OtakuBoards

Of Demons and Angels

Silent

Foreword:This story isn't a fanfiction.In fact,I don't even think it can be called a story.It's just a rambling bit of inspiration I had one day.I'm going to try and finish it.It'll be the first story I've ever finished in almost. . .::Thinks back::. . .four years of writing.However,I won't continue unless I get some kind of positive response.The last thing I want is to spam up the OtakuBoards with a story that nobody even reads.By the way,it may seem kind of stupid now,but I guarantee that it will get darker and more depthful as it progresses.Well,so,here goes nothing. ..Oh,and I'm also still looking for a better title. . .Open to suggestions. . .
________
Chapter 1--

Algebra 1a,second period.Otherwise known as Hell.This was the current dispostion of our heroine--me,Kathryn Wisdume.Stuck in math class with the never ending blather of Mr.Tier.He was a portly,half-bald old man who was shaped in a most turtle-ish way.His back kind of. . .sloped up to his head,and the said head was almost bald on top except for a sparse few long white hairs.I'd taken to affectionately(and by that I mean "mockingly")calling him "Yurdle the Turtle" behind his back;that way,all the students would know who I was talking about,but the staff would be none the wiser.
But enough about Yurdle.The entire reasone I'm writing this is so that I can tell my story--a story that contains no magic,no science-fiction exploits,and no incredible,life altering events involving the supernatural.It's just a story about a sixteen-year old junior attending a crack-pot school in the middle of nowhere.Well,Mulberry Highschool isn't really all bad,I suppose.It's not the best,and it's not the worst.Though it's hard to believe that there are worse places on earth sometimes.This was one of those times.
I was stuck in math class,searching desperately for a way out with the pangs of super-boredom closing in upon me from all sides.I was trapped,trapped like a humanoid rat by the horrible hybrid of letter and numbers called Algebra.Yurdle continued to blather as he scribbled away on the overhead.I stared at the projection on the wall ahead,seeing the numbers but not really seeing anything at all.I could feel the brain cells in my head screaming for mercy as they died away.I came out of this almost comatose state long enough to look around the room.The boy next to me was lying face down on his desk,asleep.The girl behind me was staring inot space somewhere,a spittle of drool hanging from her mouth.I could tell I wasn't the only one being submitted to the torturous stupor that Yurdles's very prescence inflicted.It was slaughter--SLAUGHTER,I SAY.We were being killed by this weapon of mass destruction disguised as a turtle-y,balding old man---
"Miss Wisdume?"
Yurdle's voice quite suddenly broke through my haze of boredom,mostly because he was addressing me.
"Huh--?"I sputtered stupidly.
"Miss Wisdume,where's your textbook?"He demanded with an annoying air of superiority.Indeed,I didn't have my text book out,but we rarely needed it--he usually spewed the entire thing to us each class period as well as every other absolutely useless fact he knew.
"I. . .ate it."I replied dully,sarcastically.
"As witty as ever,Miss Wisdume,"Yurdle replied disapprovingly,"Will you please retrieve your textbook and see me after class--"A demand,not a request,as usual,"And as for the rest of you--stop laughing,Miss Wisdume's comments are rarely funny and this is no exception.The next snicker I hear will earn a detention.Now,about the number five.See,in under water exploration. . ."
I reached down to my backpack on the floor and fished out my book with exaggerated labor,dropping it onto my desk with a heavy sigh.Yurdle had now continued on in his useless prattle and I had tuned out again.I shook myself to attention,knowing that I needed to stay awake.
~Really~I told myself,~if you go to sleep,you'll be clueless on the homework~
But I felt myself slipping and the next thing I knew,Yurdle was doing a tap dance and a monster chicken was drooling in the seat beside me.I knew,vaguely,that I had fallen asleep.That was the power of Yurdle--to make you fall asleep while thinking about how you need to pay attention.
Yurdle,continuing his tap dance,had also begun to sing an opera version of my favorite heavy metal song.Meanwhile,the girl behind me leaned foward and asked,"Have you had your break today?"At this point,I was extremely confused,and I slouched down into my desk(which was now rainbow colored)in an attempt to escape all the craziness,even as the boy behind me(who was now a large goat in a McDonald's uniform)continued on to ask if I wanted fries with that.
Quite suddenly,a large hand was placed on my shoulder,startling me at first.However,there was a calming element to the action,and I felt very at ease.I twisted around in my seat to see who the owner of the hand was.I blinked.I was relieved to find that it wasn't a goat or a chicken.In fact, I couldn't tell *what* it was for a second,as there was a strange bit of light enveloping it--a light that seemed infinitely bright and yet abysmally dark.The light(if that's,indeed,what one would call it)receded eventually and I blinked again.It was a boy--a guy.A guy I hadn't seen in almost four years.I was surprised to find that his face so readily sprung to the forefront of my memory.
Bright,playful blue eyes were just visible beneath a fringe of unruly,jet black hair.A lean body--much taller and broader than I remembered--was clothed in a plain,form fitting black tee-shirt and a pair of plain,baggy black pants,riddled with chains and zippers and the like.There was a faint quirk to his lips that matched the mischief in his eyes,and his jaw had a five o'clock shadow.Everything about him seemed somehow dark--from the chains that encircled his neck and wrists,to the bulky black and silver rings that adorned each of his ten fingers,to the simple feeling I received from his presence(not a bad feeling,just a.. .feeling).Everything--except for one(or rather,two)things--

The massive,feathery white wings on his back.

Okay,let's back track a bit.Remember when I said that this story wouldn't contain any "amazing,life altering events involving the supernatural"?Well--I lied.

"Hiya,Kit,"He said brightly,stepping down completely to the ground for the first time.His hands were thrust into his pockets, and he came to stand in front of me as if we had never seen a day apart from each other,and as if he *weren't* sporting magnificent,9 foot,ivory wings.
"Hi. . .hi,Josh."I said in a stunned voice,"What. . .What're *you* doing in my dream?"
Instead of answering my question straightaway,he looked around the room,at the giant chicken and the monster goat and the tap dancing math teacher."Well,"He said finally,"It's easier to communicate with people through their dreams,so long as one is on good terms with the dragons."
I stared at him skeptically,my shock gone.This was just a dream,I reminded myself,it's not real.He might as well have just been another chicken.
"Riiiiiiiiight,"I replied with a role of my eyes,"Dragons.Makes perfect sense.Or actually,it doesn't,and that's why it does--I mean,of course you'd be talking about dragons. . .You're just another part of my extremely screwed up psyche."
He smiled warmly at me,as if I were *SO* predictable.However,his eyes quickly became clouded with something sad and dark,"Believe me or don't,"He said finally,"It's your choice.But. . .well. . .I'm an angel.Of sorts.A Fallen Angel."
I stared at him for a long moment.
"Uh---what?"I asked,eyes still quite wide.
"It happened three years ago,"He said casually.
"What happened?"
"I died."
". ..oh. . ."
"Y'know that steel company my dad worked for?"He asked,"Well they offered him a job in some middle-of-nowhere town in Ireland.So we moved.There was this forest. . ."His eyes misted over as he continued,and he stared not at me,but at my multi-colored desk surface,"I loved to wander back there.It was always so calm and peaceful.The first time I ever wandered those woods was my last.I don't know what it was,still to this day.Something attacked me.Left me bleeding there in the grass.Some people say there's a light.There isn't.There's just the pain and anger and sadness. . ."There was a bite of bitterness to his voice now.I only sat there quietly.
"I'm. . .sorry."I said. . .What was I supposed to do--console him for his loss?
"Eh--"He said distractedly,"Not your fault.Anyway,the Creator wouldn't let me into Heaven--said he had *one* more job for me to do for him before everlasting peace.I was to be a guardian angel."
"So....."I pressed on,"What happened?"
"Well,"He said,"To make a long story short,I was attacked by vampyres--who,among a few other creatures,can see angels--about a year ago and,even though I thought it was impossible,I died--again.I was reborn by a daemon through the bitterness and hatred that had formed in my spirit's core.I became a fallen angel,bound to Earth forevermore because a daemon happened to sense the negativity in my soul."
I gawked at him,"Vam. . .pires. . .?"I asked slowly.
"No,no,Vam-PYRES,not 'pires'.There's a difference."He said,looking at me with that bemused expression that had become somewhat annoying.Just who did he think he was,barging into my dreams and spouting nonsense about dragons and angels and demons and vampires(vamPYRES,whatever)?!?
"Y'know,I must be really losing it if I'm dreaming crap like this,"I said flatly.
"I don't know,"He said idlely,"Maybe you are.Maybe you arn't.That's up to you to decide."
I rolled my eyes and made an exasperated noise,"Okay,okay,let's say that what you're telling me is true and that you're even real--what do you want with me?"
"Well,"He said slowly,fishing in his pocket until he produced a package of cigarettes and a lighter,"I'm prolly not s'pose to,but I came to tell you that you're world's about to be turned upside down,"He lit his cigarette and took a long drag off of it,"And you're about to play a big--very big--role in the 'grand scheme of things'."
"Wha--"
But he held a hand up a hand to silence the onslaught of questions I had begun to voice and cocked his head to one side,as if he'd heard something.
"The bell's just rung,"He said with a sad smile,as if he wished the bell were for him,"You'll be needed to wake up now.Don't worry,"He added,seeing the alarmed expression on my face,"We'll talk again.Until then--Good-bye,Kathryn Wisdume."

Quite suddenly,I was back in Yurdle's class.I was extremely confused.What the hell had just happened. . .?!?
____
End Chapter 1
_____