Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
That is what I mean but we are not allowed to just move the decimal place over. We have to use a formula. Other wise it will be marked wrong.

The formula is somthing like this.

1kg 1000g
---- ------
1kg

But i'm not too sure how it goes, and that is what I am trying to ask.
Posted
[color=red][b]I got one for you.

Solve the formula for the indicated variable. Then evaluate the rewritten formula for the given value(s). (incude units of measure in your answer)

Area of a Rectangle: A=lw
Solve for l.
Find l when A = 24ft squared and w =8 ft.

go.[/b][/color]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Defcon5 [/i]
[B]That is what I mean but we are not allowed to just move the decimal place over. We have to use a formula. Other wise it will be marked wrong.

The formula is somthing like this.

1kg 1000g
---- ------
1kg

But i'm not too sure how it goes, and that is what I am trying to ask. [/B][/QUOTE]

That formula doesn't look right to me dude. Are you sure its [i]exactly[/i] like that? If ou can give me the exact formula I can work out how it goes. Hmm...or are you actually asking me for the formula, cos if that's the case, I have NO idea! :D

Son Goten:

A=lw -- Equation 1

ie A = l times w

[EDIT]Rewritten formula is l = A / w (ie A divided by w) -- just divide both sides by w.
To use this forumla substitute A=24ft and w=8ft
l = 24 ft / 8 ft
l = 3 (just like below)[/EDIT]

Equation 1 (substituting A=24ft and w=8ft) is:

24ft = 8ft times l

24ft / 8ft = l -- just divide both sides by 8ft

this is the same as:
l = 24ft / 8ft
l = 3 -- (the units of measure cancel each other out, and 24/8 = 3)
Posted
[color=indigo]erm... I believe one of those answers was world war one/hitler. Or something like that. After Germany lost WWI, they were forced to sign a treaty, and basically lost everything. Then, wacky 'ol Hitler comes along, uses the Jews as a scapegoat, brainwashes people, and tries to take over the world-- unsucessfully.

Unless you're talking about actual events and certain dates. Pearl Harbor would definately be one of those. Jeeze. How come I loose all my knowledge about World History from last year??? *grumbles*[/color]
Posted
Well, that's what helping around the house is meant to do, convince him that you're serious and that you're not gonna be bored with PS2 in a few months and want something else.

If you show some effort in trying to get what you want, it makes it easier for him to believe you.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Son Goten [/i]
[B][color=red][b]I got one for you.

Solve the formula for the indicated variable. Then evaluate the rewritten formula for the given value(s). (incude units of measure in your answer)

Area of a Rectangle: A=lw
Solve for l.
Find l when A = 24ft squared and w =8 ft.

go.[/b][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

l = 3

why? because 3 x 8 = 24..
Posted
Response to area formula:
a=l*w
a/w=l*w/w
a/w=l.
Then plug in numbers:
24 ft^2/8ft = 3 ft.

About that fancy kilogram formula:
This is a stupid system (IMO) that is based on manipulating units. Yes, you can just move the decimal point. Yes, if you give me your teacher's e-mail I will try to convince him/her why moving the decimal point is an accepted method, not cheating. But to answer your question:
The formulae in that format are based on fractions equal to one.
1000 g
------ = 1 (cancel out, equal values)
1 kg
or equivalently 1kg/1000g. Therefore, to convert, say 3kg to grams:
[code]
3 kg 1000 g 3000 g
------ * ------ = ------
(1) 1 kg (1)
[/code]
The kilogram unit on numerator and denominator cancel, leaving 3000 g. The (1) I use to designate the nonexistence of a unit: the problem is equivalently 3kg*(1000g/kg)=300g.
This technique I have come to hate due to excessive use in our class. "2pi radians/360 degrees times 1 degree/60 minutes * 1 minute/60 seconds times the square of a joule divided by phi ohms..."
  • 1 month later...
Posted
I'm not sure what you mean. A histogram still is [b]defined[/b] differently. In a bar chart the frequency is represented by the y axis, ie [b]height[/b] of the vertical axis alone. But for histograms it is the [b]area[/b] of the blocks, not just the height.

Perhaps a couple of links would help.

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/asguru/maths/12methods/05data/23graphical1/principles.shtml[/url]

and

[url]http://www.mathsdirect.co.uk/pure/purtutstahis.htm[/url]

Hope this helps. :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...