OtakuBoards

Boogiepop Phantom

Dagger

I recently saw all 12 episodes of BP and was extremely impressed. It's one of those series that requires a lot of thought--but the plot actually makes sense, and it's really rewarding to figure everything out for yourself.

The two things that struck me first was the show's amazing use of sound, and its unique visual style. All of the episodes but the last were shot through a sepia-tinted lens, which adds a certain darkness to the images.

I thought that the dub was adequate, but I'm now watching it again in Japanese..... and I'll probably watch the director's commentary after that, just so I don't miss any details. Boogiepop Phantom is incredibly well plotted; details that seem insignificant in the first few episodes turn out to be vitally important later on.

Overall, BP is an amazing and original horror anime. It's been compared to Serial Experiments Lain numerous times. Since I loved BP, I'm now interested in watching Lain. If you've seen both shows, how do they compare? And if you've seen or are planning to see Boogiepop, I'd like to hear your take on it.

~Dagger~

Guest Le-chan
I seen it, but I DIDN'T like it. I don't like the style, plus in this one ep. there was this guy that was EATING spiders!?! I HATE spiders!! *shivers* Also, it confuses me... alot... but I am easily confused... most of the time... hehehe

Yes, well, Boogiepop definitely isn't for everyone.

I personally enjoyed the part about the spiders. ^__^;; The boy who that episode centered around struck me as a rather compelling character, despite the fact that he had some serious personality flaws.

One of the things I like most about BP is the way it juxtaposes a surreal, dark storyline with complex, believable, and realistic characters.

~Dagger~

I'm sorry but I JUST watched an episode...I watch it because I'm bored...and I don't like it...I never will either...that show...it has problems...I don't like the style....I hate the sceans events going back and forth like that...it makes me go out of my mind with confusion...I ask myself if I switch a scean when I'm on a different one...I just don't like it....even Hamtaro's better than that show **shudders**and I hate Hamtaro....Boogie Pop is just some person messing with other minds for fun

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]I bought the Ultimate Limited Extra Super New Special Box Set that came out just a month ago or so. Though I watched about three episodes during my time in Venezuela on the Locomotion network, I didn't follow the series closely. However, now I'm watching it from the beginning. So far I've watched four episodes, and I'm very interested in trying to figure out some of the odd stuff that goes on in the show. So far I can't help but be drawn at its unique and crude style. Very good show so far.[/color][/font]

you managed to finish that horrid series. Dear god I watched 10 eps and it hurt my head. you should really look for the book it's based on. the anime is a disgrace to it.

On the upside it had a nice art style.......

At the moment I can't think of the book it's based on but as soon as I get to my house i'll update my post.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by craig8429 [/i]
[B]you managed to finish that horrid series. Dear god I watched 10 eps and it hurt my head. you should really look for the book it's based on. the anime is a disgrace to it.[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm sure that the book is excellent.

What made Boogiepop Phantom "horrid," in your opinion? It didn't hurt my head--however, it [i]did[/i] make me think. I loved mentally putting together the individual storylines and subplots, and watching them cohese into a greater whole. Of course, that may not be everyone's favorite pastime, which is why BP only appeals to a certain audience.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]I'm sure that the book is excellent.

What made Boogiepop Phantom "horrid," in your opinion? It didn't hurt my head--however, it [i]did[/i] make me think. I loved mentally putting together the individual storylines and subplots, and watching them cohese into a greater whole. Of course, that may not be everyone's favorite pastime, which is why BP only appeals to a certain audience.

~Dagger~ [/B][/QUOTE]

Well I happened to read the book before the seeing the series, the book has alot more to it. so the anime was somewhat crammed togeather leaving alot of parts out.

it hurt my head because alot of the dubbed voices were annoying, and the storyline was weirdly odd.

• 6 months later...
[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]I took a test because I was bored, and it said "You belong in the series...BOOGIEPOP PHANTOM!!!" So, I started wondering what it would be like.

Skippedry already stated (somewhere : / ) that it was quite similar to my beloved Paranoia Agent, so I'm almost certain I'd love this one.
From what I've read here, BP utilizes interesting screen techniques--one gets bored of the same old pans and zooms after a while, so this should be neat...^^

And what book is this?? The title, if you please? If it's been mentioned before, and I missed it, my deepest appologies, but I'd like to know if it's been translated into English or if it was written in a language I understand to begin with...>_> I'd much rather read the book before watching the series, because I'm just like that.

*wanders off to find some Boogiepop Phantom rips*

: D[/FONT][/COLOR]

Guest gendou ikari
I, personally [B]love[/B] that series, though it did scare the **** out of me :D
It was, Dark, innovative, and original.

[quote name='Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]And what book is this?? The title, if you please? If it's been mentioned before, and I missed it, my deepest appologies, but I'd like to know if it's been translated into English or if it was written in a language I understand to begin with...>_> I'd much rather read the book before watching the series, because I'm just like that.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

The Boogiepop Phantom anime series and live-action movie are both based on a series of Japanese novels, none of which have been released in North America... at least not the last time I checked. :/ Apparently the books add a lot of depth to Boogiepop's story, which makes sense considering its enormous cast; the show's story is so compressed that some important characters are given only cursory cameos. Naturally, this doesn't make the plot any easier to follow. ^_~

Boogiepop Phantom is to Paranoia Agent as Neon Genesis Evangelion is to RahXephon. That's pretty much the simplest way to look at it. Once you watch Boogiepop Phantom, you'll see that the two series have a lot of things in common. But overall, I'd say that Boogiepop is more serious.

gendou, I'm interested in hearing what you have to say about BP. Care to elaborate? ^_^

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
I only saw the 1st ep. that came free with one of last year's Newtype mags. I liked the "feel" of the show and how the intro theme added to the ambience, but aside from that, the characters and storyline were too morbid and were a pain to watch. I fell asleep the first time I watched it. It wasn't at all scary and there wasn't much to think about, either. Now, I know that this was just the first episode, but I expected a show that grabs your heart from the beginning and won't let go until the end.

[quote name='MamoruAlpha']It wasn't at all scary and there wasn't much to think about, either. Now, I know that this was just the first episode...[/quote]

Obviously I can't convince you to like the series, but I'll try to explain why people often call it thought-provoking.

Boogiepop is structured in such a way that each episode has a different main character. Almost every single event and person ends up having some kind of significance. For example, in the first episode Moto encounters a senior who tells her she has a spider on her heart. [spoiler]Episode 2 focuses on that boy (Jonouchi), and shows the same scene from his perspective. I find it really cool to see someone who initially seemed like an important character suddenly being reduced to just another face in the crowd. In the end, even Jonouchi isn't terribly important.[/spoiler]

I think that Boogiepop portrays life more realistically than most other series. Events may have multiple causes or no cause whatsoever; minor encounters may be more important than one person's greatest dreams and aspirations. Its convoluted timeline--the episodes take place almost completely out of order--only adds to the fun.

~Dagger~

Wow. Didn't even know there was a Boogiepop thread here.

Personally, I enjoyed Boogiepop Phantom. Normally I am not a fan of the "dark and forboding" style of anime, but this one was very interesting. One of the best parts was the fact that small parts of one episode, that go unexplained, appear a few episodes later from the other perspective, clearing away some of the fog (so to speak). I do not like the idea of comparing it to Lain, mainly because I was disappointed by Lain.

Now that I have been reminded of that series I will have to rent it again. It has been awhile, and I have forgotten a lot. :p

• 2 weeks later...
I have heard of Boogiepop Phantom, but I've never gotten around to watching it yet. Dagger IX1, after reading your posts, I've really become intrigued, and I will definitely give this show a look. I'm always open to new and different things, so I'm sure I won't be dissapointed. Thanks. I'll let you know what I think about it after I've watched a few eps.

Guest gendou ikari
Ok, since you asked nicely, Dagger.

Boogiepop Phantom is nothing short of brilliant. Coming from me, that's awfully high praise; but in the case of this series, that praise is well deserved.

Boogiepop Phantom's story is driven almost entirely by its characters -- It has the most extensive character development
I've ever seen. Each episode tells the story of a different character or set of characters. The actions and development of every character interweave with one another throughout the series in intriguing and often unexpected ways to create the complete story. And the story that's put together piece by piece is extremely compelling. However, it can be confusing at times because of the way it's presented. Episodes frequently jump around among (mostly) three time periods: five years ago, one month ago, and the present. Because of that,
this is not a series that can be fully comprehended if it's only
watched casually. Translation: While watching this series, rid yourself of distractions and pay close attention to everything that happens. In addition, I recommend watching this series at least three times. Why three times? Because after you watch it for the first time all the way through, watching it again with the commentary track turned on will help you to gain a better understanding of and more insight into the series. After that, I recommend watching it with the commentary track turned
off at least one more time all the way through. Some people may have a complete understanding of the series after watching it only once, but what I described above was what I personally had to do in order to achieve that understanding. Yes, it really is that complex.

Boogiepop Phantom's story and character development aren't the only things that make it great. It also has a dark and twisted atmosphere that's fueled by a deranged and unsettling score and
dark tones (both in the animation and in dialogue) that permeate every scene. The shadowy border surrounding the ?camera lens? also helps to darken the mood.

A side note: There's one single shot in Boogiepop Phantom that is by far the creepiest thing I've ever seen on a television screen.
Believe me, you'll know it when you see it. Even the people
participating in the commentary track commented on how creepy it is.

Boogiepop Phantom is the most compelling, twisted, profound, and
intelligent series I have ever seen, animated or not. The writing is brilliant, the story and characters have incredible depth, the art direction is outstanding, the music sets the mood perfectly, and the English dubbing is first rate. In my mind, Boogiepop Phantom is the greatest thought provoking anime ever made.

Boogiepop Phantom is one of those shows that makes you think. I've seen every episode, and some of it still doesn't make sense. Maybe you all agree with me, or I'm just really stupid. Even though it doesn't really make sense to me, I will recomend this show to anyone who likes horror/thriller. It's worth the headaches you get from thinking about the movie so much. :sweat:

I finally was able to get my hands on some Boogiepop Phantom. So far Iv'e watched the first 3 episodes, and I'm very intrigued. Even though my head hurts from thinking so hard, It's mysterious vibe, multiple scenarios, and eerie sensation, exites me to see more. I can't wait to get though this series. Once I get through it, I'll give my final word. ;)

[COLOR=Blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I saw both Boogiepop and Lain. They comapre pretty well. They are both very good anime but I had a hard time understanding both oif them. I guess it was because I was watching both series late at night and probably missed out on something. Anyway if you seen Boogiepop then you better see Lain.[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 5 months later...
Guest ayanami
I watched this series a while ago, and I just can't figure it out all. But I can't seem to find anyone else that has watched it. So help me out what do you guys think?