listen to it as much. I found though, that after listening to their last four albums first (I went in the order of [u]Blackwater Park[/u], [u]Ghost Reveries[/u], [u]Deliverance[/u], and then [u]Damnation[/u]) their older work is harder to get into. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not missing out on much. Their new stuff is completely satisfying, I even got my mother into [u]Damnation[/u], since it's not really heavy metal. My favorite album is probably [u]Ghost Reveries[/u], with [u]Blackwater Park[/u] catching up for a photo finish. :p I found some parts of BP to be drawn out, while GR jumped around between moods a lot more and is simliar to other stuff I listen to in its nature. Not much else to say.[/font][/size]
Amorphous Posted November 25, 2006 Posted November 25, 2006 [quote name='RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]Just so we're clear, because Jake isn't, Opeth are a brutal metal band with a lot of pretty singing. They're pretty popular, and they deserve all the attention. They're just [i]that good.[/i][/font'][/size][/quote]This is what we call Extreme Progressive Metal. As far as I am concerned though, this band is boring and their attention is unfounded, I would rather listen to Progressive Death Metal like Disillusion and the likes over Opeth. They barely meet any standards of musical genius as far as I am concerned. Even when I was younger and just getting into metal I never ever understood what was so amazing about Opeth and I had listened to every album by them.
Jakehammaren Posted November 25, 2006 Author Posted November 25, 2006 [QUOTE=Amorphous]This is what we call Extreme Progressive Metal. As far as I am concerned though, this band is boring and their attention is unfounded, I would rather listen to Progressive Death Metal like Disillusion and the likes over Opeth. They barely meet any standards of musical genius as far as I am concerned. Even when I was younger and just getting into metal I never ever understood what was so amazing about Opeth and I had listened to every album by them.[/QUOTE] To each his own. I actually hear this opinion a lot. The Metal world has two Opeth camps: those who hold strong disdain, and those who worship. I am, obviously, of the latter group.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now