OtakuBoards

American Anime Rip-offs

Shinobi

I have noticed Anime growing bigger and more popular right before my eyes. Pokémon started it all over here in Britian although i can't say for the USA. Anyway what i'm getting at here is that i have noticed a great deal of American shows jumping on the bandwagon and making american shows with american characters, american directors, american artists etc. but it is drew in anime style. They think they can make a normal cartoon but make everyones eyes big and bubbly, make them eat like horses and pull the usual anime things such as "the sweat drop", "the vien thing". The most shocking thing is...[b]it is working![/b].

A prime example of this is Totally Spies on FoxKids (I think in US it is on Cartoon Network). There are many more such as a new one, Muscle Fighters or something. What i'm getting at is that people are going to think Anime is for kids. All the new "anime" that is coming out is for kids and it isn't even real anime! It is american cartoons with anime features, they know that people will like it becuase of the anime/japanese craze right now.

So what are your views on this, do you think that these money grabbing Rip-Off kiddie shows are ruining anime as we know it? Or do you think it's all fun...i mean they do have big bubbly eyes! So give me your views.

[size=1] So what? It' doesn't really matter. If these American directors like the anime style, then they're in their own right to reproduce it, so long as their anime doesn't infringe on any copyright (anyone own the coyright for the bubbly eyes or sweat drops?). I mean, I live in a pretty much Americanized culture over here, and i am producing an Anime :p I would hate to think it was just passed off as a cheap Japanese rip off, I happen to like their artwork, I'll use a similar style. It's a phase that's been passed down for centuries and centuries. [/size]

I agree with you Shinji. See I have explained this in a similar topic, that was in the anime lounge. The japanese have used many americans styles. such as the squish-squash, and they don't mind. See that is the way I look at it. The japanese and the English are now friends, and they swap ideas about cartoons, etc..

I do not have a problem with it.

1. Japan copied American style first. Japan and America have been copying each other's art and animation styles for years. I don't see you complaining about how Japan "rips-off" America with Big O and Astroboy.

2. This thread is already being done in the Anime Lounge. Take it there.

3. This thread is closed.