OtakuBoards

Matter and Anti-matter

Venge

I've searched the net all over the WWW and back again using any search engine i could think of. But I couldnt find an answer to my question: Can matter and anti-matter exist as one form and if so, how is it possilbe without following the laws of physics? Please, if anyone has anything on this subject please post it.

Ugh! *slaps his forehead* You cannot and will never find matter AND anti-matter together as one substance. It's compleately immpossible. As is the way with and acid and a base, they would cancel each other out. They would then no longer be matter and anti-matter anymore. They would be a completely different nuetral substance. This is all in theory though. ;)

[quote name='Gelgoog Pilot']Ugh! *slaps his forehead* You cannot and will never find matter AND anti-matter together as one substance. It's compleately immpossible. As is the way with and acid and a base, they would cancel each other out. They would then no longer be matter and anti-matter anymore. They would be a completely different nuetral substance. This is all in theory though. ;)[/quote]

You're half right there-

Actually they'd be nothing but a clump of energy, after they cancel each other out.

[quote name='Gelgoog Pilot']As is the way with and acid and a base, they would cancel each other out. They would then no longer be matter and anti-matter anymore. They would be a completely different nuetral substance.[/quote] [font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]While they would be an [i]overall[/i] neutral substance, each molecule would still express its philicity. Take a look at the mechanisms of hydrogen fluoride in a crown solvent.[/color][/font]

[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]While I've heard of anti-matter, that's as far as my knowledge of it goes. Keeping with the name of this thread, someone care to tell me what anti-matter is? Particularly, I'd like to know what makes it different than matter, and why it has the "anti" prefix.[/color][/font]

Anti matter is.... well... nothing. Its just, no matter at all i guess. I can't explain it. I'm not sure why there would be the anti prefix for the word, because as far as I know, matter and anti matter are opposites, but antimatter is just nothing. Anti (i guess) means against. Maybe it is against matter.

Dont mind me...

:alcohol:
Im crazy.

[SIZE=1]Try this.

[URL=http://livefromcern.web.cern.ch/livefromcern/antimatter/][U]Click Here[/U][/URL]

or

[URL=http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast29may_1m.htm][U]Click Here[/U][/URL]

These are two good sites that should give you everything you need to know about antimatter.

I don't know how you could have searched the entire Web and through a whole bunch of search engines and not find anything. Maybe you weren't looking too hard because I'm pretty sure I found both of these sites in under 30 seconds by typing it into google.com. Both of these sites use science to explain the basis of anti-matter and matter so your question should be answered.[/SIZE]

[left][size=2][color=sienna](If you're a gluttonous blob like me, or just too lazy to click on the links...)[/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=2][color=sienna][quote][/color][/size][size=2][color=sienna] [font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=black][b]FACT[/b][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/left]

[left][font=Times New Roman]The world's largest scientific research facility--Switzerland's [i]Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire [/i](CERN)--recently succeeded in producing the first particles of antimatter. Antimatter is identical to physical matter, except that is it composed of particles whose electric charges are opposite to those found in normal matter.[/font][/left]
[left][font=Times New Roman]Antimatter is the most powerful energy source known to man. It releases energy with 100 percent efficiency [/font][font=Times New Roman](nuclear fission is 1.5 percent efficient). Antimatter creates no pollution or radiation, and a droplet could power New York City for a full day... [/font][/left]

-Dan Brown

[left][size=2][color=sienna][/quote][/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=2][color=#a0522d]That's the gist of it. Like Gelgoog said, matter and antimatter would cancel each other out. Keeping in mind that air is matter too, antimatter has to be stored in a vacuum. [/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=2][color=#a0522d]This stuff would be chocolate for terrorists if it were to be used without caution. It's practically untrackable. As soon as it comes into to contact with matter, they cancel each other out, which in lamens terms means 'boom!'.[/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=2][color=#a0522d]Everything comes with an opposite.[/color][/size][/left]

I wouldn't like to be the one to possibly lead this thread astray from its original purpose, but I simply have to ask this question: Since living beings (as we know them) are made of matter, is it conceivable that a life form could be made of antimatter? (I know this sounds like a stupid question, as I'm pretty sure that the answer is "No, Shinken. You're a moron.", but I figured I'd ask.)

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]My mother constantly talks about anti-matter and matter. The statement about acids and bases was pretty much the gist I got from her.

[I]'If you were to--hypothetically, of course--bring pasta and antipasti together, would they cancel each other out?[/I]

Heh. My friend's brother says that alot.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Yes, I have read articles about the power source possibilities of anti-matter.....the only problem is, we currently don not the the technology to apply it or use it properly. Kinda sucks really. We have the ultimate power source in the known universe and in huge quantities, and we can't even used it yet. Kinda ironic.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Well there's no antimatter just around for us to grab at, you see. We can synthetically produce antimatter, but in such tiny amounts that it's hardly useable for anything more than measuring its properties, and even then just barely.