Just my opinion but even though I haven't seen the Passion, I don't think that it should be compared to LoTR.
I mean, I suppose that the director wasn't TRYING to change the story, but it may happen in the editing process, etc.
About the flogging, Even the though Jesus was severly beaten, he wouldn't have died, because in real life, Pontius Pilate DIDNT want to kill Jesus... Not as much as I hear the Passion portrays. He did have the power to save Him, but he didn't, so he might be held responsible....
Also, If you are a Christian, you'd believe that Jesus is the Son of God, so he would be able to survive particularly brutal beatings... if it was His will, to save us from sin I mean...
I hope this touchy topic of faith doesn't get to personal, just remember, I won't accuse or flame ne1 just because of their opinion. It is America (where I live at least)
hasta luego
~Altron