OtakuBoards

Narutaru

Godelsensei

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]I must say, though it is weird, and highly, well, unusual, I love this show. For any one who has seen the first episode, and brushed it off as a little kids' show, I am telling you, it's not one. Give the second or third episodes a go, and you'll see what I mean.

There's just something about Narutaru that caught my attention: not only is it incredibly insightful, disturbing on so many different levels, but it really changes your views on some aspects of life if you take it seriously enough.

I was just wondering if any one else had seen it, as I only know one person (the one who introduced it to me) with whome I can discuss it.

If you havent seen/heard of it, I highly recomend you try it out.

And the first episode is to be disregarded. "I need more paper!" Aiya~a...let's put it this way: this show was licensed until the company saw the second episode. Then, they canceled their license--it would have been too much for the kiddies.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Well, I've only watched the first episode of Narutaru. At this point, it may be near-impossible for me to acquire anything beyond that, so I won't have any opportunity to see the truly disturbing stuff. Alas, woe is me. ;_;

Regardless of how Narutaru's tone and atmosphere may change in later episodes, I strongly dislike its artwork. That wouldn't necessarily stop me from continuing to follow the series, but its character designs really bother me. The kids are gangly, skinny to the point of emaciation, and their facial features aren't particularly well drawn. Shiina's hair has an interesting, rounded sort of look (as opposed to the sharp-edged spikes seen in most anime), but it doesn't do anything special for me.

It's also clear that this show was made on a pretty tight budget. So if I manage to get my hands on the rest of it, I'll know not to look for any stunning animation. I'm just interested in seeing just how serious and dark Narutaru becomes.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]The style is really different, through both the plot and the art. I, myself, actually quite like the character designs, despite how anorexic they look. Heh...I guess I just like weird art styles. I, myself, went through a phase where everything I drew had a long neck, dainty hands and gangly arms and legs.

Anyway, the poor animation can be excused, as the show is still brilliant, despite its low budget. It's sad how things turn out like that, eh?

Though the ending theme is still a complete rip-off of Gundam Wing. T_T How dissapointing. Maybe they were making fun of it...? Or trying to...? o.o

Anyway...DON'T YOU LOVE THE OPENING? Sorry for the all-caps, but I think they were necessary.

*goes off into a daze*

Yoku hareta nichiyoubi no asa ni...
Boku wa machiawase no ano basho de...
Waraiau kodomo-tachi wo nagame nagara,
Kimi ga kuro no wo zutto matteite...

The opening theme will make you cry after you see a few more episodes...>.> Hard to imagine that, though, huh?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 9 months later...
According to AnimeonDVD, Narutaru seems to be licensed by CPM (which is, in an amusing coincidence, the same company that owns the rights to Now and Then, Here and There). Maybe now I'll finally have a chance to watch the show in its entirety. I never did make it past the first three episodes--although heaven knows I've heard more than enough about the infamous "test tube" incident that apparently takes place later on in the show... ^_^;;

~Dagger~