OtakuBoards

Perfect Blue

JC Goodwin

The other day i picked up a copy of the film Perfect Blue and i have to say that it was the worst anime i ever seen. I thought the story line was boring and the whole film felt like it lacked imagination. Also i dont get the character development cause one minute she was a pop star and then a film star. Whats the transaction there?
One good bit of the film was thought that guy who was stalking her looked like a real
physco. He was cool !!

Okay, Perfect Blue is not a crap anime. It's a psychological movie. You actually have to watch it a few times to understand it, and follow it as you would a novel. It lacked imagination? Do you know what even happened in it?
If all you got out of it was that the "guy who was stalking her" was cool, maybe it just isn't for you.

I'm going to have to go with oshi on this one. Now I admit I wasn't a fan of the movie to begin with, but after watching two or three times and picking up what I had missed the first time, I actually enjoyed it, and still do. But, getting back on track...The transition between singing and acting is a common thing amongst our super stars, some want to act and some want to sing. Its a publicity thing.
But if you had payed attention, the stalker who you thought was cool...wasn't really stalking Mima-rin the main character. He was being told to go mess with her and kill her by the fake Mima-rin which is the real Mima-rins best friend who is self-conscience about her self and jealous of the real Mima-rin. If you understood any of that, then I have made my point.

Guest PutrescentTalk
I really liked Perfect Blue. I thought some of the parts were pretty trite and cliche, but I thought on a whole it served its purpose as a psychological thriller. I think it really helps that the animation was good and that it was animated to begin with. I don't think it would work out as live-action.

It's one of the better anime feature length films I've seen.

Guest Justin Carr
[QUOTE=PutrescentTalk]I really liked Perfect Blue. I thought some of the parts were pretty trite and cliche, but I thought on a whole it served its purpose as a psychological thriller. I think it really helps that the animation was good and that it was animated to begin with. I don't think it would work out as live-action.

It's one of the better anime feature length films I've seen.[/QUOTE]

Actually there is a live-action version of this. Here a review of it:

[url]http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/perfbyns.shtml[/url]

Guest PutrescentTalk
[QUOTE=Justin Carr]Actually there is a live-action version of this. Here a review of it:

[url]http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/perfbyns.shtml[/url][/QUOTE]

Well, I think in part the reviewer agrees with me. Or at least I was right about a live-action version of Perfect Blue not faring so well.

[QUOTE=Justin Carr]Actually there is a live-action version of this. Here a review of it:

[url]http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/perfbyns.shtml[/url][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Hi Justin Carr! I just wanted to let you know that next time you make a post, you can put something about the review instead of just posting the link, which is against the rules. Hope this helps.

As for Perfect Blue, I didn't like it, but it wasn't because I thought it sucked. I didn't like it because it freaked me out. I thought it was very well done. I love psychological shows/movies, especially like Evangelion, and this one fits right up there. Alot of people consider it one of those must-sees of every anime fan. I haven't watched in about four years, but I remember that I liked the animation alot. It was gorgeous. I loved the twisted storyline and how it messed with your mind. I suggest that you watch it again.[/color][/size]

[color=firebrick] The movie still reminds me of the book 'The Bell Jar'.

Well, personally, I loved the movie. It was extremely well done in the aspects of psychology/insanity and the story was portrayed well. I still need to get the DVD, though. =_=. If you liked this movie, though, you should check out 'Millenium Actress'. It's made by the same person and I actually think it's better than Perfect Blue.[/color]