Metropolis the manga is somewhat based on the old Lang movie from the 20's... And the anime is based on that manga, although rather loosely. I guess the most recent comparison would be A.I., because the movie touches on the "can a robot love and be loved" thing quite a bit. I don't feel the plot is that thin, but it can be hard to follow at times.
The animation itself is amazing. I was happy when I saw the first shots of Metropolis, because it was a return to the old soft style of anime that no one does anymore. Everyone uses that pointy method that was popularized by Dragon Ball (and whatever other anime that has pointy hair). But this is such a double edged sword. All the characters look too Mickey Mouse Disney-ish. It's hard to take anyone seriously when they look like a doll. And then the main bad guy has a nose the size of a plane. It works well for Tima and Kodeichi (the two main kids), but most of the adults just look weird... The movie also uses that Looney Tunes circle wipe, which I haven't even seen in an American cartoon since Animaniacs.
The package itself it beautiful. The art when you open up the case is incredible and so colorful. There is no music CD. There are 2 DVDs in the case. One is the movie, and the second is a mini-DVD (the size of a GC disc) that has all the extras. Speaking of the music it really caught me off guard... Jazz and Ray Charles are the last things I expected.
It's good though, and right now it's $19.99 on sale at Suncoast... Generally it seems to go from 25 to 30.