OtakuBoards

How Anime Has Impacted America

AnimeAddict

Hi,

I need everyone's help on my history day project this year. I have chosen the topic "How Anime Has Impacted America". With everyone at otakuboards.com being an anime fan, naturally, I've decided to petition for help.

So, from a fan's perspective, how has anime imapcted america? J-rock, animation techniques, Disney, etc... Any help would be appreciated. Editorials too! ^^

FOR U.S RESIDENTS ONLY, PLEASE

Jumbled paragraph of thoughts:

It's provided an artistic outlet for the creatively-talented and/or otherwise socially ostracised younglings in America. What other recent fad has inspired writers, artists and hormonal young males collectively on such a level? And of course, the culture is reacting to this by profiting from Japanese animation and atristry techniques, foods, clothing, and anything else that can possibly be sold in a store near you.

[size=1] Well, for one thing, it has made many people more interested in Japanese culture and has also made hobbies of video games, drawing, and writing [fanfiction]. Anime also usually deals with more complex and much more mature themes than American cartoons like The Simpsons and Dextor's Laboratory.

Anime style drawing is now effecting American cartoons as well. Walt Disney first introduced the 'big eyes, small mouth' drawings, but Asian artists took it and exaggerated it to a great deal. They came up with the sparkly eyes, the sweatdrops, the expressions, etc. In the current cartoons Teen Titans, Jackie-Chan Adventures, and Totally Spies, anime-styled elements pop up all over the place. Even the creator of The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and Dextor's Laboratory has an interest in anime and it has affected his cartoons.

Shows such as Pokemon and Yugioh have done extremely well in America, with the TV show, video games, and trading cards. [/size]

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]

.....(and picking up were mal left off.) and as the anime fan grows he gets into more mature forms of anime. I myself used to be into DBZ and Pokemon. But as I grew, I out grew those less mature themes and got into shows such as Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and FLCL.

Other influences anime has made are in commercial mediums, such as the populaization of manga and commercials themselves such as the Johnny Danger commercial from T-Mobile for there new ohone/palm pilot. I'm sure the influences will countinue.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I'd say its pretty much become a quickly growing sub-culture of it self. Shows such as DBZ, Pokemon, and Yu-gi-oh have moved into mainstreem youth culture and the market seems to be growing, to the point where it has had a undeniable influance of several amaerican made cartoons of recent years.

I think that its helped alot of young artist as well. At my school theirs a lot of talented people most of which look at Japanese anime. They use some of the art styles the see on tv.(or at least try to copy the styles)to improve their art work(plus its real fun to draw alot of the anime in stead of circles with eyes the power puff girls for example

In my parents' time, you would never have been able to walk into Borders and immediately locate the next volume of "Demon Diary" or "RahXephon." Nowadays, it's possible to find numerous J-rock sites in Russian and even Portuguese. On anime-centric message boards such as OB, people from all over the world discuss various aspects of Japanese culture. The growing popularity of anime and manga indicates just how much globalization has spread over the past few years.

In other words, the times are a-changin'. ^_~

~Dagger~