[quote name='Konata']What do you mean by this ='(
My community has very few otaku. And when I do meet one, it's very awkward, as if I don't fit in. We'll get along but it's just so uncomfortable. Like sitting at Borders reading a manga or illustration book next to others (When I tried that, I felt so embarassed for some reason, hence why I don't sit on the floor to read these things anymore), meeting or talking to people at anime conventions (Last time I did that, the man who had spoken with me followed me throughout the whole entire anime convention (exception for one day because I was running about for one hour buying all of the merchandise I had planned to get) and still IMs me (He's a nice man but... he sorta creeped me out >_>)), or even talking to fans in my city. Maybe I'm just a different otaku? Or maybe I haven't been exposed to any true otaku? Like, I sorta wish I was in an anime club like Genshiken, lol. But then I dunno either. I think it might be a bit creepy. Besides, clubs like anime/manga/game clubs aren't allowed at my school anyway, ha-ha...
[/QUOTE]
Lately I've been throwing around the term "public" and "private" Otaku, or "casual" and "excessive" Otaku to determine varying degrees of being a "fan" or whatever definition people want to use. Just a quick question, but, would you consider yourself more of a "private" Otaku because its a bit awkward when you find other fans (with the exception of the OtakuBoards, obviously) ? Or is that simply because there aren't many Otaku around that you've been able to connect with? (Besides creepy guys at conventions, of course. There are always a few socially awkward ones at the cons that are a bit "creepy." )
---Sorry for all the quotation marks. I'm trying so hard here to be politically correct since I'm trying to take an intellectual stance on all of this; but I inevitably just end up sounding very vague on everything. :animestun